Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-29-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
I need to buy a helmet for the cable park. What do you guys reccomend? tried to look at pro tec's webstie and there are no wake/water helmets on it.? I like the looks of the pro tec's that I have seeen just cant find any on the internet.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-29-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
Have you tried Google? They are everywhere.

http://www.pro-tec.net/helmets.php#all
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-29-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
If you're going to wear a helmet, I recommend getting one with ear flaps to prevent ear drum blowout. This probably goes without saying, but you'll probably want a helmet that's vented as well.

Here's the one I bought over the winter but haven't used yet:
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-30-2013, 4:26 AM Reply   
Austin, that's the one I bought, except it has the visor, The Watts. The Bern helmets with Brock foam have really worked great for me, and while the ear flaps may not come into play every fall, the few times they do, they're worth their weight in gold.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-30-2013, 4:33 AM Reply   
I use a triple eight helmet. I have found it to be the most padded/comfortable. It is vented, but will not protect from ear drum blowouts. Also was only $40 or so.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-30-2013, 5:10 AM Reply   
As silly as it is... when I've got to TJ Maxx before they've actually had a pretty good assortment of helmets... why? Who knows. But, a true story.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-30-2013, 2:14 PM Reply   
used a bunch of waterproof helmets over the years and honestly think they all suck. Much prefer regular skate pads. Soaks up sweat and when you get hot in the summer you can dunk it in the water and it keeps your head cool. Fits my head better and is just more comfortable.
Currently have a pro-tec B2 skate helmet that I've been using for years. Also really like the classic skate.
Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-31-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
See i ordered a classic pro tec but at the time i thought it was a wake one. I got it in the night i left oklahoma down to texas to spend spring break in the cabins at BSR so i just took the skate model that i ordered with me and it absolutely sucked in the water. the pads came out it smelled no good! I don't like ear coverage and don't believe ill bust an ear drum at the cable because i usually ride boat no helmet and we go faster than the cable on boat. On the pro tec website there are no wake/water helmets and i don't want to end up with another skate one! where can i pick a different one up at? And whats the best wake/water pro tec model?
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-31-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
I use a pro-tec two face. It's a water helmet with a small visor on one side. It's reversible so you can wear it with the visor in front or back. I don't think they make it anymore, but you can still find it online.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-31-2013, 5:09 PM Reply   
I should mention I also had a bern before that and the pro-tec is more comfortable to me
Old     (TarahMik)      Join Date: May 2010       03-31-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Check out Shred Ready. They're really comfy & don't hold water. My personal favorite is the Sesh shape.
Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-31-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
tarah could you post some pics of the underside of the helmet like the pads and stuff please? and where did you get it from
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-01-2013, 7:37 AM Reply   
Best. Helmets. Ever. http://www.shredready.com/products.php
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
Pro-Tec does not make water specific helmets anymore. I have a two face and contacted them to get a replacement ear flap and said they have no parts for them either so I would look for another brand.
Old     (Richardd)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-02-2013, 6:25 AM Reply   
i just got a Gath helmet. really good for ear protection (esp as the one I got has moulded ear protection). I work in sound, so burst eardrum is not something I can risk.

they're lower profile than other helmets I've tried, so potentially less absorption/impact protection. That said, as is confirmed by their marketing blurb, this is to minimise the 'bucket effect' of getting whiplash from hitting the water hard with a larger surface area than a normal sized head.

seems a good trade-off to me, and it's very comfortable to wear.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
I actually find Shred Ready incredibly uncomfortable and cumbersome, seems to sit on mine and others' heads in an odd way. Great if multiple people are using the same helmet, but not for a long day's riding.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2013, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
If you're going to wear a helmet, I recommend getting one with ear flaps to prevent ear drum blowout. This probably goes without saying, but you'll probably want a helmet that's vented as well.

Here's the one I bought over the winter but haven't used yet:
Where is that from/what model? I can't find it on Bern's website.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-03-2013, 9:42 AM Reply   
also check this website every day or so http://www.dealadaywake.com/ they throw up some awesome deals on year old boards sometimes and bindings to boot.. ha... ok... but if you see something up there or i do and it might fit the bill you can comment and tell us and Im sure we can help tell you if its a good deal or not. If the board didnt change from 12 to 13 and you like the older graphic fine/better then why not save ~50% of you money right?
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-03-2013, 9:42 AM Reply   
.... and thats to the wrong thread... I am all over the place today
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-03-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
website works for helmets too so.. guess it works...
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-03-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
It's probably a previous years' model. I got it for a fairly reduced price around Black Friday. It's the "Macon H2O" model. Here's a link to the current years' model on Bern's website: http://bernunlimited.com/shop/h20/me...d-hat-353.html

If you want one like mine, you can go to shopping.google.com or ebay.com and search for "bern macon h2o". I would probably do that anyway rather than buying directly from Bern's website, since you can probably find a better sale price somewhere else.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-03-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
I use a pro-tec skate helmet. Works fine for me. If it's good enough for protecting your head from concrete, then I think you'll be fine on those plastic features at the cable park.
Old     (tdickman4)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-04-2013, 5:23 AM Reply   
Just get a cheap one that fits well. Pro-tecs aren't too bad and they hold up
Old     (Rockinrhino)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-04-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Bern Macon Summer EPS Helmet
I got mine at altrec.com