Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-06-2012, 3:20 AM Reply   
My 4 year old went wireless very briefly for the first time, hoping to get her weight movement a little better this weekend and have her holding the wave longer. She's the youngest I've seen surfing independently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ITZU...yer_detailpage

Proud Mom
Old     (93sportnautique)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-06-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
That sounds awesome. The video is not working though.
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-09-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ITZU...yer_detailpage

Hope you can see her!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2012, 6:39 PM Reply   
awesome! thats crazy!

no more powerturns please
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
that is quite impressive! My seven year old just went for like 3 minutes ropeless for the first time and it is no easy task, so congrats to you
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-09-2012, 7:22 PM Reply   
Thats awesome! How did she pull up? Standing like everyone else or did she start laying down or something?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-09-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
That's awesome! My oldest just turned 5 on Friday and is really progressing wakeboarding. He's asked a couple times to surf but I'd much rather have him spending more time wakeboarding at this point.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-09-2012, 10:10 PM Reply   
Congrats! Can't blame you to much on the power turn. It is a four year old after all.
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-10-2012, 3:48 AM Reply   
She's been kneeboarding since she was 3 so we used that to our advantage. She gets up on her knees at the back of the board, then she leans to the side she surfs on to get out of the wake of the boat, and then she places the rope down on the board to stabilize herself while she gets her feet underneath her. We've been really discussing foot placement a lot now that we are trying to get her up for longer periods of time so she wiggles her toes around while squatted down.They can always squat back down if you run into rough water to help them lower their gravity and get their balance. We've taught a lot of people to surf this Summer and it is so hard when they are tiny. She only weighs 34 lbs and is about 37 inches tall. She is a very small 4, just turned 4 in July. Her 6 yo sister is just a little behind her in ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omDvR...feature=relmfu
Old     (smartin)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-13-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
That is amazing! As she gets better and rides longer you got to post some more videos as it would be inspiring to my wife and dauthers who are wakeboarding snobs lol. I like to do both but can't get the others to try! Thanks for sharing!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-13-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Very cool.
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-13-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
try using a magic marker and draw where her feet should go, seems to help our little folks when they learn t surf, maybe, long rectanglur boxes where they should go so it is not excat but close to the width and edge for many people
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-14-2012, 6:54 PM Reply   
We had the same thought about the magic marker! Luckily she's been improving at wiggling her little toes more toe side on the board. She really is tiny, at barely 4 and only 34lbs and 37 inches she is a sight to see out on the water. The saddest part is we are running out of boating weekends. This time of year I feel like the only one hating the sight of Fall.
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-16-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
Back out today with Ellie. She is doing really well; this video gives some snapshots from her perspective and you get to see her personality as she dances at the end! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X9Pm...&feature=share