Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Willy T (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       02-05-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
never ridden a 230 (unfortunately...) but i do have a good number of hours on an MXZ and VLX (thanks warner & brett). My takes -

we put the bow triangle sac in the bow of the MXZ when riding, i think one of the CIE guys here says not to do that... but i think we had a total of somewhere around 4k in the boat and the wake was AWESOME. I've seen, and other people have said you cant get the 350 in it, its underpowered with that motor in it (to the tune of not being able to get on plane underpowered). The weird thing about those rear seats is they dont have gas-assist shocks on them... its annoying because they wont stay open by themselves.
the VLX wake i really like too, and the cockpit is definitely larger than the MXZ. We'll ride with the bow triangle in that boat sometimes too, and since both boats have the bow rendered unusable, the VLX is much larger in real-world use.

maliview vs LINC... IMO LINC wins.

engines - the VLX will be fine with the 350 in it. if the 230 has the 6.0L it will probably burn more gas... i still cant believe PCM doesnt have an LS3 based engine (6.2L) which will burn much less gas than a L96-based engine (their 409 & 450)

demo, demo, demo, demo. for me, it would come down to which wake i liked best & dealer support
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-05-2013, 7:19 AM Reply   
i think i 100% agree with deltas post here.

the only wake harder than a g23 is an x25 i think, which is neither here nor there, but a useful tidbit of info for anyone looking/lurking

if a dealer was throwing a former 23 foot flag ship at me custom ordered in my colors and i had the means to handle it, at a bargain basement price it would be a no brainer to me. both boats are more than capable. they are built differently some prefer different styles, they throw different wakes thats for sure. both are proven and neither is a risk. but to me a custom order will be better than a boat off the lot any day of the week, even if im 50/50 on the fence.
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-05-2013, 7:56 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=wakebordr11;1804889]... I think other interiors are more plush but overall you can't beat Nautiques interiors. Attention to detail, goretex stitching.
QUOTE]

Malibu uses goretex thread and additional backing on all seams as well. I went through the factory and I have pics to prove it. In fact, I believe they even use the same stuff on Axis line as well.
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-05-2013, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
.

maliview vs LINC... IMO LINC wins.
Care to elaborate?

I am not trying to wear my Malibu goggles. I am just trying to get people to back up statements like this, REGARDLESS of what brand they are talking about.

so much misinformation out there when it comes to boats.
Old    Willy T (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       02-05-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
Care to elaborate?

I am not trying to wear my Malibu goggles. I am just trying to get people to back up statements like this, REGARDLESS of what brand they are talking about.

so much misinformation out there when it comes to boats.
Sure,
my comment was based on being a user of both the systems, I don't own either brand but have spent enough time on equipped boats to form an opinion, if you missed the IMO it's there... are informed, experienced opinions not welcomed here?

It's also based on the fact that my buddy's LSA MXZ STILL can't use malicruise in MPH mode, we have to go by RPM. the steering wheel also gets in the way of the starboard touchpad. I've also seen the screen get fuzzy when its out of the water/random times on the water (I'm assuming these are grounding issues, and that could be a very isolated issue to the 3 boats i've been on with the system). This is not to say i don't enjoy driving an LSA MXZ, or a VLX... it's a blast.

LINC just feels more intuitive to me.
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-05-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
Thank you elaborating. I hate to hear that he is having issues. I would hope that his dealer is working with Malibu to work it out.

Yes, of course opinions are welcome. I just like to find out how people come to their opinion.
Old    Chase Tillett (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-05-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
I have used both. It's all personal preference. IMO the maliview was more user friendly. BUT I haven't logged many hours with either
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-05-2013, 9:04 PM Reply   
Just got back demoing the MXZ and I really am confused. It is loaded with underwater lights rocking stereo, heater, front bow ballast. LED docking lights. Really nice. Great trailer. BUT it is a 2012 and the 230 will be a 2013. AND it is only about a $7,000 difference. Granted the 230 isn't going to be built with heater or underwater lights. I just can't decide. I can't believe I'm so indecisive.
Old    Lionel (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-05-2013, 10:10 PM Reply   
You should be able to add a heater and underwater lights to the 230 for less than $1k...
Old    DBC (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-05-2013, 10:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakintime View Post
Just got back demoing the MXZ and I really am confused. It is loaded with underwater lights rocking stereo, heater, front bow ballast. LED docking lights. Really nice. Great trailer. BUT it is a 2012 and the 230 will be a 2013. AND it is only about a $7,000 difference. Granted the 230 isn't going to be built with heater or underwater lights. I just can't decide. I can't believe I'm so indecisive.
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-05-2013, 11:26 PM Reply   
That's me. Ridiculous isn't it? All the problems in life and I'm indecisive over a boat. Stupid! I make tough decisions every day at work and i can't make one for a boat. Crazy.

Last edited by wakintime; 02-05-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2013, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakintime View Post
Just got back demoing the MXZ and I really am confused. It is loaded with underwater lights rocking stereo, heater, front bow ballast. LED docking lights. Really nice. Great trailer. BUT it is a 2012 and the 230 will be a 2013. AND it is only about a $7,000 difference. Granted the 230 isn't going to be built with heater or underwater lights. I just can't decide. I can't believe I'm so indecisive.
You should be able to really talk them down on a 2012 MXZ, people are trying to get rid of 12s like no other due to surf gate. Their worth has gone down quite a bit. I guess the same can be said for the 230 with the G23 coming out.
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-06-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
I opted for a 2012 because I got such a good deal. I wanted the surf gate, but I look for there to be aftermarket options very soon. Plus, I didn't want to buy the first year version. I say get the 2012 MXZ - keep trying to get them lower or see if they will throw in some free service. We made it years without surf gate, you will be ok without it until aftermarket version comes along.
Old    Dave O (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-06-2013, 8:11 AM Reply   
The cost of adding a heater and LED's to a 230 is very inexpensive. Please don't let a heater and LED's persuade your boat decision. Not saying go one way or another although you know my opinion on this scenario already. Just saying don't let LED's and heater be a deciding factor.
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-06-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
Have you considered ordering a 23 lsv? As many have suggested, that is more of a direct competitor of the 230.

If you decide to order a malibu, I would strongly urge you to consider a '13 bu with surfgate. That option (as is nautique's nss system when it ever actually hits the retail market) is one of the most useful and attractive options that has been developed in the past decade. To me, I put it up there with speed control and plumbed in ballast. I've been a hard core axis owner for the past two seasons. My focus was on creating the biggest and best wake for me and my friends for an affordable price. Well, I'm getting older, my kids are getting bigger, my knees are toast, and all my wife and kids want to do is surf. I just sold my '12 Axis A22, and due to the build slots that were available to my dealer, and pressure from my family to get a boat with surfgate, I ended up ordering an LSV. To swing the price, I had to settle for the standard motor (350) and the standard bimini, but I think I'll still really enjoy the LSV. IMO, I'll be giving up the ability to create as large of a wake with as hard of a lip as I got with the A22, but my family demanded surfgate, and I didn't want to wait until May for a new boat, so I'll be in an LSV in April. I like the looks of the MXZ, but we always use the cabin space. No one sits in the bow unless the cabin is full. Plus, I occasionally throw a bow triangle in the nose, which renders the bow useless. The LSV was just much more comfortable for my family. Plus, I like the LSV wake better than the MXZ wake. It's personal preference, but I find that the MXZ wake is a bit too hard. I like the transition and ramp of the LSV/A22 wake.
Old    Miguel (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
^^cant wait to see that LSV Chatt
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Have you considered ordering a 23 lsv? As many have suggested, that is more of a direct competitor of the 230.

If you decide to order a malibu, I would strongly urge you to consider a '13 bu with surfgate. That option (as is nautique's nss system when it ever actually hits the retail market) is one of the most useful and attractive options that has been developed in the past decade. To me, I put it up there with speed control and plumbed in ballast. I've been a hard core axis owner for the past two seasons. My focus was on creating the biggest and best wake for me and my friends for an affordable price. Well, I'm getting older, my kids are getting bigger, my knees are toast, and all my wife and kids want to do is surf. I just sold my '12 Axis A22, and due to the build slots that were available to my dealer, and pressure from my family to get a boat with surfgate, I ended up ordering an LSV. To swing the price, I had to settle for the standard motor (350) and the standard bimini, but I think I'll still really enjoy the LSV. IMO, I'll be giving up the ability to create as large of a wake with as hard of a lip as I got with the A22, but my family demanded surfgate, and I didn't want to wait until May for a new boat, so I'll be in an LSV in April. I like the looks of the MXZ, but we always use the cabin space. No one sits in the bow unless the cabin is full. Plus, I occasionally throw a bow triangle in the nose, which renders the bow useless. The LSV was just much more comfortable for my family. Plus, I like the LSV wake better than the MXZ wake. It's personal preference, but I find that the MXZ wake is a bit too hard. I like the transition and ramp of the LSV/A22 wake.
LSV is my favorite boat int he Bu lineup, and it avgs about 5k less than a similarly equipped MXZ. The LSV is best all around boat malibu makes, with wieght you can get an insane wake that's just misses the peak of the MXZ wake, and the surf wake is super easy to dial in and is long and bad ass when you weight it right. Love that boat and is most likely my next boat also. I'm holding off 2014 to order ours, but I haven't had a chance to ride one with surfgate, which I plan on doing this summer.
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-06-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
I'll do a write up at some point, once I have my stereo options and some other things worked out, but I'm going solid white with a white tower and a white trailer with black wheels. Very similar to how I did my '12 A22. I love the storm trooper look.
Attached Images
 
Old    Andy (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-06-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
I have an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go drive a VLX!!! and then go drive a 230!!! Your buying the boat... not us.... pm me for any more wise advise.
on a side note. Malibu 4TW.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-06-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
Wow, that is kind of a surprise to see Chat going with the LSV (with the smaller motor too) but I can totally understand why. As much as he (and many others) love the A22, the LSV is nicer boat, with a nicer interior and has much nicer fit and finish. It's my favorite Bu as well. I was very close to getting one in 2012 (glad I didn't since surfgate came out a year later and would have definitley hurt the resale on it). Can't wait to hear about your LSV Chat and see some pics of the wake and wave, it's going to be a sick boat!
Old    BLAIR BARHAM (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-06-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
Wait Chat your going with a LSV this year, I never saw that coming.
Old    J D (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-06-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
I'm soooooooo glad Chatt didn't do an all black 13' LSV.. It would have been vey sad to lose a good forum member since I would have been forced to drive to Tenn and club him over the head flinstones style and tow his rig back to MN. He's safe with the all white. Whew! Crisis averted.
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-06-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
^^^^ Hahahaha. I was this [ ] close to ordering an all black rig again. Just too dang hot for my little girls.
Old    J D (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-06-2013, 10:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
^^^^ Hahahaha. I was this [ ] close to ordering an all black rig again. Just too dang hot for my little girls.
Word.. When we order ours - I'm just telling my kids "full length rash guards, 5 months a year. sorry not sorry" and roll with it.
Old    Miguel (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2013, 10:43 AM Reply   
^^Chatt - ive got a feeling youll be coming around full circle again and on a G pretty soon.
just a feeling....just a feeling.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-06-2013, 10:43 AM Reply   
I guess that's "one" good thing about Canada, we almost need the extra heat from a dark boat for our spring and fall, cold weather riding.
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-06-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
Migs - nah. Too damn expensive and too big. They are super nice though. A few of my friends have them.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2013, 3:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Migs - nah. Too damn expensive and too big. They are super nice though. A few of my friends have them.
To big! No way I don't believe that. Now I do believe to dang expensive! Crazy crazy crazy that basically a daytime runabout goes $120k! With depreciation what's this thing cost you per year over 5-7yrs? $10k a year?
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-06-2013, 3:15 PM Reply   
Well went with the MXZ. Took your advice Chris and Preston. $13,000 difference and this MXZ is so loaded and beautiful. Thanks for everyone's help. Shout out to Dave for the behind the scenes help.

Last edited by wakintime; 02-06-2013 at 3:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old    Miguel (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
Pics!!!!!!!
Old    DC (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-06-2013, 9:49 PM Reply   
What motor is in it?
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-06-2013, 10:12 PM Reply   
Here's a couple of pictures+
Attached Images
   
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-06-2013, 10:18 PM Reply   
@dc 409
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-07-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
Congrats! Great looking boat. Now go join themalibucrew.com
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-07-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
better pix
Attached Images
    
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-07-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
Sweet looking boat! Classic color combo, will look good for a long time! I'd love to get a pull behind one, everyone says they through a super nice popping wake!

Couple questions though. Everyone seems to knock the MXZ for having a small cockpit. I thought you wanted a roomier boat? Is this interior any bigger than your current MB?
Old    BLAIR BARHAM (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
I don't get why everybody says MXZ has such a small cockpit. I rode in one last summer for about 20 mins to watch a buddy take a set. I thought it was plenty big, I felt really wide inside to me.
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-07-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
It is actually a bigger boat. The cockpit is roomy and the bow huge. Had a MB f21 which was a 21 footer. The MXZ is 22 feet. . Really like this boat.
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
The MXZ feels lager than it is, but is actually 3 cubit Feet smaller inside than the VLX. It feels big though.
Old    Dave O (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-07-2013, 12:35 PM Reply   
JR congrats on the purchase! It's your money, time on the water, and your memories to create. I'm glad you're happy with your purchase and if you're ever in the Orlando area lets shred. Go have some fun!
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
Congrats. Our MXZ is being built now. She will looking something like this before custom graphics and a full Chucktronics / Wetsounds system. Blue piping on the interior will match the vapor blue. We got zero off with a LS3.

On the interior, the MXZ is anything but small. It's no LSV inside, but we've never wished for more room.

And we stand by our choice to run no weight in the front. This allows you to run less weight overall, and save the bow space for your precious cargo. In our experience bow weight flattens the wake and makes it wider. We have 300 in the walk through and the front hard tank full. Everything else is pushed back.
Attached Images
 
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-07-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Jarrod, that is a good looking MXZ. Which color blue is that?
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2013, 1:18 PM Reply   
Vapor. It's like a slightly darker baby or powder blue.
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Congrats. Our MXZ is being built now. She will looking something like this before custom graphics and a full Chucktronics / Wetsounds system. Blue piping on the interior will match the vapor blue. We got zero off with a LS3.

On the interior, the MXZ is anything but small. It's no LSV inside, but we've never wished for more room.

And we stand by our choice to run no weight in the front. This allows you to run less weight overall, and save the bow space for your precious cargo. In our experience bow weight flattens the wake and makes it wider. We have 300 in the walk through and the front hard tank full. Everything else is pushed back.
So you like it more peaky and soft than rampy whit more energy from front weight? I've found the MXZ needs lots of front ballast for surfing, otherwise it doesn't have a lot of push wave wise.
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2013, 1:44 PM Reply   
The wake is anything but soft, but I get where you're coming from. Too heavy in the back can sometimes produce a soft wake that you end up punching through. Definitely not the case here. The wake is tall and thick. It's a long ramp with a hard 4" lip at the top.

We heard from someone else that Amber Wing also ran weight in the front of her MXZ. I've never ridden her boat, but we found her configuration to be not as good..... for us. Also, keep in mind that because we didn't run a nose sack, we didn't have to run rear sacks either. Just stock tanks, wedge, 120 pounds of lead on both sides of the motor, a 600 in the floor up against the back seats, and a few hundred in the walk through. We probably have about 300 extra pounds of stereo stuff too. Maybe more.

Never surfed behind it, and probably never will.
Old    Chris (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
The wake is anything but soft, but I get where you're coming from. Too heavy in the back can sometimes produce a soft wake that you end up punching through. Definitely not the case here. The wake is tall and thick. It's a long ramp with a hard 4" lip at the top.

We heard from someone else that Amber Wing also ran weight in the front of her MXZ. I've never ridden her boat, but we found her configuration to be not as good..... for us. Also, keep in mind that because we didn't run a nose sack, we didn't have to run rear sacks either. Just stock tanks, wedge, 120 pounds of lead on both sides of the motor, a 600 in the floor up against the back seats, and a few hundred in the walk through. We probably have about 300 extra pounds of stereo stuff too. Maybe more.

Never surfed behind it, and probably never will.
I know Phil Soven runs a bow sack in his also. If you're running stock no PNP I could see not needing a bow sack since you already have the bow tank.
Surfing wise it's the touchiest model in the BU lineup, no bow sack and the wave just feels weak.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-07-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
Soven runs sacks all over his MXZ. If u ever watched wakebrothers he had atleast 2 750 bags in bow plus a couple 750s in the cockpit!
Old    DC (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-07-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Congrats. Our MXZ is being built now. She will looking something like this before custom graphics and a full Chucktronics / Wetsounds system. Blue piping on the interior will match the vapor blue. We got zero off with a LS3.
I'm curious as to which engine is over powering (LS3 or the super charged caddy) and which is under powered (350 monsoon) in the 22 MXZ. Once my Wifey comes around gives me the OK this Bu is my ideal choice.
Old    DBC (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-07-2013, 9:40 PM Reply   
Congrats, JR! Looking at your pics, I can't imagine why that boat was "leftover." It's totally rad! Great color scheme, upgraded motor, 18's, etc. You are one lucky man to find that deal. Enjoy!!
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-07-2013, 10:20 PM Reply   
Hey David,
It was sold 5 times but the credit for the 5 people couldn't get financed. I got lucky. Let me know how your hunt for your next boat is going.

Last edited by wakintime; 02-07-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-09-2013, 3:44 PM Reply   
Call me crazy but about ready to go with the 230 instead of MXZ for the cabin space. It seems roomier in the cabin in the 230.. Is this my imagination? Should never driven over to the LA boat show. Any thoughts appreciated. Both are great boats but big investment so any help appreciated. Thanks
Old    DBC (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-09-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
Since you asked for it... you are crazy!
Old    DBC (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-09-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Jokes aside... the 230 probably feels more roomy in the cockpit for a couple of reasons:
  • longer boat to begin with
  • much smaller bow
  • cushions are smaller/thinner
  • backrests are completely verticle
  • corners are all 90 degrees

This is why the 230 feels bigger in the cockpit. The trade off is smaller bow and less comfortable seating.

When I look at these two interiors and ask myself, "which looks more comfortable for a long day on the water?" it's an easy easy decision.

But the real question is, "which interior do YOU like better?"



Old    Tim Lata (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-09-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakintime View Post
Call me crazy but about ready to go with the 230 instead of MXZ for the cabin space. It seems roomier in the cabin in the 230.. Is this my imagination? Should never driven over to the LA boat show. Any thoughts appreciated. Both are great boats but big investment so any help appreciated. Thanks
Crazy isn't the description I had in mind
Old    Miguel (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
Haha just got the mxz and already thinking about the nautique. YUP
Just like you said you've been doing all these years.
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-09-2013, 6:16 PM Reply   
Haven't technically gotten the MXZ yet so still time to change mind. Thanks David for the two pix. That clarified some things. Thanks.
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-10-2013, 6:00 AM Reply   
What is your tow vehicle? Do yourself a favor and tow and park both boats if you plan to trailer them at all. I sold a z71 Tahoe and bought a dodge diesel after switching to a 230. The 230 is a heavy freaking boat. It's no g23, but it is much heavier than the mxz when loaded up.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-10-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
Think I've said it before and will say it again. Nautique has pretty much every other manufactures butt kicked in terms of laying out a interior that is designed for actually watching people behind the boat which is the whole point is it not? I would definitely get that 230 with the jump seat.
I'm not going to get into vinyl quality of the Nautique vs Bu because over the years each is gonna age, its a fact. But when someone says the seats are thin? Get real, Nautique seats(foam)are not thin and the foam is of the highest quality, sitting in both I could defiantly feel the BU foam compressing more than the Nautique does.

Mastercraft is catching up with their reversible seating and I'm interested in a x30 for that reason alone! And is they go with reversible seating in a x-25 that would be even better!
Old    Shawndoggy (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-10-2013, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
What is your tow vehicle? Do yourself a favor and tow and park both boats if you plan to trailer them at all. I sold a z71 Tahoe and bought a dodge diesel after switching to a 230. The 230 is a heavy freaking boat. It's no g23, but it is much heavier than the mxz when loaded up.
Chat the manufacturers' claimed dry weights are exactly the same for both boats (4400 lbs). Notably, the 22 MXZ is 700 lbs heavier than the VLX's 3700 lb claimed dry weight.
Old    DBC (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-10-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Think I've said it before and will say it again. Nautique has pretty much every other manufactures butt kicked in terms of laying out a interior that is designed for actually watching people behind the boat which is the whole point is it not? I would definitely get that 230 with the jump seat.
I'm not going to get into vinyl quality of the Nautique vs Bu because over the years each is gonna age, its a fact. But when someone says the seats are thin? Get real, Nautique seats(foam)are not thin and the foam is of the highest quality, sitting in both I could defiantly feel the BU foam compressing more than the Nautique does.

Mastercraft is catching up with their reversible seating and I'm interested in a x30 for that reason alone! And is they go with reversible seating in a x-25 that would be even better!
Take it easy Nordicron, No reason to get all butt hurt. It was a simple observation. I've been in plenty of Nautique's. I'm not saying the interior is "bad" I'm just pointing out "differences." The Nautique interior is in fact harder and more angular. The seat backs are in fact thinner and more verticle (pics don't lie). The corners are 90 degree angles (like a box).

You are 100% correct, Nautique has rear facing seating. If that's an important feature for JR, then he should get the 230. As far as the Malibu seats compressing, you are right again. Isn't that the whole point of a seat designed for comfort? Do your car seats compress? Does your bed compress?

Look, neither is "bad" they are just different.... night and day different. Should be easy to decide given how different they are.
Old    DC (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-10-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
Could it be the boats position on his trailer ? Possibly more weight pass the axles, making the boat feel more tongue heavy.
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-10-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
JR, you are second guessing yourself and letting others determine what boat YOU want. Your first instinct was the MXZ, go with the MXZ and stop listening to us.
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-10-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
Demo both, tow both, think cost, think resale. I loved a lot about the 230, but I never could get the wake to cooperate. I remember the Hoffman sisters coming to town years ago and we did everything we could to load the boat up and get a clean consistent wake at 75ft at about 23mph. We could not do it. We just ended up dumping weight till it stayed clean and wouldn't wash at all. Others seem to not have had the same issues, but I did with three different boats. Again, I'm talking adding 1500lbs over stock plus some people. With factory ballast and just people, the wake was always clean. I don't know how advanced of a rider you are, or how you usually weigh your boats, but demo both with extra ballast before pulling the trigger. Who knows, maybe my issues were related to speed control issues and have been rectified since 2010. I hate GPS speed control anyway, and now always use the paddle wheel.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-10-2013, 10:06 AM Reply   
IXFE I'm not butt hurt, . Just have to respond to crazy comments from all you BU fans the same as you do to other boats. Like I said comfort is a very loose term in this context. You guys keep talking about box vs round which seems stupid here because both really are box. Big deal you have alittle more rounded corners here and there in the BU but all in all seat back angle and seat angles are still 90 in both. And for comfort having 6 of my passengers able to sit completely rear facing on a seat back that leans back further than any seat on a BU means comfort to me.

Lastly what I meant by foam was my butt bottomed out on the MXC after sitting in the seat for only 5mins talking to the dealer, which would suck and is not at all comfortable sitting on all day!


Now if the wake sucks or you need to ride at 25mph to keep from washing on a 230 when loaded up then I'd skip it in a heart beat and go with a different boat! I've been looking at moving up to a 230 myself and will take a run behind one this spring. What chat has said and some other comments I've read worry me that the 230 isnt going to work for me either. no way do I want a boat that can't throw a clean wake at lower speeds, 22.5 mph is my preferred old man speed! And less when working on new stuff! My kids ride at 18-19mph. But man I sure like the look and the layout of that boat!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-10-2013, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
JR, you are second guessing yourself and letting others determine what boat YOU want. Your first instinct was the MXZ, go with the MXZ and stop listening to us.
If he's having reservations wouldn't that mean he wants the Correct craft....
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-10-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
If you want super comfy seats buy a master craft plain and simple....
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-10-2013, 10:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
If you want super comfy seats buy a master craft plain and simple....
I agree MC has very nice interior and with the new Ilmor motors in the MC's now they have a lot going for them! I like the MC towers quite a bit also. Never been a fan of the forward swooping BU towers. Turn the music up for the rider and everyone in a BU is gonna go deaf!
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-10-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
We like them both but a 2012 vs 2013. That is really the confusion. My a 2012 bu for 10,000 difference or is it smarter to get a 2013 ordered made to order for us. Seems like the bu is already loss value according to Nada.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-10-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I agree MC has very nice interior and with the new Ilmor motors in the MC's now they have a lot going for them! I like the MC towers quite a bit also. Never been a fan of the forward swooping BU towers. Turn the music up for the rider and everyone in a BU is gonna go deaf!
I actually disliked the ilmor, I found it to be far too lively on the revs with even slight adjustments to the wheel, redlining itself in corners, it's also pretty loud in cabin and out. It is silky smooth though. But we should keep on topic.

Anyways OP. is a custom ordered, bigger boat built to your specifications worth he extra cash to you? It will also fetch more on resale being that I can be fitted with nss even if you don't order it while the Malibu will miss out on surfgate. It just comes down to this: is 10k worth a boat that's built to your exact specs?
Old    Eric Anderson (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-10-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
The value is in the new surf technology these boats have. Wakesurfing has overtaken the popularity of wakeboarding in most regions because anyone can do it and falls don't hurt. If you plan on reselling anytime soon, get a 2013 with the wakesurfing gadgets. I worked temporarily for a Minnesota Malibu boat dealership this fall, and the amount of new boats that were ordered and came in this fall has been record setting. People are trading in their brand new 2012's for the 2013's and getting practically nothing for them because the supply is up on 2012's but demand is way down. And Malibu does not offer the surf gate on 2012 boats for the time being. I think Correct Craft might offer the upgrade on boats that are 1-2 years old, but it is a deal breaker if they don't. If you get a 2012, in my opinion they should be entry-level prices - upper 50k or less.
Old    Eric Anderson (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-10-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
I should also mention the amount of 2011 - 2012 boats that the dealer owns from trade-in is also record setting
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-10-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
Ok. We finally ordered a 2013 MXZ! Has surf gate and every option available except heater which we don't need. Bow ballast, plug and play, docking lights, underwater transom lights,trailer with upgraded 18 inch wheel and run way lights on trailer. Finally happy. Thanks to all.
Old    Ron (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-10-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
Congrats! Even if you hate the boat after a year you should be able to unload without to much pain. After all said an done though how much over your initial budget did we push you over?
Old    DBC (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-10-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
Wow... what a trip this thread has been. Let's review...
  • '12 SAN 230 vs. '12 VLX (both leftover)
  • '13 SAN 230 vs. '12 VLX (Nautique dealer ups the ante!)
  • '13 SAN 230 vs. '12 MXZ (throws everybody for loop by adding MXZ to the mix)
  • Leftover '12 MXZ wins, or so we thought...
  • JR goes to boat show and the seeds of doubt are planted... maybe the 230 afterall!
  • JR says, "Ahhhh F*ck it! Just give me a brand new MXZ with everything on it!"

So pumped for you guys! Can't wait to see pics. Have fun picking colors!!
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-10-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
Thanks David. Picking the colors SHOULD be easy. Just hate waiting for the boat is going to seem like forever. Actually we didn't go over our budget either. Dealt with same guy we had bought two VLX's from. So got a great deal.
Old    Scott (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-10-2013, 6:14 PM Reply   
i own a 210 nautique, and i will admit that i really like all the rear facing seating...but come on everyone can see by the pics that the malibu looks way more comfy....and my pals mastercraft also was very comfy...nautique has good design, but should beef up the thickness. nautique forum is saying deck of 230 is going to be redesigned so it is maybe a good thing you did not get it...you might have been disappointed in comparison to new deck.

and if you get the 230 with the jump seat an you get it out of the way? how do you store it?
Old    Preston (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-10-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
Congrats jr! Now get over to the malibucrew dot com!
Old    Chattwake (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-10-2013, 7:04 PM Reply   
Color choice will go as follows: so I'm down to red or black. Black gets hot, but looks awesome. Red is my favorite, but I'm concerned about resale. Hmmmmm hmmmm hmmm. Ok what about blue? I didn't think about blue. Ok it's down to blue or red. Blue is in stock. I'm going with blue.

Ok so I saw this green boat at a friends house, and green is nice as hell. I wonder is ill regret getting blue knowing how good green looks!

Well guys, I said screw it and went all blue metal flake.
Old    Rick Hoag (rickB52)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-10-2013, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Color choice will go as follows: so I'm down to red or black. Black gets hot, but looks awesome. Red is my favorite, but I'm concerned about resale. Hmmmmm hmmmm hmmm. Ok what about blue? I didn't think about blue. Ok it's down to blue or red. Blue is in stock. I'm going with blue.

Ok so I saw this green boat at a friends house, and green is nice as hell. I wonder is ill regret getting blue knowing how good green looks!

Well guys, I said screw it and went all blue metal flake.
what happen to the "Ghost"?
Old    JR Smith (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-10-2013, 7:49 PM Reply   
Think we are going basically white like Chat and J-Rod. Definitely going white tower and speakers. Probably red metallic accent. At least that is the wife says. Have always wanted just a clean white boat like Chat but my other half needs a little color. Going to take 8 weeks.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us