Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Maybe I am just out of the loop, but I haven't heard about this electric boat company.

http://allthingsd.com/20120806/elect.../?mod=atdtweet

http://www.facebook.com/PureWC
Old    Boarder 42 (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-06-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Its just a guy that made one boat so far. Hasnt Epic and Nautique already made inboard versions of electric wake/ski boats.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-06-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
I went to their facebook and asked how long a normal charge lasts. He said they are getting 2-3 hours of normal use. He also said if wakeboarding/skiing mostly it would probably only be an hour to an hour and a half. I think that is a lot better then the electric ski nautique. No idea on the electric epic. Didn't Epic have a hybrid boat? Do they have an electric one as well? Also, with a normal 220v charger it would take 11 hours to completely recharge fully discharged batteries or 4.5 hours with a higher output one.
Old    Boarder 42 (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-06-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
http://epicboats.com/p-8298-232se.html

Pure Electric, but looks like an I/O
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
I wonder what the I/O offers the electric set up that a direct or vdrive doesnt. Anyone know?
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-06-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Some of it might just be that there are probably 10 I/O's to every inboard plus inboards are "tow" boats. Towing wakeboarders/skiers/tubers/etc isn't going to be a strength of an electric boat because they will burn through the batteries way quicker. I think they are gearing these towards the average boater who lives on the water. Most can take it out for a coupel hour cruise or some quick tubing then bring it back to their dock and plug it in. It doesn't make any sense at all if you don't live on the water I suppose.

It is funny that he says no one else is doing but like others mentioned Nautique and Epic have both played around with electric boats.
Old    MCXSTAR (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-06-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
with the 205v hull http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791554
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Some of it might just be that there are probably 10 I/O's to every inboard plus inboards are "tow" boats. Towing wakeboarders/skiers/tubers/etc isn't going to be a strength of an electric boat because they will burn through the batteries way quicker. I think they are gearing these towards the average boater who lives on the water. Most can take it out for a coupel hour cruise or some quick tubing then bring it back to their dock and plug it in. It doesn't make any sense at all if you don't live on the water I suppose.

It is funny that he says no one else is doing but like others mentioned Nautique and Epic have both played around with electric boats.
Makes sense. I forget other people in the world want an I/O.
Old    TJ (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-06-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Kinda looks like the new X STAR wake...
Old    Andy Rebele (AndyRebele)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-07-2012, 4:43 PM Reply   
This is Andy from Pure Watercraft. It's true that several boat companies are now producing prototypes/products. In the interview I was telling the story of how I got started on this project, and at the time it began, I searched and found no one else doing a high-performance electric recreational boat. Now, the efforts from Epic and Nautique in particular are noteworthy. There's also a boat by Goldfish sold in Europe that uses a power train from Regen Nautic.

At Pure Watercraft we're building this boat in the most professional way possible. The team that built the prototype included members of the team that built the prototype of one the production electric cars, and we do several things that no one else has done. We actively manage the temperature of our battery pack to make sure that the batteries don't overheat. When a battery overheats, it loses cycle life. (Some Nissan Leaf owners in Phoenix have reported losing 20% battery capacity in the first 1-2 years of ownership.) Since the battery is the most expensive component in an electric boat, that's very important. We also mounted the motor on the top of the outdrive, which eliminates the hull penetration that a normal drive shaft would require. The 210 kW (280 hp) motor is small enough that it fit on top of the outdrive, opening up more useful space in the boat.

I/O makes more sense than inboard for electric because it's about 18% more efficient. We use a dual prop which gives us a few % more efficiency as well. Every 1% loss in efficiency means 1% less range or 1% more battery you have to buy and carry around, so efficiency is the name of the game.
Old    John Arnold (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-07-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
Just curious, why is I/O more efficient than a direct or v drive? Angle of attack? prop placement w.r.t. hydrodynamics?
Old    Andy Rebele (AndyRebele)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-07-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
There is a long presentation of this issue on the Cobalt web site:

http://www.cobaltboats.com/v12/why_c...ght/index.html

It's obviously not an objective source, but in my view a great explanation of the differences. The short answer is the angle of attack.
Old    Detox (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-07-2012, 8:58 PM Reply   
i don't think the woman in the interview could possibly be anymore annoying if she tried. I can't even watch the whole video because she keeps finishing his sentences and interrupting his answers. glad to see someone do this themselves though.
Old    Delta Force (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-07-2012, 9:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAr View Post
Just curious, why is I/O more efficient than a direct or v drive? Angle of attack? prop placement w.r.t. hydrodynamics?
IO is a planing hull, tournament boats are displacement hulls
Old    Pete (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
interesting... I would like to see technology advance but I don't know if the eBoat is the way to go. Why not some type of hydrogen propulsion that uses the hydrogen from the water the boat sits in? Emissions should be almost zero and fuel supply could be limitless? Idk just thinking out loud.... may not work
Old    Phatboypimp (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-08-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
i don't think the woman in the interview could possibly be anymore annoying if she tried. I can't even watch the whole video because she keeps finishing his sentences and interrupting his answers. glad to see someone do this themselves though.
You must not be aware of Kara Swisher - par for the course.
Old    Mik (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-08-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
interesting... I would like to see technology advance but I don't know if the eBoat is the way to go. Why not some type of hydrogen propulsion that uses the hydrogen from the water the boat sits in? Emissions should be almost zero and fuel supply could be limitless? Idk just thinking out loud.... may not work
While they have fuel cells for cars they don't have any water powered fuel cells that I have heard of... Guessing the conversion process is not economical at that scale or it would have been done at this point. There are NG fuel cells that are incredibly clean.
Old    Jack (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Andy,
just fyi, on this site you will get no love for the I/O drive system. If you came up with a way to use your drive system on an "Axius" type of "pod drive" then you may have something of interest for wakeboarders and skiers.
I don't know of the fluid mechanics implications for the larger "pod" drives, but engineering $$ would fix it!

Cool idea and nice execution of the concept, good luck!
Old    Greg Anderson (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-14-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
My boss ordered an Epic 232 Sport Electric in April...custom wrapped to match his new Lambo (I do not kid!) - supposedly he's the only one in the U.S. that's purchased one, and they still haven't delivered it! You could probably buy 2 G23's for what he paid
Attached Images
 
Old    Eric Silva (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
^^^^ I think I'd rather have the G23's and it's fuel tank vs not having this boat all summer lol!
Old    Jared (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       08-15-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Ditto that one! Im not down for an i/o and it seems kinda small for interior space.
Old    Andy Rebele (AndyRebele)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-20-2012, 1:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by miljack View Post
Andy,
just fyi, on this site you will get no love for the I/O drive system. If you came up with a way to use your drive system on an "Axius" type of "pod drive" then you may have something of interest for wakeboarders and skiers.
I don't know of the fluid mechanics implications for the larger "pod" drives, but engineering $$ would fix it!

Cool idea and nice execution of the concept, good luck!
Jack, thanks for cluing me in.

A pod drive would be cool and an elegant solution, but it seems to be used mainly for larger boats than we're targeting.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:22 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us