Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Alright guys, I have a question. For days on the sand bar we want to be able to link our boats audio wirelessly, but maintain excellent quality. Apple makes a bluetooth device that allows you to link 2 receivers. I have searched and I can't find a bluetooth device that links more than 2 receivers. I have also been looking at FM transmitters. An FM transmitter would definitely be the best setup, but I have never heard a great quality FM transmitter.

I am sure somebody on this forum can lead me in the right direction.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
Here:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...highlight=puck

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...h-airpuck.html

The Air Puck will do the trick.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-22-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
Sit tight on the Airpuck. It's placed on hold still. I'll have some announcements on our first Made in the usa product here in a few months that will address some of this...

Pat - BT is 1 to 1 to 1 to 1. Yes you can link several of them if they RX and TX, but its serial. FM transmitters are single source to multi point. think hub of wheel to spokes of the the wheel. Most of the Apple stuff I've seen requires a network. Send mea link to what your looking at and we can give you some comments.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-22-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
How about 2.4 GHz wireless? People like Channel Vision use it for whole house audio distribution. They promise wide bandwidth, low noise, inaudible delay and up to 300 feet of quality transmission. I have many listening zones powered by three different multi-amplifier stereo systems so I wanted a single ipod, single computer and single satellite radio receiver to be in sync throughout the entire house or tap these sources independently from any zone.
Most small home AC accessories convert to 12 VDC anyway.
Might be worth looking into if you could get all the host and slave boats to invest.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Man, the Air Puck is exactly what I am wanting! Too bad I am really wanting something by July 4th!

The 1 to 1 to 1 is what is messing me up! How can I link Iphone 4's to RX and TX at the same time? We don't mind if we have to buy 4 transmitters to link 4 boats. I don't even know where to start on the FM transmitters. I don't know if they can achieve the same quality you get with Bluetooth and WIFI.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-22-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
This might work.

http://www.amazon.com/Avantalk®-Blue...=I9KXK113KDJN6
Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2012, 4:12 PM Reply   
The Avantalk doesn't actually transmit to more than one device. I went ahead and bought two of them hoping I can wire two of them together to link 3 boats. Hopefully it will work out! Thanks!
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-22-2012, 9:36 PM Reply   
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that avantalk unit is terrible. A friend bought one, and we gave it a shot. The sound quality over bluetooth is horrible. It sounds like the music is playing through a cell phone call. He had a splitter running from his ipod to his aux in and the avantalk unit, which was transmitting to my boat via bluetooth. They lag was completely unacceptable. Like a 1s-2s difference between the audio out of his boat and mine.

I regularly play music from my phone using bluetooth connected to a $20 monoprice receiver, and it sounds great.

Hopefully someone has a good way to link boats wirelessly, but that avantalk unit isn't it.
Old     (jaed)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-22-2012, 9:47 PM Reply   
I purchased one of the Monoprice Bluetooth receivers it works great but I am having to repair it every time it powers up.
Is that the way yours work?
I have a iPhone 4S
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-22-2012, 10:21 PM Reply   
Mine pairs automatically, but I have to tap hit the icon on my phone to reconnect it every time I turn it on. I have all of my audio gear wired to a single switch in the boat that stays on regardless of the key position. I usually leave it on all day, so it's not much of a hassle to me. I pair it once when I turn everything on, and I'm good for the day.
Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-22-2012, 10:47 PM Reply   
ruh oh... Little too late! Guess I will find first hand how well it works!
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-23-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
Hopefully you'll have better luck with it than we did.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
Decade make very good FM transmitters. This one is useful for close proximity and it runs native on 12VDC. Run your sound into it completely separate from your stereo and everyone tunes their radio to whatever frequency you've set. They make really nice 1 watt units but you'd need a big external broadcast antenna and a power inverter to get 110V to them. (And it's pricey)
If you put a better broadcast antenna on your tower you'd broadcast even further with the little transmitter.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-26-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
Just a suggestion - I know you said "Wireless" but to get you through the 4th weekend you could just use wires. We use 3.5 mm plugs (earphone style) and have 1 "Y" and 20' of wire per boat and that seems to work pretty good for us. You can get them at any electronis store. We are usually rafted up or beached close enough to link 4 or more boats together.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-26-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
anyone tried an apple express on a boat yet?
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       06-26-2012, 4:13 PM Reply   
The problem with the AirPort express is your iPhone can only connect to 1 at a time. You can bring a laptop and reach more units simultaneously, but then that's more pieces. Also if you use the AP without Internet connection it blocks your 3G so no streaming pandora, etc that require the access.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-26-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
hmmm well that sucks i was gonna try it. i love it at home. airplay to multiple spots would rock
Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
I ordered a few wireless transmitters and a splitter. If they don't work when they come in we are going to use 3.5 mm audio cords to link the boats.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       06-26-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
Yes, I know. AirPlay at home is good. I have 6 zones and it works great. I just don't want to take my laptop on the lake to run my music. I do have AirPlay on one of my friends yachts, but the network is local only and doesn't connect to the Internet so not being able to stream pandora keeps us from using it very often. We also connect boats with the cables and have the best sound that way. We usually link 3 boats and skip 2 in between. i.e., every other boat. I also have the www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com unit and have used it successfully on a few occasions. It is very sensitive to input volume and music quality to get a decent sounding setup, and the bass is nowhere near as good as cable linkup. It is doable, and we usually break it out when we get the one numnuts that wants to tie up in our group and then try to crank their own music ...

Last edited by volzalum; 06-26-2012 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Edit
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-27-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by volzalum View Post
Yes, I know. AirPlay at home is good. I have 6 zones and it works great. I just don't want to take my laptop on the lake to run my music. I do have AirPlay on one of my friends yachts, but the network is local only and doesn't connect to the Internet so not being able to stream pandora keeps us from using it very often. We also connect boats with the cables and have the best sound that way. We usually link 3 boats and skip 2 in between. i.e., every other boat. I also have the www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com unit and have used it successfully on a few occasions. It is very sensitive to input volume and music quality to get a decent sounding setup, and the bass is nowhere near as good as cable linkup. It is doable, and we usually break it out when we get the one numnuts that wants to tie up in our group and then try to crank their own music ...
I have an Airport Express on my boat and it is by far the best wireless solution for a single boat. I do not have an Internet connection to it but the way I have it configured, my phone still uses the cellular network for the data connection for using Pandora. It is solid and sounds great but if you get a call or you turn the boat off then back on (power cycling the AE), you have to go to the network settings on your phone and select 'Forget this network' then reconnect.

I'm hoping someone comes out with a more purpose built AirPlay device.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
I agree and have been asking for a wireless transmitter /reciever for years. I have some rough plans for a unit that I have passed along to Tim at wet sound but I guess it's low in the Priorty list. The thought of developing a unit that would have a low sales volume doesn't seem to excite many people
And I understand. The thing I think most people miss is Once you have hooked up several systems and everyone is playing its not as loud as you would think. Each system pulls its own weight and you don't have to have one boat Blasting to run the party. Each boat plays at a some what low volume and the sound is spread evenly among the boats. It's a great way to socialize and I can see it as a unit that people with out a large system would buy. I think if Tim got 100 emails saying that they would buy a unit this could go from a idea on paper to a reality
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-27-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
Grant,

Your wait is almost over! Thats all i can say about that. And that someone on here is on the right path

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-27-2012, 3:30 PM Reply   
I guess if I bought some Rev410's we wouldn't need to link to any other boats!.. but until then a wireless transmitter would be greatly appreciated!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-27-2012, 3:47 PM Reply   
That's good to hear!

In the mean time I'd just grab some RCA splitters and run cables from boat to boat. Has worked very well in the crew I hang out with. Never had any issues just good clean sound.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-04-2012, 4:49 AM Reply   
Any updates on a wetsounds wireless solution Tim?
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-23-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Very curious about this too
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
something that worked wireless network would be awesome. no equipment required from boat to boat
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-30-2012, 4:09 PM Reply   
From what I've heard, they will have 2 options in wireless units, and they will be available by the end of the year.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-01-2012, 4:57 AM Reply   
End of the year or mid way through the summer like most of the products seem to truelly be released?