Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-08-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Good question, I can say after having 3 knee surgeries that I am maybe 65% after a few years. I hope it doesn't affect GSP as much but you point out a very good question, WIll GSP be the same after the surgeries? I guess only time will tell. That being said I would love to see Jones get upset by Machida, pretty sure it won't happen but it would be nice to see. From the way things have gone I would say that Jones will clear out the Light heavies and then Dana will make him go up to Heavy weight and fight guys like Lesnar Dos Santos Cane Kongo and Carwin. Jones won't be throing those guys around like he does in the Light heavy division.

Don't know why I want to see him lose, he seems like a really nice guy, but I sense some huge cockyness below the surface. My 3 favorite fighters of all time GSP Couture & Rampage. I know that was totally rnadom huh
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-08-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
Jones going to HW might just be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's up to the UFC to bring in quality fighters for their champions to face.. not up to the champs to change their natural weight class to suite the UFC.

If you followed JBJ on Twitter or FB.. you'd see what a genuine and nice person he is. I haven't ever noticed one ounce of cockiness in him. He's humble, genuine and extremely likable. I'll take him over "the Dragon" any day.

I am willing to bet that GSP will come back in fighting form after this injury. I follow several UFC fighters on Twitter and FB and NONE are dedicated to the sport like GSP. He eats/breathes/lives the UFC. It's going to take a lot more than a torn ACL to change that.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-10-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
Great night of fights tonight. I thought for a second Machida was gonna knock Jones out but man those arms of his are so freaking long he seems to be able to do things other fighters cant do. When they introdcued Mir and Nog Mir had a reach of 77 or something like that, Jones has 84 I mean the guy is a freak of nature, Anyway good to see Jones get tested a bit. I cant believe Homminick got knocked out so quick, the last time he faught I was really impressed
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-11-2011, 12:01 AM Reply   
The Korean Zombie had one of the fasted knockouts EVER in the UFC tonight. Loved it and should have put money on him as he was a heavy underdog. Everyone in the room was yelling at the TV before Big Nogs shoulder blew out... And then the standing guillotine that was incredibly impressive. Give it to Machida and Big Nog for not tapping but DAMN!!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-11-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Yeah I forgot to say something about the Mir Nog fight good lord that was a Rocky Balboa come back
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-11-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
Oh and Liz by the way, Jones walks around at 225-230 and stands 6'4 He is young and hasn't totally filled out yet. In the next few years it will get increasingly hard for him to make 205 he will be a natural heavy weight. Heck Dos Santos is an inch shorter and walks around at about 240 not much more then Jones he doesn't really cut weight to fight. I guarentee Jones will be fighting at heavy weight within 2 years.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-12-2011, 12:56 AM Reply   
Cutting weight is a science these days, not the sweats in a sauna thing. I think it would be foolish for JBJ to move up a weight class.

And I thought Big Nog blew out his shoulder...

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-12-2011, 8:13 AM Reply   
Yhea great nights of fights, especially for my pocketbook. My boy Mir wins (although he was getting knocked out before that). JBJ once again proves that he is on the path to greatness. TITO is done. I was thinking how has him game changed in the 14.5 years he has been fighting? He looks the same as always. He is in great shape and super tough, but his ground and pound has not worked for like 7 years. My one loss of the night was Hominick. How the hell did that happen. I re-watched it and I think it was stopped a hair short. he had his hands up and legs up. Maybe Herb Dean saw something the cameras did not. Overall good night.

Was anyone else at thunder Valley last night for the Gladiator fights? Couple of my boys from Yuba one and one took the heavyweight belt. So that camp has (2) belts now. Don Fry was there and fighting a big native American guy. Fry got his ass handed to him. Holy shiza he got beat up. He is still in good shape and rocked the guy a couple of times, but the other kid was to big and strong.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-12-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Hominick's hands were up but you can see where his soul left his body just for a moment. His head and eyes rolled back briefly. I think it was a better stoppage than the TJ TUF finale but perhaps Mr Dean should allow these guys to go a little longer.

Jason, how do you find these local shows? I would love to rally some guys and go to one of these.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-12-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
JBJ, from what I've read, walks around at 220 and only cuts 15 pounds. Why on earth would he move up to HW? He's only 24 years old.. I'm sure he has NO problem cutting weight.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-12-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Mik - I have seveal of my boys fiht in them. Check out GladiatorChallenge.com. That is all the fights in Northern cal from Lemore/Fresno to Eureka. It ends up being once or twice a month. Now that they are locked into Thunder Valley, it will likely be every six weeks there. Saturday was 19 fights - about 3 hours I think. Almost every one was one round. There were (5) title fights - (4) of which the belt changed. You can see these guys love to fight. You can walk right up to any of them and meet them. I have met the Diaz brothers, Herb Dean, Don Fry, Dan severn and than a ton of local guys that you can see on HDFIGHTS tv shows. They are all very accessible and passionate about the sport, which is great to see. When one of my guys fight I get first crack at tickets so I'll let you know. They range form $100-45 and every seat is good.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-27-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Been quiet here.

Just read on Sherdog that Donald Cerrone (who fights Nate Diaz Friday) wants to be a professional bull fighter and Wakeboarder by the end of the year. Crazy. He probably has the talent to do so too.

Interested UFC this week. It is on Friday for starters. Overall card feels pretty week to me and I'll probably pass, but here are the main fights

Brock Lesner vs Overeem - Bottom line - Has Brock learned? Is Overeem mentaly ready with all his personal matters going on? For Brock - bull rush the guy into the ground or cage and he wins, Stand and trade - he loses. I think there is so much riding on Brock continuing in the UFC and Overeem's personal matter and potential Cardio issues, will have Brock winning this in the second round.

Jon Fitch vs Johnny Hendricks - Got to believe if Fitch is his old self he grinds a way another decision. The second best boring fighter out there after GSP. I have mad respect for both, but I'll take Spider or JBJ any day of the week.

Donald Cerrone vs Nate Diaz - Fight of the night! Both guys can bang and decent on the ground. I like the Diaz brothers, but Cerrone is the real deal with great cardio and very aggressive.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-27-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
Did you see Nogeria's arm after surgery? Nasty.

How about Faber after his shaved his head for solidarity for his sister? He actually looks more scary without hair.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-27-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
I dig Cerrone's attitude and really like him as a fighter. Urijah is around town so I see him from time to time (came to a buddies engagement party). Pretty cool that he's supporting his sister like that.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-27-2011, 8:33 PM Reply   
Check out the following site for all free sports TV, they usually have like like 5 + links to choose from, haven't missed a fight or game yet.

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-28-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
This is a card I may be seeking out other avenues or friends to watch. $60 for this one is tough to do. I want to see the Cerrone/Diaz fight so I am at least interested. I'll check out firstrow. Are there any others stick working out there. Seems like since the UFC crack down, the streaming has been minimal.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-28-2011, 3:03 PM Reply   
I love watching Diaz fight but why does he have to be suck a dick? http://www.ufc.com/media/141-PREPC-HATFLIP
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-28-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
Diaz thinks he is in a street fight. Not sure that you really want to piss cerrone off. They are both super skilled and fairly equally matched, but cerrone hit hard and throw in some true anger, and not we got a fight.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-28-2011, 9:21 PM Reply   
This one is for Lizzy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GycDU...feature=relmfu
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-29-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
I could seem him getting through the whole division until he meets the bigger guys like Overeem, Mir, Cain and Junior. I think he could figure it out, but if the bigger guys actually hit him, it will likely be lights out. I believe he is the future of the sport and could actually dabble going up and possibly going down. Or he can stay where he is at and wipe out the division for several years like GSP and Anderson. I think he will grow tired of his opposition not challenging him any more - like Anderson had done for awhile.

Really torn on the Lesner fight. Has he learned and will bull rush Overeem? If so, he should win, but why would he keep telling the press that is what he is going to do? I would say tell the press he wants to try to stand with the best.

I can't wait for the Diaz/Cerrone fight. Should be fight of the night and maybe of the year. I have not made my bet yet. My gut says Cerrone, but if this ends up a decision that diaz stockton slaps count for alot of point.

What are you guys thinking?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-29-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
I am really looking forward to these fights. I want Cerrone in the Diaz fight I have never liked the Diaz brothers. On the Brock Overeen fight, I am hoping to see Lesnar and hopefully his training with Pat Berry has helped a little. If Brock can get him down and keep him there I think he can eek out a win. I know Overeem has been training at Extreme Couture that has some of the best wrestlers on the planet. If I were Overeem I would have been practicing my sprawl and take down deffense, if he can avoid the take down then I am thinking its gonna be lights out for Brock.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-30-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
Funny thing I noticed in the pre-fight stuff, not amazing knockouts from Overeem. I always considered him a standup/knockout guy yet everything i see is good s4rikcing, but not legit knockouts. Does not mean it did not happen, just not his standard. Which is good for Brock. I think that Overeem has just not faced anyone as fast and strong as Brock and that will overwhelm it and burn his cardio. That plus the (6) drug test and personal issues with his camp will bring him to this fight unfocused.

I think Diaz/Cerrone is a 3 round decision, jsut who gets the most takedowns. There is no way Diaz should be a +265 in the books. I am taking a Lesner/Diaz parlay for $20 which pays like $150ish. Than I'll bet on the fights separately.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
Diaz Cerrone should have no problem being FOTN.

Alistair vs. Brock is going to go JUST like every single hyped up non-UFC transfplant coming in and getting a stiff test in his debut.. Lesnar is going to put him on his back and maul him.. I am Alistairs #1 fanboy but he's going to get lit up.. He's got a list of excuses a mile long now - his mother his sick, camp started in holland - then to Xtreme Couture, then back to Holland, he's now getting sued by Golden Glory the day before the fight, etc etc etc..

And his attitude has been horrible. "No one can stand with me and my wrestling and jiu jitsu are legit".. Right.. We've heard everyone say this and almost everyone hasn't panned out in the UFC.. CroCop 2.0 - big striker with "enough" ground game for Pride/Dream/SF but not the calibur for UFC which is full of stud wrestlers of a different pedigree..

I hope I'm wrong and he knees Lesnar face down ass up with a knee from the clinch - but odds are against it..

Hoping Cerrone puts the stamp on Diaz and pieces him up on the feet. Both have awesome guard from their back - very active BJJ - but I don't know if it will go there. Too much ego to hit the floor.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Funny thing I noticed in the pre-fight stuff, not amazing knockouts from Overeem. I always considered him a standup/knockout guy yet everything i see is good s4rikcing, but not legit knockouts. .
Keep looking.

Check out his last 3 Dream fights. He almost killed Iron Head Fujita with that knee and he fought some korean judoka and landed one of the most vicious 3 strike combos I've seen in my life - and I've been watching MMA for about 15 years.. Knee from the clinch, right hook, left cross and game over..

Check out what he did to Texeira in the K-1 OWP qualifier.. Those knees were fuggin insane.. He DEFINITELY has hands.

He won the K-1 Open Weight Grand Prix.. That is the cream of the crop of all striking.. He beat Bard Hari in K-1 the first time they fight and a laundry list of "who's who" in K-1 - Aerts, Shiltz, etc.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
Does anyone in here actually train?

I'm a BJJ instructor at an MMA school in Minneapolis - been training mostly no-gi for quite some time but have spent maybe 3 or 4 years total in a gi as well. Trained a bit of Muay Thai, Silat and traditional boxing as well. Never wrestled in school but have trained a lot of wrestling for an MMA setting. 5-1 ammy record LONG before this whole thing became main stream.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE loves some Alistair..

"Holy Crap" lololololol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/crapper2.gif

This is awesome.. Go Overeem

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Turns out - not really Iron Head

Goodnight Badr!

Goodnight, Sweet Prince

He also knocked out Brett Rogers, Todd Duffee and James Thompson in Strikeforce. None of those guys are even CLOSE to Lesnars level though.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-30-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Overeem is huge and looks fantastic. I've been working out for 25 years and I've seen a lot of guys on the sauce, IMO Overeem is on the juice or he is the most gifted physical specimen God ever created. If you look at just a coulple years ago he looked nothing like he does today. On the other hand Lesnar has looked the same for the past 10 years. This is going to be a really interesting fight. Can't wait.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser007 View Post
Overeem is huge and looks fantastic. I've been working out for 25 years and I've seen a lot of guys on the sauce, IMO Overeem is on the juice or he is the most gifted physical specimen God ever created. If you look at just a coulple years ago he looked nothing like he does today. On the other hand Lesnar has looked the same for the past 10 years. This is going to be a really interesting fight. Can't wait.
He does Vlogs where they follow him for the day/week and show his workouts and his diet. Based on what he eats and his "blackleticism" genes - I'd say he's clean. He's been tested MANY times and never pissed hot. And if he WAS taking PED's - they wouldn't be PED's for size and muscle mass - they would be for minimal recovery times and endurance.

He eats a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of horsemeat.. Look up the properties on it.. Makes chicken look weak.. Lots of huge black guys out there that are gifted genetically without putting in the time to their training and diet. The guy is 6'5", has his diet in check and works out 20 times a week.. If he's on PED's - it's recovery based. He used to KILL himself to cut to 205 back in the day.. Lesnar is just insane..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-30-2011, 3:43 PM Reply   
Normally I have my mind made up long before the fights get going. These two fights got me stumped. Overeem and lesner is a big What If. If either guy does what they should than either can win. Overeem is a straight up pimp, but he jsut has never fought anybody of Brock's size and speed. Brock has fight some very hard hitters and ended up in the fetal position but he is a tough SOB, just ask shane crawin.

I don't see either Diaz or Cerrone getting knocked or submitted. I am going decision - cerrone. However I did throw $10 on a draw that was 40 to 1 as it could happen and the re-match would be amazing.

Off to get the kegs refreshed!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-30-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
If Cerrone wanted to fight bulls it would be easy for him. He used to ride them and that helps in knowing where and what to. And with his footwork and speed it would only help in the arena.
I am not the most gifted athlete and I fought bulls for many years....
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-30-2011, 9:27 PM Reply   
And Brock Retires... Smart move on his part

UFC is already a dying sport... Fade.

#Boxing.

Last edited by mjfan23; 12-30-2011 at 9:32 PM.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-31-2011, 12:04 AM Reply   
Wow what a lame night of fights. I don't know what was wrong with Cerrone or maybe Nate is just that good. Ya know I've come to realize Brock was never really an MMA fighter, he was just a big strong Wrestler who won a few fights. I was really let down, honestly, why would Brock try and stand with Overeem? His only chance was to take Overeem down and he didnt really try that hard, at least not a full frontal attack like a GSP or Koscheck type take down which I know Brock is capeable of. Now I hope Dos Santos knocks the crap out of Reem.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-31-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
loved the fights, brock got smashed by the future HW champ, Fitch got KTFO in 12 seconds, I thought i was going to have to watch him dry hump hendricks for 15 minutes, And as much i think the Diaz's are punks I love watching their fights and how they can make fighters look like beginners. Cerrone could not do anything but trip nate a few times.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-01-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfan23 View Post
And Brock Retires... Smart move on his part

UFC is already a dying sport... Fade.

#Boxing.
bwuahahhahah...

well played
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-02-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
I am with Tings - We enjoyed them. What the hell was Brock thinking? Nobody is standing in front of overeem - he Deserved the beating. Cerrone definatley did not look normal, but he stated that Diaz got into his head and was fighting on emotion instead of his game plan. Diaz sure looked good.

So what does Fitch do now? Work on his boring ass game plan or go back to his early days when he was more aggressive.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-02-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
I like Fitch but he is a very boring fighter. The guy he fought evidently is just as good a wreslter if not better then he is so I was really interested in how that fight would play out. Obviously knockouts like that happen, IMP that is the only way GSP loses in the 170lb class. Fitch is still at the top of the game Im just not signing up to watch any of his fights.

Did anyone notice how much hair Dos Santos has lost? When they showed him in the ring after the fight I wasnt even sure who it was until I focused a little harder. Anyway the fight I have been waiting for for a long time is Cane vs Carwin why they havent put that one together is beyond me.

Also do we have any intel on Silva vs Sonnen again? Is that going to happen? That fight makes sense to. So now we have Frankie Efgar dominating in the light weight division GSP in the welter wright Anderson Silva in the middle weight and John Jones in the light heavies. Will Allistar own the heavies or will someone like Cane or Carwin or even Dos Santos knock him off?

FIghts I really want to see

GSP vs Diaz
Cane vs Overeem
A Silva vs Jon jones
Chael Sonne vs GSP
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-02-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
Silva - Sonnen... Sonnen has to get through Bisbing and Silva has to get through ... I think he is still injured or waiting on someone else.

Now I see Sonnen is calling out JBJ since Silva is "scared" to fight him.

They say JDS is already scheduled with Overeem
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-03-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
Sonnen is fighting Munoz - not Bisping. The winner is guarenteed a title shot against Anderson in Rio..

And JDS vs. Overeem will be happening next as well..
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-03-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Jeff is right - Sonnen is already scheduled to fight Munoz. Bisping means nothing to him or Silva.

I love Cerrone.. one of my very favorite fighters. He's looked awesome since joining the UFC from WEC. That fight, though, he looked like a completely different person. I think Jason is right - he late Nate and all of BS talk get into his head and ruin his gameplan. Very disappointing.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-03-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
Yeah it was really odd, I mean honestly have you ever seen anyone get hit in the face as much as Cerrone did? It was like DUDE come on side to side stick and move why in the crap would you just stand right in front of the guy? Very odd fight for Cerrone although on a good note he had some very good leg kicks but obviously not near enough.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-03-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah it was really odd, I mean honestly have you ever seen anyone get hit in the face as much as Cerrone did? It was like DUDE come on side to side stick and move why in the crap would you just stand right in front of the guy? Very odd fight for Cerrone although on a good note he had some very good leg kicks but obviously not near enough.
Yes. Almost anyone who has fought anyone named Diaz in the past 2 years has fought the same way. Everyone "gasses" against the Diaz bros.. It's called getting punched in the face way more times than you're getting used to, way more accurate and way more often..

Would you rather try to shake off 2 or 3 BIG shots from a one hitter quitter? Or get hit 300 times by jabs and straights? I'll take my chances with the big 2-3 shots..

Penn "gassed" against Nick
Cerrone "gassed" against Nate
Gomi "gassed" against Nick AND Nate
I could go on forever

This "gassing" phenomenon is called getting jacked in your mindpiece many more times than you planned to, early and often.

Cerrone got beat up. Cerrone is a NOTORIOUS and self-admitted "slow starter". If you are a slow starter and you get face ****ed starting 3 seconds into the first round - you aint coming back.

Why he didn't take his chances with Diaz on teh floor is beyond me. It's one thing to dive in for a takedown right off the bat - but if you're getting absolutely pieced up on the feet - you should give it a shot on the floor. It's not like Cerrone is a white belt.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-03-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
Wonder what's next for Jones? I'm sure he'll get the winner of Rashad and Davis.. So he'll be fighting Rashad.. I don't think he'll have any problem with Evans.. What's next? He's essentially went THROUGH the entire talent pool. As much of a Hendo nut rider as I am - he doesn't have a prayer. I know that "MMA Math" doesn't work but Jones buzzed right through Shogun and Hendo went 5 rounds to war with him.. Hendo wouldn't have anything for Jones. Styles make fights - and that fight doesn't favor Hendo..

So what's next? Thiago Silva is finally off suspension - but he'll need at LEAST 1-2 "tune up" fights to get rid of ring rust and get back onto to the radar.. And then the reality sets in that Thiago has NOTHING for Jones.. Nothing. And I love Thiago.. So what's in the pipe at 205? No one can convince me that a Gustaffson or something along those lines is going to put up a challenge for him.. Are we going to start recycling guys ala 170 with GSP? See another fight against Shogun or Rampage or PeePee Drinker? Hope not!

They need to bring in some other talent or have someone from HW cut down to LHW.. I'd like to see a Mousasi or a Lawal or hell - even a Hector Lombard just to get some new blood in there..

Andersons time is up. He will retire after his next fight with Chael or Munoz.. So we'll see a new champ at 185 and if I had to guess - the "revolving door" will start for the 185 title.. Chael will be champ for a day, someone will get tired of him talking and then tap him out, then Mr. BJJ will get Ko'ed by Mr. Up and Comer and we'll sit and wait for the next great 185'er to emerge.. my prediction is that Rashad is going to move down to 185 after he loses to Jones and he'll take the belt after a tune up fight at 185.

Jones is gonna be champ for as long as he wants.. His only challenge will be the fact that he's still young and he's SO big for the weight class. As we get older, it's harder to stay light. I think he'll either move up to HW eventually or he'll dominate at 205 for 4-5 more fights and retire and go persue something else.

Who knows what will happen at HW. I think Overeem will beat JDS. But I don't think Overeem has the ground game to hang with the stud wrestlers. SOMEONE will put him on his back and he won't be able to get up. Might be Cain, might be Cormier, might be Barnett.. The HW titlle picture will get fuzzy the next 12-18 moths, imo. Especially with the UFC swallowing up the SF heavies. A Cormier, Bigfoot, Barnett, Rosario could cause some waves.

155.. The revolving door will soon start there as well. it's just TOO deep.. Bendo is going to beat Edgar. Fact. Can Bendo hang on to the title? Doubt it. He's not much of a finisher and not much of a striker. His ground game is absolutely top notch. Insane pace, great sub game and wicked GNP.. But he's far from unbeatable. I always thought Edgar was a "soft" champ anyways. He'll lose to Bendo and then move down to 145 immediately and fight in his proper weight class. I predict hit or miss success with him. But 155 gets so crazy and so dicey. So many guys that could be the next guy on any given night. Youv'e got Guida, Guillard, Miller, Bendo, Edgar and then you have a bunch of fringe guys who could strike at anytime as well.. Will Gil Melendez make it over eventually? I think yes. I say he defends the SF belt ONE more time and then comes over. He can beat anyone on any night but he's not unbeatable by any stretch. He lost to Josh Thomson who is far from a world beater. I think he's benefitted greatly from beating B level talent.

145? Crapshoot. Obviously Aldo is a stud but he's shown some chinks in his armor. Who knows how that will play out. I say he's champ and beats 2 more guys. if a guy like Mendes can't get it done - most guys probably won't. You definitely won't outstrike him, it would take a grappler with good submissions to tap him so we'll see if a TRUE wrestle**** fighter with GNP like Mendes can do it.. After those two - it's a revolving door. Anyone on any given night might get a shot..

Interesting things coming up. Japanese MMA is all but dead. Dream on NYE was meh at best. Aoki match was fun to see and part of me will always hope Fedor gets a win.. I doubt we'll see mroe than 3 shows from Dream this year and nothing from Sengoku has impressed in 2 years now.. What will Bellator do? My guess is nothing but become a home for foreign B level guys (they seem to be LOVING the Brazilians lately) and be a falling space for UFC cast offs. I don't see the UFC stealign ANY of their talent. I'm not sure their top talent is really top talent at all.. Alvarez and Chandler are obviously solid fighters but are they guys who would beat Bendo or Miller or XYZ? Maybe, maybe not. Aoki beat Alvarez and Aoki has had mixed success against top dogs NOT from Japan.. Hector Lombar while exciting is a product of matchmaking - "I'll fight anywhere, anytime! As long as it's someone far past their prime, new to MMA, undersized or oversized".. M'Pumba couldn't even get passed my boy Travis who couldn't hack it in the big leagues in the UFC. There is no hope there for transplants..

Lots of stuff going on in MMA... With the UFC on Fox - we'll see a lot of things. More exposure, possibly more fans, bigger sponsorship paychecks but we'll also see a LOT more injuries (we have been getting plagued lately - but with more shows, more often with more on the line people are going to be going harder) and we're going to see a few good match ups in 2012 and then some serious "what if's"... Brock is done - he was a cash cow for the UFC ratings. GSP is hurt and being replaced by highly UN-marketable Diaz or Condit for the time being.. Jones HAS to be where the realy $$ is and if he can beat JDS - I could see Overeem putting a lot of asses in the seats.

10 years ago I never thought this sport would be where it is now. 5 years ago was the prime of the sport for ME.. When Pride was just wrapping up but still putting on huge fights, UFC was JUST getting really big, Dream was starting, K-1 was huge and functioning and fighters were hungry and weren't prima donna rockstars.. Todays MMA is getting to be too much, too often.. For ME.. Too many PPV's, not enough SOLID free cars, too many "celebs" and the part that is getting tough for me with all of the visibility is that I feel like I know how almsot every fight is going to go. You know EVERYTHING about Fighter A and Fighter B. From their hometown to to their background to their team to their training camp to their fight history. No other sport in the world has the kind of exposure to history that MMA has. Every fight is on the net, pros train with joes so joes leak camp tips/info, etc.. Everyone knows everyting. Until the pros start to get more "Secretive" about what's going on - it's become predictable.. Well.. Predictable enough to not be AS excited but certainly not enough to make good money betting.

And lastly - does anyone train? I asked that above but got no response. Either no one trains or no one read that. If so - what do you do and where? How long? Have you fought? Will you fight?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-03-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
I guess that is true. The Diaz brothers have that strange yet effective sytle of hitting you with these soft jabs that seem to land near every time. The crazy think is they also have amazing BJJ on the ground so that makes them even more dangerous. Great fighters but have never liked them
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-03-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
I guess that is true. The Diaz brothers have that strange yet effective sytle of hitting you with these soft jabs that seem to land near every time. The crazy think is they also have amazing BJJ on the ground so that makes them even more dangerous. Great fighters but have never liked them
Im' tired of their "schtick" too but they are great fighters.

I think Nick Diaz will have MAJOR problems when he starts facing the tough wrestlers of the division.. that's what happened his first go round in the UFC. He was looking good until he fougth some guys who put him on his back. His BJJ is fantastic but a strong top game wrestler is hard for ANYONE to deal with.

I think a Fitch or a GSP puts him on his back and keeps him there. Nate is a bit more creative with his guard and has size on his side - even when fighting from teh bottom. I think if Nate fights a Bendo or Maynard, etc with a strong top wrestling game - he'll have the same problems.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-13-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
Anthony Johnson moves to MW from WW and still comes in today weighing in 11 pounds over. What the!??!

He is being weighed again tomorrow at 2pm and cannot weigh more than 205 or the fight is cancelled. WOW.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
Guaranteed Dana is steaming mad about "Rumble" - That is some nonsense.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-13-2012, 10:58 PM Reply   
R u serious? He fights at 170 and makes weigh all the time and now 15 lbs hevier he cant make weight? Thats just freaking lame and puts Vitor at a weight dissadvantage. I like Rumble but I would like to see Belfort knock him out in the first round
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-15-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
pretty good night of fights. A couple of great knockouts and good subs. I love belfort, great to see him get the win in Rio. Barboza could have the knockout of the year locked up already.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-15-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post

I'm a BJJ instructor at an MMA school in Minneapolis - been training mostly no-gi for quite some time but have spent maybe 3 or 4 years total in a gi as well. Trained a bit of Muay Thai, Silat and traditional boxing as well. Never wrestled in school but have trained a lot of wrestling for an MMA setting. 5-1 ammy record LONG before this whole thing became main stream.
Yup
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-15-2012, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:

YupBoxed back in high school,some Kempo til I saw UFC 2.Been doing BJJ off and on since then.Currently go to a gi bjj school,seriously considering going back to an mma pure no gi school,but at 47,I wanna be able to hang.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-16-2012, 8:26 AM Reply   
Dan, Anthony Johnson had trouble making weight at WW constantly. This isn't new for him. I find it funny that he still comes in 10+ pounds overweight though, even after going up in weight class to avoid this problem. Idiot. I'll bet money he gets cut by the end of the week.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-16-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
Rumble loses and gets cut all in one day. Damn a great talent lost by preparations. Good night of fights, but lots coming up in the next month that should be good. Cruz and Aldo appear to be Alpha Male's nemesis.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-16-2012, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think Aldo is everyone's nemesis. He's ridiculous.

I'm so excited for Cruz and Faber to coach TUF. SO excited!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-16-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
I've never thought Anthony Johnson was NEARLY as talented as fans talked that he was.. His biggest win was Dan Hardy fresh off a 3 fight losing streak and he's crumpled and got beat every time he's faced any true talent. You can't be legit after winning over Yoshida and Kevin Burns.

I'm glad to see him gone. Professinoal athletes have no excuse to miss weight once - much less 3 times. And he actually missed weight 5 times - it's jus that 2 of those times he was able to cut the necessary weight with the extra hour.

Good riddance.

Anyone notice ALL of the Brazilians won their fights??? (say what you want about Erick Silva)..
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-16-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
Anybody notice like the next 5 weeks straight are UFC fights and 2 or 3 are free including Friday's. Going to be a packed few weeks.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-18-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
WAR SONNEN!!!!

Bisping will be totally outclassed.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-18-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
I am so much more excited about Sonnen beating the sh** out of Bisping instead of Munoz.

I may have to start following Bisping on Twitter, just to see what he's going to say.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-18-2012, 3:50 PM Reply   
It would have been so much more entertaining if we had like 2-3 months of the Sonnen-Bisbing crap talking battle. Unlike Miller, Sonnen can throw down some serious BS. Let the expletives fly between them. When I think of the possibility of Bisbing fighting Anderson, I think of a seriously fast and boring fight. Bisbing is a extremely talented #7 guy, but a TON from every standing in the ring with Anderson in terms of talent. Heck I have a hard time seeing that he is even being thrown at this fight. I am not saying he can't win- Hell Sonnen has been out for what like 12-14 months . Luckily for him he has such great wrestling, he can bury Bisbing there. Although I am looking at Maia being rated at #6 and I can just remember his losses. Either Bisibing or him could not stand one round with Anderson. Guess it will not matter for another 8-12 months, but still. I could see Anderson taking one more fight - Against Sonnen to put and end to Sonnen's mouth for good with a broken arm, jaw, or leg. He could end his legacy there.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-18-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
http://mmainterviews.tv/
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-19-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
I agree with Buffalow in that the only thing that bums me out the Sonnen vs. Bisping is that we have been jipped out of a few months of some of the most epic trash talk in combat sports....even better than some of Ali's gems. IMO, Bisping's gonna get smashed and we get to hear Sonnen talk about Brazil until mid summer. I hope he watches TUF Brazil, cause he's gonna have all kinds of stuff to say about Wand and Vitor.

Kind of flying under the radar here is the fact that Weidman is taking a huge step up in competition. I've been watching him since his debut and really like the guy. I'm pretty interested to see how he matches up with Maia.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
So on MMA weekly here are the results for pound for pound best fighters in the world

1. Jon Jones
2. Anderson Silva
3. Georges St. Pierre
4. Jose Aldo
5. Dan Henderson
6. Frankie Edgar
7. Nick Diaz
8. Junior Dos Santos
9. Dominick Cruz
10. Jake Shields

Ok I know John Jones is stomping people but the guy is only 24. Fedor isnt even on the list.. I mean I know jones belongs on the list but number 1? If Fedor would have not lost his last couple fights he would have been number 1, now he isnt even on the list. The point is Fedor has been fighting for 12 years Jones only a few years. You need to stand the test of time to be on this list. And what the heck is Jake Shilds doing on it? His last couple fights he looked terrible

Here would be my top 3 and in the correct order at this point in time

1. Anderson Silva
2.GSP
3. Jon Jones
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-19-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
Yhea JJ #3 in my books too. That is some bull. Aldo #4 for sure than you have to have Frankie #5 or 6
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-19-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
The top three should be exactly as Dan posted above. Silva, GSP, JBJ, then Aldo. That MMA Weekly list is ridiculous. Henderson is too high up as is Nick Diaz. I would also drop Shields off the top 10.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-19-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
That list is all kinds of stupid.....I agree with Buffalow except Edgar - who I personally feel is a talentless dbag. I have no reason to feel that way but I do. I can't stand the guy - he is like a nerdy diaz brother. lol
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-20-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
Here is the thing about Edgar. He is micro for that division. There is no reason he should be champ _ BUT HE IS! So for that reason and the fact he has overcome some bad situations, he is deserving. He has a solid record against top guys. His boxing is very good and the rest is good enough. The minute he loses he drops down though. The problem he has there is that Aldo. Plus the handfull of Alpha male guys that will ruin him.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Wow - Nobody talked about last weekend's UFC 2 on Fox? Kind of crazy - there is finally a ton of free MMA and nobody is talking about it. Ok, that weekend it out and this weekend is coming. The title fight is a huge fights for the welterweights.

Diaz-Condit - GSP has been uncharacteristically begging for Diaz to win. GSP never says boo to the news, but now comes out many times vocally says he wants to fight Diaz and hurt him, not just win. Some might say that maybe Diaz has gotten into GSP head, but I say you have woken up the fire in GSP's belly that got him to the top. Not a good place to be. On to this fight. I see Diaz winning because it is good for the UFC (See bisibing losing to Sonnen last weekend and scoring completely wrong). Condit is a very well rounded and qualified fighter. I normally would pick him based on his experience and his mind in the ring. In the end, Diaz takes the interim and will fight GSP late Summer. Diaz just pushes the pace and eventually gets him. Diaz by TKO.

Werdum-Nelson - Not sure that I give a damn about this fight although it could be very entertaining. We know Nelson is a tough SOB, but Werdum's total package is very complete. I have him as top 4-5 in Heavyweights. I think in the end he takes it to the ground and submits Nelson. I know Nelson's ground game is good, but it has been a long time since it was tested. After Werdum wins, he will likely fight Mir which is great matchup. Werdum by submission or decision.

Koscheck-Pierce - We see Kos back in the ring after eye busting ass-whopping that GSP gave him. On paper - these are the same two fighters. Heck there records are very similar. As much as I like watching pierce, I think Koscheck is just a little better and more experienced. Considering Josh went though the division quickly before getting to GSP, I still hold him in top 4-5 in division and considering those on top, may be stuck in that positions. Winner will likely fight winner or ellenbeger/sanchez. Koscheck by Submission or decision.

Barao-Jorgensen - Fight of the Night Candidate. Wow Barao comes in 29-1-1. I normally would take Jorgensen without even looking at who he is fighting, but with that kind of a record, I had to research a bit more. I see this as a legit ground battle where either guy can win. I think they x each other on the ground and end up on the feet where Jorg pops him.They are 7-8 in the division, so winner will likey get Mighty mouse or Bowles. Maybe even with Torres now that he is back. Probably going to stand by Jorg by knockout.

There are a bunch of other cards with known name guys, but running out of time to cover those.

Good luck and let's see some head crack'n.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-01-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
Main card on UFC on Fox 2 sucked and the undercard was banaanas.. One fight finished with a reverse calf crush and another with a twister.. Main card was a snooze fest as expected...

Condit wins, Werdum wins, Kos wins, Barao wins..
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-01-2012, 1:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
I think Nick Diaz will have MAJOR problems when he starts facing the tough wrestlers of the division.. that's what happened his first go round in the UFC. He was looking good until he fougth some guys who put him on his back. His BJJ is fantastic but a strong top game wrestler is hard for ANYONE to deal with.
I disagree. Diaz is more dynamic than given credit. I don't think wrestlers want to risk going to the ground with him.

FOX 2 was lame. I think they make Rogan do his commentary sober and it just seemed like he phoned it in. The main fights were also lacking.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-01-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
I disagree. Diaz is more dynamic than given credit. I don't think wrestlers want to risk going to the ground with him.

FOX 2 was lame. I think they make Rogan do his commentary sober and it just seemed like he phoned it in. The main fights were also lacking.
Screen name "Norcal Rider"

Your opinion of Diaz is invalid. You're a homer.. His wrestling - offense and defense - is atrocious. GSP is a 1 stripe black belt in BJJ and has competed globally - including ADCC.. He's not scared to play in Diaz' guard.

We're not talking about Scott Smith and KJ Noons anymore.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-01-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
Tell that to BJ Penn who couldn't keep Diaz on the ground. If you want to claim that BJ can't grapple I doubt there will be many allies for you in that argument.

I'm not a Diaz fan. I just think that he's been underrated as a fighter and it's comments about his wrestling that show that. Taking him to the ground is a gamble and his BJJ is legit.

I didn't make some sweeping statement, like he's the most dominant fighter in the division. Just that it is a risk to grapple with him. No reason to be so dismissive.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-02-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
Tell that to BJ Penn who couldn't keep Diaz on the ground. If you want to claim that BJ can't grapple I doubt there will be many allies for you in that argument.

I'm not a Diaz fan. I just think that he's been underrated as a fighter and it's comments about his wrestling that show that. Taking him to the ground is a gamble and his BJJ is legit.

I didn't make some sweeping statement, like he's the most dominant fighter in the division. Just that it is a risk to grapple with him. No reason to be so dismissive.
I've spent some time at BJ's academy in Hilo and I've taken a few seminars from him. His ground game is absolutely phenomenal (pun intended) - but you are changing the argument. BJ Penn is NOT a wrestler, he's not a GNP specialist and he doesn't work from the top on the floor often.. Apples to oranges..

Remember GSP vs. Penn? GSP put him on his back and kept him there for 4 rounds.. Same thing he'll do to Diaz..

And I'm not trying to be dismissive - I was just ribbin ya because you're from NorCal so I figured you were a Diaz ballbag rider.. I love me some Diaz brotehrs - those guys bring it, come to war, will take 2 to give 1 and have SICK jiu jitsu... My comment was simply that the level of wrestling in the UFC is significantly, significantly higher than it was in Strikeforce - especially at 170 where Nick is fighting.. GSP, Koscheck, Shields, Hendrickson, Sanchez, Fitch, Ellenberger - all high, high level wrestlers with strong top games.

Scott Smith, Paul Daley, KJ Noons, Cyborg evangelista - none of those hold a candle to the UFC 170's in the wrestling department.

Condit will stand and bang with Diaz and mix it up on the floor - but you'll see an entirely different fight when (if) he fights GSP.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
I am not sure that Norcal was talking about Diaz and Condit with condit being afraid of Diaz's guard? There is no way in hell GSP is worried about Diaz's guard.

I love me some Diaz brothers (inside the cage) like the next guy, but no matter what either guy is a long way away from a healthy GSP.

Speaking of that - After the Sonnen (ufc pays refs cough cough) very lack luster win over bisbing, is there any chance in hell this will be an interesting fight with Anderson. I think this time Anderson will smash him. Chael has gotten under his skin and now it's personal.

Same goes with GSP and Diaz. No matter who wins, when GSp is healthy - it's over for spot #2.

Than what about Rashad and Phil. I can't even envision either guy in their with JBJ. I know Rashad has the best chance, but really? He just looked slow and weak compared to Jones. Pretty sad state in these divisions with the 2-3 guys performing the way they did.

There is no way that Diaz does not win this fight. Not cause he is the better fighter, but because Everybody including Dana want GSP/Diaz. Nobody is going to care about GSP/Condit at this point. I am not saying the thing is rigged, but after watching last week, all it takes in one judge going the wrong way, to change the line to Diaz's side. When was the last time we saw a true upset in the top 5-7 guys? I am sure it has happened, but does not come to mind. The hierarchy is set, and it will play out.

JEff- That is sick you trained a little with Bj. I hear him and his brother are something to watch on the ground (like before Bj learned to use his hands).

it has been a long time since I saw a night of fihts where the betting lines are in line and realistic (as opposed to a JBJ -950 or GSP -1200). So based on Vegas this should be a bunch of close fights.

Nick Diaz is slightly favored in the books right now -200/+170
Werdum -150/+130
Koscheck -230/+190
Bararo - 230/+190
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
I live in Sacramento and I f'ing HATE the Diaz brothers. That being said.. Diaz did look fantastic against BJ Penn. However, had they fought five years ago.. I expect the outcome would have been different. BJ is well past his prime and beating him doesn't hold a tremendous amount of weight to me.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
I am with you on that Liz. I know they always say it is a lack of motivation for BJ, but not sure what it really is. He was/is an amazing talented fighter with incredible ground game that learned how to box. What more did you need for motivation to fight the top 5 in the world and make millions of dollars? Than when you have Diaz talking smack about you non stop - those are all reasons to be prepared. Although there have been plenty of high end fighters that have fallen to the Diaz brother (see Donald Cerrone) who say they just felt overwhelmed with the constant jabs/slaps and insistent pressure.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-02-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Also in Sac, so in general not a fan of the 209. Though when people from out of state hate on it I have to remind them at least Stockton has an In-and-Out and access to some amazing waterways, elevating that town over most in my mind.

I digress. I think a BJJ tactician can cause a lot of problems for wrestlers and fully agree about the higher level of talent in the UFC. I do think Diaz will try to keep things on his feet against Condit and GSP. I look forward to the Condit/Diaz fight.

That being said, Diaz will try to kill GSP whereas I do not think GSP has that instinct anymore. He's fighting for decisions these days and as a fan I don't really like that.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-02-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Nick Diaz and his complaints about money gets to me. The man is one of the best paid fighters out there: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...-money-in-2011
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-02-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
100% agree w/Mik. Diaz has way more of a fighters instict then GSP, I don't think GSP has the natural will to risk losing so he can beat up Diaz. In order for GSP to beat Diaz he will have to put himself in harms way and I just don't think he is willing to do that. That said i think the Condit fight is a much greater risk for Diaz, Condit is a finisher and he can take a beating to win, I think both these guys are better fighters then GSP. Although I want Diaz to win I would be happy to see either of these guys hold the belt they both deserve it.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
The difference this time is GSP is pissed at Diaz. This is the first time he has ever said anything. Even with all the crap Koscheck talked, it was never personal for GSP. This fight will be. He has spent the last month fighting with his mouth. He will have had 1-1.25 years off and be ready to make a statement. he said the other night that he does not consider himself the champ because he can not defend his title right now. So as far as he is concerned he is back to climbing to the top. He also commented that to knock spider and JBJ out of the top two for Pound for Pound, he has to finish fights and not just win. He is looking to use this Diaz fight to make that statement. It may just be talk, but when has GSP ever said boo.