Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Steven Pederson (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-04-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
As the title says, my current boat is an 82' Mastercraft. Looking for a little more room on board. I'm mostly a skier, but like to board 3-4 times a week.

If you've ridden behind either of these, please chime in. I've skiied behind each, but never boarded behind either with ballast, both look like water over the bow might be an issue.

I would really like to find a Prostar 205, or a Sunsetter LXI, but haven't seen any pop up for sale, the Gekko, and Tige are very reasonable for the years. Debating if i should hold off for a better cross-over, or jump the gun on one of these.
Old    Bill S (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-04-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
That is one big ass mastercraft.
Old    Steven Pederson (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-09-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
anyone?
Old    Bhyatt (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-09-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Personal experience on 2001 Tige 21i = sucked. I would NEVER buy a Gekko due to super small company, no reputation and probably difficult to find parts. Wait it out for a quality Mastercraft 205, Nautique Sport/Super Sport or Malibu Response/Sunsetter with wedge. Be patient and don't waste your time/money.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
Gekko=Losing

Wait for a better boat for sure.
Old    Bill K (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
The 205 is a much better boat. I'd wait it out. Get the word out that your in the market & get your ducks in a row so you can pull the trigger when a boat comes up.

Also, fall is the time to buy if price is a concern. There will be boats available & prices drop quickly come Sept or Oct.
Old    Sippi (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-09-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rx7 View Post
That is one big ass mastercraft.
I just LOL'd when i saw that. 82' mastercraft???? geeeeez! that thing must cost a few million!

but yes i'd throw out the gekko and wait on a 205, or response/sunsetter. are you looking for a walkthrough bow? IMO that's the only way to go. i wouldn't do the crawl over bow again at all!
Old    Steven Pederson (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-09-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
thanks guys, some of these prices on the Tiges and Gekkos really tempt me, but like mentioned above, i think waiting for a Sunsetter LXI, or a 205 is my best bet. I might put a WTB ad on CL, see if that gets any hits. I almost bought a 96 PS 205 last winter for $8500, but missed it by a day. I'll keep looking.

Fully agree, i've been in a few of the walk over the dash to get in the bow boats, not for me, walk through is the only way to go.

and sorry, must have put the ' on the wrong side of 82. Thanks for pointing that out...
Old    Kirk (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-09-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
I have a 21 Tige. I bought it originally for skiing. Flat wake at speed.
Got into boarding, then foiling and couldnt see throwing down 50K+ for a new v drive.
I really like riding behind my boat. With the Taps set and weighted properly, it throws a fairly decent wake. I know it's probably not the biggest and best wake out there, but I really like the shape and size at riding at 70'.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-09-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
I've ridden a 22i which I believe is same hull different deck. It was a good boat. Decent wakeboard wake, decent ski wake, even surfed it with no ballast and just people
Old    Steven Pederson (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-10-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Kirk, what type of weight/distribution do you run? 850 behind the motor, 550 in the bow?.... More?
Old    Bhyatt (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-10-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
I will tell you on my 2001 Tige 21i I ran (2) 550lb launch pads, one on each side of the motor box, one 350lb sack in the bow walkway and a 200lb sac in the rear ski locker. TAPS on 4. Wake size was enough where I learned several inverts and 5's behind it, but it was a very washy wake and extremely sensitive to water conditions and weight shifting. The boat bow was designed way too sloped forward and a jet ski roller would come over the nose if you weren't careful. I ran 22mph at 70ft of rope. The wake was curling over and washed out at 75ft.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-10-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post
I will tell you on my 2001 Tige 21i I ran (2) 550lb launch pads, one on each side of the motor box, one 350lb sack in the bow walkway and a 200lb sac in the rear ski locker. TAPS on 4. Wake size was enough where I learned several inverts and 5's behind it, but it was a very washy wake and extremely sensitive to water conditions and weight shifting. The boat bow was designed way too sloped forward and a jet ski roller would come over the nose if you weren't careful. I ran 22mph at 70ft of rope. The wake was curling over and washed out at 75ft.
22 mph? WOW THAT'S FAST!
Old    Steven Pederson (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-10-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys, (except for the D above). I think i have what i need. I'm going to hold out, i'm fine with my current boat for awhile, i'll keep an eye open though.
Old    Johnny (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-10-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
22 mph? WOW THAT'S FAST!

Why?
Old    Travis (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2012, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
22 mph? WOW THAT'S FAST!
As if the constant pics of the Blue and White Tige weren't enough... He strikes again.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2012, 3:36 AM Reply   
Think about it. How many wakeboardes would be disappointed at only being able to do 5's and a couple of inverts? How many wake boarders would be scared to go faster than 22 mph to clean up the wake at 75'? Let the bashing begin,children will be children.
Old    Bhyatt (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-11-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Think about it. How many wakeboardes would be disappointed at only being able to do 5's and a couple of inverts? How many wake boarders would be scared to go faster than 22 mph to clean up the wake at 75'? Let the bashing begin,children will be children.
How many people would be devastated if you quit posting on this forum?

Last edited by bhyatt_ohp; 05-11-2012 at 7:19 AM. Reason: whoo
Old    Steven Pederson (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-11-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Bhyatt.

Robert T, why you think people care what your oppinion is on the speed they ride at is beyond me.... Because we dont. Please go away.
Old    Kirk (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-11-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
Kirk, what type of weight/distribution do you run? 850 behind the motor, 550 in the bow?.... More?

I don't run a ton of weight in it. I run about 600 in the back and about 200 up front. With the low bow on my boat it really isnt set up for running much weight up there. You really have to be careful or you will take water over the bow. I ride at 25-26mph and I think the wake is pretty good for my riding ability.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
Thanks for the info Bhyatt.

Robert T, why you think people care what your oppinion is on the speed they ride at is beyond me.... Because we dont. Please go away.
What makes you think your opinion or Bhyatt's are the right ones? What pro wakeboarder rides at 22mph? What pro wakeboarder rides at 70' besides Harley Clifford? How many heavily weighted boats have a clean wake at 70' and 22mph? Inquiring minds would like to know!
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2012, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
What makes you think your opinion or Bhyatt's are the right ones? What pro wakeboarder rides at 22mph? What pro wakeboarder rides at 70' besides Harley Clifford? How many heavily weighted boats have a clean wake at 70' and 22mph? Inquiring minds would like to know!
Because every person that wakeboards is on a pro level, right? 8 year old kid, first time up...he should be going 24.5MPH at 80' with 4000lbs of ballast, no excuses, all wakeboards are pros.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Because every person that wakeboards is on a pro level, right? 8 year old kid, first time up...he should be going 24.5MPH at 80' with 4000lbs of ballast, no excuses, all wakeboards are pros.
Bhyatt already stated he had inverts and 5's in his bag of tricks.He also stated the Tige 21i was junk,but was only willing to go 22mph to clean up the wake. Question if he already was able to do several inverts and 5's how much did the Tige hold him back? Is he a pro now after switching to a Malibu?All i'm saying is most wake boarders are willing to go over 22 mph to clean up a heavily ballasted wake. I am in no way saying i'm good at wake boarding.But i do ride at 24.5 mph on a 85' rope when i'm running heavy ballast. I even ride 22.5 at 75' with no weight in the boat.So yes to me 22 is SLOW.
Old    Steven Pederson (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-13-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
Again, please leave, you offer nothing to this thread. This is about a GTO 22, and a 21i, if you have nothing to say about these boats, please go away.

As stated above, you can't load these boats up because of the sloped bows. I've already made up my mind to not pursuit either of these boats.

Thread closed, i wont be coming back.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-14-2012, 3:50 AM Reply   
Well it sounds like were starting to separate the men from the boys!

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:22 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us