Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
So E. Valdez and Sichel to Humanoid. Good stuff for Humanoid
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-09-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Humanoids graphic design is so much better than a lot of stuff out there. so rad.
company, humanoid and slingshot are all sporting killer bits of graphic work right now. thanks guys.
Old    Train (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
I thought Eddie and Randall were two peas in a pod? either way, good for Eddie to branch off a bit from the norm.
Old    DC (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-09-2011, 10:52 PM Reply   
AZs local shredder Ben Christiansen who was sponsored by Company, Has now signed with Byerly boards
Old    the not so naked chef (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-19-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
I don't even understand how anyone would want to go to brostock or support a brand after bull**** like this. I understand protecting intellectual property, but I don't think this is it at all. I wonder if it was an ego blow to have to pay a wakeskater for their technology after having your first wakeskate be a sponge (a joke) and saying wakeskating was deadly...

10 years from now, will there be more than four or five large companies making wakeboards in the industry? Oh, and companies that aren't all under the same umbrella and owned by the same guy? Such a healthy industry we have here...is wakeboarding only going to grow so large that you want to ensure you have as much of the pie as you can, or do you want to see new people with new ideas in the industry that might actually PROGRESS it?
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-19-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
down with brostock!!
Old    English (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-20-2011, 1:42 AM Reply   
very interesting article from Stokemeter: http://stokemeter.com/2011/03/19/water-sports-turmoil/

everyone should read it, not saying you should agree with it, but at least read it.
Old    Jeremy (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-20-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
^Very interesting article. I think Ronix has the financial resources to fight this, but shame on Finn if the claims in that article are true.
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-20-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
I read your post on Facebook Kristian. Very interesting. CIE has been a victim of local dealer politics. I knew they existed, but it's interesting to see what is happening much higher up in the food chain.
Old    Andy Graham (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-20-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
Makes me glad I ride Ronix. One more reason to stay with them.
Old    Jeremy Byrom (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2011, 3:42 PM Reply   
The article mentioned "there are things coming up against Ronix and i have heard Slingshot as well"
I hope this does not continue to travel down the list of independents. Did a quick google search, nothing i could tell against slingshot or any others.

depending on your position on things, this might be a good time to support:
*Company (granted they push through this mess)
*CTRL (as the become available)
*Gator
*Humanoid
*Phalanx (when they release)
*Ronix
*Slingshot
*Sine
*Wakeology
Any others i missed?
...or even some other kent brand :O
... wait where does Jstar (jobe) fit in?

Or maybe this would just piss off the obese monster that much more?

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-20-2011 at 3:45 PM.
Old    Jeremy Byrom (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
forgot little known LWA to the list... but then again, only a little more than half of these companies have bindings/boots currently to fall prey to this binding patent

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-20-2011 at 4:39 PM.
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-20-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
Just got a Brand new watson 143 and sane bindings, all still in plastic wrap, I kinda feel like a douche for not getting Ronix gear at the boat show yesterday. Parks was there and everything, even told me I was wearing the wrong shirt. Although the LF stuff was a gift, Im,m sure I can sell it and support an Independent. The only way to show the d bags that they suck is to boycott, but how many could really get behind that?
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-20-2011, 5:41 PM Reply   
motion watersports vs Ronix

http://news.priorsmart.com/motion-wa...-v-ronix-l3tH/
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-20-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
http://news.priorsmart.com/motion-wa...any-wake-l3tK/

Motion VS company
Old    JKW (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-20-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
Not gonna lie, I sold my Liquid Force set-up and went with Ronix because of all of this. This is definitely not good for the sport or for us (the consumers).
Old    Geno James (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
tony finn is hog wash, he stole the SKURFER shape from aussie ...i see a crook and a bs salesman taking over the sport you and me love...he is selling toys and we the people want shred stixx, ride the water and let the church guide the way...Freedom Basck Assassin.step water is the key
Old    Justin Lamoureux (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-21-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
very interesting article from Stokemeter: http://stokemeter.com/2011/03/19/water-sports-turmoil/

everyone should read it, not saying you should agree with it, but at least read it.
Yep. Good article. What ever the outcome. I wont be riding LF either.
Old    Stephen Pliler (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
I'm going to support whatever product works. At this point, im done with ronix, I broke two 2010 "ones" in a month. I heard that the cores on the 2010 "one" where different and they were snapping like crazy. This year i believe they switched back to the old core. I got the first one warrantied but the second one i couldnt even get an email back. So i said screw it.

I'm riding a 2010 lyman these days and I'm pretty bummed that its the last lyman cause that shape is awesome. Love the board and it seems to be holding up. I dont have money to support a product just because they are a new company and seem to be really nice guys.
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-21-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Now this is getting interesting. How many people will sell their stuff and and move to an independent to support the cause....
Old    Itch (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-21-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
Nelly need this kinda support when Double Up was in trouble
Old    Hate2party (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-21-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
who wants some LF stuff on the cheap?
Old    Mike Klarenbeek (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-21-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
This should be under a new thread. Warn people before they buy!!
Old    Bill Montanye (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
look this is a crazy story and if true it is sad , however i do not buy equipment because of who rides them, what they look like, who owns the companys selling a specific product, or to promote anything.

I simply try board, bindings, and equipment and if they fit my style at the moment, are safe and can keep me upright, and feel good I buy them and keep them until i need something new and repeat the process all over again.

I am not going to make choices over a political or moral stance becaise the small compaies or the better moral standing companies may not have the bindings or board i like or the warranty response i need and want to stand behind my equipment and keep me on the water.

i have been riding for 12 yrs now and have went through many companys started on HL like most as it was popu;lar and readily avaibale everywhere and performed well, they were very innovative at the time and no reason to try other companys so for about 4 yrs that what i rode.

after that i knew what my style was and also was informed rider now and tried many other boards like LF, Bad Ass,gator and CWB

Decided CWB was my new favorite board but after a year or so i doidnt like thge bindings anymore and found that LF bindings were bvest and went with a cwb board and lf bindings for 4 more years or so.

well things were chaninging and i was getting older and riding style was changing plus i had to have many CWB Platnum boardss warratied and while they were great in giving mye about 6 free boards in total over 5 years , it gacve mne the opportunity to demo other boards/bindings while waiting on my replacement boards.

I tried sling shot, new lf , ronix.amd obrien. what strange was all of asudden soem of the pro models i didnt like from LF all of asudden were new and fit me pefectly bought a new LF board but didnt like the new CT bindings they released and went with a ronix bindings. that was in 09 and i still love the board but the bindings idnt hold up and the second pair didng fit right , causning foot issues so i am selling thoase and decided to try the new HL systems but my favorite prop shop didnt carry HL anymore and after looking around i saw that LF went to a new binding design this year and tried the new watson CT 2011 models and like them a lot.

so oddly enough i am now on a 2009 lf s4 and 2011 LF watsons, go figure... i am not ashamed and not going to sell them because the owner and Corporation are not in good public standing now, if you or somebody else doesnt approve i do not care...it is what i chose to ride and if they dodnt stand behind their product warrantys or hassle me about it or i change my mind later when demoing something new Ill switch again.

Im not taking sides it not a worry i need to stress over, just go ride what you want and be happy we have choices as afree society to do so.
Old    mojo            03-21-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
You sir are partially to blame for our mfg. In this country, or lack there of. With so few choices of picking a made in USA product or singlely held company you do the us and wake boarding a disservice for not caring.
Old    Dave Diaz (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-21-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
just go ride what you want and be happy we have choices as afree society to do so.
Those choices are limited when big companies try to eliminate the competition. Every business wants to make money, so make a better product, don't sue the little guy for cutting into your profit margin. Big companies became that size through innovation, and making a better product, then got lazy and sues the "new innovators" instead of developing better product to compete
Old    Nick Boville (pumped2Bstoked)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-21-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
It is a shame to see, but it's part of the world we live in!!! Not to fear though....Slingshot has worked out an agreement with LF to share intellectual property.
Slingshot is almost moved into their new factory as well....still made in the USA and great things are expected from them!!!!
Old    Erik Jernberg (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-21-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Jarrod I would, at least for the board. I have more boards than I can count because they just get sent to me but I'd be loathe to sell them for the wrong reason.
I don't think what you're implying (or at least what I think you're implying) would be in that 'wrong reason' category. 90/10 on it being OK vs wrong. I'm not on board with the bindings though. Kinda funny. I am dead set on what I ride for bindings and I don't see that changing. I ride what I believe is the best binding ever made, and like the boards I am sent a LOT and try a LOT and stick with what I have for about 10 reasons - I won't bother to list them - PM me if you want the list - I bet I could give you 20 reasons, not 10, that said there is ONE option this year I'll be checking out but I have been on the same binding since 2003. I have 8 pairs. 2 in cedar closets. 3 on 3 different "mess around" boards like my old finless Helix and my Roam. One on my board board, and a spare, in it's bag & box, unopened (only boot I can ride right out of the box without doing a bit of binding surgery) on my boat.

But I didn't pop in here for that.

I popped in for this:

I've seen this thread go up and down the priority tree. I've debated putting this in but stopped because I didn't want to raise it up yet again... because I could have sworn that Justin ASKED US TO STOP. Did I misread that? Didn't he say stop? I am surprised this thread is even still alive. I must have misread his post or his intent. I've avoided this thread for a long time but this time, since it's 3 on the list - gotta go in. Why are we still keeping this one going? I am all for helping Justin, and I loved what Company is doing, and I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the patent crap because that's a battle of the bucks. So many of those battles are won because of $$$ and excellent lawyers (in their dubious line of specificity). Hate that part. It's the worst.

But shouldn't we let this one die on the line and take it at a different angle?
It's just a question - not trying to start WWIII. This is a 3 month+ thread that has consistently been on page 1 here. And I could have sworn that he asked us to stop:

Quote:
In the meantime though I would be hugely grateful if we could ALL please resist posting anything that may be based on speculation, or that may be hurtful to anyone specifically, regardless of who or what it's about. You can expect this from me moving forward as well."
- Justin Stephens

So I am sorry to be a dingus here but shouldn't we just STFU based on that - well intended or not? The guy is so well liked in the industry and on here, obviously. Many of use are rooting for him for goodness sake.

Confused man. Really confused. I vote that this one gets closed. Don't delete it - the thread is epic in terms of support. But he asked us to shut it. Let's honor the guy's wishes. And do the good work in another manner?

- Me

Last edited by juniorhawk; 03-21-2011 at 1:35 PM.
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
so now when an industry affiliate asks people to stop posting in regards to their company it should be closed? kind of ridiculous. that is the point of a forum. you're suggestion would just turn this into another MC Team Talk
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-21-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
ERIK must work for Tony Finn... hmmmm. KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE!!
Old    Justin Lamoureux (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-21-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
so now when an industry affiliate asks people to stop posting in regards to their company it should be closed? kind of ridiculous. that is the point of a forum. you're suggestion would just turn this into another MC Team Talk
Totally agree with you.
And I understand what Justin is saying. He does not want to be responsible for people hating the other companies. I'm guessing this may be a legal issue, I wouldn't know. I'm sure that Justin is still pushing to get this crappy suit dealt with. Things don't look too promising with his team members being bumped to other companies.
All I know is that I'll be rocking a pair of Vandall bindings this season! Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a fresh pair in the future.
Old    Ben Ax (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-21-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Hey, at least we can come to the conclusion what Wakeboarding is blessed with an almost zealot-like following! Sometimes things get a little goofy, but we got ourselves a passionate crew o' folks here on WW!
Old    Henry Gates (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
I agree with the buy what fits you concept. I own a pair of nikes that I know were likely made in a sweatshop on a tiny island off the coast of china but that didn't effect my decision to buy them. LF may be a "dirty" company but they make a damn product (at least there boards, not a big fan of their bindings). Im not downing the smaller companies, in fact I feel really bad for them, this whole situation really blows. Wakeboarding is such a small industry and to see companies sueing and possibly placing eachother out of business hurts and only limits the amount of gear available to the public. And we all know the less gear available only means less people getting into and involved in wakeboarding
Old    Henry Gates (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
damn good product*
Old    Dave (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-21-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
It's not just liquid force I'll stop buying. But everything under the umbrella companies... It really is quite the shame!
Old    the not so naked chef (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
Man, this is me being a jerk and I don't normally bother with stuff like this, but erik, you're a hypocrite and I don't know if you've read your posts lately, but you come off as holier than thou. I kicked this thread back up because I had something to say, and generally feel really disappointed. Don't put in your two cents and then say, "wait, wait, we all need to stop."
Old    DEFIANT Wake (DEFIANTwake)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-21-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
^^ +1. And +1 for the post you kicked it back up with.
Old    Erik Jernberg (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-21-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsnow View Post
Man, this is me being a jerk and I don't normally bother with stuff like this, but erik, you're a hypocrite and I don't know if you've read your posts lately, but you come off as holier than thou. I kicked this thread back up because I had something to say, and generally feel really disappointed. Don't put in your two cents and then say, "wait, wait, we all need to stop."
I don't think I've been holier than thou, I am just speaking from the gut my man (if I can still call you that). Just kills me to read some of this after what Justin asked for but I think I read into it too much.

I am quite clearly in the minority on this and probably should re-read the site's terms and conditions. BUT, I should probably filter a good portion of my BS, wouldn't you say? Maybe take a break? I think so... So for what it's worth I am sorry. This thread confuses me as it proceeds. I am clear that I need to filter what I say, ok.

So, I am sorry.

/drama

Last edited by juniorhawk; 03-21-2011 at 6:02 PM. Reason: Misspelled a few things, iPad having a mind of it's own regarding my wording.
Old    mojo            03-21-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
You get flowed boards but have 03' boots? And all this jazz. You sound odd.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
erik, you've officially been e-snowed. e-snow rocks!
Old    the not so naked chef (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2011, 9:18 PM Reply   
Erik, I don't know. As far as my response goes, it's just what you say or have said recently. Some of my feeling stem from a couple of other posts, but the main example here is what i said before--saying your piece like other people did and then saying we should all stop. If you disagree with our behavior, then just say that and don't participate. And I understand where you're coming from by reiterating justin's sentiments, and some of the stuff that's been said in this thread is crazy. I feel strongly enough about my comments (which are reasonably factual ie. wakeskate patents and bullying antics) that I would have said it no matter what.
Old    Erik Jernberg (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-21-2011, 11:05 PM Reply   
I was pretty sure I stepped aside on this.
electricsnow - point taken. What more do you need.
I was pretty contrite in my response to you.

/drama
Old    the not so naked chef (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2011, 11:25 PM Reply   
I was just explaining myself after your post. I wasn't expecting chocolates and roses or anything. haaa...
Old    Scott (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2011, 11:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
I vote that this one gets closed. Don't delete it - the thread is epic in terms of support. But he asked us to shut it. Let's honor the guy's wishes. And do the good work in another manner?
I would definitely be in favor of a mod splitting off the first part of this thread that was specific to Company to let that die off. I totally agree with that much and I don't think it's very fair to Justin that his company's name is still on the thread title even after the topic has moved in a different direction.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2011, 12:10 AM Reply   
where's lockenberg when you need him?
Old    Roddyrod (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-22-2011, 12:18 AM Reply   
Never really did like LF. Now, I will be sure to never like (or purchase) LF in the future. Glad to hear all the buzz stirred up from this thread!
Old    SCBrips (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2011, 12:48 AM Reply   
First there was the Skurfer...

Then there was the Hyperlite...

Next came the Flight 69...

Now it's time to turn LAWSUIT!
Old    Jeremy Byrom (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-22-2011, 1:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumped2Bstoked View Post
It is a shame to see, but it's part of the world we live in!!! Not to fear though....Slingshot has worked out an agreement with LF to share intellectual property.
Slingshot is almost moved into their new factory as well....still made in the USA and great things are expected from them!!!!
hmmm, that sounds... interesting...really?
Old    sperbet            03-22-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeslife View Post
Never really did like LF. Now, I will be sure to never like (or purchase) LF in the future. Glad to hear all the buzz stirred up from this thread!
It's about more than just LF. It's Motion Watersports. Basically all of the major brands, LF, HL, CWB, O'Brien.....

Must say, this sours me on all of them. Just wish there were some more options out there for independent companies.
Old    ShAun (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-22-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
I intend on being a lot more selective on what gear I buy from here on out(won't be LF etc) but that's my choice it's also not going to effect how I treat the guy next to me at the cable if he happens to not feel the same way.

Let's not make this negatively effect our sport anymore than it is already...
Old    Nickbot (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-22-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
i read that stokemeter article and feel like putting in my 2 cents...again.
seems the only "facts" in that article were that lawsuits were filed...all the rest is unsubstantiated claims and industry gossip...i assume the author is some "industry insider" who knows all the ins and outs...and this really is a huge conspiracy perpetrated by uncle bob archer to keep wakeboarding out of the X-games...really?!?
i could really give two f's about the politics inside the wakeboard industry, whether wakeboarding is in the X-games, or whether the constant effort to "grow the sport" is stifled or not.
i think most people posting on this thread need to take the time to understand patent law and why it exists, read the patent, look at the binding designs, and make your own judgement. patend law and IP are part of doing business in the US. there are rules that need to be followed.
the fact remains that a lawsuit was filed for alleged patent infringement...LF believes Company and Ronix were in violation. read into it all you want...but, those are the "facts".
for all the claims of malice intent, please provide some evidence and i'll change my mind...
Old    Adam Levitt (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbot View Post
.i assume the author is some "industry insider" who knows all the ins and outs...and this really is a huge conspiracy perpetrated by uncle bob archer to keep wakeboarding out of the X-games...really?!?
That part about the X-Games is flat out wrong. The biggest reason they pulled wakeboarding is because it was going to cost them (ESPN) a ton of extra money for the live feed because it was the only event not at the Staples Centre. In the previous years, all the events were tape delayed and there wasn't the live feed issue. I love a good conspiracy theory, but this one just ain't true.
Old    Jeremy Byrom (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-22-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
I kind like the idea of breaking a new thread, that this one has become too large in size and topic.

so here is this one http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...13#post1667413 Sake of Wake - Path Politics Perspective

if it works, than OK (can't say it was not given a shot)
if people care to keep posting here on the present Company Wake thread to keep things in one place and for whatever other reason then that is OK too

Last edited by wakerider111; 03-22-2011 at 1:43 PM.
Old    Jeremy (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-22-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
"i think most people posting on this thread need to take the time to understand patent law and why it exists, read the patent, look at the binding designs, and make your own judgement."

LF bindings are crap. Who in their right mind would steal their patent?

Nick, it's time for you to get off the Liquid Force soapbox, unless they are paying you to be up there.
Old    Dave (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-22-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
I tottaly Agree... I had a pair of shanes... and they are nothing compared to other boots i own now... Ronix Cell is my current boot of choice... Followed by The one
Old    Henry Gates (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-23-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
"lf bindings are crap, who in there right mind would steal them anyways?"

Couldn't agree more, Liquidforce should be trying to steal the way Ronix makes bindings not the other way around.
Old    Nickbot (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-23-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
"LF bindings are crap. Who in their right mind would steal their patent?"

that is a very compelling argument...are you a patent attorney??

yeah, no similarities here...
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=57498
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in..._detail&p=5276
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
I don't see how you can patent a boot. They are all pretty much the same. What are you going to patent besides the mounting system to the board?
Old    Nickbot (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-23-2011, 8:13 AM Reply   
and yet it happened...
Old    Stephen Pliler (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-23-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
Looks like these shoe companies are **cked

http://www.shoebuy.com/mens-velcro-shoes.htm
Old    Nickbot (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-23-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
velcro is not protected by the patent...just used on bindings first by LF...the biggest problem is the one piece boot bottom/base plate (attachment plate for boot to board)...
Old    Nick McDonald (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
patent law is designed to protect inventions and ideas that are creative and new. One of the things that a patent must be in order to be approved is it must be non-obvious. Now LF is saying that using adhesives, staples or mechanical fastening to attach a binding upper to a base is not obvious? They just covered every way to attach it except friction! but none of that is obvious.
Old    Nickbot (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-23-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
the protection for the construction method (gluing, stitching, etc.) is ONLY as it applies to the particular type of one piece base/bottom protected by this patent...
Old    Jason Buffalow (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-23-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
I feel very strongly about buying American products any chance I can, but am I willing to spend double sometimes to do so- No? so do I ban china from my life because they make everything - no? But I also don't preach and push others to never buy anything from China. This whole thing is a mess and the reality of the world we live in. If you feel that strongly than buy only non-motion products, if not than move on. I am bummed that this is happening in the sport we love, but it is just simple reality of the world. I too generally try most products every season and have rode for almost every wakeboard company in the last 15 years, but I am with Hyperlite because of the high quality and a board I love. That being said, I am not preaching they are the best thing ever made or don't buy an independent. I encourage people trying everything.

Can't we all just get along....
Old    Roy Munson (roymunson1)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-23-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
i have not bought slingshot for several years now. i refuse to buy any lf or archer product. im not interested in supporting these companies any more. buy slingshot!
Old    David Williams (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-23-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
More news on the topic: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...ty-rights.html
Old    A A (ThatGuy)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-23-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
I think it's funny that LF is the one filling the lawsuit, when they actually are copying Ronix, so are a lot of companies actually. In 2010 Ronix came out with the first baseless binding and had a patent pending mark on the baseplate, but I don't think they ever actually filled for a patent or this wouldn't be going on. But LF has blatantly knocked them off! Flip over a Ronix boot and a new LF boot and a new Slingshot boot, ect... They are the exact same as Ronix, its like companies went and bought a pair of Ronix boots, took them apart and made the same thing with a slight tweak, its insane! I am not a fan of HL or their goofy new "system", but at least they tried to do something different after Ronix stormed the industry with new innovative products and didn't just knock them off.
Old    A A (ThatGuy)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-23-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Correction, they came out with the baseless binding for the 2009 season
Old    Dave (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
"I am really stoked that we are able to cooperate with Slingshot"

I have never heard the word "stoked" in a formal press release atta boy Tony way to use the nogen!
Old    Jeremy (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
"velcro is not protected by the patent...just used on bindings first by LF"

Didn't HL use velcro before LF on bindings? The old 3DS Hi-backs if I am not mistaken.
Old    Brian Deegan (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-23-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)
Now this is getting interesting. How many people will sell their stuff and and move to an independent to support the cause....
Not really willing to sell my stuff at the drop of a dime and considering in Ireland there is only one brand not under the umbrella company, it may prove more limiting but I will stongly consider Ronix now when I need new stuff.

That shows why LF is sharing the binding patent with SS, because SS is sharing its control bar patent
Old    Jeremy (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2011, 3:19 PM Reply   
"That shows why LF is sharing the binding patent with SS, because SS is sharing its control bar patent"

Probably why they didn't get sued. Wonder if Gator will get served??
Old    Brian Deegan (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-23-2011, 5:35 PM Reply   
I wonder about companies other than board companies that are under kent/motion. Like O'Neill, Roxy, Billabong, etc. Any ideas about if they're affiliated?
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-23-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Now this is getting interesting. How many people will sell their stuff and and move to an independent to support the cause....
not this kid. i'll still be rockin' my lf gear. i couldn't care less about the drama....i ride what i like no matter whose name is on it. that's not to say i'm anti-indie companies. i rode core and bad ass boards for a while and was intrigued w/ the stuff that company was coming out with.
Old    ShAun (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-23-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
Call it enforcement of a patent if (whoever) wants. Whether legitimate or not I still think it all comes down to greed and big fish need more to eat than little fish.

I hope Motion looses their *** in court and we can quit talking about it. Something that caught my eye was LF's Free-For-All and I was really impressed by it a few months ago now I'm wondering if that isn't just their Ronald McDonald

http://www.onlineusanews.com/wp-cont...d-McDonald.jpg
Old    mojo            03-23-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
Wasn't free for all a hyperlite team video or a video period? Sue lf for trademark infringement.
Old    Roddyrod (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-23-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
That article just makes everything seem so... progressive.

Such a great thing LF is doing for the industry
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
I don't get why what seems to be 99.9% of posters don't understand someone upholding their freaking IP? It's a business people. In any industry, small or large, you uphold your IP. There was cost affiliated with filing for it. No matter the details, it is what it is. You can't just go copy what the best new design is and expect nothing as far as ramification if it was filed, and you KNOW it was filed. This is normal practice in nearly every industry. It's a business world, and as you see, if you have something other than copying "innovations", then you can play. Nickbot couldn't be more right. The rest of you seem to just be lost in the anti-corporate stigma demographic wakeboarding attracted a decade ago.
Old    CIREboardshorts.com (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2011, 9:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
I wonder about companies other than board companies that are under kent/motion. Like O'Neill, Roxy, Billabong, etc. Any ideas about if they're affiliated?
Most of the clothing companies are independent of the wakeboarding behemoth. Here is a little of the who owns who. It really makes the industry a lot smaller than it seems.

Quiksilver owns Roxy, DC, Hawk
Nike owns Hurley, Converse, Umbro
Billabong owns Von Zipper, Element, Nixon, Xcel, DaKine, Sector 9, RVCA and Quiet Flight and Becker Surf Shops (vertical integration)
Burton owns Anon, Red, Analog, Gravis, Forum snowboads, Al Merrick surfboards
Old    Ben Ax (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-23-2011, 10:12 PM Reply   
Wowza! I'd say so! I know a few guys who "hate" Burton and want nothing to do with them... but they'll be the first ones to tell you to hop a Forum! haha ^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks for that post! I knew a few of them, but nowhere near that much. That was a very informative!!

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:55 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us