Currently have a 2008 SANTE 210 and thinking of going to a 2006-2011 Star after riding Moye's 2011 at The Boarding School - I love my 210, but the wake behind the Star just really clicked for me, more so than any other wake I've ridden before. Before getting serious about one, had a few questions since I've only be in a Star once.
1. Which Year: Any model years through 2006 - 2011 that I should stay away from?
2. Motor/Prop: Which motor shouId I be looking at in the Star and prop to run with it? My '08 210 has the 343ExCal and Fly High piggyback system - does just fine with the upgraded 1235 Acme 14.5 prop. With the Star, I would like to add the 1100lb sacs to the rear and 400lb sacs upfront (how Moye has his set-up....I'm not good enough to ride that much weight, but would still like to have enough power to haul it if I ever wanted to).
3. Zero Off Upgrade: Do the Stars have the same porpoising issue as the SANTE 210/230's when you put in the Fly High kit? My 210 and friend's 230 need the Zero Off antenna and software upgrade after putting on the bigger 1235 Acme prop and adding Fly High to keep the front from oscillating up and down when riding.
4. Stock X-Star Wake: Everything I've ever read on WW and heard about X-Stars is that they have to be ballasted out to get a wake worth riding (Factory ballast doesnt cut it). At the camp, we rode it with 6 peeps in the boat, 500lbs of lead tucked in the nose, and zero ballast (tanks empty, Fly High empty) - I thought the wake was incredible (bigger than my SANTE 210 with factory ballast and Fly High full - total about 2,500lbs). The wake seemed plenty big and had great pop. Am I missing something or do other people agree that the wake is just fine with stock ballast (I figured we had about 1,500lbs of weight in the boat between 6 people and the 500lbs of lead in the nose). I think factory ballast on a Star is around 1,200lbs, although I could be wrong.
5. Zero Flex Tower: Can the Zero Flex Tower be lowered with just one person and does it fold down low enough to clear a standard 7'1" garage door opening? My 210 has the Titan stainless tower that I can fold down easily by myself and clears my garage door.
I think that's it - appreciate any info/commentary that people can share.