Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       03-29-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
I am looking at these two towers, personally I like the look of the vapor tower better, but I like how the MT1 tower can fold up completely. It looks like the Vapor tower has more clearance for my pre existing bimini top unlike the MT1. does anybody have one of these towers, please comment on likes dislikes. It would be going on a 92' searay 18'
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-29-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
I have an Aerial Airborne which is pretty similar to the Big Air Vapor but the Aerial has an extra little dog leg on the rear of the lower sections. Probably both made at the same plant in China with the same slave labor. It's fine. Nothing really to get excited about but no major negatives to report either.

Through an odd turn of events I mocked up an MT1 on my boat but never bolted it down. It was way too small for a 23' boat though. The MT2 would have been more appropriate. Quality seemed good. It was anodized which should keep it nice looking with minimal maintenance.

My Aerial is not anodized and it gets pretty raunchy looking between polishing. Aerial offers anodized towers but not anodized accessories (i.e. speakers, racks, etc). The anodizing gives it a little bit more of a milky look but I wish I would have gotten an anodized one for less maintenance even if the racks and speakers would have looked a little different.
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-29-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Had an MT2 on my 21ft Glastron deck boat. Stock bimini would NOT work with this tower as it was way too tall. Monster has a "bimini" they sell, but it doesn't give you much shade. The tower itself... awesome. Put it thru a lot of abuse, and after 3 years still looked new when we traded this year.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       03-29-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
That is another reason I like the Vapor Tower, it doesnt look to taper in as much as the monster tower, so maybe be able to fit a larger bimini
Old     (waketowerpro)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-26-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
Couple things to keep in mind:

MT1 Tower is only 52 inches tall, so if you do not have a deep boat, you could have a head room issue, especially if mounting speakers.
The benefits of the MT1: super easy to install, collapses very easy, solid tower.

Vapor Tower is 55" tall, so you gain more headroom with the Vapor. The Vapor is simple to collapse. Vapor will most likely not accommodate a factory bimini either. Vapor is a bit more labor intensive to install.
Benefits of Vapor: Easy to collapse, Great Style, Solid Tower, Height of Tower

If you have specific questions, let me know. We install both of these towers all the time.

Chuck McGuire
Waketower Pro
Tower Sales, Installation and Boat Audio
Nationwide Mobile Installation
405.255.7668 • http://www.waketowerpro.com
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-27-2013, 4:35 AM Reply   
i have the vapor tower on my boat.

for the money its hard to beat. a few things though....
- it is rather wide so may need to be cut down at the top to fit narrow boats (it did with my sanger)
- collapsing it is a good 5 minute process so its not an easy job, that said its ok but i often need to tap it with a hammer to get it to slot in
- the bolts go into alloy so are prone to cross threading
- the mounting pieces that go into the tower have small screws with an arrow head, with lose their hold after a while. you need to retighten them often. im going to weld mine

all in all a good tower. wish dropping it down was easier, but its good for the money. id also weld the mounts in places to reduce flex once its all installed. ill be doing that to mine.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-27-2013, 4:37 AM Reply   
sorry the bimini.

bit of a nightmare to fit but we got some custom fittings from towerbiminis.com and got one to work.
Old     (waketowerpro)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-27-2013, 6:24 AM Reply   
^Byron...to solve your issue of the set screws backing out, try putting some red loctite on the threads. This has cured the problem on them getting lose and will save you time and money welding them. It will take you about 15 mins to go around and loctite them. Give it a try!

Chuck McGuire
Waketower Pro
Tower Sales, Installation and Boat Audio
Nationwide Mobile Installation
405.255.7668 • http://www.waketowerpro.com