Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-06-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
I've met so many special and great people through wakeboarding over the years. I'm sad to hear we lost one of the best of them last night. I consider myself lucky to have known you Bill and I'll miss your great smile, laugh and mellow disposition. The Pillsbury sausage fest will never be the same without you.

My condolences to the Kapell family.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-06-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
BK
Attached Images

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-06-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...ash-remembered

Sad.
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-06-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Well put Walt. Couldnt have said it better. I will miss him.
Attached Images

Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       11-06-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
I am at a loss, Bill was more than one of the crew. Every weekend and usually a few days during the week we were on the Delta enjoying the essence of what wakeboarding is all about. He put in endless hours during DRA events without wanting anything in return. He has touched a lot of lives with his great attitude and unforgettable laugh. He will be greatly missed and is a huge loss to the Delta community. Please give your prayers and best wishes to his wife and son left now with only his memory.
You will be so missed Hommie.....I will ride with you in my thoughts
Attached Images

Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-06-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
As many of you have herd our local Dicovery bay/Brentwood friend Bill Kapell was in a tragic harley accident last night. Bill lost his life but is survived by a large amount of friends and family. Below is a little something I wrote up about a few of my experiences with a great man.
I had the honor of Meeting Bill Kapell about 7 years ago on the Ca delta. Bill was best friends with Gary Haavisto ( DRA owner and organizer), Bill along with a few other guys started "Delta Riders Association" and brought amateur wake comps. to the local Ca. delta. Bill was always in a good mood running around with a radio helping out doing everything in his power to help Gary make the day go smooth for all of the riders. At the time Bill's son Derek was around 12 and I do not think he riding in the comps. but that didn't stop Bill from helping to be a huge part of the set up and day. His wife Marcie was always behind the sign in booth with Stacey Haavisto getting us all checked in and making us feel welcome to these new awesome events.
My birthday is today Nov. 6th most of you reading this are probably asking why should you care. You shouldn’t, except this weekend marks the first time that I had beers and rode dirt bikes with Bill. On my annual dirtbike Birthday camping trip to Davis Flatt in Stonyford Ca. All of my friends were hanging out trying to figure out how to light off a corona bomb, we were all about 22 years old and had noticed some other old guys doing it earlier and of course we had to try. As were fumbling around the fire with gas and Corona bottles we looked over to see once again the camp site across the way light up with a huge mushroom cloud. We had had it and we needed some adult instruction on this one, haha. We headed over to the camp across the way and started asking question and soon realized that it was the guy from the delta, Bill KABRAL as I introduced him like 5 times with the wrong last name to my buddies. Bill was drinking a blue moon and laughed and called me an idiot and we walked into his camp and were schooled on the art of the corona bomb.
In the spring/maybe fall of 2007ish either way it was pooring rain. DRA hosted a Slider event at Orwood. I showed up on Friday afternoon to help set up and build some permanent and floating sliders. Bill and I spent hours in the freezing (60 degree) water pounding posts and building a flat bar at high to mid tide. I kept saying, “Bill this thing going to be so high when it’s low tide” he would laugh and say “get your hops ready son, you’re the one hitting it not me” hahaha. Sure enough the final round came and there I was a with three awesome riders standing on the start dock in the rain after dark (huge spot lights glowing) staring at this 40 foot flat bar 3’ out of the water that I barely got on an hour ago when the tide was 8’ higher, needless to say I punted the face of the rail, as I thought I would and landed in the mud. No pain but a great laugh for everyone on the leave watching.
Bill Had a B52, I had a wakeboard and an itch to ride, so naturally I invited myself to ride with him and always brought a friend or 2. Soon his group became my group and vise versa. These past few years Bill myself and J-Pod would ride wake a lot together from up at Walts spot at lake Pillsburry for our annual “sausage fest” camping/ wake trip, Rollins lake for a random weekend with the Haavisto’s, CIE SPRING RIDE, dirt bikes at Jawbone canyon, many unforgettable delta nights and weekends. And of course My birthday Annual b-day camping trip which also was his friend Ken’s annual Birthday trip. This weekend Bill Had planned to be up at the annual camping trip and was also planning something special . Bill had been planning for his good friend that he lost 6 months ago to a heart attack. Bill and Pam (Ken’s widow) Penny Pines (Davis Flatt burned down this year). About 20 wake and dirt friends will be standing by waiting for details about the weekend, waiting to make a decision on whether to take the trip or not. And waiting for the instant to jump and help with whatever the family needs.

Bill will be missedby us all in the wake and dirt community and we wish the best for his family, Marcie and Derek and the other friends that call themselves family because Bill made them feel so welcome and always brought a smile to their faces.
Woo Woo!!
RIP BRO,
KP
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-06-2012, 5:23 PM Reply   
I can't grasp the fact that I will never see Bill again. I didn't see him often but I always looked forward to spending time with him during our yearly trip to Lake Pillsbury. Bill was one of the most genuine people I've ever met. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this time. RIP my friend. You will be missed.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-06-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
Great guy, he will be missed. Thoughts and well wishes go out to his family and all his friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-06-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
I have had all day to ponder the good times with Bill. I can say he was one of the purest and coolest dudes there was. I always trusted him and enjoyed every minute we spent togther. He always brought his positive energy and great spirit. I just can't believe he is gone and I will not get to joke with him and pull back a frosty one. Many this is crazy. Just too damn young and too damn good of a guy.

Miss you bro! You will never be forgot and always be remembered for the great guy you were.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-06-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
I have changed my facebook profile (as a few others have) to remember my friend every day and to remind myself and others that every day is crictical.

RIP Little buddy
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-06-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
Bill was one of those guys that you couldn't help but have fun around. He made it to every Spring Ride and always had a smile on his face. Last year at KP's annual party we were riding in a big group and got seperated. I was in the group that Bill ended up in. When we got to a split in the trail and didn't know which way to go he stopped and opened his back pack which was full of beer. Instead of charging off to try to find everyone we just chilled, had a beer and let them come to us. As people started rolling in he kept passing the beers out. Pretty soon we had most of the crew and were all standing there laughing wondering how he had carried just about a full 12 pack in his back pack.

RIP bud. We'll miss you around here. I'm not sure what we're going to do this weekend, but you'll be a part of it in our hearts. Your Corona bombs are part of your legacy. I'm sure we'll think of you when we light them off.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-06-2012, 7:19 PM Reply   
I only had the pleasure to hang out with Bill at a few comps, But he made you feel like you knew him forever.
Crazy how things change so quickly.
I hope his family finds comfort in knowing how much he was liked.
Condolences to his family and friends.
Jx3
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       11-06-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
WOW, so sorry for everybody that has to live with a sudden loss of what seems to be a really great guy. I can't get over the leather beer holder... LOL. Now that's legit. The feet in the fire pit on facebook is one of the best pics I have ever seen!
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-06-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
I met bill about 6 years ago and saw him a hand full of times each year.. No matter at a event or passing by him him on the boat he was always smiling

We'll all miss you Bill and your smile will remain on with us all!!!!

Rip my friend until we meet again!
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-06-2012, 8:10 PM Reply   
RIP Bill. Sausage fest wont be the same with out you. Cant imagine what it will be like not having Bill dozing off next to the fire and either getting lit on fire or getting hit with the fire extinguisher. You will be missed buddy.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-07-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
RIP Bill, our prayers are with your family.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-07-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
Unreal! Bill was the best.

You will be missed, may you Woo Woo on the other side!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            11-07-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
Never met the guy but from the stories you guys are telling and from what Ive read...he was a good man and will be dearly missed! My condolences go out to you his friends and his family.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-07-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
the Moto and Wake Community will definitely miss this genuine guy.....wasn't the best of friends but when i saw him on the water i made sure to have a great chat with him about some type of shenanigans....Spring Ride wont be the same for sure.....He wont be forgotten.....RIP bud.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-08-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
I had the pleasure of spending a few days in the boat with Bill through our mutual Friends in the DRA. Bill always had a great attitude and was friendly and fun. He was always the guy pitching in, first to start winding the rope up after someone was done, etc. What I remember most was his genuine enjoyment of just being on the boat and riding with us. I remember him taking the beefiest falls, scorpions, etc. and hopping in the boat and just laughing it off. Gary and I would sit there dying laughing at some of the falls he took....good times. I will never forgot those fun days. I think he was there with us when we got buzzed by the Blue Angels out north of Orwoods on Gary's Supra. I remember just sitting there in the slough chilling and watching them do their thing.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-08-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
Such a bummer!