Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-19-2011, 8:13 AM Reply   
Hey y'all,

Yesterday, I was talking about grabs with a fellow rider. When I told him that my favorite grab was roast beef, he said he thought it was a cool grab but you're not "supposed" to do it. He cited Alliance. It sounded like he was saying that the wakeboarding illuminati had declared the roast beef grab uncool.

Has anyone else heard this? What's so uncool about it?

Obviously, this isn't going to change the way I ride. I start every contest pass with a roast beef and I usually throw in at least 1 or 2 per set when I'm freeriding. I just love doing them, so screw what anybody else thinks. I'm just curious!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-19-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
A lot of people have opinions on which grabs are legitimate, and illegitimate. A lot of it came from skateboarding where you are only able to grab in a limited number of places due to the small board and your feet being in the way. Personally, I really don't care about what other people consider to be a legit grab, especially when it's coming from other board sports. Nuclear? I love it!

Instead I care more about what looks good. I personally think the Roastbeef grab is unattractive, but some riders can make it look good. If you're one of those riders, then rock it. But if it looks funky, then let it go.
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-19-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
Ricky G used to throw down with roast beef grabs. As long as you're not grabbing "tindy" I say run it.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-19-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Haha what's wrong with tindy?
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-19-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
I like roast beef grabs. I say do what you like and don't worry about anything else. I used to have some good picks of me busting out some roast beefs, but I don't know where they are at. If I can find them I'll post one.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
Alliance just finds things to whine and complain about, and justify it by saying it's for the betterment of the sport. It could be the best day in their life, and they'll write an article on how bad things used to be, all while patting themselves on the back. They'll convince readers that they should change, or else they're sheeple, when in reality they bank on the sheeple just following their lead. Grab what you want, where you want, anyone that cares is just insecure with themselves. Listening to Alliance will only make you an angry rider.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-19-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
its grabbed - its legit IMO.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
i'm down with the beef.
Name:  beef11.JPG
Views: 2904
Size:  104.7 KB
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-19-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
I dunno. I don't really like it. You can't tweak it and 90% of the time I think it just looks awkward. I'm down with nuclears. They make G spots and whirlys look sick but roast beef doesn't do it for me.
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
I tweak the beef!

Last edited by richmondrider; 08-19-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: .
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-19-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Let's all throw down some beefs this weekend and post the pics up on Monday.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-19-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
I think the idea is that they are lazy grabs. I must say a tail, indy grab or stalefish grab look a lot better than a tindy or roast beef. I used to do a slob 3 and now focus on doing it with a nose or mute grab. My personal rule is between the feet or nose/tail. It's all about how you want your riding to look and the alternatives IMO just look lazy.
Old    mojo            08-19-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
Can't poke it? Really? It's just like a stale fish poke. I'll agree if it's not tindy have fun. IMO, slob is way better than nose.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
is riding even fun anymore if you're so concerned over what grab looks lazy, and hint to others that there are proper/improper grabs? Grab what you want, and I'll do the same.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-19-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
One more vote for the 'as long as you don't grab Tindy' rule. this is a big no-no in all board sports.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-19-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
I'm with stephan. I like to grab in between the bindings, or nose and tail. Do what you want, but I prefer to watch riders who grab the same way I try to.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-19-2011, 6:13 PM Reply   
Wow, I never realized people were so worried about what others might think of their riding. Don't get me wrong, style is important, but this all seems pretty laughable to me
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-19-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
Just turn your hand around to make it a chicken salad, they're easy to poke too....
Attached Images

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-19-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
if you dont like roast beef then there is something wrong with you
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2011, 11:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Alliance just finds things to whine and complain about, and justify it by saying it's for the betterment of the sport. It could be the best day in their life, and they'll write an article on how bad things used to be, all while patting themselves on the back. They'll convince readers that they should change, or else they're sheeple, when in reality they bank on the sheeple just following their lead. Grab what you want, where you want, anyone that cares is just insecure with themselves. Listening to Alliance will only make you an angry rider.
AMEN! Go to the lake and have fun doing what you want. Despite what Alliance has been saying since starting, no amount of Alliance's version of "legit" riding is ever going to make the surf/snow/skate community think wakeboarding is cool.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-20-2011, 1:04 AM Reply   
The best grab ever is the one YOU like to do. I ride because I love to ride not because its "cool". If you feel like throwing it get on it!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-20-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
NOTHING!!!!!!!!! I love them and do a few a set, blast them big, tweak them like a Indy Poke, Land them Blind, sometimes take them to frontside 180. Super fun! My boy Colin Ryan Usually starts ever set with a giant Drifted Roastbeef to Switch!

This one I think I took to blind!
Attached Images

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-20-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Andy and Travis I take it back. Those look doooorty! Gonna have to try them again next time I'm out
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-20-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
deegan,

Man you can tweak the hell out of them!!!!
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-21-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
Here is a nice video of Colin doing his Roast Beef Grab:
http://ryantaylorvisual.tumblr.com/p...mornings-shoot
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-22-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Roast beef used to be my fav a couple of years ago, but I'm not really sure why i stopped doing them. +1 for Chicken salads! (-1 for the name). I would argue that its not becasue they are "lazy" grabs, but more "gimmicky" grabs. anything where you contort your arms/hands to grab a slightly different location can be seen as a gimmick if you are trying to pass off the notion that roast beefs are harder than indys because you grab the backside edge (note: i do not take this position nor has anyone on this thread, i'm just saying...)

Also, grabs look the best (imo) when there is more differenciating features other than hand placement i.e. tweaks, pokes, whatever, rather than just sucking up your knees and touching different edges of your board with no other variation. Bottom line, make the raost beef look unique and keep throwing it.

PS, what is all the hate on Alliance for? What did they do to you to make you so salty? Personally I love it becasue I would rather read about a cross country trip taken by a group of riders than contest results, for example.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-22-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
It is a great magazine, but it can be a little "Kool Kids Klub" sometimes.

I think it is important to report the current state and trends of the sport, but the "It list" makes my stomach turn every year. No one has needed to guide the sport in the "right" direction since the late nineties. I think the sport is mature enough that it will do what it does.

All that said, I check alliancewake.com almost every day and the magazine is alway by the crapper at my house. I have long forgiven their Editor in Chief for wearing gloves for a whole decade only to bash anyone wearing gloves the next...Oh yeah, I went there. :-)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-22-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
Now that I think about it i always do a chicken salad not a roastbeef. But how cares your grabbing with the same hand in the same place.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       08-23-2011, 5:55 AM Reply   
The reason I dont like it is because of the INT league, you get a few more points for a roast beef grab than other grabs so everybody in intermediate does a junky looking roast beef grab for an extra few points. None of them ever look good.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-23-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
I dunno. I don't really like it. You can't tweak it and 90% of the time I think it just looks awkward. I'm down with nuclears. They make G spots and whirlys look sick but roast beef doesn't do it for me.
Maybe YOU can't tweak/poke it but it's one of my favorites... Backside shifty poked roast beef...
Attached Images

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-23-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
... and a tindy for all the rest of the haters...
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-23-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
That' a hot Tindy!

I am trying to find an old school roastbeef. Back in the day, when Shapiro was still riding a directional board people used to do Roastbeef where they would kick the board up infront of them and grab. Really from the boat all your saw what the bottom of the board, a hand on it, and the riders a$$. Man I used to do those all the time on my H.O. PRO!!! The good old days. I bet only a hand ful of people on here will have any idea what I am talking about. I am going to go hit some sick rope smacking roastbeef tonight!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-23-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
That' a hot Tindy!

I am trying to find an old school roastbeef. Back in the day, when Shapiro was still riding a directional board people used to do Roastbeef where they would kick the board up infront of them and grab. Really from the boat all your saw what the bottom of the board, a hand on it, and the riders a$$. Man I used to do those all the time on my H.O. PRO!!! The good old days. I bet only a hand ful of people on here will have any idea what I am talking about. I am going to go hit some sick rope smacking roastbeef tonight!
So, like a roast beef stiffy? Sounds pretty sick!
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-23-2011, 7:31 PM Reply   
G likes Roast Beef!
Attached Images

Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-29-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
I like the Roast Beef... fun to poke and bring around for a chicken salad

maybe not the best pics, but I have fub doing them
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-29-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Grabbed anywhere on the board is better than not grabbed at all. If you can tweak it and make it look cooler, that's awesome. At nearly 50 years old I can tell you without a doubt that roast beef is harder than indy. Some grabs are impossible for me, for example: no way I could grab Canadien Bacon, I can't even do that on the dock let alone behind the boat! I think it is funny that people are talking about a "legite grab". To me wakeboarding is about freedom of expression, not what someone else thinks is cool...
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
Andy, do one of those grabs and post a picture. They should pretty sick.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-29-2011, 9:35 PM Reply   
on it!