I usually don't make post like this but I think everyone should be aware of electric shock, even after being around lakes my entire life this is the 1st I have heard of a case like this even though I am sure its happened way too many times. On Cherokee Lake, in TN a 10 year old boy has lost his life way way way too early from electric shock from swimming near house boats at a marina, another boy is on life support from the shock, and a few more rescuers where hospitalized from the shock. This sad story really hit home for me as a father of 2 girls that swim with their friends at our dock all the time. I have heard the shock came from a nearby house boat but am not for sure about this. It has reminded me to keep a close check on our GFI plugs and breakers at and around our dock, and at best I hope it stays in the back of everyones heads to caution swimming around marinas or unknown docks or boats. I can't imagine being in the children's family and having to go through the heart aches and loss.
I don't want this post to become a big debate on this topic, rather just to be a reminder of the unseen dangers our lakes have. Please let all or your boating and lake friends know the dangers that are present. After some research on the topic I have found this to be much worse in fresh water over salt water so that means it effects us the lake and river boaters the most.
Thanks for your time and please keep the families and people involved in your prayers and may God give peace to the parents of the lost child.