Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-14-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with this board? I am needing a new board for behind the boat, as the one I have is WAY too small (134 CWB Pure). I'm still pretty new to wakeboarding, so it's hard to describe exactly what I am looking for out of a board, but I do know that I need something relatively easy on the knees.

I am 6'0" and about 195 lbs. I am looking at grabbing this board in 143cm.

I am looking to save some money on a purchase, and can get this at a great price.

http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in..._detail&p=5481

Thoughts? Price is a driving factor. If money was a non-issue, I would probably be looking to grab a SlingShot, but I can't spend that much. Again, getting this brand new at a VERY solid price.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-15-2012, 1:47 AM Reply   
It's a hybrid board therefore will have some flex to it. I have 2 set ups, one for boat and one for cable, I use my watson hybrid at the cable park and my LF groove behind the boat.

Reason is I prefer a stiffer board behind the boat as the hybrid tends to flex and bend a little too much for comfort.

It comes down to preference, do u prefer a flexy board or a stiff board? At your height and weight that length board is good.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-15-2012, 4:02 AM Reply   
Well with the popularity of the slingshots, I think that I'd like to give the flex a try. Since I'm still learning, I feel that Im not really tied down to a specific type of feel in my boards. So I'm pretty open to trying different things. I'm also a very experienced snowboarder and always loved how flexible snowboards are.
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-15-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
For behind the boat the Deluxe is going to be too flexible, it will tend to bend to your weight on the wake instead of popping you off. My son rides a Deluxe at the local cable park and loves it. He doesn't however like it behind the boat, he prefers his Watson Classic for behind the boat.

Do you have a local Pro Shop that will let you demo their boards behind the boat?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            05-15-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
I ride my Watson Hybrid behind boat and the whole week I was at the boarding school but also have the classic as well that I'll start turning to.
Old    BenjTrogdon            05-15-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
I ride the LF Deluxe behind the boat and on rails. Dont let anyone tell you its "too flexible" for boat riding. Its stiffer than most boards that flex. When you ride it behind the boat you dont really think about the fact that you are on a "flex board". I can land 900's on my Deluxe. Theres nothing wrong with it. The way it pops is just the same as a traditional board. The landings just feel a heck of a lot better and smoother.

The Deluxe is actually a stiffer version of The Peak. Also, HYBRID has nothing to do with the way a board flexes. The term Hybrid means that the core is blend of a foam and a wood core. Its not a traditional foam board, and its not an all wood board. Its the best of both worlds. Hybrid does not mean flex.

Get the Deluxe dude. You wont have to ride different boards for different types of riding. Ride that board everywhere... Boat, cable, rails, winch
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-15-2012, 8:22 PM Reply   
I'm not worried about it being "Too Flexible" at all ... That is advice that I just can't take especially considering the success of Slingshot's lineup. The guy I was talking to at the shop also warned me not to go too small on a Flex board. I was originally going to pickup a 137 Slighshot Choice (i think that's the model). After some discussion with him, he recommended that if I am going with a flex board, to go 3-4cm larger because they ride small. So that's why I ended up getting a 143 board. This information seems consistent with LF's rider size guidelines. The weight limit on the Deluxe 143 is 210 lbs.

I pulled the trigger on it. Will take it out on Saturday and see how it feels. I am guessing that it will be worlds better than my 2010 CWB Pure 134. I wish I could have demo'd, but truth be told, when you're buying a closeout deal on last year's model board, you don't get those luxuries.

Didn't realize that about the "Hybrid" terming. I thought Hybrid = Flex lineup. In my visual inspection, this board is pretty similar to the Watson Hybrid. The channels are just slightly different/deeper on the Watson. Flexibility might be different as well. The LF Flex definitely seemed like the most traditional flex board that LF has. Flat bottom, very flexible, etc...

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to riding this one. I get the feeling that I am really going to enjoy the flex in the board.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 05-15-2012 at 8:28 PM.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-16-2012, 4:46 AM Reply   
Hybrid was designed to have flex characteristics. Hybrid means that it can be used for both boat and rails but yes it definitely flexes. don't be fooled by benj the 900 master.
Old    BenjTrogdon            05-16-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
^ Haha. Dude you're funny. I can send you a videos of 900's if you want to watch them, but 9's are lame anyways.... Just stating how a flex board doesn't hinder you from technical tricks.

BTW, I am 100% correct about what "Hybrid" means...

Last edited by BenjTrogdon; 05-16-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-16-2012, 7:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjTrogdon View Post
I

The Deluxe is actually a stiffer version of The Peak. Also, HYBRID has nothing to do with the way a board flexes. The term Hybrid means that the core is blend of a foam and a wood core. Its not a traditional foam board, and its not an all wood board. Its the best of both worlds. Hybrid does not mean flex.
If this were a true statement then why the need to build different boards with different technology? Why build the Watson Classic and the Watson Hybrid? Different board have different characteristics and it is unfair to tell someone new to the sport that one board does it all.
Old    BenjTrogdon            05-16-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
http://www.liquidforce.com/wakeboards-tech.html

Read up dude, maybe you'll learn something.

Ive never once said that Hybrids dont flex. They do flex. But the term Hybrid has nothing to do with the flex. Hybrid is talking about the CORE OF THE BOARD.

It's pretty simple.
Old    9Drozd            05-16-2012, 10:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1206 View Post
If this were a true statement then why the need to build different boards with different technology? Why build the Watson Classic and the Watson Hybrid? Different board have different characteristics and it is unfair to tell someone new to the sport that one board does it all.
As far as the 2 versions of the boards go. Yes they are the same shape, however one is designed to have flex characteristics, while the other is designed to be a traditional non flex board.

^^^^^ Hes correct on the hybrid terminology. Hybrid is a blending of traditional foam core boards with new wood core boards.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-17-2012, 5:51 AM Reply   
You guys are arguing semantics. Yes, the hybrid terminology means that they used foam and wood stringers. However, it is also true that all of the Hybrid models are flex boards, so by simple logic, you can assume that when you buy a LF Hybrid, you are buying a flex. It is implied.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-21-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Rode it this weekend. I really enjoyed riding it. Feels worlds better than the old board.

Now I just need to work on my form.
Old    BenjTrogdon            05-21-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
Awesome!
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-22-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
What are the major differences between the deluxe and slingshot boards like the reflex? I can't really find any major differences in the descriptions of the boards. I know though that the deluxe is not seen to much ridden behind the boat while some people swear by slingshots behind the boat. why is that? do they really ride that different? I can't demo, so can someone ease my mind on this?
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-22-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeska89 View Post
What are the major differences between the deluxe and slingshot boards like the reflex? I can't really find any major differences in the descriptions of the boards. I know though that the deluxe is not seen to much ridden behind the boat while some people swear by slingshots behind the boat. why is that? do they really ride that different? I can't demo, so can someone ease my mind on this?
Our local Pro Shop dealer tried to sell me on the new 2012 Slingshots over the LF Watson I was there to buy and he showed my how much stiffer the Slingshots were over the LF Hybrids. I was suprised to see that there was almost no flex in the Slingshots because by apperance they seem thin and looked like thay would hace a lot of flex. The LF Hybrids had much more flex. I bought the Watson.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-22-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Obviously reputation plays a big role. Slingshot is the number 1 brand in Flex boards right now. They have hype, and hype sells.

The LF deluxe hybrid is a pro board ridden by a guy that mostly rides cable.

With all that said, the board was designed to perform bahind the boat as well as the cable park. This is particularly evident when you look at the channels that are on the bottom of the board. The channels help in edging the board toward the wake.

In the end, there is not one specific board that will be any better than one board. It will be up to you as the rider to decide which board suits you best. And you never know, there may be an LF and a Slingshot that BOTH perform equally well for you. You'll never know unless you ride them though.