Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-24-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   

After watching a slew of Kiteboarding videos I'm a little curious why the world treats it as a different sport than wakeboarding. If cableboarding and boatboarding are still "wakeboarding" when both use different methods to pull the rider->why is a kite so different? Why isn't it called wakeboarding as well?
Just curious if there's a real reason or if that's just the way the world evolved.
What are your thoughts?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-24-2013, 7:20 PM Reply   
Have you ever tried kiteboarding? Its like saying snowboarding and skateboarding are the same thing. Close, but not really.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-25-2013, 12:00 AM Reply   
kiteboarding like any sails sport demand huge skills in driving of sail - kite. And it's main thing in this sport. When you ride on wakeboard do you drive a boat or a cable?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-25-2013, 3:58 PM Reply   
Well, I know what cableboarding is and I know what wakeboarding is so boatboarding must be riding behind an I/O?
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-25-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
Quote:

After watching a slew of Kiteboarding videos I'm a little curious why the world treats it as a different sport than wakeboarding. If cableboarding and boatboarding are still "wakeboarding" when both use different methods to pull the rider->why is a kite so different? Why isn't it called wakeboarding as well?
Just curious if there's a real reason or if that's just the way the world evolved.
What are your thoughts?
Kiteboarding is riding on a board using a kite for propulsion.
Cableboarding is riding a board using a cable for propulsion.
Wakeboarding is riding a board behind a wake producing object (boat, jetski, etc.)

Riding cable or kite IS NOT wakeboarding even though a wakeboard is used.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-25-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
The "wake style" side of kiting is very small with many other (mostly kooky) facets to it......wave riding, racing, big air and old geezers mowing the lawn thinking they're rad.
You can't really just lump the sport together with wakeboarding as it's mostly very different and super hard to make "wake" tricks look legit.
Old     (baska)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-26-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   

from Jewell&Ginnie on Vimeo.

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-26-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
I watched an advanced kiteboarder hit cable for his first time and kill it with the air-tricks. I like the idea of it being just another form of tow, but I have flown a trainer kite enough to know that it requires as much kite skills as boarding skills.

I've considered buying a kiteboarding set-up. I'm sure that if I dropped a grand on kite gear the wind would never blow again. It is kinda a win-win.
Old     (mpfiste2)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-26-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
I've thought about buying a kite set up myself. How long does it take to become functional with it. I live in Nebraska and the wind blows a lot.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-26-2013, 1:39 PM Reply   
I am a kiteboarder. It ain't easy. hands down, the best sport there is. Nothing to compare to it. And better yet, because you are attached to the kite at the waist (unless you are doing some trick), you can do it for hours. Its not like hanging on to a rope with a boat. I have had leasurely kite cruising sessions that lasted about 3 hours. Can't do that wakeboarding.

But its tempermental. When there isn't wind, there is no kiting. When the wind is too gusty, there is no kiting. And when there is a malfunction on the water, it can be really bad.

Not to mention, if you fail at landing a trick, unless you get that kite back up to 12, you're going to hit the water, actually be pulled into the water, at a very fast speed. Imagine screwing up a wakeboard air, except you can't let go, and the boat is still going to be pulling you.

With that said, I've seen 65 years olds doing it. Its a sport that rewards thoughtful behavior, and will severely punish stupidity.

as to how long it takes. You MUST take lessons. You might be able to figure it out on your own, but not without risking your life and the lives of people around you. The power these kites have is NO JOKE. You'll be snatched up faster than anyone's powerful boat around here. If you were to spend 2 full days with an instructor, most people here would know enough to go out and safely learn on their own.

I kite mainly in the warm gentle Pamlico sound in North Carolina (one of the world's best spots for kiteboarding), but have also kiteboarding in Maui (crazy) and the British Virgin Islands off Anegada.

Last edited by CarZin; 02-26-2013 at 1:43 PM.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-26-2013, 4:52 PM Reply   
Right now I'm in Cabarete, Dominican Republic, and the skill of the kiters here blows my mind, but I've seen several of the locals bite it pretty hard, and one guy wrecked his kite. Sobering stuff. Even the guys just standing on shore get yanked a few feet in the air from time to time.

CarZin, what town are you near? I'll be in Buxton in April windsurfing.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-26-2013, 6:12 PM Reply   
I am up in Nags Head but I go to Waves and launch at Kitty Hawk Kites. I have launched down in Buxton before on the sound side. Always wanted to go to Cabarete.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-26-2013, 10:23 PM Reply   
The wake style kiters deserve respect. Meaning keeping the kite low and powered and no foot straps; real bindings!!! I've never kiteboarded but always wanted to try. I like the fact that you can buy a kite and use it on land, water, and snow. I also think the upward pull of a cable is more similar to KB than to WB. It's the kiters that wear foot straps that get 30ft of air while taking their board off mid air, spinning it a few times, and landing ultra gently that make that sport look so goofy! The guys pushing the wake style kiting; like Aaron hadlow, Matt sexton, Brandon schied, etc.... That are gaining the respect from other boardsport athletes. Plus these guys are pushing the rail aspect wich only further legitimizes kiteboarding. Now there's a few guys wakeskating under kites and that's rad also. I can't wait to see sum of these guys start hitting more "winch spots" without a winch. There's so much room for these guys to really think outside the box and ride terrain that we nvr thought possible. If I wasn't an inlander I would of bought a kite years ago. I mean its cheaper than a boat, you don't have to rely on others to pull you and wind is free! This next part is out there; but in an apocalyptic world you couldn't wakeboard w boat cable or winch but as long as the wind blows u can shred in kiteboarding. Damn now I wana go fly a kit!!!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-27-2013, 6:27 AM Reply   
I think a bit facet in the distinction is the ability to control the kite. If you take any competent boat rider and put them on a cable or winch, 99% of the time they'll get up first try and be able to ride it out. They might not be able to hit rails or use the pull of the cable, but they can ride without much instruction, and this adaptation goes from cable or winch riding into the other two too.

With kiteboarding, the kite adds a whole other aspect of learning required before you can strap on a board. I went kiteboarding and by the end of the first session, I was only being dragged in the water, and wouldn't be able to use a board until at least halfway into my next 2-3 hours session, even with a decent knowledge of sailing previously. For kiteboarders going to cable, its not adding something that makes it harder, but taking away the need to control the kite. They might feel weird not being able to control their speed, but they could adapt easily enough.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-27-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
I am a boat rider to the core, but when the cable circus came to town I got on board. If the kite game bleeds into wakeboarding, I'll get on it. I like the idea of wake-style and I never really thought much about the touring/cruising aspect of it. If given the chance, I would take a lesson or two...

I am sure it would make me a better wake and cable rider.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-28-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShelley View Post
Cableboarding is riding a board using a cable for propulsion.
Wakeboarding is riding a board behind a wake producing object (boat, jetski, etc.)
Myopic

Answer 1 question for me please.
I'm riding on cable, a jetski is filming me from a few meters ahead, I use the wake from the jetski to get air. Am I wakeboarding?

On a side note, it's interesting to see that every kiteboarder (not sponsored by LF or Slingshot) uses Ronix bindings.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-28-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
I use the wake from the jetski to get air. Am I wakeboarding? Nope, you just think your wakeboarding, as long as your holding on to that little stick that comes down attached to the cable you are just cableboarding.
Old     (biomaster)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-28-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Kitesurfing is a completely different sport to wakeboarding/cable.

Controlling the kite is where most of the skill lies imo, board control is only a small part of it. To do anything on the board you have to know how to correctly power yourself with the kite.

Boosting huge airs kiteboarding uses hardly any board control, it's all how you fly the kite.

Having a wakeboarding background, does help a bit when learning to kite, but the board control in the two sports is completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
If given the chance, I would take a lesson or two...

I am sure it would make me a better wake and cable rider.
A couple of lessons kiteboarding won't improve your wakeboarding at all. After a couple of lessons, you might just be up and riding on the board if you're lucky. You sure as hell won't be doing any tricks or jumps (as less they are accidental lol) If you are up and riding, you'll most likely be figuring out how the hell to stay upwind and stop having to walk back up the beach after every run.
Old     (XMitja)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-02-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   
learning to control the kite takes time for sure but once you've learned it it's just pure board skills (at least for wakestyle riding), for tricks you'll just try to keep the kite as still as possible which means grabbing the control bar near the center at all times, ideally using a shorter than normal bar and a slow turning kite

http://kitescoop.com/videos/video/waterbreak/

Last edited by XMitja; 03-02-2013 at 7:57 AM. Reason: link
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-02-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Answer 1 question for me please.
I'm riding on cable, a jetski is filming me from a few meters ahead, I use the wake from the jetski to get air. Am I wakeboarding?
No. You are still cableboarding because you are using the cable for propulsion. Same as if I'm riding behind the boat and do an air trick out in the flats. I'm still wakeboarding because I'm being pulled across the water by a boat.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-12-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
Im an old school boat guy who switched to kite many years ago. Flying a kite is much like driving a car in that you are manipulating very complex concepts, but once youve done it for a little bit, your body does it involuntarily.

The good and bad thing about the kite medium is that is so flexible. You can literally do anything you can think up. The things that make a sport "legit" among the ranks is when different athletes work with the limitations of a sport and add their own style to it. In wakeboarding, you are limited by the wake and the boat. Its a predetermined set of physics. On the cable, the rope legnth is constant for everyone, so its physics are controlled as well (you ever seen anyone on an indian line? Changes things, huh?). On a kite, the limits are far beyond wake tricks. If one wanted they could do hooked in triple backrolls if they wanted. they could jump 60ft in the air and do as many 360s as they had time for. They can basically change their pull from a boat pull to an indian line pull with the flick of the wrist.

So, in kiteboarding, the way to express wakestyle stuff with similar complexity and style is to park the kite low (rather than sending it up and hanging from it) and pop off the water or a small wave, just like on the boat or cable while unhooked from the harness.

Dont get me wrong, boosting up in the air is a blast, and fun to look around. However, its not hard to do, so people who do it, and act like they are doing something hard, or try to make it seem like something difficult because they take their board off their feet, is lame.

The other side of that is the mega loopers, which are the crazy daredevils, who boost 60ft in the air, unhooked, while looping the kite underneath them, all while falling out of the sky passing the handle, only to whip the kite up at the last minute saving them from certain death and landing at 50mph in ocean chop. Crazy? Yes. Legit? Yes, in its own catagory. For me? Heck no!! I got kids to feed.

Justin, you know how to find me if you want to give it a go. We will need to take a road trip down to corpus or padre for the crash course. Riding here isnt bad, but learning here sux.

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-12-2013, 12:42 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason. Is that photo out on lewisville. It looks like an old Dallas lake.

I have a few buddies here in Houston that have invested in kites, but not lessons. One was telling me about almost getting cut in half by a barbwire fence. I really do need to take a vacation and give it a shot (with a lesson).
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-12-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
Yep, that was Ray Roberts. Riding the board will be easy, obviously, but when you are new at kiting you are the equivalent of a bad boat driver. We all know what it's like to try our stuff with a newb driver at the helm. As you get better with the kite, it's like wakeboarding with a better driver. Once you become a driver that "gets it" then it's like wakeboarding with Moye.

When learning you start and stop a lot like a 15yr old with his permit driving his dads column shift GMC. In this case, shallow water is a godsend. You can stand up, regroup, and try again. In deep lakes, you make one mistake, and you spend the rest of the day chasing your board or struggling to relaunch the kite while bobbing in the whitecaps. The bayside of the islands on the coast are thigh deep, sand bottom, smooth water, smooth wind Utopias. You will learn more in 3 days there than in three months here.

Once you got the basics, riding here is great!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-12-2013, 3:35 PM Reply   
Ah, if you are in Houston you need to hit the Texas City Levee. Also epic conditions.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
you dont have the same mobility on a kiteboard with flips/spins as you do with "cableboarding" and wakeboarding
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-13-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
how is that?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-13-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Gonna have to give the kite a try one of these days. A buddy of mine bought one a year ago, but still hasn't completed the lessons to use it.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-13-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
John, take the old lady or your buddy on a trip to the coast to get a lesson. If you want to get away, hit up SPI or Nitro City and get a lesson. Once youve got it, its basically the ability to take a boat\cable with you on an airplane and apply your craft anywhere in the world. Its so cool to just chill on a beach with the Mrs., and whenever you feel the urge, pop your kite up in the air and take a set hitting the shorebreak like kickers and doing your thing. No lines, no boat hassle, no time constraints, and the wind is free.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-13-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
I kept thinking that once my buddy got going with his then I would jump on the bandwagon. But he's dragging his feet. The cable is basically free for me since I buy an annual pass.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-13-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
I gave kiteboarding a try, took lessons, got the equipment, but it's not for me. IMO its great for people on the coast but here in Missouri it is too much work. First, we rairly get steady winds between 10-15mph. Second, its difficult to find a place to ride, most lakes do not have a good spot to launch the kite. And last I didn't have people to ride with. I'm stickin with wakeboarding.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-13-2013, 3:48 PM Reply   
Joe, when was this? Inland riding is definitely not as easy as coastal riding when learning. The key is finding the right spot on your lake and knowing what to look for and avoid. The newest kites also make a huge difference. Much more control and depower
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-14-2013, 6:57 AM Reply   
A few years ago. I would agree newer equipement would help. I should make a few more trips to the coast and get my riding beyond beginner level. I believe that would help more than anything.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
I agree with Todd
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-14-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
Don't do that Bill. My view is labeled as "myopic".
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-14-2013, 1:18 PM Reply   
I love kiteboarding! Learned to do it while i lived in florida! Wish i knew some people in cali with kites to help motivate colder Great White infested waters
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShelley View Post
Don't do that Bill. My view is labeled as "myopic".

;p