A quick post for my fellow watch nuts out there....
My beloved Submariner went off to get serviced the other day so I picked up a very cool Breitling Super Ocean Steelfish with a blue face (I will post pics later).
- Breitling had much more "bling" whereas the Rolex Sub is just plain classic
- I really like the the Pro 2 band on the Breitling and its clasp is superior to the Rolex 16610 (I hear Rolex has redone the clasp recently but I am not paying $8000 for a new 2011 Submariner!)
- The magnified date on the Rolex is very effective and after 11 years my eyes aren't used to having to work so hard to see the date on the Breitling, minor deal but still worth mentioning.
- Initially I didn't like the blue face but I got such a great deal I bought it. it has grown on me a lot and I like it now.
- I love the size of the Breitling but I can definitely see myself whacking it on door jams, etc...
- The Breitling is rated for crazy depths of 2000M / 6600' and has a helium escape valve like the Rolex Sea Dweller (now called the Deep Sea)
- I think bang per buck it would be damn hard to beat this Breitling since you can could buy one for about approx. 1/3 the price of a Rolex Submariner and 1/4 of a Deep Sea. For sheer value I'd also look at Omega but please, don't mention Tag with this group of watches- it isn't in the same league.