Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-18-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
This was posted in the surf forums but I wanted to bring it out and get more peoples take on it. Hope the links work.

It appears this is a x-25 sitting on the floor stand so this might be part of why it appears to flex so bad. Also maybe the guy shaking it is a steroid freak and putting some serious muscle behind it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hh-wGzH5LE&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrwtv...e_gdata_player
Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-18-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
No idea, as i've never tried something like that to a boat on floor stands.. However, I would not have expected that level of flexing out of any wake boat.. Very surprised.

Last edited by bushtree; 01-18-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: a
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-18-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
dang! ill try it at the boat show to a malibu in a couple weeks lol.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-18-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
Why don't you try it to all the boats you see
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-18-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Why don't you try it to all the boats you see
Just make sure no one is watching and be prepared to run...fast!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-18-2013, 2:50 PM Reply   
I know one model is a x-25 but what's the other?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-18-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
Just make sure no one is watching and be prepared to run...fast!
Why?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-18-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
The other looks like a x 45
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-18-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
wow... 2 different boats... that doesn't look very good. I remember in 07 or 08 when I went to the boat show, the MC salesman told me that one of the many reasons MC was better than Malibu was the hull flex. He had me push on an Xstar on the side of the boat and it would not flex, then told me that any of the new malibu's over in the malibu booth would flex a little bit. I asked why that matters and he said you do not want ANY flex in the boat cuz it causes problems, cracking, rattles....etc.

Not sure whats up with those two MC's, but something doesn't seem right, and I do not see how it matters if it is on the ground/blocks or a trailer...
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-18-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Why?
In case it falls off of the stand.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-18-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
That certainly does not look good. I would not agree with whomever told u MC dont flex. All boats have some flex. Too rigid could also cause problems. There is certainly a limit though. The only reason i could think of as far as what the boat is sitting on is that boats are engineered to have support weather its the trailer or water. Placing it on stands and not properly supporting it could be bad but this video is really ugly.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-18-2013, 7:13 PM Reply   
Bullshart.
OK show of hands:
How many structural hull failures in mastercraft boats have you seen or even heard of, Time and age regardless?

These are plastic boats. Do i think most tow boats are built like shizat compared to a real offshore capable boat, IE: Intrepid / Yellowfin? Cape Horn etc? Yes, 100% absafrikenlutely and its true. I could break one in a weekend but I would be using it for a purpose outside its designers' intentions.
There is not a tow boat built to a standard I would accept, laminate and grid schedule-wise as being worth 1/2 its market price.

Bling only goes so far when you can no longer see land.

If you put that build quality, lack of and total disrespect for deck water management and poor quality shafting,and electrical in any offshore boat you would be bankrupt in 6 months.
However, in the wold of tow boats that must look the part and never take a real beating, and never see salt water then Mastercraft does as good a job as any other boat builder. Do that shake test to all the other ones and you will likely see similar results.
After all that I repeat the opening line.:
Has anyone ever broken a Mastercraft? Anyone? .... crickets.

Apples and oranges, these days tow boats are more like cars than what most people would call a boat.

Last edited by baitkiller; 01-18-2013 at 7:17 PM.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-18-2013, 7:27 PM Reply   
it is hard to say how mc compares to other boats...hopefully someone can do the "push test" and post results....but i do agree that they are all makes are made like crap and are more bling than anything. and very overpriced new..
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-18-2013, 8:33 PM Reply   
Boats expand/contract/grow with temperature changes daily. How do you think composite/fiberglass materials react being in 70 degree water while being exposed to 100 degree+ air? Then going back to 70 degree water and 60 degree air? A boat that doesn't flex at all would be of more concern to me.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-19-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
This has already been addressed a while back.

A few thoughts....

1.) The floor stands are what, 3 point supports, 2 rear and 1 under the V towards the front? These boats are designed to be supported by a distributed load (pressure of the water) acting normal to the wetted surface...

2.) At what point on the water will you ever run into this scenario? The boat isnt designed for a situation where the rear is fixed, the front can "rock" on the support beneath the V.

Dont get me wrong, initially it is unnerving, but think about it further....i dont see it as a big issue.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-19-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
1) boats sit on boat trailers with 2-4 bunk supports, and sometimes under the v towards the front... tiny area in relation to the "designed" area supported when on water. Not far off from how they are supported on blocks at boat shows.

2) everytime your boat is on the trailer or lift... see answer #1 for further.

Whoever goes to the next boat show, please do this test to all the boats.. this is very interesting.
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-19-2013, 12:35 PM Reply   
Stop in at Redline and check out a model on the trailer. I doubt it'll be that bad. I'm pretty sure there'll be some degree of flex. Then compare to that SAN and report back.
Or are you just making sure before you pick up something with local service available?
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-19-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
A couple points:
1) The wobble is exacerbated by the fact that the boat is on a stand(s). This is not the operating environment for the boat. In the water, the fluid pressure on the hull provides a totally different support mode. While the stand does, somewhat, resemble the trailer, the reality is the trailer has a significantly high level of stiffness due to the steel. Further, in the real world there isnt really a force mechanism to load/test the hull like a strong guy reefin on the sidewall...
2) I am not shocked to see that wobble, nor would I be concerned. Especially with a quality name like MasterCraft. I would have no concerns over that boats structural integrity based on shaking it side to side on a stand.

My 2 cents
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-19-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
Have to admit i'd be curious to see how other boats do with the stand-wobble test..Also,if it made that big a deal on the water , you would see countless boats with structual damage.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-19-2013, 6:06 PM Reply   
i have yet to see/read an explanation of how compliance in the hull is a negative attribute.

this is the problem with our "sport". i put it in quotations because the experience of enjoying the outdoors on a perfectly flat piece of water has been complicated by the means to do so. with the man-made (and imperfect as perceived by our arm chair engineers) enhancers of our activities, the sport has become about the vessel.

look at the bazillionty threads about this wake vs that wake, this boat vs that boat, and the how to weight my boat retardation that overwhelms these forums. wakeboarding is the only discipline that minimizes that penalty of not learning how to ride because water is relatively soft.

pure douchebaggery.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-19-2013, 7:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
1) boats sit on boat trailers with 2-4 bunk supports, and sometimes under the v towards the front... tiny area in relation to the "designed" area supported when on water. Not far off from how they are supported on blocks at boat shows.

2) everytime your boat is on the trailer or lift... see answer #1 for further.

Whoever goes to the next boat show, please do this test to all the boats.. this is very interesting.
2 to 4 bunks that are approximately 4+ feet long each, 3-4" wide, and flex ever so slightly to "hug" the hull are MUCH different than 3 rigid supports.... but, without any technical specifications, without seeing the supports on the boat in the actual video, without breaking out my old statics and mechanics of materials book, and without making more assumptions, I can't prove anything to anyone...

...I put my faith in the engineers working at MC, as well as all other manufacturers, who's job it is to design something safe that we all get to enjoy....

Why criticize a company for an attribute that is exhibited by their product in an environment in which it was not designed to perform? Go shake the tower while its sitting at the doc and see what happens. Go shake it on the trailer and see what happens.
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-19-2013, 10:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
i have yet to see/read an explanation of how compliance in the hull is a negative attribute.

this is the problem with our "sport". i put it in quotations because the experience of enjoying the outdoors on a perfectly flat piece of water has been complicated by the means to do so. with the man-made (and imperfect as perceived by our arm chair engineers) enhancers of our activities, the sport has become about the vessel.

look at the bazillionty threads about this wake vs that wake, this boat vs that boat, and the how to weight my boat retardation that overwhelms these forums. wakeboarding is the only discipline that minimizes that penalty of not learning how to ride because water is relatively soft.

pure douchebaggery.
I'm not following this very well. Unless you're saying that anyone involved in a sport towed by a vessel, and concerned about the suitability of the vessel is a dbag. If that's what you meant then I got it, though I wouldn't understand why you're posting here when you should be on a swimming forum.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-19-2013, 11:26 PM Reply   
So after watching that video I thought something was funny. look at a picture of how the rear deck is designed on an X-25. Its on hinges, of course it would move a little when the boat is shaking like this. On most boats those rear locker sun pads are just hinged to the side of the boat so when you shake the boat you wouldn't see them moving. Its funny how people come up with some of this stuff.
Attached Images

Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-20-2013, 5:04 AM Reply   
^^^bingo!Makes sense.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-20-2013, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
I'm not following this very well. Unless you're saying that anyone involved in a sport towed by a vessel, and concerned about the suitability of the vessel is a dbag. If that's what you meant then I got it, though I wouldn't understand why you're posting here when you should be on a swimming forum.
I didn't follow it very well either except to understand that we are dbags. I'm not sure I can confirm that though.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-20-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
I guess according to him I am suffering from "retardation". Oh, and I made it all these years without a diagnosis, only to be outed on a wake boarding website.
Old     (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-20-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
So after watching that video I thought something was funny. look at a picture of how the rear deck is designed on an X-25. Its on hinges, of course it would move a little when the boat is shaking like this. On most boats those rear locker sun pads are just hinged to the side of the boat so when you shake the boat you wouldn't see them moving. Its funny how people come up with some of this stuff.
Levi,

Good theory, but not so fast! Look at the 2nd video. The entire boat is flexing something awful. Look at the sway in the dash and the passenger seat The guy isn't shaking that hard either. I agree with you about the rear deck, but the sway in the hull (areas just referenced) is still disturbing.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-20-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
My guess it's real flex cuz all of these hulls have shape like usual carton box and they have no any crossbars which will keep this shape with no flex. Even lower frame doing a bottom stiff but not exclude along axle swing of total deformation. On the water you can see easy how that work when crossing own wake under some angles and you will watch on the gap and the upper corner level of closed crosswalk windshield.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEkErF51Uxg
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-20-2013, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think you put way to much thought into that post. I tried to read it, scratched my head and moved on! Chalked it up to someones drunk post!

As for the x-25 hatch that makes more sense knowing its design but still makes the boat look pretty weak.

Let's stop down at redline an you can record and I'll shake! .
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-20-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
Hope someone posts some wobble tests on other brands to compare.Not sure this presents any problems out on water but quite curious.Not just with inboards any boat (I/o,outboard).
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-20-2013, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Well said.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-20-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
I thought MC uses a box-like stringer system, not just 2 stringers running from bow to stern... but cross beams/stringers? as well? that design was supposed to stiffen the hull, no?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-20-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
All you guys complaining and being worried about this are just retards. Like stated before, if this were a real life issue while on the trailer or water, then none of the mfgs would be in business anymore. I personally have been out on boats with over 4k hours on them. Granted they have had a fair amount of engine work done but, the hulls have been sent through some serious torture tests with countless double and triple ups beig thrown their way and I have yet to see any issues at all
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
What Jason said.... This video is a dead horse. It was posted on WW last year or even earlier then that. When's the last time you've heard of a Mastercraft or any of the other brands for that matter have a major issue because of excessive flexing in the water. Spider cracks and gel coat issues maybe, but no this.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-20-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
perhaps i am a little too sensitive [more likely that i am positively too sensitive].

a video was posted showing a piece of fiberglass in the form of a boat hull flexing under load. it created a reaction that assigned that flex as a negative attribute. nowhere in the discussion did a nautical engineer opine whether or not flex is tolerable, and if so, to what degree . skyscrapers flex. the frames on our trucks that tow our boats flex. bicycle frames flex they are all engineered with some compliance to negotiate the environments in which they are used. one of the theories of contributing factors to the Titanic's rapid sinking was the fact that it did not flex enough,

whats my point? there is too much emphasis on what the "right" answer is for wakeboarding when it comes to the vessel being used. it seems that the wake scene has become a ford v chevy v doge pissing match, when in reality, all of them will do the job more than adequately. it seems that if you dont have brand x loaded with one billion lbs of ballast (per whatever the forums recommend) and 9 megawatts of stereo, then you cannot possibly be enjoying the experience. that is the douchebaggery of which i speak.

that being said, i own a 230 with 3k lbs of ballast plumbed in and 6k watts of stereo, so i am not immune. i have not had a more measurable amount of fun in or behind it than i did on my 2000 moomba outback, which proved to be the most trouble free of the last 5 boats i have owned. and out of all of them, i find the experience to be greatest behind my sea doo just board sliding flat water on my wakeskate in places where boats cant get...its akin to riding fresh powder in the backcountry vs riding groomers.. but i digress...time to go back to my swimming hole, hahaha.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-20-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
To flex or not to flex? That is the question!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
Well, I'm an engineer and given how that boat is likely supported, that amount of flex looks about right. It would never flex like that on the water. The boat is likely being supported at three points and he's putting a huge torsional load on that hull. Thank goodness that fiberglass flexes as much as it does. If it was super rigid, it would either crack like crazy over every wave or it would weigh a million pounds. Pointless videos. Too bad Mastercraft has to deal with the negativity.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-21-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Well, I'm an engineer and given how that boat is likely supported, that amount of flex looks about right. It would never flex like that on the water. The boat is likely being supported at three points and he's putting a huge torsional load on that hull. Thank goodness that fiberglass flexes as much as it does. If it was super rigid, it would either crack like crazy over every wave or it would weigh a million pounds. Pointless videos. Too bad Mastercraft has to deal with the negativity.
Looks just about right??? That's a funny comment. Would it still look just about right if it were a bayliner?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-21-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
It actually doesn't look like it's twisting much at all... Probably racking the stand, the hatch is moving and twisting exacerbating the optical illusion.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-21-2013, 10:10 AM Reply   
Lets all remember this discussion next time a boat vs boat discussion comes up. Seems that too many times fanboys want to say that other boats are inferior for this reason or that, yet none of the major brands have had any history of hull failures. There is more than one way to build a quality boat and make it withstand what is needed for a wakeboard boat.

Last edited by Bamabonners; 01-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-21-2013, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Well, I'm an engineer and given how that boat is likely supported, that amount of flex looks about right. It would never flex like that on the water.
I'm not agree. On the water if you have glass surface ofcourse yeah. But if boat does dubs or have wake from others boats.... during crossing wake will be produced much more power! Even single mass of tower will work more. Or are these boats not constructed for perform dubs or MC is the one boat at the lake always?
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-21-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
I'm not agree. On the water if you have glass surface ofcourse yeah. But if boat does dubs or have wake from others boats.... during crossing wake will be produced much more power! Even single mass of tower will work more. Or are these boats not constructed for perform dubs or MC is the one boat at the lake always?
Sorry to do this twice in one thread, but
What? I can't follow this. What do you mean by "Even single mass of tower will work more."? That's one of the things in this that makes no sense to me.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-21-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
Shook a CC this weekend on trailer and it wouldnt do anything. Guess their towers are built more solid. Who was it who said that MC uses thicker fiberglass or was it thicker vinyl?? JK
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
The vinyl is thicker for structural stability.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       01-22-2013, 6:24 AM Reply   
I am an engineer too. The issues here are:

1) The three point suspension (I assume there are two blocks in the rear and one in the front) resulting in no torsional support. You would not see nearly the flex if these boats were on a trailer with 4-point suspension.

2) Most boats are open-sections* ( see description below) which are not stiff in the torsional directions.

I agree that I would prefer to see no flex but I don't see a structural problem with these boats.

* - To understand an open section vs a closed sections, consider a paper towel tube. If you grab both ends and twist there is very little deflection, this is a closed-section. Now if you make a cut along the length of the tub it becomes an open-section. Slight torsional loads on this tube result in large deflections.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-22-2013, 6:49 AM Reply   
Friends has 2011 X-45 shakes that bad on the water noticed it one day while holding it at the dock on a river with a little current. Never noticed it while driving and he has never had any issues with stress cracks so don't think it's really any think to worry about.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2013, 8:25 AM Reply   
Read the comment below the video.

"The subframe that supports the pylon and runs from one gunnel to the next is not installed in this boat. This same thing would happen to any major manufacturer of that stressed member was removed".
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-22-2013, 3:11 PM Reply   
I've been wondering when someone would actually read the description instead of making assumptions. lol

Last edited by mofreestyle; 01-22-2013 at 3:15 PM.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-22-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
Damn guys....I really wanted someone to go around and start shaking boats at the boat shows lol
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2013, 8:20 PM Reply   
Why the hell was the boat sitting there at a show with subframe pieces missing?!
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2013, 2:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
Why the hell was the boat sitting there at a show with subframe pieces missing?!
I will no wonder if some says no engine inside too
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2013, 2:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Read the comment below the video.
Are you sure that all comments on videos like this, were come from smart head?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-23-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
If you cut all the legs of a frog off and tell it to jump, it won't. Therefore, it must be deaf.

Must be the off season...
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
It makes no sense that a company would send two boats to a dealer to take to a boatshow with missing structural components. That's ridiculous.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-23-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
It makes no sense that a company would send two boats to a dealer to take to a boatshow with missing structural components. That's ridiculous.
i agree why in the world would the make a construct a boat with out the structual components...because im pretty sure no one will buy a boat that shakes like that...so it would be a waste of money for Mastercraft....there is obviously something mwrong with these boats
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
It makes perfect sense. And it happens all the time. Every year, every boat builder is rushing to get the new stuff to the boat show to show off. It doesn't need to perform, or drive or even start. It just needs to look pretty enough to get orders.

The 2012 Xstar was the perfect example. The boat never even made it to production.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICAH_HARPER View Post
i agree why in the world would the make a construct a boat with out the structual components...because im pretty sure no one will buy a boat that shakes like that...so it would be a waste of money for Mastercraft....there is obviously something mwrong with these boats
I've never shaken a boat like that. It's usually not on my check list.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-23-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
I've never shaken a boat like that. It's usually not on my check list.
i havnt either but i will now...lol
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
It makes perfect sense. And it happens all the time. Every year, every boat builder is rushing to get the new stuff to the boat show to show off. It doesn't need to perform, or drive or even start. It just needs to look pretty enough to get orders.

The 2012 Xstar was the perfect example. The boat never even made it to production.
No comments..
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-23-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
Ask ANYONE who has ridden in an X-25 if they shake on the water or ride rough. The X-25 is an incredibly stable and smooth riding boat. There are NO hull issues. This thread needs to end. It's just an attempt to make MC look bad when in fact we all know there is NOTHING wrong with the best selling hull in the MC line up. I'd bet most of the people trashing it haven't even ride in or behind one.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
I could understand if the issue was, hey, there were some tower supports left off, or the platform was not on the boat, or there was not time to get the amps installed, but to suggest that any manufacturer would completely build a boat, install an entire interior, install all bells, whistles and options, but not install an integral part of the superstructure of the internal hull, just to get a boat to a show, is going full retard. The entire freaking boat would have to be torn down to go back and put internal support pieces in place. I'm not buying it.

That being said, I could care less anyway. I bet if you were to go up to most boats and do what these guys did, they would flex to a degree. We could settle this if someone would just film themselves shaking an x25 at a boatshow this weekend...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-23-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ask ANYONE who has ridden in an X-25 if they shake on the water or ride rough. The X-25 is an incredibly stable and smooth riding boat. There are NO hull issues. This thread needs to end. It's just an attempt to make MC look bad when in fact we all know there is NOTHING wrong with the best selling hull in the MC line up. I'd bet most of the people trashing it haven't even ride in or behind one.
I've spent almost 350 hours In them. There's a brutal amount of creaks and shakes the tower, glove box, and aluminum door walk way. The ride is good but it does have its shakes are creaks...

Last edited by simplej; 01-23-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-23-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexair View Post
Are you sure that all comments on videos like this, were come from smart head?
'Smart head'. I love it. I'm gonna start using that one.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-23-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
I could understand if the issue was, hey, there were some tower supports left off, or the platform was not on the boat, or there was not time to get the amps installed, but to suggest that any manufacturer would completely build a boat, install an entire interior, install all bells, whistles and options, but not install an integral part of the superstructure of the internal hull, just to get a boat to a show, is going full retard. The entire freaking boat would have to be torn down to go back and put internal support pieces in place. I'm not buying it.

That being said, I could care less anyway. I bet if you were to go up to most boats and do what these guys did, they would flex to a degree. We could settle this if someone would just film themselves shaking an x25 at a boatshow this weekend...
...Smart Head
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-23-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
I rode in and behind one this past Dec. thought it was pretty nice wake and nice boat! It wasn't rough out and we didn't do dubs but it seemed solid to me. I'd prob buy one but don't like the seating arrangement or am not entirely sure it's potential to build a large wake and not be finicky. Oh and the $100k price tag isn't exactly appealing either!
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-23-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
i could understand if the issue was, hey, there were some tower supports left off, or the platform was not on the boat, or there was not time to get the amps installed, but to suggest that any manufacturer would completely build a boat, install an entire interior, install all bells, whistles and options, but not install an integral part of the superstructure of the internal hull, just to get a boat to a show, is going full retard. The entire freaking boat would have to be torn down to go back and put internal support pieces in place. I'm not buying it.

That being said, i could care less anyway. I bet if you were to go up to most boats and do what these guys did, they would flex to a degree. We could settle this if someone would just film themselves shaking an x25 at a boatshow this weekend...
this!!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
It's a boat SHOW. Not a test drive or demo. Many boats at the show are thrown together just in time to display. Believe or don't. It happens.

Chat, if Mastercraft would completely design, assemble, and deliver the one 2012 Xstar in existence to the boat show, in advance of even having the bugs worked out for a production, then what makes you think that they wouldn't skip a structural component in one boat just to have something for the customer to walk around in and touch. It's not really a big deal in my opinion. Until someone mistakes an incomplete boat for finished product and starts a thread about it on the internet. :-)
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
CIE - the difference is that the X25 didn't just come out, and this particular X25 was obviously not the first prototype in existence. I understand what it takes to get ready for shows, and how, when time runs out, some corners are cut. I just don't buy the excuse as it relates to what is depicted in these videos. Plus, those are two different videos of two different boats. Are you suggesting that MC built two different boats without internal supports in the hull that happened to be at the same show?

C'mon man! Hahaha

I go back to my point that, who cares anyway? That is, until someone can confirm that other boats, shaken the same way, on the same type floor stands, don't flex as much, and then also, that there is some actual verifiable negative consequence of this amount of flex, when the MC's are used IN THE WATER.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
moombas are garbage!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-24-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
CIE - the difference is that the X25 didn't just come out, and this particular X25 was obviously not the first prototype in existence. I understand what it takes to get ready for shows, and how, when time runs out, some corners are cut. I just don't buy the excuse as it relates to what is depicted in these videos. Plus, those are two different videos of two different boats. Are you suggesting that MC built two different boats without internal supports in the hull that happened to be at the same show?

C'mon man! Hahaha
The point was, that the boat models were not the prototype. The power tower was being shown off, before it was available on a boat. Due to the fact that MCs had always been 4 point towers, the boats were not built for a 2 point tower.

The "2 different videos", that you speak of, were done by the same person, on the same day, at the same boat show......
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-24-2013, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
The point was, that the boat models were not the prototype. The power tower was being shown off, before it was available on a boat. Due to the fact that MCs had always been 4 point towers, the boats were not built for a 2 point tower.

The "2 different videos", that you speak of, were done by the same person, on the same day, at the same boat show......
This was done in 2011 right to I assume 2011 models. Wasn't the power tower or 2pt tower available even on 2010 models? And for sure on the 2011s?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-24-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
This was done in 2011 right to I assume 2011 models. Wasn't the power tower or 2pt tower available even on 2010 models? And for sure on the 2011s?
2011 was the first year for 2 point towers, and only the ZFT5p. It was also very late to hit production boats. An early 2011 could only get the ZFT3.

2010 towers were only ZFT1, and ZFT3. Both were 4 point.
2011 was only ZFT3, until late production boats, which could get the ZFT5p
2012 was the ZFT2, and ZFT5p, until late production when the ZFT4 came out. All of which are 2 point.
2013 They introduced the ZFT0 (fixed 2 point), and offer the ZFT4, and ZFT5p as options still.
Old     (squeezer)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-24-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
A summer spent in and behind a friends Mastercraft is what prompted me to buy a Sanger...
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-24-2013, 5:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezer View Post
A summer spent in and behind a friends Mastercraft is what prompted me to buy a Sanger...
I just sold a Sanger for a Mastercraft. I didn't think it would be much more solid than the Sanger but it is. Handles the chop better also.
Attached Images

Old     (DocksideDon)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-25-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
I couldn't resist...this video, while somewhat shocking, is just that. the boat is on a single block on the front and two on the rear with the running gear removed. this is done in order to bring the boat down to an eye level. shaking it on these blocks shows a "shake" or "flex" that is impossible to occur in normal operation. It is improperly supported. I doubt you would see even a quarter of that flex on the trailer or running across the lake. This entire thread is a moot point. BTW...I sell both MCs and CC's. They all do it on the three block setup. (regardless of brand/model) Hope this helps.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
'Smart head'. I love it. I'm gonna start using that one.
Gave permission for one month
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-28-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
So, what should we fight about next?
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-28-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
What should we fight about next? I'm open to suggestions.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-28-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
What should we fight about next? I'm open to suggestions.
How about what's the best looking aftermarket tower for the '85 SS?
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-29-2013, 5:12 AM Reply   
Now that could cause fights. I knew I could count on you.