Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-29-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Is this for real? lacks info and only one pic. Nothing on website. You would think they would have had an official release of some sort or did I miss something? Discuss

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34745
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-29-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
Epic has never been good about their web site in terms of:
-Having a good web site
- Keeping their web site updated

If it is just 2 I bet it was a custom thing.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
I am not sure I have ever seen or heard of a hyundai diesel. Are there any dealers in the USA? How hard are parts to get for the engine? If it is anything like Yanmar, Komatsu, etc.. all the parts will be insanely expensive and a lot will be captive so you can't find them in the aftermarket, or at least not very easy.

I am also suprised you can get away with just a 250hp diesel in a 23' wakeboat. I guess if it has the tourque though.

Last edited by polarbill; 08-29-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
WOW! Thats pretty cool. I'd love to see it in person and hear the engine on the water, could be pretty damn cool.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-29-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Must be fun surfing those fumes
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-29-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
FIRST AND ONLY OF ITS KIND Sounds like one to stay away from.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-29-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
FIRST AND ONLY OF ITS KIND Sounds like one to stay away from.
Let's pretend mhunter didn't post and go on with a civil discussion that contains some validity.

Carry on!

I want to see a video of this thing in action....
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-29-2012, 2:13 PM Reply   
Not manufactured by EPIC, was purchased as an unbranded hull and the person installed the diesel himself and the sticker on the side. EPIC have not tested a diesel configuration.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-29-2012, 2:15 PM Reply   
Diesels are all about torque Brett. Keep in mind your big rigs have like 500 horsepower.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-29-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnargnar View Post
Must be fun surfing those fumes
one more reason to not surf
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Diesels are all about torque Brett. Keep in mind your big rigs have like 500 horsepower.
I guess if they can get 450+ pounds of torque out of it it should be fine.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-29-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
Brett are you talking about semi trucks? If so the old cat 3206 only produced something like 350hp at 1800rpm. But made 1400-1800 ft/lbs of torque.
The new ones make it look old and tired.
It's not that hard to get the modern one ton pick ups into the 1,000 ft/lb balpark.
Old     (chicksdigflips)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-29-2012, 4:43 PM Reply   
Hey guys just wanted to clear some things up... That is my boat I bought the hull from epic and engine from diesel company. Engine has two year not to exceed 2000 hrs warranty.

Surf wise no their no black smoke you can't even tell it a diesel except when you start it you can tell by the sound and when the turbo whines up.

This Is the same company that has already done two Malibus and has put over 600 hrs on their first Malibu prototype no issues.

I just picked my boat up I only got to use it for acouple hours on the water test. That is the reason I haven't started a post with videos or pics. There will be plenty of pics and video once it gets back to FL.

Feel free to come check it out and demo it anytime. I will update post once i am back on the water
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-29-2012, 6:57 PM Reply   
Diesel engines are super solid, and from the looks of that engine, its a closed loop cooling system also. I would swap my gas PCM engine for that hyundai in a heartbeat if someone wanted to trade.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-29-2012, 8:59 PM Reply   
I wouldn't touch some foreign diesel, particularly Korean, especially in a boat.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-29-2012, 9:20 PM Reply   
Cory, I guess you can cross anything Duramax off your list then huh.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-30-2012, 6:12 AM Reply   
Yes Nick, I will only run American made vehicles and drivelines. I confess my truck has a German transmission, but it's junk and I've already shattered the case on one. I'll be upgrading to a NV4500 eventually to get rid of the foreign junk.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       08-30-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Kody-Is that what it cost you? 75,000?
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-30-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
I wouldn't touch some foreign diesel, particularly Korean, especially in a boat.
This sounds like you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P5vGcf-NU
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-30-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
^^ haha
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-30-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
'Merica!
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       08-30-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
hmm ... that's probably why we have so many American car manufacturers offering diesel as an alternative to gas ... was googling for a while as I'm aware that Hyundai is manufacturing engines for a lot longer and have been in the vessel industry almost from the beginning ...

here's a link - pretty interesting read ...

http://www.hyundaiseasall.co.nz/page/News__Media

I'm waiting for Kody to report back as he can compare it against the same boat with the 8.2 engine in it ... I came back from the gas station after filling up my canisters with 30 gallons and the tab was $104 ... and I'm doing this pretty much every week for my Epic 23V with the 8.1
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-30-2012, 3:32 PM Reply   
People always ask about/express demand for diesel wake boats. Seems as though you can order one up from mc (select models ) with a VW turbo diesel.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-30-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
Sounds good to me:
Quote:
The S250 Hyundai SeasAll marine diesel powers the 720 Pro Sport to 37 knots @3800rpm and using just 37.8L/H. At a trolling speed of around 6.5knots @1000rpm, the S250 Hyundai SeasAll consumes 2.5L/H of diesel.

The Hyundai SeasAll S250, is a 3.0L V6 Common Rail diesel and produces 250hp @3800rpm and 490nm of torque @ 2500rpm. .
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-30-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
I had no idea anybody was actually offering it as an option from the factory. Any word on the upgrade price?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-30-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
I believe last year when MC did the diesel option and mentioned the price, it would not pay for itself. Rich people change boats like I change my underwear, once every 3-5 year and buy a new replacement. 3-5 years is not enough time for a $10k-$20k option to pay for itself in fuel savings, thus, nobody in their right mind would buy it. If you're like me and keep vehicles forever, then it would make sense as it would save a fortune over a few decades. That being said, I'd never buy some foreign Volkswagon junk. Put a 7.3 IDI in a wake boat and I'd be all over it though, if the ROI is there.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-30-2012, 8:34 PM Reply   
Well, the price is plainly visible on that Epic and it's only $75k with the diesel in it. Clearly "affordable".
Old     (chicksdigflips)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-30-2012, 9:15 PM Reply   
So we ran the boat for a few hours today on lake lanier in GA.... We filled up and ran pretty weighted. surfed for two hours and wake boarded for two hours. So to help test GPH we filled up before and after to see how many gallons were burnt

after about 4 hrs on the lake
we burned just over 14 gallons

Once I get back to FL I will get all the stats for you guys
TOP SPEED
PLANE TIME WEIGHTED AND UN WEIGHTED
EXACT GPH
VIDEOS
PICS

We will be on Lanier again 2mrow if anyone local wants to come check it out so you can speak from experience feel free to text me and come ride.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-30-2012, 9:29 PM Reply   
That's not too bad! How did it feel? Is the low end torque as good as you expected?
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       08-31-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
and that compared to the Horizon 8.1S which burns about that much in half the time ... Kody by the way - the link for pictures on onlyinboards doesn't work?
Old     (chicksdigflips)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-31-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...wwE&feat=email
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-31-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Are those air vents or something on the transom in between the wetsounds? Don't recognize those speaker grilles.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-31-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Kody, what kind of price did you pay for that diesel and the transmission? ~20k?

Someone mentioned that mastercraft had that option but with a VW TDI. The problem was it was something like a 20k upgrade over the 310hp/350hp 350. Does anybody know what the retail price is for an MCX or similar engine/transmission if someone was just buying one as an individual? I would guess somewhere around 8-10k with the transmission. So basically Mastercraft is/was saying that the VW diesel is a 30k motor. Now if the upgrade to a diesel was in line with actual cost differences and was a 10k upgrade I think they would get some bites.

Also, does anybody know the rule on using farm diesel? Can you use non-road taxed diesel in boats? That would save some money if you had access to it.

Another thing to consider would be resale. It is kind of hard to put a value on it because there aren't really any diesel wakeboats out there. Would a diesel wakeboat have a better or worse resale? I know my dad had a 40 tollycraft that had 440 chryslers. He paid about 40 grand to refit with 315hp Yanmar's. It seemed crazy but he burned abotu half the fuel and when he went to sell the boat it was probably worth 20-30k more then it would of been if powered by gassers.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-31-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
how about this diesel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGlUZg2pC0Q
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-31-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
My concern for resale would be that it's a one off and not something most inland boat mechanics would be familiar with. As antiquated and inefficient as the GM SBC may be, there's something to be said for the fact that you can find most parts locally and that most mechanics are familiar with them.

It's the same as seeing a duramax suburban conversion. At first I think cool! then I wonder whether it's a problem when you take it in for service or repair.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-31-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
Cory D - have you ever left the farm?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-31-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
My concern for resale would be that it's a one off and not something most inland boat mechanics would be familiar with. As antiquated and inefficient as the GM SBC may be, there's something to be said for the fact that you can find most parts locally and that most mechanics are familiar with them.
I'm no Chevy guy, but I would hardly call the SBC antiquated or inefficient. It's a simple and reliable design. It does suffer from poor fuel distribution as a result of the intake design and odd exhaust flow issues from the exhaust port design, but I believe there are newer heads (they use them in Nascar at least) that address those issues.

As for servicing a foreign diesel... Any mechanic worth his salt can service/repair/rebuild any engine. The problem is parts cost and availability. Korea/China/Japan/Europe junk? You'll pay 4x as much and wait days or weeks to get a part that for a Chevy or Ford you could just go to your local auto parts store or marine dealer and get it off the shelf for a negligible price. I've seen that several times with Volvo engines in boats, and I'm sure it'll be even worse with Asian junk.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-31-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
that thing is SICK buddy!! i wish i could get down there to check it out
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-31-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
Murican made! http://www.banksmarine.com/

I think a modern diesel would be great in a loaded wakeboard boat. If you're concerned about smell while surfing I'm sure a FAE would work well or run biodiesel from your favorite restaurant...

Last edited by norcalrider; 08-31-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-31-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
Murican made! http://www.banksmarine.com/

I think a modern diesel would be great in a loaded wakeboard boat. If you're concerned about smell while surfing I'm sure a FAE would work well or run biodiesel from your favorite restaurant...
That looks promising. Wonder how much they are though.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-31-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
You know what looks even more promising? The one that is actually in the boat in this thread and working. No speculation needed, it's in there and running.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       08-31-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
I'll do the math and Kody can correct me where I'm wrong. Epic charges for the base model 23V just around 50K which is equipped with the Mercruiser 350 engine. If you upgrade to the 8.2l Horizon it will set you back another 10K. If I now take Kody's price - this would equal to about 3K more than the fully equipped gas version with the 8.2l. Depending on when the engine was installed (assuming that this was after the bottom and top part of the hull were put together based on the pictures you have on picasa) - the labor cost is likely higher than if it happened right there at Epic. Kody has offered his 2012 anniversary edition for 70K earlier this year - again I would assume that he wants to get some money out of it or at least break even - more than fair. So the cost for buying the engine individually is much higher than getting the volume rebates a boat manufacturer can get but I would assume that Epic could price this likely for less than the 8.2 if they would want to.

check this video - at 4:15 you see the specs ... he's doing about 31 mph with a boat at 3400kg = 7440 lbs ... so that would be about the Epic fully loaded ... maybe I should offer my engine for sale ;-)
Old     (chicksdigflips)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-01-2012, 6:05 AM Reply   
Nicolas yea you are close here is the actual Numbers for 2012
MSRP on a 23v BASE model is $56,227.00
MSRP on 8.2L Upgrade $14,196.00

That doesn't include options
Swivel Board Racks
GPS Smart Tow Cruise Control
Tower Mounted Mirror
Three Outlet Heater with Extendable Tubes
Premium Tight Fit Travel Cover
Audio “Pro Edition”
Interior LED Lighting
Bimini Top
Tower in Brush
Surf Trim Tabs (Pair)
Transhield
Trailer, Dual Axle
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-01-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm no Chevy guy, but I would hardly call the SBC antiquated or inefficient. It's a simple and reliable design. It does suffer from poor fuel distribution as a result of the intake design and odd exhaust flow issues from the exhaust port design, but I believe there are newer heads (they use them in Nascar at least) that address those issues.

As for servicing a foreign diesel... Any mechanic worth his salt can service/repair/rebuild any engine. The problem is parts cost and availability. Korea/China/Japan/Europe junk? You'll pay 4x as much and wait days or weeks to get a part that for a Chevy or Ford you could just go to your local auto parts store or marine dealer and get it off the shelf for a negligible price. I've seen that several times with Volvo engines in boats, and I'm sure it'll be even worse with Asian junk.
The new Gen III chevy's going in boats now are not like the Gen 1s built from the 50s up through 98.
The exhaust port locations are split and more like the big block chevy's. The new 420hp 6 liter I have has, aluminum heads and a coil for each spark plug just like the Corvette, GTO, Camaro engines.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       09-01-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
Still had the 2011 price list I guess ... So base just went up by 6k ... Hmmm ... Anyway - one question I forgot to ask: how is smarttow etc. incorporated with this engine now? What did you loose by not having a mercury engine?
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-05-2012, 11:26 PM Reply   
Nice to see more of them. Mine had a diesel option but I could never find any info about them. I ended up taking out the merc 6.2 and swapping one in myself. Fuel flow went from 8-10gph to 4-6. The only thing I lost was about 6mph off the top end. I never used that anyway.

As far as smell, you can't smell anything. On the other hand, I HATED smelling gas engine exhaust prior to boats with catalytic converters.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2012, 11:57 PM Reply   
In my opinion, the industry will get more into diesel, and if they don't they are foolish. Im honestly very surprised that the G23 didnt get one, that thing (as you all know) is huge and heavy. Turbo diesels are more efficient than gasoline engines, that is an indisputable fact.

The smell? Come on guys, are you saying that you enjoy the smell of your gasoline exhaust? This argument is irrelevant.

Im excited someone has a working boat! maybe this can help get things rolling. I have always wanted to buy a brand new powerstroke and drop it into something
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       09-06-2012, 5:10 AM Reply   
still waiting for Kody to post pictures/vids?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-06-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
The new Gen III chevy's going in boats now are not like the Gen 1s built from the 50s up through 98.
The exhaust port locations are split and more like the big block chevy's. The new 420hp 6 liter I have has, aluminum heads and a coil for each spark plug just like the Corvette, GTO, Camaro engines.
It's just an improved head design, not a major redesign of the engine. No different than swapping A or C heads on a 460, or even SCJ heads with revised valve location. Kinf of like the earlier Vortex heads with an improved (normal) intake port arrangement and a better chamber design. It's just bolt on stuff, and you really aren't changing the basic engine design.

It's bolt on stuff. Coil on plug? Bolt on, you can do that on a 60s SBC if you want, very easily. Really COP is pointless in a boat, you're not turning enough RPM to exceed the capability of a single coil. It just adds unnecessary complexity and expense to what is a fairly low output and low RPM engine.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-06-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
Is it legal to run offroad diesel in a boat?
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
Is it legal to run offroad diesel in a boat?
OEM would not be able to get away with it unless it meets emissions standards in many states but the aftermarket can and has in many other boats. Deere, Cat, Kubota, ect have been retrofitted for marine use.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-06-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
Kody I'd really like to check out your boat and go for a set. Im in Orlando, shoot me a PM if you ever need a 3rd or just want to ride I got gas money too and besides the riding would just really like to check out this engine as I haven't seen a diesel yet.
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-06-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
Yep I use offroad diesel in mine sometimes. No different other than the dye. Legal since it's not on a road.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbeast View Post
Yep I use offroad diesel in mine sometimes. No different other than the dye. Legal since it's not on a road.
I totally whiffed on that one.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-06-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbeast View Post
How much can you save on AG diesel compared to the normal pump?
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-06-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
I think it depends on the state but where I get it in VA it's about 30 cents cheaper. Where I get it in TN, regular diesel is same price as Offroad in VA. The main reason I switched to a diesel engine was biodiesel. But right now I can't keep producing it to run the boat. I'm upgrading my system though. I think I will be too late for this year, but next season I shouldn't have to buy any diesel at all during the summer.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-06-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
Max T, can we get some more info on your swap? I would be interested in what problems you encountered, what brand/model/specs engine you went with, did you change the transmission, etc.. To keep from hijacking this thread you could start another.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
Here in oklahoma it's cheaper because you don't pay road tax. Which I beleive is 30cents a gallon.
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-07-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Max T, can we get some more info on your swap? I would be interested in what problems you encountered, what brand/model/specs engine you went with, did you change the transmission, etc.. To keep from hijacking this thread you could start another.
Hopefully i'm not hijacking this too bad, but, since we're talking about diesel boats...

I will have to start a thread once I got everything finished up. I still need to put an intercooler on and a heat exchanger. Also, last winter I was going to rebuild the engine and repaint it but didn't get a chance so I just ran everything as is this summer.

I used a gm 6.5 since it has the same bellhousing pattern. Also, decent rpm range and not too heavy. Nothing else would fit in my boat anyway. It's a VERY tight fit in places probably 1/8" for the oil pan clearance and about the same up top in a spot. Not sure how familiar you are but the 6.5 gets a lot of bad talk and has problem areas especially depending on the year of the block. However, GEP bought the whole line from GM and still makes them for the H1. They fixed all the design problems that the GM engines had. My plan was to try it out with a used one and then buy a new GEP engine but I don't think I'll do that now.

I bought a truck that had 200k and a broken odometer. Despite concerned friends and relatives, took out my 6.2 mpi with 400 hours on it and swapped them out. This is now my 2nd summer and about 350 hours on the old 6.5; and these last two summers have been my most trouble free summers of all my boating.

The only problem I had was a defective oil line that blew testing it 2nd time out. By the time I caught it, the engine only had 3/4 of a quart. It never lost oil pressure. I figured it still did some damage, but it's still running fine. I cut the oil filter apart and it didn't have metal. Got really lucky. The bilge was quite a mess though.

As far as everything else, the hardest part was the exhaust. I welded a full stainless exhaust with aluminum after the holset turbo. Working with all that stainless was a pretty tedious process and it felt like I was buying argon every other day.

The boat is about 300-400lbs heavier in the back with this engine. I have the fuel and boost at stock until I get the intercooler on. Acceleration performance is the same as the Mercruiser 6.2. Lost about 6mph off the top end due to smaller rpm range. The transmission and v drive are doing fine so far. They are both above their rated torque though. Hope it stays that way as there is no space for 72c.

I'm very happy with the outcome. Cost me about $3500 total to do the swap. Already more than paid for itself in saved fuel.

We ride all the time but never video. I have some iPhone videos but I'll try to get something decent together soon.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
The GEN-III isn't put in boats anymore, as it is all GEN-IV stuff now. GEN-I stuff was put in production vehicles through 2004.

Quote:
It's just an improved head design, not a major redesign of the engine. No different than swapping A or C heads on a 460, or even SCJ heads with revised valve location. Kinf of like the earlier Vortex heads with an improved (normal) intake port arrangement and a better chamber design. It's just bolt on stuff, and you really aren't changing the basic engine design.

It's bolt on stuff. Coil on plug? Bolt on, you can do that on a 60s SBC if you want, very easily. Really COP is pointless in a boat, you're not turning enough RPM to exceed the capability of a single coil. It just adds unnecessary complexity and expense to what is a fairly low output and low RPM engine.
100% incorrect. Though some parts from a GEN-1 and II (LT1/4) are compatible, none of it works with the GEN- III and IV motors. Very different designs from the block to the intake and everything in between. A lot of GEN-III and IV parts are compatible.