Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-08-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
I finally got rid of my iPhone (3G) for a few reasons. The biggest is probably because it doesn't support Flash, but I also wanted access to more apps and some of the other cool stuff that Android offers. I also noticed that music is a lot cheaper when you don't buy from iTunes. After just two days with the new Motorola Atrix I'm sooo glad I made the switch! I was a little worried about whether or not it would be as user friendly, but those fears disappeared really quickly. This thing rocks and is super easy to use. It's almost like they stole all the good stuff from the iPhone and then took things further and made them faster.

I was able to get most of my iTunes library up and running right away with Double Twist. I was able to find all my iPhone apps in the Android Market and I'm still finding cool stuff. One of the coolest apps is the TV Remote for my Sony/Google TV (not available for iPhone). I don't ever have to worry about finding the remote again because it's in my pocket!

Granted my iPhone was old and probably on its last leg, but I can't believe how much I was missing out on as far as speed. My browser actually works at the same speed as my desktop computer when I'm on my wifi. Still not sure why it would be so much slower on my iPhone. I'm sure the iPhone 4 is probably faster, but this is all I have to compare it to.

Drawbacks are the following...
- The power on button is at the back of the phone. It was really convenient to be able to wake up your phone when it's sitting on a desk just by pushing the button on it. It's a bit of a pain to have to pick it up to press the button.
- I miss Visual Voicemail, but I'm thinking there has to be an app for this. What do you recommend?
- Some of my iTunes songs still won't play on Double Twist because they are protected. Is there any way to undo that protection other than burning and ripping the songs on a CD? I have the same problem with 2 or 3 movies that I bought through iTunes.
- There doesn't seem to be much notification for when I get voicemail messages. As far as I can tell, there's just a little green light on the front, but I still have a lot to learn about this thing.
- I really hate product that come without a manual that goes through all the features. Providing the manual on the Internet is not the same. I want to sit on the couch and learn all about my phone without having to search the Internet. They did this with my Google TV as well and it really pisses me off.

This is my first phone with a front camera and an HD video camera, so that's pretty cool too. What does everyone recommend for on-phone video editing?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I dig into this, but if you've been hesitant about moving from Apple to Android, just go for it. The learning curve was way shorter than I thought it would be and I feel like I've gained some freedom.