Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
Well after living near the lake for 8 years we have finally been able to get a slip at our marina. It's very expensive and difficult to get a slip (long waiting list), but I think it will help us put even more hours on our new X-30, so we are excited.

So to the people who have had their boats in slips for the summer, what advice or tips can you offer? Types of bumpers, methods of tying up, etc... any and all advice is appreciated. This will be the first time we have ever kept a boat outdoors and un-covered so I would like to go to any lengths to protect the boat.

Thanks
Old    - (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-09-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
Learn to love spiders and use BTS to wipe the boat down to cut spider droppings clean in half.
Old    August (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-09-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
put a lift in if you don't' have one.
Old    Ryan Bush (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-09-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
we have two slips now, make sure you don't leave your boat in the slip without a cover on or it will be covered in spider crap... make sure you keep it waxed so it is easier to clean it off with a quick wipedown with something like Babes Boat Bright.

also we have had problems with theft in our area and we make sure we don't leave boards in the rack where they can be easily seen... most of the theives will take stuff off the dock/out of the racks and won't go taking covers off the boats unless they know what's inside. don't advertise
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Good advice about the spiders, thanks. What is BTS?

A lift isn't an option really. My boat would have to be left miles away totally open to the public on our lake and anyone could just wade out to the boat. Not safe at all and I just don't trust the tourists especially on busy weekends.

Good point about theft. I happen to own a security company that specializes in HD security cameras so I've offered to help out the Marina in this aspect. Our Marina is private and you need a keyfob to either launch or even go onto the docks so I think it will be safer since people would have to swim out to the dock (but i will never leave my boards in the boat).
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
Is there a way to tie up so that the boat sits away from the dock and away from the dock at the same time? I just don't like tying up on one side because then you need fenders that are wedged between the boat and the dock. The fenders will cause some rash to the gel unless it is 100% calm all the time in the marina. If there is a way to accomplish the same thing mooring whips do then I would try that. It will be tough to do though unless you have an individual slip with docks on both sides or you can install mooring whips.
Old    - (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-09-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Bow to stern spray.
Old    - (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-09-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
Spring line mooring

http://www.safeboatingcard.com/Manua...Chapter5_9.jsp
Old    Ryan Bush (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-09-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Good advice about the spiders, thanks. What is BTS?

A lift isn't an option really. My boat would have to be left miles away totally open to the public on our lake and anyone could just wade out to the boat. Not safe at all and I just don't trust the tourists especially on busy weekends.

Good point about theft. I happen to own a security company that specializes in HD security cameras so I've offered to help out the Marina in this aspect. Our Marina is private and you need a keyfob to either launch or even go onto the docks so I think it will be safer since people would have to swim out to the dock (but i will never leave my boards in the boat).
Ours is also private, there are 15 Docks and each one is independent, and our marina has 24/7 security onsite. Stuff still comes up missing if you're not careful... just don't advertise and you will be fine!!!

where is your company located?
Old    J D (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-09-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
You're going to wet slip your 2012 X30?

:-(
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
You're going to wet slip your 2012 X30?

:-(
It is a boat, it is meant to be in the water. I don't understand people that trailer their boats. It is 1 million times nicer to be able to leave your boat on a dock, whether it is directly in the water or on a lift.

As for the spring line, that is how you want to tie although you really only need 3 lines. One from teh bow to the dock/cleat slightly forward of your bow, another at the stern ideally even or slightly aft of your boat and then a spring line from the aft forward about half way up the boat. The spring line helps keep the stern in so the boat stays more parallel to the dock as well as prevents it from moving forward. the problem is the boat is still against the dock if you can olny tie to one side which like I said is not ideal. If you have to do that though I would get some covers for the fenders so they have a softer material in contact with the gelcoat then a plastic fender.

Last edited by polarbill; 05-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old    Mike H. (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-09-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
Hey Levi, Do you get a bunch of rain? I recommend pulling your carpet out, make sure your batteries are up (rain=bilge pump running), may want to invest in a solar panel to trickle charge.

When do we get more build pics?
Old    - (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-09-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
A spring line is meant to let the boat move vertical if the water should go up or down. As for wet slipping, nope not me, but to each his own. I've repaired blisters.
Old    Ryan Bush (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-09-2012, 12:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
It is a boat, it is meant to be in the water. I don't understand people that trailer their boats. It is 1 million times nicer to be able to leave your boat on a dock, whether it is directly in the water or on a lift.

As for the spring line, that is how you want to tie although you really only need 3 lines. One from teh bow to the dock/cleat slightly forward of your bow, another at the stern ideally even or slightly aft of your boat and then a spring line from the aft forward about half way up the boat. The spring line helps keep the stern in so the boat stays more parallel to the dock as well as prevents it from moving forward. the problem is the boat is still against the dock if you can olny tie to one side which like I said is not ideal. If you have to do that though I would get some covers for the fenders so they have a softer material in contact with the gelcoat then a plastic fender.
fiberglass absorbs water, which equals blisterin... that's why yachts have barrier paint... don't leave your unbottom painted boat in the water for more than 7-10 days at a time
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbush11 View Post
fiberglass absorbs water, which equals blisterin... that's why yachts have barrier paint... don't leave your unbottom painted boat in the water for more than 7-10 days at a time
You guys are way to paranoid. Put it in the water and enjoy the boat. It is well worth the convience for the potential you get some osmotic(purely cosmetic) blisters on the boat. I grew up with an 84 MC that sat in the water from late march/early april to late octoberish every year for probably 15 years. The boat got pulled out maybe 2 or 3 times a year for cleanign or to go on a trip. The boat did have very small cosmetic blisters but I would never, and I mean never, trade having to deal with the pain of trailing so I wouldn't get the blisters. The blisters affected nothing other then maybe resale slightly. I enjoying spending time on the water. It is a lot better then trailering the boat so you can keep a pristine boat. In a perfect world you could have a lift but sometimes it isn't an option.
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-09-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
When you say "uncovered" I assume you just mean it doesn't have a hard top over it? You should always put a cover on it to keep water out. Also, go buy three nice ropes. One that will reach all the way accross the slip for the front. Put a clip in the middle of it. Tie it so the boat wont go far enough forward to hit the front of the doc, not let it swing side to side. Put the other two at the back and set the length so you can just roll in clip front and loop the rear cleats.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
When you say "uncovered" I assume you just mean it doesn't have a hard top over it? You should always put a cover on it to keep water out. Also, go buy three nice ropes. One that will reach all the way accross the slip for the front. Put a clip in the middle of it. Tie it so the boat wont go far enough forward to hit the front of the doc, not let it swing side to side. Put the other two at the back and set the length so you can just roll in clip front and loop the rear cleats.
That sounds ideal but that is if you have an idividual slip, right? If it is like a lot with 2 boats side by sid per slip it isn't really possible inless there is a pylon between the 2 boats at the rear.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great tips guys. I have to agree that keeping it in the water wasn't my first choice. let me explain why. our 'public" marina which has been in operation for like 40 years just got sold and the new owners want to build 20mil condos on it so they told the town if it's not approved they wont open to the public. The town caved and now their policy for the public is $40/launch. Oh ya, the lock the gates at 9 pm and open at 9 am so it means no early morning rides or evening rides. Total and complete crap and a great example of "politics" at work.

So my new option is to have my boat in the private marina with a private launch or drive 35 minutes each way to another launch or try to use one of the make shift gravel road launches. I actually plan to take the boat out on a weekly basis to clean up and get gas so it won't just be sitting in the water for 6 months but I am kind of worried about it. I guess the plus is it will be very easy to go for a quick ride anytime!

I haven't gotten any more build pics but I'm expecting to have the boat within a couple weeks.
Old    L W (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
And it's a side by side slip, not individual
Old    Mike H. (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-09-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
A couple A7's will keep the other boat off the MC!

https://www.polyformus.com/c-8-a-series.aspx
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-09-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
Ah. Yes. I was referring to individual.
Old    Charles S (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-09-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
yeah man, that's a bummer being next to someone. At our slips which are rented daily, each weekend we camp you NEVER know who is next to you. I've seen people roll in hammered and just pound docks and BOATS. (Not just rednecks on pontoons either. Stupid doesnt discriminate) Then once they get in you have to depend on someone else to properly tie their boat up. It drives me nuts! Keep an eye out and good luck. Other knuckleheads would be my biggest concern....
Old    J D (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-09-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
I've wet slipped for a short time.. It sucked..

There wsa always a scum line. I would take it out and clean it once a week and it wdould be scummy. It was more difficult to detial the boat inside and out - hopefully you have power on your dock as well as portable vacuum, etc.. You'll have to pull it out adn wax it more often as well.

I totally agree with using the boat.. But having it wet slipped sucked for me.. It was always dirtier than I wanted, slightly paranoid about bilge pumps and then worrying about strong winds, etc..

I would make sure you *always* keep bumpers on both sides of the boat. You spent a lot of money on your new rig - so get GOOD bumpers.. I would have bungee lines from dock to cleats and I would pick up some mooring whips too. Might as well do both.. Can't be too safe.. And never trust yourneighbor - protect that side of the boat every time. Keep lots of detailing products in your boat. If you have removable carpet I'd pull it out every time you have HEAVy use.. I'd also use some damp-rid or whatever it is called to keep in the boat since it will constantly be in the water..

Good luck man! Woudl be a kick in the nuts to bottom paint a brand new rig - but so would blisters after a couple summers.

Hope it works out great. Compared to trailering - we used our boat a LOT more when we slipped..
Old    J D (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-09-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
I bougtht a lift after wet slipping for abour 3 weeks.. I'm not against slipping - I just hated wet slipping. For some its fine or their only realistic option.

Enjoy the boat. Its gorgeous.
Old    Brett Yates (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mim3 View Post
A couple A7's will keep the other boat off the MC!

https://www.polyformus.com/c-8-a-series.aspx
The A7's might be slightly overdoing it. Those are 50' yacht type fenders. But those are along the right lines. Some G5's from polyform might be good.

Covers from the same company.
https://www.polyformus.com/c-6-elite-fender-covers.aspx
Old    Mike H. (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-09-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
Brett, of course you understand I was kidding?
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-09-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
You could buy those pads that go all the way along side of the boat.
Old    Mark V (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-09-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
Levi check these out. Might be a good option, I just got a set and the quality is very good.
http://exileaudio.com/store/index.ph...ll-fender.html

Old    - (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-09-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
Bouncy balls will bust if rubbing for some time. Get some Taylor Made Big B's 10"
Old    Dave Gast (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-09-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
That last one just looks like a good old hippity hop from the toy store. Ronix has a new deflatable buoy out now that is soft. U may want to check them out.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:17 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us