Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-15-2011, 10:09 PM Reply   
I took my battery to autozone and it's dead. I can get a new Duralast marine battery there for about $75 but just wanted to see if yall have any other suggestions. I have a 1984 I/O with no extra accessories but I still want a quality battery.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-16-2011, 5:54 AM Reply   
There are only 4 manufactures of batteries let the warranty and amp rating be your guide to battery quality.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-16-2011, 6:07 AM Reply   
I would take a look at a Deka Sea Mate battery. Being in Houston - you should have not trouble getting your hands on one. I would look at the 8a31DTM.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0245.pdf

Do you have a smart charger that you hook up to the battery when the boat is not being used? You really need one to get the most life out of your battery.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-16-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Check out www.4xspower.com

I have two of their d3100 series batteries.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-16-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
Can you explain what the amp rating means?

I don't have a smart charger what do they do and whats the benefit of one?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-16-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
Cut and paste special:

What is the Reserve Capacity rating (RC)?
The reserve capacity of a battery is defined as the number of minutes that it can support a 25 ampere load at 80°F until its terminal voltage drops to 1.75 volts per cell or 10.50 volts for a 12V battery. Thus a 12V battery that has a reserve capacity rating of 100 signifies that it can be discharged at 25 amps for 100 minutes at 80°F before its voltage drops to 10.75 volts

What is the CCA rating?
The cold cranking ampere (CCA) rating refers to the number of amperes a battery can support for 30 seconds at a temperature of 0°F until the battery voltage drops to 1.20 volts per cell, or 7.20 volts for a 12V battery. Thus, a 12V battery that carries a rating of 600 CCA tells us that the battery will provide 600 amperes for 30 seconds at 0°F before the voltage falls to 7.20V.

What is the Amp Hour (Ah) rating?
An amp-hour is one amp for one hour, or 10 amps for 1/10 of an hour and so forth. It is amps X hours. If you have something that pulls 20 amps, and you use it for 20 minutes, then the amp-hours used would be 20 (amps) X .333 (hours), or 6.67 AH. The accepted AH rating time period for batteries used in solar electric and backup power systems (and for nearly all deep cycle batteries) is the "20 hour rate". This means that it is discharged down to 10.5 volts over a 20 hour period while the total actual amp-hours it supplies is measured. Sometimes ratings at the 6 hour rate and 100 hour rate are also given for comparison and for different applications. The 6-hour rate is often used for industrial batteries, as that is a typical daily duty cycle. Sometimes the 100 hour rate is given just to make the battery look better than it really is, but it is also useful for figuring battery capacity for long-term backup amp-hour requirements.
The main advantages of purchasing a "Smart" charger are:

>The smart chips allow you to safely fast charge your batteries without worrying about overcharging them. Smart chargers will charge your batteries more consistently because they can sense when your batteries have reached a full charge by measuring the voltage rise and change. They will then switch to a trickle charge which will keep the batteries fully charged until use.

>The smart chips also protect your batteries from overcharge and overheating which will extend the life of your batteries. Our smart chargers also have a "conditioning" feature which when used occasionally will keep the internal chemistry of the battery in top condition by reducing the internal resistance of the battery which will result in increased capacity and run times.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-16-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
Michael, it doesn't sound like you really have a need for a super expensive battery. I probably wouldn't even splurge to an AGM if I was you. I just don't see how you would benefit from spending the extra coin. Like Murphy said Deka makes a great battery. I am a dealer and they are the only full line battery manufacturer in the United States. You probably haven't heard of them as they have been more of an industrial and heavy duty manufacturer in the past it seems. You should be just fine with the Deka Dual Purpose group 24 or group 27 battery. The Deka numbers are DP24 and DP27. You should be able to get one of those for under $100. A lot of the battery manufacturers have similar warranties and they are somewhat misleading. Most have a year to 18 months free replacement and then a prorated warranty after that. The problem with the prorated warranty is that it is calculated off of paying list price and most of the time there is no more value left in it to get you anything.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-16-2011, 8:29 PM Reply   
LIKE POLARBILL SAID the group 24 or 27 battery will be plenty for a i/o boat .i just wouldn't suggest walmart ,autozone,pep boys,napa. try deka or interstate
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-16-2011, 8:48 PM Reply   
Don't bother with marine deep cycle batteries either. You will probably pay more than an automotive battery and the automotive battery is actually built better and will usualy last longer. Buy an on board battery maintainer and just plug it in every time you get back home, these really help get the most life out of your batteries.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-17-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
It all depends on how you use your boat. If you sit around with your engine off and play music alot, I'd spend a little extra and buy a nice optima battery or something affordable from www.4xspower.com. I didn't mean to suggest that you need to buy a D3100.