Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-02-2012, 2:20 PM Reply   
even if i could afford one of these...i for sure would still not get one LOL
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-02-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
So if they are at dealers and 6 sold in TX what do they cost? Is $160 or not?
From the 4 I have seen sold the most expensive one I saw leave the floor was 124k. That boat had every box you could check marked off on the features.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-02-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
When I saw that wake I said OH MY GAWD... that looks like a wall of KICK - posted above, haven't seen the wake in person.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-02-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskonn View Post
From the 4 I have seen sold the most expensive one I saw leave the floor was 124k. That boat had every box you could check marked off on the features.
Cool thanks for the info. I don't really believe those reports if this boat running up towards $160k! Not that $124 is peanuts but it seems inline with what the top boats run nowadays.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-06-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
I saw a few comments from over the weekend... We ordered our boats with the ZFT4 tower trying to keep the cost down a bit. I don't know that any of pre-sold boats have been ordered with power towers either come to think of it.. Everything coming in through February is pre-sold so I won't have an opportunity to build anything for stock for quite a while...

Unfortunately, I can't talk much about pricing. Each dealer is different depending on region, shipping costs, trailers, etc...
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-06-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtxmc View Post
I saw a few comments from over the weekend... We ordered our boats with the ZFT4 tower trying to keep the cost down a bit. I don't know that any of pre-sold boats have been ordered with power towers either come to think of it.. Everything coming in through February is pre-sold so I won't have an opportunity to build anything for stock for quite a while...

Unfortunately, I can't talk much about pricing. Each dealer is different depending on region, shipping costs, trailers, etc...
I dont' live in Texas - but if I did (or anywhere close) - I'd buy a boat from you. Seem like a good dude.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-06-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
We can ship to you sir... lol
j/k

thank you.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-06-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Can't wait to see pics of the TCU boat when finished.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-17-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
One of the best color combos Ive seen on the new Xstar for those that like the purple.

Meet Travis' & TBS's new boat (metal flake & purple)

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-18-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
I wish I could see a high res photo of that boat...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-18-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I wish I could see a high res photo of that boat...
Check out The boarding school FB page or mastercraft's FB page. He's been posting it and MC did today
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-19-2012, 3:31 AM Reply   
The photos don't really do it justice. When the sun hits it, the purple reflects all through the flake. It's insane! So in love with this boat right now.

Aside from the looks, the wake is amazing. And, I pulled a 5 year old behind it yesterday at 14 mph, and adjusted the tab to 70%, and had a perfect little wake for him to jump. Couldn't be happier with it.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-19-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Is that gun metal or silver metal?
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-19-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
WOW....I'm amazed just how great the looks. Great job MC and props to TBC for their part.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-19-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
silver flake
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-20-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
hey travis can you post an interior shot, intrested to see what ya'll did on the inside of this bad boy, i saw your pic of the dash, that thing looks sickkk!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-20-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
Pulled this from MC page...

Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-20-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
Mainly white, with the silver accents, purple piping and logos. MasterCraft is going to come out and shoot it in the next few weeks, so we'll get some hi res photos of it. I was a little scared ordering it, but couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-20-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Travis...sorry for stealing your photos didnt know if youd be on anytime soon

Sick boat though...did you replace the shift knob on this boat too??
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-20-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Nice, i love the subtlety of the interior, looks like it'll stay cool in the summer too. nice job!
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-20-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
You stole my purple!! lol

We should have pics of the Frogstar up soon too.. There will be 2 purple XStars running around.

Nice boat Travis!! Looks great.
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-20-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
Wow, incredible new Star Travis - one of the best looking boats hands down. Can't wait to ride it the next time I'm at TBS.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-20-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the color name of the silver like color in the interior of most of the boats shown?
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-20-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
The silver (darkest) is called carbon flint.
Old     (SimonSez)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-20-2012, 9:20 PM Reply   
Think its actually Carbon Platinum?
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-20-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
The silver (darkest) is called carbon flint.
Thanks, online it looks like a tan or beige
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-21-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
Carbon platinum is what I have inside my boat. It's a shiny silver.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-21-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
I thought you were talking about the dark silver accents. The darkest areas look carbon flint. sorry.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-21-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
Carbon platinum replaced last year's carbon dove....
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-21-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
this may help...
Attached Images

Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-30-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Nice to see MC taking their graphics,styling, and colors back to the 80's and 90's where the excelled. Hopefully their production and quality control go back to those days as well.

Cheers

Last edited by hookedonboardin; 11-30-2012 at 2:13 PM.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-19-2013, 2:31 PM Reply   
Thought i would add to this thread. Sold boat from the Toronto

Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Congratulations to the new owners!! She left this past Saturday....
Attached Images

Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-22-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
I can't help but this- WOW - this looks like the interior of a 70's Lincoln. The exterior for that mater too... not sure I totally get it.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
really? lol
Attached Images

Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-22-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
wow that looks good!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-22-2013, 3:40 PM Reply   
You know which one looked good...the one Harley flipped over & totalled. Close 2nd is TMoye's purple people eater.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2013, 7:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
We can ship to you sir... lol
j/k

thank you.
Selling in another dealer territory is big no no with mastercraft isn't it?
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
It makes it almost impossible for me/us to provide the type of service that you deserve if you don't live or boat near our dealership. Buying a boat is so much different than buying a new car or truck. The service dynamic is important to all of your local dealers and being close makes it possible to develop the kind of relationship that makes everything work. That really is the bottom line. When I started selling boats 7 years ago I was amazed at the amount of customers that stop by the dealership just to say hello. It speaks volumes to me about how important it is to take care of people. If you don't get it right the first time then make it right.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-23-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
That sounds like dealer speak. I was told the same thing by another MC dealer in Carolina when I called them. they found out that I was not in their area and they pushed me off. I just wanted pricing info.

MC and Malibu (and probably most others) discourage a dealer poaching business from another dealer's territory except for boats that are older or used.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-23-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
All brands do that and IMO its bull f-ing s*it. Ill buy a boat from who I wanna buy it from. It's nonsense. It's so they can keep prices wherever the hell they want to its the reason axis now cost over 60k and g23s and stars costs the same as a small house.

WHICH brings me to my next point
WHO THE HELL IS BUYING THESE BOATS and WHY
I'm sorry I rode and drove a G23 this weekend and with about half ballast it was kicking my ass and while I'm only an intermediate I always ride big wakes and I like to take my simple tricks high. The only people that need these boats are the top 5% of wake boarders. I would probably gone bigger behind a new z1 or x10 x25 a20/22 medium weighted sa etc etc because I would've been able to get a full use of the wake and charged it much harder. Granted I haven't ridden in 5 months and will probably enjoy it more this summer when I've been riding and get to shred one and my opinion may change but still.... C'mon

My next point is that what rich 55 year old dad that bought this for his kids to wakeboard is going to want to drive it. This thing was so hard to manage it was ridiculous, pulled hard left, revved full blast to even get close to plane and ran super high revs at speed, the throttle felt like lead (better than the super light Mc's though) the steering took he man ability. Water bum rushed you if didn't know what you were doing. It was incredibly uncomfortable to drive compared to the x25s (and I've driven those absolutely slammed to the gills) tiges etc. also it had a porpoise thing going on which I thought was a tige convex v thing only but this boat was the same way.

Bottom line is that it is an incredible piece of engineering and is great for the top 5-10% of wake boarders but otherwise you just don't need it. That said I hope to get out behind one when my riding is in full swing and see if can take full advantage of the beast but I would not want to try to learn new tricks on a wake like this unless I was learning 900s and up.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
I'll give you a price on any boat you want Preston. I didn't say I wouldn't give pricing out on our boats. I'm simply saying that in fairness to both you and your hometown dealer its best if you purchase the boat from your servicing dealer. They are going to be the ones who come help at 2:00 am if you ever need it. That's all I'm saying. It's not like buying a Ford truck where there is a dealer on every corner. It's different. You can buy from whoever you want to but in my opinion you're better off buying from your local guys.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-23-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
well said Craig

If you really aren't happy with your local dealer because of previous experiences. Contact Mastercraft Head Office and explain the situation and they can help you out with a more customer service oriented dealer that can help you.

We did this with our 06 X-1...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-23-2013, 9:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
It makes it almost impossible for me/us to provide the type of service that you deserve if you don't live or boat near our dealership. Buying a boat is so much different than buying a new car or truck. The service dynamic is important to all of your local dealers and being close makes it possible to develop the kind of relationship that makes everything work. That really is the bottom line. When I started selling boats 7 years ago I was amazed at the amount of customers that stop by the dealership just to say hello. It speaks volumes to me about how important it is to take care of people. If you don't get it right the first time then make it right.
Craig... this is well said.

I remember when I was first shopping boats years ago, i approached it like a car buyer. And I was upset when out of town dealers would brush me off. Years later, now I get it...

I don't believe the system is designed to prohibit competition, it's just meant to cut down on competition within the same brand. So you can still cross shop, as long as you are cross shopping MC vs. Bu vs. CC in your own area. That's where the competition exists.

I've dealt with more than one dealer, and it has taught me that there are really two types:
  1. Transactional - Super eager to sell you a boat, but do little after the sale.
  2. Relationship - Excited to educate you on boats and the lifestyle. If you choose to buy you find yourself part of a family trips over themselves to take care of all your watersports needs from A - Z.

The older I get, the more I care about the overall experience. I don't just want a boat. I want an experience.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-24-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
Craig- nice lincoln pics! LOL!! I a sure there are really nice color combinations with the x-star. I love that boat- dont get me wrong- just not sure how that interior is going to look in 5 years. A little too close to "that 70's show" for me.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-24-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I'm sorry I rode and drove a G23 this weekend and with about half ballast it was kicking my ass and while I'm only an intermediate I always ride big wakes and I like to take my simple tricks high. The only people that need these boats are the top 5% of wake boarders. I would probably gone bigger behind a new z1 or x10 x25 a20/22 medium weighted sa etc etc because I would've been able to get a full use of the wake and charged it much harder. Granted I haven't ridden in 5 months and will probably enjoy it more this summer when I've been riding and get to shred one and my opinion may change but still.... C'mon

My next point is that what rich 55 year old dad that bought this for his kids to wakeboard is going to want to drive it. This thing was so hard to manage it was ridiculous, pulled hard left, revved full blast to even get close to plane and ran super high revs at speed, the throttle felt like lead (better than the super light Mc's though) the steering took he man ability. Water bum rushed you if didn't know what you were doing. It was incredibly uncomfortable to drive compared to the x25s (and I've driven those absolutely slammed to the gills) tiges etc. also it had a porpoise thing going on which I thought was a tige convex v thing only but this boat was the same way.
Hmmm, I know this is an MC thread but I didn't get the same experience nor do I get the same feedback from others that rode a G.

From my perspective, the wake does get quite large, but it is super easy to ride. Nice long transition, decent kick at the top but not in the abrupt oldschool 210 kind of way. Almost always clean. With less than full ballast very easily ridable and I am an older intermediate. Maybe it is because I was accustomed to my 230? Although most others think the G is very easy to ride for all levels.

As far as driving, I thought it handled well. I didn't experience pulling to one side at all. Sure it doesn't handle as well as my 230, it is a big boat but I had no problems driving it and I am in my 40s.. The throttle in the one I drove was a little stiff but not overly so. As for struggling to get on plane, what motor and prop was on the boat? With the bigger prop they are now using and the 450, it was plenty for even full ballast and a handful of people in the boat.

Oh well, not trying to derail the thread, but it struck me as interesting since your views are different from what I experienced and what many others have written.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
I like the G's myelf but the only thing that i didn't care for much was the "nautique feel" cushions. They seem too small for that big of a boat. When you sit in the rear of the boat it seemed like there was a huge area of floor space but still the throw cushion like nautique cushions like the 210 and 230. Now don't jump on me, I'm just saying what i didn't like. I'm not a fan of the off centered dash or the cooler in the floor either. Seems like that is a toe breaker and a rattle trap possibility. Otherwise, i like the flexi teak flooring a lot and the boat is supposed to have an excellent wake but i haven't been in one yet so i only speak from word of mouth. I too, heard that the boat pulls to the the left but again thats just word of mouth. I'm pretty sure the XStar has plenty of those stories too.. Either way, they are both super cool boats.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
another XStar leaving out this weekend. I think we are stockpiling red and black XStars in this area... this one has the most reserved interior yet for one of our XStars..

Dallas/Fort Worth
Home to more red and black MasterCrafts than any other area... I think.
Attached Images

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-24-2013, 4:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmo View Post
very easily ridable and I am an older intermediate.

Oh well, not trying to derail the thread, but it struck me as interesting since your views are different from what I experienced and what many others have written.
yes this makes sense, the big easy wake will be easier for older riders, its not so hard to clear and doesnt abruptly boot you easier on the knees. i am used to x25s and tiges which means steep wakes, and like those wakes. i am used to an early pop. the g has an excessively late pop.

ive only ever driven inboards of all sizes. stars, 25s, tiges etc with full weight. too loose is bad, too heavy is bad. i am not the only one who describe it like driving a tank.

and nor was i but my point was not so much about the G specifically but G's and x stars. the point is that i was flying just as high, just as easily as the g23 with full weight as my tige with big weight and x25s with proper weight. so why get ALL that boat that 1. is more difficult to drive especially weighted and 2. isnt going to have a wake that you or i can fully utilize. my only disclaimer is that i had not ridden in 5 months so im not necessarily ready to have a final opinion these are just my initial impressions. its almost more a pro tool and engineering tour de force than it is a wakeboat for you and me. im sure given more time behind it my opinion will change
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-24-2013, 4:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
This thing was so hard to manage it was ridiculous, pulled hard left, revved full blast to even get close to plane and ran super high revs at speed, the throttle felt like lead (better than the super light Mc's though) the steering took he man ability. Water bum rushed you if didn't know what you were doing. It was incredibly uncomfortable to drive compared to the x25s (and I've driven those absolutely slammed to the gills) tiges etc. also it had a porpoise thing going on which I thought was a tige convex v thing only but this boat was the same way.
You feel this way about the G23? I have 85 hours on mine and can steer my G with one pinky finger. I have run nearly every possible weight setup, many different props and not once have I ever experienced a porpoise. My petite fiance can manuever the boat with ease in the water, and can back it down the ramp in a crowded parking lot.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-25-2013, 5:18 AM Reply   
Red and Black, Love it, the interior is simple, very nice
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-25-2013, 5:23 AM Reply   
Yes I felt this way about the G, the wave over the transom was absurd and I drove it with the 450, almost full stock and an unknown amount of extra weight, 1750 at the minimum. But again these are more initial shocking impressions rather than a final opinion. Again between the extra weight, and my rusty riding I'm not ready to finalize an opinion. My frustrations are not with the boat itself I think it's a wonderfully crafted boat, an amazing piece of engineering that plows out a monstrous amount of water it is the king of all wakeboats. My frustrations are instead with the market. Like I said, who is buying these boats and why? There's certain things that come with the territory of ownership. I guess more people are willing to put up them just to have a massive wake, and I'd probably call you a liar I you tried to tell me the xstar was "better", and if it is I'd bet it isn't the same wake as the G. Iron, you and your crew make full use of every drop of G wake so you Are what in my mind is the ideal G23 customer. But the family who started wakeboarding last year need not apply. Like I said I have a hard time seeing a 250k+ a year executive who has only owned one other carting his little chitlins around on one, which is almost certainly the type of person buying these...I'm not bashing the G/star itself, just the absurdity of the segment and prices.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
with about half ballast it was kicking my ass
Quote:
almost full stock and an unknown amount of extra weight, 1750 at the minimum.
I am confused. Your original email said that the boat with half ballast was kicking your butt. Now you say that it could be your rusty riding with a ballast almost full and an unknown amount of extra... maybe 1750 more. Those are two different ball parks.

The water will come over the back if you stop suddenly or dont turn while stopping when fullor overloaded. Same can be said for a PWT loaded previous generation XStar. But like you say, it is kind of weird and unexpected.

As far as who owns these, I guess I classify as who you depict above. I am in my 40s but have been wakeboarding for 10 or so years. I am an intermediate. I have a 17 year old, 3 year old and 1 year old. (Holy crap, right ?) WIth no ballast, this boat puts out a nice, clean decent wake all the way down to 17-18. A much easier wake to ride for a beginner and to teach at a slower speed than my 230. It won't be long before I get them on a board and then continue my wakeboarding "career" through them. Yet, when you load it up, it produces a ridiculously large but very ridable wake. With half ballast and no additional weight, I rode this and it was equivalent to my 230 with 1.5 to 2K extra.

So, I bought this boat because it is so versatile. It also surfs very well without any extra bags. With a family we have a lot of junk, having this much storage... no bags in lockers or floor and being able to have a wide range of wakes for boarding and surfing was the buying decision. Not to mention, this boat handles the chop wonderfully due to its size.

Anyhow... this is about an XStar. I do agree with some of what is said. No boat is perfect and what is right for one person, may not be for another. We are individuals..
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-25-2013, 7:51 AM Reply   
Can't ever go wrong with red, black and white on a boat. Especially if you plan to keep it for a while. The interior is a little too conservative for me but if you're paying you get to choose. It's a shame though because the interior is what really excels on the new star. More color really sets it off.

Craig, can you get the X without the X on the side? I really don't like the style of that X graphic. The single color protypes looked better to me and that's not saying they looked good. I'm sure there's a graphic design that will complement the boat's lines. I just haven't seen it yet. The wrapped boats are the best looking I've seen but I'd rather not wrap a brand new boat.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
@MLO.. My favorite colors are definitely red and black and i actually prefer a flashier interior myself but this was a pre-order boat for one of our customers. I have to watch my ordering sometimes because not everyone likes the flashy stuff like me. We still have plenty of customers who want a white deck and bottom hull and a neutral light colored interior so it's a guessing game sometimes..

As far as the X graphic on the XStar, MasterCraft will leave it off the boat, if requested. They will ship the graphics in a box and you can decide if you want them or if you want to partially install them. The X, the MasterCraft, the X*Star, and the carbon fiber trim pieces above are all stickers so they can be moved or messed with. We did a solid purple TCU boat a while back (still waiting for owner to bring it to me for pic set) and it had no graphics at all. They will also do custom colors so long as it doesn't require any new lines meaning they will paint a custom pink or purple but they won't create a new pain line, etc... Hope that helps answer the question.. Thank you for the interaction sir...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-25-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmo View Post
I am confused. Your original email said that the boat with half ballast was kicking your butt. Now you say that it could be your rusty riding with a ballast almost full and an unknown amount of extra... maybe 1750 more. Those are two different ball parks.
sorry i guess this was unclear in my original post. i rode with the 1750+ and about half of stock, probably less, which would be why i was kicking my ass after 5 months without riding... and again which is why i'm having an initial shock rather than ready to have a final opinion. i was leaving alot of wake on the table, its so different than any boat i had ever ridden. I did drive with 2100lbs of stock and the 1750+ extra. this is the only time i drove the boat. I do realize that that other boats do this but i have never required a double or even triple bump of a very heavy throttle with short throw getting off plane just caution when slowing was uncomfortable and im used to driving heavy inboards, not this heavy but heavy

i guess i was expecting something that is all things to all men for 135k, but got a much different animal, in many ways in a good way, in some ways in a bad way. youre obviously a watersports family. you say you had a 230, so in many ways you know what to expect.

im expecting people to jump from there 25 foot cruisers to a 23/24 ft monster because they wakeboarded a little a bit and did some boating and woops... Big big wake, big heavy boat... again in no way dissing the star or G just having a little trouble when people say and craig posts all these photos of stars "orders are filled" "cant get any more" etc etc as to where these boats are going?

the sentiment of my post is not an attack on the boats in question but rather confusion about where they fit in for the customer
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Easy now.....
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
Back to the topic at hand, I tend to like the XStars above that have the less colorful interiors, like the last one posted and the purple one. The red one isn't bad either. However, that one with all the green I think it is too much.

The XStar lines are starting to grow on me. The biggest item that ruled out the XStar for me was the smaller cabin space, smaller storage and the plug and play ballast that takes up extra storage. With a family that has grown over the last couple years the storage has become a huge plus. Otherwise, I would have strongly considered the XStar which definitely has a more sleek type of design. Not all people will have that as a top requirement like me.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-25-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
Xstar at JAX, FL boat show - Outside is sweet gray flake with orange. I usually see flake and look for a fishing pole because flake is for bass boats.
Worst interior ever. It is so bad I can't imagine how bright this pumpkin orange will be in the sun - just terrible. They did have a G23 as well - xstar was way nicer inside. Nautique did not upgrade the interior at all just enlarged and threw down some faux teak sea dek imho.

FYI xstar 134,000 G23 139,00
Attached Images

Last edited by whiteflashwatersports1; 01-25-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
I mentioned it earlier about the interior. Would someone please comment on the Nautique interior cushions being so small for such a large boat (G's)? The floor space seems huge but the seats are so thin and small.. Just my opinion. Am I seeing things? My MC blinders are removed but I want to get some feedback, if possible. Thanks.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-25-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
Thats what i saw today the seats are very thin and the bolster has been increased making them seem even smaller.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-25-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
I would rather have a bigger area for people standing up, moving around vs crawling over each other in the rear of the boat. Look how small that area is of the Xstar. I found the G23 cushions plenty big for me.

Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
No offense, but I highly disagree with the point of rather having floor space than seating space and cushion size/height.. I'm not saying the XStar is a roomy, comfort machine because it's not.. But that's kind of the same way the 03-11's were too.

This G is huge though.. I just thought it needed larger, more comfortable cushions.. No biggie.

Besides, it looks like you already stepped on the G cushion and injured your left foot.. See! ha
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-25-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
Actually you said the built in floor cooler would slam toes...thats what happened to my foot! JK

Dont hate on the G23 having a built in cooler in the floor just bc MC didnt think of it. Its genius and I havent found one person who wishes they didnt have theirs.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
I'm not a hater for sure sir. I have said many times i like the G boats.... They didn't think of the idea though.. They've been in Pro Star 190's for decades... lol

I don't think MasterCraft does everything the best by any means.. I like a lot of things the manufacturer's are doing right now. Just because I sell them doesn't mean I'm naive to the fact that there is strong competition out there.

I love the teak floor on the G's. I'd like to see if it sticks well after a year or so in the hot sun. If it does, then I would definitely be a fan. Just not a fan of the undersized seats. That's all I'm saying. It's just one opinion and probably not a very valued one either.. ha

I do like MC's rear facing seat the best and I think the MC bow area on the XStar is a lil' cooler too with a bow filler in place. The rear facing seat backs are nice if you have people up front that want to watch the action.

I like the Z5 bimini tops for sure on the other brands but MC just put a deal together so we will soon have them.. Bout time if you ask me.. They are expensive, but look great.

just a few thoughts...
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-25-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
The one thing that just shocked me about the new star when I looked at it at our boat show was it was only rated for 14 people. I mean our 22ft Tige is rated for 15 people. The 24MXZ at the show was rated for 18 people. I am thinking maybe it had something to do with that lawsuit a few years ago with the X 45???
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-25-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Easy now.....
I've just lost site of the target market for these boats, apparently I am not it, I'm not hating on these wake beasts nor their owners, as they are obviously very well built very well engineered wake making machines. I'm just in both awe and confusion especially with all the g23 vs x star vs. blah de blah threads that have gone on. Sorry if I have offended anyone or come off like a prick, that was not my intended tone.

But back on topic. It's very evident MC thought about the judges and watchers with the his boat, they borrowed design cues from supra, nautique, and other brands and its working well for them with all those seats

Are the words "x star" molded in to the side in a 3d way? Interesting

Bruizza that is odd, every MC I have been in it also stated that "factory ballast does not detract from capacity" or something, is this still the case?
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-06-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
This is my favorite XStar so far.. We just got it in... It seems to be flashy but not too over the top
Attached Images

Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-06-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
Very nice Xstar Craig!
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-06-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
Thanks Bill!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-06-2013, 1:17 PM Reply   
^^^^NICE, clean.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-06-2013, 3:44 PM Reply   
I have to agree Craig, best XStar color and layout to date but I think it needs to sit on a black trailer
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-06-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
It def looks good...but think my new MB still looks better haha
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-06-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
I think it pops more on the white trailer but that's just me...

Just so you know.... We have black trailers available so dont let that hold you back... Ha
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-06-2013, 10:02 PM Reply   
That last one has too much white for me but the interior is nice.

Craig, back to your question on the G interior. I'm with you 100%. The CC boats have for some time been outfitted with "unfortunate" interiors. I'm a former CC owner and believe at one time they were the best boat on the market. I'm sure they are still very high quality but the angular design, right angles, high freeboard and thin interior cushions combine to make an awkward look. Design is subjective but IMO every other boat in the higher end segment is better looking than CC. MC used to have the best looking boats but lately I think BU and Supra have them beat. MC still has the best looking interiors though. The new vinyl is awesome.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-06-2013, 10:18 PM Reply   
To add to my last post:

Craig, concerning your comment on interior space. I'm a 08 xstar owner so I'm biased but I find it funny when people complain about lack of interior space with the xstar. I get that a big boat should hold more people but maximizing interior space isn't always the goal. If it was we'd all be driving mini-vans. The star is about form and function with an emphasis on form. A more "intimate" interior is part of the boat's appeal and it's style.

Keep those star pics coming!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-07-2013, 12:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarguy1 View Post
That last one has too much white for me but the interior is nice.

Craig, back to your question on the G interior. I'm with you 100%. The CC boats have for some time been outfitted with "unfortunate" interiors. I'm a former CC owner and believe at one time they were the best boat on the market. I'm sure they are still very high quality but the angular design, right angles, high freeboard and thin interior cushions combine to make an awkward look. Design is subjective but IMO every other boat in the higher end segment is better looking than CC. MC used to have the best looking boats but lately I think BU and Supra have them beat. MC still has the best looking interiors though. The new vinyl is awesome.
I've been saying this for some time now... nice to see I'm not the only one who notices this.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-07-2013, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
No offense, but I highly disagree with the point of rather having floor space than seating space and cushion size/height.. I'm not saying the XStar is a roomy, comfort machine because it's not.. But that's kind of the same way the 03-11's were too.

This G is huge though.. I just thought it needed larger, more comfortable cushions.. No biggie.
That was what made me decide to go with an Xstar. I had decided that I was going to upgrade this year, and had a very hard time choosing between the Xstar and the G23. I loved everything about the G, except the seating. Everywhere I sat, was a flat uncontoured surface with a straight up backrest. Try to lounge into one of the corners?? I don't think so, it is also a 90 degree corner, and very uncomfortable. The seats are small. They are not plush, and every angle is 90 degrees. It is like CC forgot that humans are not shaped like a box. On the other hand, the Xstar has curved seatbacks that are tilted back, which is 100% more comfortable. The lower cusions are plush and significantly larger as well.

With all of that said, if the G23 had a better interior, I would have probably gone that route. Mostly because it has more room, and has a proven surf wake. They are both really great boats though.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-07-2013, 7:46 AM Reply   
I also like the Star's profile in the water a little better too. I think it's maybe a lil sexier..
I'm not super big on the Ed Hardy, Affliction graphics either.. JS

They're both super nice though. You can't go wrong either way.
Attached Images

Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-07-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
I've not observed the g23 in the water yet but have seen the star and have to say I think the star seems kinda weird looking to me. Side profile its got that pontoon look in that it's seems a touch long and sits so low in the water. Maybe that's why it's got that hip in the middle which breaks up the line some.

As for the G interior I agree master craft has Nautique beat in vinyl! I love the MC interior patterns best of all the boats out there I think. Also agree that the G passenger seat is tiny! Much to small for such a great boat otherwise. But part of that is due to the flip up seat. And speaking of seating no boat out there does is better for allowing a crowd of people to sit back and watch what is going on behind the boat! I don't know about you guys but to me when I'm on the lake it ain't just floating around chilling as some say it's about loading down with ballast and making a kickbutt wake and pulling riders!