Boat: '01 Malibu Sunsetter VLX.
I am do a partial re-wire on the boat along with stereo/battery upgrades. As part of this I will be relocating the battery. Currently I have a cheapie group 29 in a battery box in the back of the port locker (not ideal). Here are my electrical needs:
Stereo: Polk D4000.4, powering my 4 Exile SXT65 towers 125x4 @ 4ohm. Polk D5000.5, powering 4 Polk MM651 in-boats (2.7 ohm, around 90x4 watts RMS) + Polk MM1240DVC (400x1 @ 2ohm).
Ballast: Three Johnson reversible pumps.
Remainder of electrical: running a heater, LS1 motor, some LED's, not much else. 55amp alternator, freshly rebuilt last season.
I want to do dual batteries + charger + Perko. I plan to install the batteries under the observer seat as we don't utilize that storage area very well. Basic dimensions are 15" wide x 29" long x 8.5" high. Those numbers can be fudged a bit depending on how the batteries are placed, but height is a fixed number.
Plan was to just run one battery at a time, leaving the other as a back-up (and switching batteries per outing to keep the wear even). We don't pound the stereo for long periods of time with the boat off (and most of the time have it at normal levels regardless) so having a dedicated house battery seems a bit unnecessary. The current Group 29 has been more than enough currently, though that's with only the D4000.4 ran 4 channel 2ohm and a self powered sub. We trailer the boat all season except for 1 week when at a lake house where it stays in the water (no shore power).
- Battery choice? I thought these were a good deal (Deka Group 34M AGM's) and would fit perfectly side-by-side still leaving 2/3 of the observer storage area open: http://www.remybattery.com/deka-inti...m-battery.aspx
- There are a zillion Perko switches to choose from. Which makes the most sense?
- What on-board charger should I go with? I hear good things about ProMarine chargers...they suggested the ProNautic P 1220 but that seems a bit pricey. The ProSport 20 Gen 2 seemed like a good match.
- What gauge wire should I run from each battery to the Perko (which I assume would be the same as the ground wire to the ground distro block? What gauge power wire from the Perko to the alternator (which again should be the same as the ground from the block to the engine ground)? What gauge wire from the driver's helm to the Perko/ground block? It has 50 amp service and looked like 4awg from a quick glance currently.
- How should I secure the batteries? Battery boxes are obviously not going to fit. I planned to use battery box cleats to keep them in one spot but what about tying them down? http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1337
- What power/ground distribution block should I use?