Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
I'm going to be demoing some new bindings early this season and was curious if anyone has tried these out? The fact that the binding has no bottom and that the liner rests directly on the board seems like it would help, ecspecially wiht weight. Just curious how they feel and how thick the bottom of the liner is for landings.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-07-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
RAD bindings are RAD!

I am a 11 shoe size and wear 10 Boots.

The bindings are legit. They are so light it makes the board the lights board and boots out there. And you can really feel a huge difference riding with no base compared to last year boots.
Old     (dubrider12)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-07-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
Best binding I have ever put on. Super easy to put on and tighten up. Heat molds to a custom fit, and very light and comfortable. Get a size below what your shoe size is as they are running a little big and you should be good to go.
Old     (rapha)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
what about the lacing system? is it durable? ...i heard that LF's ltd. ones broke often... maybe that's why i didn't see anybody riding them?!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-07-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
the slingshot laces are some crazy material that is insanely durable.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
They sound pretty nice. Right now, just based off of research, I like these and the hyperlite system. Going to demo each before I select.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-07-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
I think everyone is wondering about these (myself included). If people who have ridden them can post about them, it would be big help for us all (me). I'm wondering about the single lace system, heel hold, overall foot hold, base plate warping/bending, sizing (is the size down advice unanimous?), and whatever else you think about them.

I have a feeling people are going to be raving about them, if anyone has anything they aren't pumped about let me know. That will tell me even more about them i think, it could be the pessimist in me haha!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
I have not tried (or even seen in person) these boots yet, but am dieing to as well

however, if you have not seen the videos slingshot put out, do so, very informative
there is even a video on how to heat mold and a video on replacing the laces should they ever fail. The lace system really is quite kool. though it is one lace pull, there is still the lower and uper portion that could be tweaked individually if desired.

the footbed is 3 layers. the liner, the "purple cush," and the gel sole. just looking at the purple stuff tells me there ought to be some good shock absorption there.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/wake_videos
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
i guess the fact that the boots run big is a positive thing for those with big feet. size 14 and maybe 15 could wear closed-toe boots in this case. and i suppose anyone in the smaller range feet can get the ladies version (they don't look terribly girlie) or wear neo socks to take up space.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-07-2011, 10:56 PM Reply   
I just got a pair last week. Im going to ride them this weekend, but I did try them on and mold them. Get a size smaller than normal. I wore a 12 in the D3's and the 11 RAD's are perfect. They are the most comfortable bindings I have put on. The lacing system is awesome, one pull and they are done. The boot actually has reverse camber so when you tighten it to the board it pulls down in the middle creating absolutely no toe or heel lift. I even tried to pull on the toe and heel and couldnt even make it lift off the board. Ill let you guys know how the setup (response) shreds after this weekend.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2011, 11:09 PM Reply   

"I even tried to pull on the toe and heel and couldn't even make it lift off the board"-- by shredtastic(seth)

^^good to hear. one of the things i wanted to know the most. the older boots were not the best in this department
Old    mojo            02-07-2011, 11:28 PM Reply   
I'm skeptical about dead space and hotnspots from the removable liner. I kind of like an all one piece design. I do wish I could demo some for sure
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-08-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
I rode them Saturday behind the boat and they are the dopeness. Definitely buy them a size smaller than you would usually run... I wore a 10 in LF and I got 9s in the RADs. Molding them is super easy and it gives you a worn in feel right out of the box so there was no awkward adjusting on the water. They are a fairly stiff boot out of the box but they get pretty flex over time. The base of the liner is pretty thick and very tacky so they sit really nice on the board and landings are money. No hard spots or shifting around. I thought the laces would bug me coming off LF Vantages but they are a breeze to get on and only take a few extra seconds to get off.

Plus after my set since it was freezing I just slipped the liners out and rocked them on the boat I was stylin hard LOL Can't wait to get them on the cable Saturday and Sunday to take full advantage of being able to walk around in the liners.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-08-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
does anyone wear a 10.5 shoe? I went down to a 10 in the PB Floyd so I should go with a 9 in the RAD? sorry to be a little redundant but I just dont want to spend $375 and have to exchange them and pay shipping and all that sh*t. thanks for the input, keep it coming!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-08-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
Yeah dude... 9 is good, they run pretty big. The liners might be a little tight against you're toes at first but they'll pack out. Heat molding will help too.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-08-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
I'm super excited to try them out. Slingshot has been one of the most inovative board companies out there, IMO. I've been riding drivers for the last few years and the switch to a '10 lyman, from a recoil, made them go form being a good binding to terrible due to the inability to adjust the width of the stance. While I liked the four hole set up on the older bindings, seems like that didn't catch on and the ability to put the bindins on more boards is much better
Old     (dubrider12)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-08-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
I wear between a 9.5 and 10 depending on the shoe (9.5 7 times out of 10) and am riding the size 8 R.A.Ds. Now with that said i like my bindings really tight and had the opportunity to try on a few different sizes . They fit great before i heat molded them and now after heat molding them they are a perfect fit. Best i have ever put on.

Jeff- You will be good to go with a 9 especially after you heat mold them. The fit is phenomenal.
Old    mojo            02-08-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
Compare flex to other boots if u can
Old     (JEr)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-08-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
I had size 10 D2's fit a little snugg and wasnt able to pack out lenght wise u guys still suggest doing down to a 9??????
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-10-2011, 4:20 AM Reply   
Who is the best online dealer,
I am a couple of hours away from the closest storefront
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-10-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
Right from the source homie

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2011-...category=31245
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
Slingshot has Amazing Product this year! looks wicked cant wait to ride it
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
maybe the next best thing to actually trying them on would be to get some measurements of the length of the footbed on the Interior. people can then measure the bottom of their feet to get an idea. those with boots, if possible, use a tape-measure or something and post some results for others?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-19-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
two questions i forgot to ask

how cushy is the "purple cush" , what other brand's footbed would you compare it too?

how thick is the padding of the liner in the toe-box? 2007 slingshot liners were about 1/4 inch thick all around, but 08 it thins down around the foot and 09 the liner is thinned down in the entire liner (but has better heel kidneys than 08, more like the 07 liners). how would the rad liners compare to past liners
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-19-2011, 7:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
2007 slingshot liners were about 1/4 inch thick all around,
oops, sorry, i meant to say that the 2007 original driver liners were 1/2 inch thick.... 1/4inch is what they thinned down in the D2 and D3s so they were not so bulky

Last edited by wakerider111; 02-19-2011 at 7:14 PM.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-19-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
The new liners are like Doctor Schols. So comfy. I wear mine around everywhere. Sometimes forget to take them off. So nice for the cable park and just around the lake haha. The liner are not super bulky, the actual liner heat molds nicely too your foot and the foot bed is so soft but doesnt wear in and get old. The purple cush stays fluffy.
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
Hi Guys

Please continue to share your experience with the sizing of the new RAD.

I own a few pairs of D2 in size 11 and from what I'm reading I should go down to a size 10. I usually were size 11 in shoes (sometimes 10.5) and size 42 in my KSO Trek from FiveFingers.

I'm about to order a few pairs and would appreciate to get more input.

Thanks
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-05-2011, 8:01 PM Reply   
Despite all the positive reviews, a couple things struck me with these boots. First of all, do they know "reverse camber" is rocker? Meaning its got premade heel and toe lift. I realize this probably isnt the case, but one would think they would catch that before marketing as such. That being said, its a fantastic idea and I wish every company did that. And the claim of a baseless boot is a little bit of BS. Sure the bottom of the boot is open to the board, but they make up for that with the liner. Which is basically what Ronix did in 09. Just with a non-removable liner. And LF has already done that quick pull lace. So sure, I bet they're great, but I get the impression that a lot of their "new" features have already been done.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
the boots do have reverse camber. Instead of being flat they have slight reverse camber so that toe and heels are the first thing that hit the board when you set them down and then you when tighten them down it sucks the toe and heels down even more.

they are hands down the sickest boot Ive used after 10 years of boots. I also loved the old slingshot D2s.

Last edited by ghettofab; 03-06-2011 at 1:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-06-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
^Thats called camber.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-06-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
^Thats called camber.

Ben is right about the "camber" vs "reverse-camber"

Definitions of camber on the Web:

* a slight convexity (as of the surface of a road)
* bank: a slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
* curve upward in the middle
http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...ient=firefox-a

But, Jeff Mckee is holding the boot upside down while mentioning "reverse camber" which in That position the terminology would be correct... hahaha
boot down, it would be "camber"
http://www.slingshotsports.com/2011-...category=31245
Attached Images

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-07-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
^I use snowboards as an example. Thanks for clarifying with the orientation of the boot though, makes a lot more sense that way.
Old     (JEr)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-07-2011, 9:24 PM Reply   
Serge,

I have size 10 D2's they were the slightest bit to small. So i sent an email to slingshot tech support before ordering my RAD's. The response i got was that the RAD's fit size wise like nike shoe sizes. So long story short i ordered a 10 RAD and am very pleased with them. I got them last week and they fit perfectly, glad i didnt go a shoe size smaller like some of the peeps said cause for me they would have been to small if i went one down from my shoe size. I wear a 10 skate shoe also.

Hopefully that helps. with your order
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-14-2011, 10:40 PM Reply   
Jeremy you are a genius. Best review in my opinion and you described my fit of the PB's perfectly. I'd like to buy you a beer. Going to buy my new recoil set-up, thanks to everyone for your help.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-20-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
Any more thoughts on sizing? Anyone have any trouble with "toe slam" -that was a huge problem with my CT LFs (going up or down a size).
In general can you send them back to an online dealer? I suppose if you mold them it would be "no"
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-22-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
OK then, another question...when you take them off in the water, are you pulling out with the liners on you feet still?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-22-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
yeah its easier to just pull your foot out with the liner still on.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-29-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
I got my boots last week so I will throw in my input on the sizing. I wear both size 10 and 10.5 shoes. If they are cushy skate shoes that will break in i will go with a 10 so that as the padding breaks down they fit perfectly. If its a dress shoe or canvas shoe that will not pack out, then I go with 10.5. I have ridden size 10 Ronix Cells and size 10 PB Floyds. I sized down so that the heat molded the liners would pack out just like my skate shoes.

As I menitoned above, the PB Floyds were great, but my toes touched the ends, to the point where it wasnt comforatble to be in them for a super long set (normal sets were fine). Not a huge issue day to day, but every so often they would hurt. Reading Jeremy's review above I went with size 10 RADs. The length is perfect on them. My toes JUST touch the ends of the boots but are not crammed by any means and it doensn't even feel like they will slam into the ends on a hard landing or whatever. Comparing the two boots (both size 10, one on each foot) the rad is maybe 1/2 size bigger. This is perfect for me because of what i already said about the floyds. If you fit perfectly in your old SS boots, I would agree to size down. With the heat molding and breaking in, you'll want the smaller size.

I dont think the fit is flawless however. I would not want a size 9 because the length of the boot is perfect, but I would like a size 9 in the sense that the toe cap is a little roomy for me. I dont think my foot will be sloshing side to side, but there is definitely some play where I woul like it to be completely snug. I'm trying to think how to jimmy-rig or add material to the inside so that it fits snug on my foot side to side.

Any one else experience this or know what I am talking about? The bottom line is that I'm pumped to ride them in a couple months. They're comfortable, and just by tightening them up and wearing them in my room they are already getting a little softer. Th sinlge lace system isn't my first choice, but the way they have it configured I think it will be fine.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-29-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
not sure if wearing a neoprene sock would help in your "jimmy-rig" adjustment efforts, but that is what i started doing for my boots... more so to add just a bit of extra coosh, especially for my toes for potential slams. (i got pansy toes)
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-29-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
yeah man i thought about it but I'd rather decrease the size of my boot than increase the size of my feet. Really i just need it on the top on my foot as well. I might try to cut up a spare liner and glue portions of it inside the RAD.

Does anyone have spare old SS liners that they could donate?? I would use my old ones, but my friend wants to buy that set-up. Thanks.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-29-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
only other suggestion i might have is to put a gel (or other water proof) orthotic in the bottom of the boot under the liner to raise it up. i have done this before too
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-30-2011, 6:02 AM Reply   
So i tried them on with my insole from my shoe and they are dope!! Now i know what everyone else here is talking about, these are sooo comfy. The length remains unchanged but now the top and sides of my feet are snug against the walls. I will buy some gel insoles today so that they are waterproof and wont get my boots all moldy.

its not ideal to have to modify your gear out of the box, but you also gotta think about how many people are riding them and how different their feet are, so i'm not mad about it. cant wait to ride em!!
Old     (jkgriner)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-30-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
I wear a size 10 shoe, and took the advice here and ordered the 9. They were too small, but fortunately the guys at Buywake sent me a new pair the day I called them to exchange. The 10's are amazing, but they are kind stiff, took some getting used to.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-30-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydenrict View Post
So i tried them on with my insole from my shoe and they are dope!! Now i know what everyone else here is talking about, these are sooo comfy. The length remains unchanged but now the top and sides of my feet are snug against the walls. I will buy some gel insoles today so that they are waterproof and wont get my boots all moldy.

its not ideal to have to modify your gear out of the box, but you also gotta think about how many people are riding them and how different their feet are, so i'm not mad about it. cant wait to ride em!!
Sweet, glad that worked, much easier mod than cutting and gluing. i used that (insole idea) method for my d2's then switched to neo socks.

definitely right about everyone's feet being different, its a good thing and a bad thing. haha
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
OK, I just got my R.A.D. boots in the mail a couple days ago. I plan to have a full in depth out-of -the-box review for you guys soon.

but until then i will give you what i think will be the most reliable view on SIZE.
unfortunately, size is very subjective, especially with footwear. even more unfortunate is the fact that many people really do not have the abilities to demo (easily)

Soo here it is in actual measurement:

2011 Slingshot RAD SIZE 11 - The inside of the liner measures 10 and 3/4 inches from big toe to heal.

2009/2010 Slingshot D3 SIZE 12 - Pretty much the Same, liner bed inside measures 10 and 3/4 inches.

** BOTH liners measured were NOT molded. the D3 boots have been ridden in but the RAD boots have not yet.

it is apparent to me that size has changed every year

the liners do fit a little different though from the D3 and the Rad (every year does really). the D3 liners are some of the thinnest/ most flexible of all years models. i would say that the thickness and softness of the RAD liners compares more to the D2 boot's liners. I like the rad liners a lot!

I have 2008 D2 boots as well SIZE 11, they measure about 10 and 1/8 inches, but they HAVE been molded (but i don't think it makes a difference)

size has changed every year really. so you got to know what years/models you have experience with and go from there while interpreting the data above

Last edited by wakerider111; 04-10-2011 at 2:22 PM.
Old     (k2rider2690)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-11-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Since the new RAD bindings have the screw placements on the outside, does that distance match the distance from the older boards like 08-09 boards where they had the four hole placement and the two hole?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-11-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
The new RADs will definitely match the 09 boards not sure about 08, but the bindings should still work anyway you just might have only one stance option
Old     (apf)      Join Date: Dec 2010       04-12-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
does RAD stand for research and developement?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2011, 10:48 PM Reply   
"Really Awesome Driver" Boot i think
All past boots were "Driver" boots
Driver
D2
D3
and now R.A.D.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-13-2011, 2:47 AM Reply   
Jeremy! I got size 11 D2 and my measure is not the same as you. I got 10 3/4! It sounds ok because my foots measure 10 3/4 and I'm right at the end of the liner!.Can you measure you foots with your weight on just to know because with all these differents opinions, I'm not so sure about my size for the RAD. thanks!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2011, 10:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlap View Post
Jeremy! I got size 11 D2 and my measure is not the same as you. I got 10 3/4! It sounds ok because my foots measure 10 3/4 and I'm right at the end of the liner!.Can you measure you foots with your weight on just to know because with all these differents opinions, I'm not so sure about my size for the RAD. thanks!!!
hmmm... maybe having heat molded my D2 boots did make a big difference. when i first got them i thought they were just a tiny bit large and did some molding and added an orthotic to squeeze things up (i normally wear size 10.5 shoes). i hurt my toe at work and started wearing my buddies d3 boots that were a size larger (12) with some thick neo socks on to take up space and cushion my poor toe. going back to my D2 boots they felt small and so i kept using my buddies boots with the socks cause i liked it so much. I actually plan to continue to do the same with my RAD 11 boots. Maybe my D2 boots liner shrunk??

ANYWAY... here are some pics. in the pics i measure the bottom of the liners from the outside of the liner. this is easy to do with D3 and older, but because of the RAD's additional footbed it is difficult to tell how much room is INSIDE the liner. so take into account the padding when looking at the measurements, also take into account that there is a bit of an optical illusion. the ruler may not look lined up because of the anatomical curves of the liner.

I still stand confident by my measurements being 10 and 3/4 inches for my pair of 2011 slingshot RAD boots' liner beds (un molded). Keep in mind that the inside of the shell is larger. i could almost fit the ruler inside. if your foot measures 10 and 3/4 then i would think you would be OK. Heck, the boot might be made FOR you. the foam will give inside the much larger shell to make room for your foot fredlap.
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2011, 10:40 PM Reply   
sorry the d2 and d3 pics are blurry, i was rushing, but at least the rad pics are clear.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2011, 10:42 PM Reply   
ohh and the proof that i do indeed have the size 11 rad
Attached Images

Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-14-2011, 3:48 AM Reply   
Good job man... I did the same way but I don't understand why my D2 are 3/4'' longer.... weird! I only measure my last year D2... I will measure my 2 other pair, one use and one new in the box and come back with it!
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-14-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
It's really weird... my brand new D2 are 10 3/4 and 2 used pairs are the same. I really don't understand how your's can be that short! Maybe you got wider feet and it changes the length.... still weird!
I hope my RAD (10) gonna fit!
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-12-2011, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydenrict View Post
I dont think the fit is flawless however. I would not want a size 9 because the length of the boot is perfect, but I would like a size 9 in the sense that the toe cap is a little roomy for me. I dont think my foot will be sloshing side to side, but there is definitely some play where I woul like it to be completely snug. I'm trying to think how to jimmy-rig or add material to the inside so that it fits snug on my foot side to side.

Any one else experience this or know what I am talking about? The bottom line is that I'm pumped to ride them in a couple months. They're comfortable, and just by tightening them up and wearing them in my room they are already getting a little softer. Th sinlge lace system isn't my first choice, but the way they have it configured I think it will be fine.
I have been riding a pair of size 11 D2's for 2 years and the fit was great. They were a little snug length-wise but the toe cap fit around perfectly snug.

I ordered a pair of RADs because I wanted the footbed and baseplate. I ordered again in size 11 but this time, the boot is a little longer and no longer fits snug length-wise. More importantly, the boot over seems more bulky, namely toe cap being way bigger. This may also be due to the fact that the laces do not go down on the toe as much and cannot close the size of the toe box. I'm tempted to heat mold the bindings, but that won't make up for a general excess of room inside the boot. Also, I don't think I will see much difference in size of the toe box by going down a size unfortunately, so it looks like I'll be returning these and sticking with my D2s for now.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-13-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Ray, depending on how much wiggle room you have, try them on with an extra insole form your shoes. I thought the same thing about my RADS when i got them and the insole really helped tighten them up. I agree with you about the lace not going all the way down. i also odnt think that heat molding will help you. if anything, heat molding makes a snug boot fit better, but not a loose one.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-14-2011, 12:34 AM Reply   
If you still have the boots ray you might try the insole thing or even try some thick (neo) socks.

The liners are definitely constructed differently. personally i like them a lot. i only wish the heel kidneys were a bit larger is all and more arch.
if you scan back up to my posted picture of the RAD liner side view. you can pull out your older liners to compare for those without RAD boots. Notice the stitch lines and the pieces that were put together to make the liner. notice the 3 inch line on the ruler. there is a stitch line there leading up to another stitch line over the top of the foot, or the bottom of the tongue, forming the toe box. this stitch line is a little closer to the toes of the boot.

basically the tongue of the liner is its own piece on the RAD liner as is the front of the toe box. the back and the sides of the liner are one piece. a total of 3 pieces (excluding the footbed)

the previous models of liners had 2 pieces stitched together making the liner. the tongue and toe box was one continuous piece before.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-14-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Yeah, those might work, but I've had bindings where I had to wear socks and I don't wanna have to try to make them fit right. I like the idea of flexing side to side a lot though.

My D2s fit really good right now, my only problem is they're a little stiff as well as a little stiff still and how the bottom plate attaches to the boot so the toe and heel can flex a little bit from the plate.

Anyone have the 2010 Company Pros or Vandalls? I may get a pair of those b/c they look like the toe cap tapers down more like the old SS boots did.
Old     (jakeeller)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
these bindings blow, demoed them and absolutely hated them.... just my personal opinion
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-18-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
Jake, that review didn't help anybody and you didn't say anything subsantial. thanks though.

Ray--i feel you on not wanting to wear socks to make your equip fit right. I'd still try the footbed thing as it is something that you can add to the binding once and then be set for life rather than having to keep track of sacks and put them on every set, etc.
Old     (jakeeller)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2011, 9:09 PM Reply   
alright ill elaborate, i like softer bindings and these things were uncomfortably stiff... at least for me, second i really didnt like the lacing system, i felt like it restricted your options as far as pinpointing where you want your bindings tight and where you want them loose (for me i like the bottom nice and tight and the top looser if that makes sense). the last thing i didnt like about them is that even though i was running them a full size smaller than my watsons, my toes were moving up and down in the toe box a bunch. again just my personal opinion, i understand everyones feet are different. hope this helps more.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-18-2011, 10:34 PM Reply   
the top and bottom can be tightened independently of each other actually. there is one lace, true, but there are two grooves with locking teeth on the hardware (one for the top section and the other for the bottom). each end of the lace is fixed/tied to the very top and the other to the very bottom. half of the lace zig zags over the ankle and then out the side. the other half zigzags over the foot and out the side. pull one half of the lace tightens the area designated to it. pulling equally tightens the entire boot the same. it's kinda hard to explain in words.

i do agree that they are stiffer than the past d3 d2. its kind of a preference thing. the forward/lean flex is significantly stiffer, and i believe it will stay that way even after breaking them in. The D3 and D2 have large flex zones in the cuff, the RAD boots have very small flex zones.
The shell extends higher than the liner almost all the way around adding to stiffness too (This i am not sure if i am fond of). The women's version, the jewel, looks like and ought to be more flex/soft-user-friendly, but you got to have a smaller foot to take advantage of it. the shell is not as tall on it, has larger cuff flex zones, and looks like it uses less material to make it.

i only got one set on these boots, hard to give them a respectful review... speaking of review, i have several files of video on my computer that i filmed a month ago that i still need to edit together and post. all sorts of delays keep me from finishing it.

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-18-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2011, 8:50 PM Reply   
the first time I rode mine I thought they were very stiff. (yeah, thats what she said) Try not tightening them up so much. I barely tighten mine now and they have good flex and my feet dont move around at all in them.
Old     (sambo13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-05-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
I've been thinking about getting a pair of these (making a significant step up from my LF Alphas). Anyone else picked up a set and have any thoughts on them?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-06-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
yeah its easier to just pull your foot out with the liner still on.
Is that what everyone else does too? So what do you do with the liner? Stick it back in the boot or toss it in the boat somewhere? Just seems odd, but maybe that's the point of the liner.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2011, 10:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy44 View Post
Is that what everyone else does too? So what do you do with the liner? Stick it back in the boot or toss it in the boat somewhere? Just seems odd, but maybe that's the point of the liner.
I removed the laces from my liners so i would not have to mess with them and so the boot would open easier. i did not notice any difference in support and i almost never ride anything but wake/ behind the boat so i saw no reason to use them. BUT i kept the Velcro piece that holds the excess lace on the liner to cover the rough velcro so that it does not chafe and tear at the liner material over time

I keep the liners in my boots until i am done for the day. i take them out only for drying purposes. It is nice to be able to more quickly and more effectively dry your boots with simple removal of the liners. this is indeed one of the major points of the liners being removable. another important reason is to heat mold the liners. because they are removable you can heat mold them easily at home if desired instead of looking for a special machine at a shop. I did not heat mold mine. i think they are fine out of the box, but i will occasional be sharing my boots too. IMO in the past, heat molding makes the liners ever so slightly stiffer and i would rather preserve every bit of softness for me.

one thing I do differently than probably 99% of riders out there, is that I purposely buy my boots a full size too large and I wear 5mm neoprene socks to take up the space and give myself added cush. I personally LOVE IT like this.

hopefully my video comparing the D3 and RAD will be done soon... got to try to cut it down from the 15min length that it is now
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-06-2011, 11:07 PM Reply   
I usually just throw them in one of the lockers.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-07-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
I personally never had an issue with the liners coming out while unstrapping. When my freinds use my board and they unstrap, they do the classic method of loosening the laces and then jumping out the boots. This works fine for older rubber boots and boots without removable liners. Then they swim to the boat an complain about how the liners came out too. I tell them that they are idiots. If you loosen the laces and then reach down with your hand and use it like a shoehorn while wiggling/pulling your foot out, it will break the suction, let water into the boot, and release your feet while the liners stay in the boots. The way I explained it makes it sound like a long process, but it seriously is more effective than just jumping out of them. Not that big of a deal at all
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-07-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
I pull the boots out when I'm finished with a set... and wear them around on the boat If I decide to take them off I just throw them in the floor or on the seat.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-08-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
I finally received my new set up last w-e and yes, I'm a size 10. It's a size below my D2. I was not so much impressed by the comfort after my first ride because the D2 was sooooo comfortable but after my second run and a different ajustement, I loved it. I don't tight the higher section so much because it feel a lot stiffer. I prefer when I can move my ankles a little bit more. I think they will be tougher than the D2.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
Finally got my review posted... I have many reasons for the delay, but i'll save you the pathetic excuses and give you the links already
It compares the D3 and the R.A.D. side by side, so it is in a sense a double review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wINYWjk7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YC8dxowh4
Warning:
It is pretty lengthy, but I have included time cues with topics so you can skip around and use your viewing time more positively for your circumstance
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-19-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
Great job man!
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-20-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for the very thorough review

Fred, you should share the mod you did to your RAD to make the top of the feet and toe area tighter...

ST
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-20-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
no prob. glad its been helpful. better late than never to get it posted.

throw an orthotic in the boot, it will narrow the toe area. me personally i am liking the more rounded toe box on the new RAD boots
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-20-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
I really like the RAD too but it felt a bit roomy in the front so I cut a part on my old D2 liner and put it on the RAD. At first, it felt too small but after one set, it's now perfect! You can glu it on or just taping it.
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2011, 10:34 PM Reply   
Super Simple Tip: (favorite tip from my review that i wanted to share without having to watch the vid)
Tie a loop of material around the central laces to help with loosening the laces. after unlocking the laces from the teeth just reach down and pull on the easy-to-find-and-grasp loop. super simple! If it helps you as much as it did me you might also wonder why it was not part of the design.
Attached Images

Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-22-2011, 2:45 AM Reply   
In fact, it's a great idea!
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-22-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
1. my biggest complaint after riding them a couple of times is how hard they are to loosen to take off. It was a battle to unlock the laces and then pull on the tongue to loosen. I will install that loop that Jeremy suggested tonight. Thanks for the tip!

2. Fred, after seeing how you cut up your old liner, that is exactly what i wanted to do with my RADs when i first got them and I think I still want to. I have ridden them a total of 5 times with an insole and while they fit great on the dock, my foot still moves around while riding. I think that liner peice on the top of my foot would be perfect.

Does anyone have spare liners that I could have/buy from you? It would help me out a ton! PM me if you do please.

I like to see that other people are as into customizing their stuff as i am in order to make it perform for your specifc need/preference
Old     (mcmichael13)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-22-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
my foot measures to be 11" or slightly more (1/8" or so). Should I step up and get the size 12 binding?

Thanks!