Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2013, 7:25 PM Reply   
Have any of you guys seen any flat billet or similar type mounting plates for a 1/2 din pre-amp that looks good with a 420?

I've got a couple installs coming up that i'll have to cut a hole for the 420. These jobs are at a marina, and far away from my shop. Cutting the hole for these has to be absolutely perfect.

Any pics or links are appreciated!
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       03-15-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
John,

while the plates listed in the link say malibu the will fit a large aray of boats. I designed the bracket when I had my 420. If you do a search on the malibu crew you wil find a bunch of pictures. Sky ski can have the brackets finished in a variety of polish anodizing etc. hope this helps.

http://skyski.com/store/accessories-en-2.html
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-15-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
John,
If it is a trimplate for a flushmount application then the easiest would be to use black ABS that matches the EQ. It's especially easy to mill and finish. Make an MDF template of an estimate of what you need. Use a router with a flushcut bit with various bearings. By changing bearings you can pre-fab a number of sizes from a single template before you go. Also, it is relatively easy to modify an exterior corner or shape once in the field. A fine flat file, sandpaper, SEM dye and a box to spray in is all you would need to do the finishing touches on location. The inside opening won't change. I'll be glad to fill in the details for you.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-15-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
liljohn, I found those last night, and did search malibucrew pretty throroughly. I like that piece, but was looking for something without the taller face, and without the screw holes.

Dave, I could make one, but the lines would be horrible. No matter what, I cant cut plastic or acrylic straight to save my life.

The boat is an open-bow 30' Sea Ray SLX. There's a compartment at the helm that opens where the switch panel and keys are. A cooler and table are stored in the floor. There's a large black kingboard panel in there with the OEM Sony head unit, I want to mount the 420 below it. All of that is wide open, and no room for error. I just need a trim bezel thats fabricated from CNC or some other type of non-hand cut machine, so the lines are perfect.

Thanks for the info so far!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-16-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
John,
If you are trying to cut straight lines with a jig saw or free-hand by any other means then you are going about it the hard way. The right tools and right technique make this is a very exact process...and easy. Give me a call and I'll walk you through a process or two that will also serve you well in many other applications.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-16-2013, 4:51 PM Reply   
I'll give you a call this week David. I could probably manage the outside, it's the inside around the eq that I'd have trouble with.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-16-2013, 6:15 PM Reply   
The inside is a walk in the park.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-18-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
Here is one that I am working on with my router table.

It will house 3 Carling switches for ballast and EQ turn on and house the EQ as well. I still need to finish out the ED hole so I left it a little small until I can get my hands on the EQ and get it exact. Also need to shape the piece

Going to put my pattern bit on it and replicate on 1/4" ABS - sand and dye to make it look real nice.

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-21-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
So here's what I came up with......

I didn't even thing about using the router table and a flush trim bit for this. I dug out an old 87-93 Ford Mustang kit with the EQ provision, filed it down to fit the WS-420, and flush trimmed the wood panel with the kit.

Thanks for all the tips, and thanks for the phone call <-- you know who you are...