Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-10-2012, 2:57 AM Reply   
Today is a long time coming. We are finally in the final chapter of a process/story that has taken well over a year for us, and longer for Tige. If you don't remember or didn't see it we did a video this past November regarding the new Z3 and Tige's efforts to engineer the hull for wakesurfing. You can see it here:

http://youtu.be/bGQjpivMcy8

The gist of it is that they bought us out to texas to test several hull designs and help them build a great wakesurf boat. In the video, you will notice that we loved the wake, but we had 3 complaints. The curl was a bit big and even though the wake was long it would effectively shorten the pocket since it would grab your leg, their was too much spray at certain taps positions and it hindered the ability to use the full range of TAPS adjustability. We stated in the video that Tige was working on solving those things and even though we didn't see the device, they told us of it in general terms and we looked forward to trying it. They were very general due to patent issues and lawyers and all of those things that I have nothing to do with.

We went home and soon received our new Z3 and have loved it thoroughly. The plan was to have the device by the West Coast Wakesurf Open, to show off to everyone. That didn't happen and to bridge the gap we were using a mudflap on the boat to eliminate wash at every taps position. It worked pretty darn well, but was ugly as sin. I never showed pictures of it because it was always supposed to be temporary. Well we have been working with Tige and asking, no begging, to be able to get this device so that we could test and show it off at our Polar Bear event this coming weekend. Pretty cool that Tige is willing to take their only working prototype and allow a bunch of weekend warrior surfers give it a good rogering.

We got the boat back from Abilene, TX this past Thursday and tested Friday and Saturday with our family and buddy Dennis. When we first saw it, I though of something my little 7 year old says when she sees a lady with a large posterior. She says, "Check out the caboose on that thing!". Thinking of that I said out loud, this Boat Got Back, and we nicknamed the device the BGB until it has a real name. So what does it look like? I put together a video that will hopefully answer a bunch of your questions and is mastered in 1080P so you get a real good look. It is full of testing video of many riders, and I think you will be impressed by the shape and smoothness of the wake, along with its length, and amazing adjustibility. So here is the video, make sure you hit full screen and watch this one in its full 1080P glory. I hope you like it, and its informative.

As far as riding it, 25 lucky people will be riding it this weekend at Lake Oroville along with 4 or 5 other world class wakesurf boats, what a weekend!

So here are 2 flickr photo sets you can peruse. This first one is our normal weight setup we use all the time. Pro Stock Ballast plus about 600lbs extra in the surf corner.

Z3 with BGB - Normal Weight

Then there is the experiment we said we would do in the fall, add more weight. So we added 1100lbs in the center and it didn't break a sweat. The rub rail is still 4 inches from the water.

Z3 with BGB - Heavier Weight

Lastly, here are a few of my favorite pictures.

The BGB.

IMG_0580 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_0589 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_0605 by wake9, on Flickr

The bare wake, normal weight.

IMG_0611 by wake9, on Flickr

RJ loved the wake and loved the lip, the device didn't destroy the lip.

IMG_1971 by wake9, on Flickr

When the kids have a great wake with a great transition, they just get better. Check out Thomas bottom turn to slash.

IMG_3066 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_3069 by wake9, on Flickr

This is with the extra weight, and the wake was big and beefy. RJ's board is 4'8".

IMG_3338 by wake9, on Flickr

This is a great shot because I am almost standing up and the wake still looks big. This is Allison, first season surfing.

IMG_3338 by wake9, on Flickr

I had RJ hold the camera REAL low so you can see the transition, super smooth. Allison is 5'8".

IMG_4485 by wake9, on Flickr

That's it for now, can't wait to spend more time with it. Hopefully you will see these at the boat shows.