Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-12-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
That's where you are missing the point. I don't think anyone has ever "taken up" for Comins on this site. I certainly do not support his methods.

My position was only that he actually did have the legal rights to act such a despicable manner.

To convict him would set a precedent that could take away ranchers' rights to protect their livestock and property, and I certainly can't support that.
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-12-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
And yeah Joe, the text runs off my screen by about 20% since you posted that pic.
Old    Hate N Pain (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
All of you taking up for this POS should be proud of yourselves.
I wasn't taking up for him. I just wasn't ready to convict him or blow him away based on what I saw on the video.

Quote:
Pit Bulls are just reported because they are bigger dogs and have a bad name. Compared to almost any other dog a Pit is far less aggressive. Those Yapper and ankle biter dogs provoke and bite humans and other dogs more than anything but since they are smaller dogs it is hardly ever reported. They might not be able to harm an adult but I sure wouldn't trust those dogs around a toddler or baby. I for sure would trust my pit though, she is amazing around my 16month nephew.
Yeah as I mentioned, I do realize that the media focus' on Pits but I think its largely due to the amount of damage they can afflict.
Old    John Anderson (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-12-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
To convict him would set a precedent that could take away ranchers' rights to protect their livestock and property, and I certainly can't support that.
I'm not so sure I agree with this. If the owner hadn't been there to collect his dogs and there had been not witnesses to this and witnessing that the dogs weren't harming the cattle, then nothing would have ever come of it.

I don't think the person responsible for protecting the cows should be required to capture the dogs without harming them. But in this particular instance it can (or may) be shown that there was no immediate harm and the dogs were being taken care of. That IMO is what the whole situation boils down to.

IMO this is a good example of you have rights, if you don't abuse them
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-12-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
I totally agree with you John, but that is a subjective analysis of one case, and we live in a litigious society. Laws have to be objective and enforceable, and there was no violation in that sense. Because of our pathetic legal system, it could effectively take the ranchers' rights away simply because they fear legal action by dog owners, who would be greatly empowered with a legal precedent.

At least Comins gets to live with a worldwide reputation for being a complete $#!theel for the rest of his life.

Comparing a pit to an anklebiter is like comparing an AK47 to a Daisy Red Rider, so it's reasonable that they might be subject to different restrictions.

Last edited by trace; 01-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
Comparing a pit to an anklebiter is like comparing an AK47 to a Daisy Red Rider, so it's reasonable that they might be subject to different restrictions.
I wasn't comparing size, strength, anything like that but aggression. Those ankle biters are way more aggressive then any other dog. Just because they can't do S*** to an adult doesn't mean we should look past it, and just because a pit can doesn't mean they should be looked as an untrustworthy breed of dogs. Pits are far more friendly then most dogs, you are just like the ignorant people that want to believe what the media portrays them as rather then getting the true facts about their breed.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
and you are ignorant as well to think "ankle biters" are way more aggressive. you don't need to lower others to defend yours. for instance, you could say something like, "if you read joe's post in the 1st page, his sister has a pit bull that he describes as a "sweetheart."" see what i did there? defending the pit w/o having to put another breed/group of breeds down.

statistically though, "ankle biters" are not high up on aggression. and yes, bites by them are reported. if you were bitten and don't report it, i'd say you're an idiot. what if the dog has rabies? anyway, here's a link on some stats; http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-study-deaths-maimings.htm please don't ask me how credible the stats are as all i did was google dog bits stats. i'm sure if i kept looking, it'll be similar or not too far off. i'm sure i could also come across some stats that back up your comment.

now, would i say pits are dangerous? prior to meeting my sister's dog, yes. but now, i'd say it all depends on the dog and how it was raised. could i agree w/ the statement, "ankle biters are more aggressive than pits"? i don't think i can.
Old    Matt (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-12-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
Rule #1: If your animal is out on farmers land and has no business there and aint on a leash....Its dead

Im with the farmer/rancher/land owner/land caretaker

If you cant take care of your animal...somebody else will
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
by the way, i remember reading a while back that one breed that was high up on dog bites, surprisingly, was the lab. that shocked the hell outta me. as for small dogs, one of the most aggressive is the cocker spaniel. i had a beagle/cocker spaniel mix when i was a kid. he was a great dog and loved everyone. maybe cause i rescued him.
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-12-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Anklebiters can also lay you open if serious fight or flight instincts kick in. We had to get rid of our two terriers after having a kid, because they both let us know at different times that they thought it was okay to bite kids.

Labs top the list because they are the most popular dog in the US.

Last edited by trace; 01-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
i wonder; of all "pit bull attacks," how many of them were amstaffs? amstaffs are commonly confused as pit bulls.
Old    John Anderson (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-12-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
German Shepards are big cowards that love you bite you in the a$$ when your back is turned.
Old    Someone Else (deltahoosier)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-12-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Interesting on the Pit Bull thing. A pit bull came out to attack my dog with my wife roller blading with him on a leash. Lucky for my wife and dog we have taught our dog to ignore other dogs. If we are on a walk, we hear another dog behind a fence, we teach him to sit with his back to the noise. He followed them all the way home. Then my wife came out to see if the dog was still around and was talking to the people across the street about it. Then she heard a commotion and a lady screaming about 4 houses down and the Pit Bull had a lady pinned in her garage. The Lady had a very big German Shepard and the Pit went in after it. The lady got layed open a bit on her arm for getting in the way. My wife ran down and distracted the pit with a banging on something and yelled at the lady to run in the house with her dog. Then the pit started to turn on her and she ran in.

My wife was in vet medicine for 12 years and used to rescue a number of animals. They had a bull terrior (spuds) and it seemed fine, then one day it turned on her from no where and ripped into her arm down to the bone.

Pits and breeds like them are extremely naturally dog aggressive. Some even suspect that they think small children are on their level of the food chain and attack them from time to time. They can be good dogs, but you are playing with fire.

If I recall correctly, Huskies are pretty high up on the dog attack list. If you really want to know who is on the list, call your home insurers. There is a whole list of dogs that will get you dropped from coverage if the find out. Pits are on that list btw.
Old    Hate N Pain (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Pits are far more friendly then most dogs, you are just like the ignorant people that want to believe what the media portrays them as rather then getting the true facts about their breed.
Yes media and the three attacks/near attacks I have been involved in with them.

Quote:
Those ankle biters are way more aggressive then any other dog. Just because they can't do S*** to an adult doesn't mean we should look past it, and just because a pit can doesn't mean they should be looked as an untrustworthy breed of dogs.
You'd have to admit there is a pretty huge difference between Charlie our neighbor hood Weiner dog and Roxy the Pitbull. Sure Charlie likes to bark and such but your sure as hell not going to be afraid of him attacking you. Its akin to comparing a water gun and .44 magnum. The stigma attached to Pits exists for a reason.
Old    Small Light (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-12-2011, 12:45 PM Reply   
This one just happened in my neck of the woods.

Fairly similar situation except the marauding animals were...wait for it... zebras!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6hfwgxa
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
It is just ignorance. Say all the stories you want about a Pit Bull but people that have researched and know the facts about these dogs will swear by them. I will never own another dog then a Pit Bull. And "Someone Else" you saying that "some even suspect that they think small children are on their level of the food chain and attack them from time to time" is ridiculous. Here is a link I posted earlier in the thread that states they are historically know for their trustworthiness for being a family dog ESPECIALLY with children. There might be stories of pit bulls biting children but I will find 100 other stories about other dogs too?
http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/05...with-children/

Last edited by WRider; 01-12-2011 at 1:07 PM.
Old    Paul (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-12-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
I have to go. I just noticed my cat Smokey is getting ready to pounce on an antelope, and my German Shepard mix is trying to join a wolf pack.

"LOL at calling people stupid who disagree with you."

Just calling a spade a spade.
You just can't stand the fact that someone might have an opinion other than yours. Its ok. Its typical to throw insults when you're wrong.
Old    Hate N Pain (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Pure ingnorance:

2010 Dog Bite Fatalities

33 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2010. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 500 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 67% (22). Pit bulls make up approximately 5% of the total U.S. dog population.3
In 2010, the combination of pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (4) accounted for 79% of all fatal attacks. In the 6-year period from 2005 to 2010, this same combination accounted for 71% (129) of the total recorded deaths (181).

The combined breakdown between the two breeds is substantial. From 2005 to 2010, pit bulls killed 104 Americans, about one citizen every 21 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 25 Americans, about one citizen every 88 days.
2010 data shows that 61% (20) of the attacks occurred to children (11 years and younger) and 39% occurred to adults. Of the children, 75% (15) occurred to ages 4 and younger. Within this same age group, males represented 60% of the victims.
2010 data also shows that 36% (12) of the fatal incidents involved multiple dogs. Nearly a third, 30% (10), involved breeding on the dog owner's property either actively or in the recent past, and 9% (3) involved chained dogs.
Dog ownership information for 2010 shows that family dogs comprised 73% (24) of the attacks that resulted in death; 88% (29) of these incidents occurred on the dog owner's property and 12% (4) occurred off the owner's property.
The state of California led fatalities in 2010 with 7 deaths; pit bulls contributed to 83% (6). Florida followed with 3 deaths and Georgia, Illinois, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas each had 2 deaths.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/07/pit...across-us.html
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
If you would like to go back and forth with links we can, I will show you 100 different sites and articles that will show the opposite of those percentages and how great of dogs they really are. I am trying to defend my dog from the stupid people that think all Pits are a bad breed. You have your opinion on a Pit but it won't do anything to what I know about the breed and how great of dogs they actually are. They are one of the strongest dogs and because some piece of s*** gang bangers and low life people massed produced them to fight that is the only thing people want to look at. I will stand behind a Pit Bull over any dog!
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
Here is my dog (one in the middle) and my sisters two Pits, some ferocious dogs right there!
Attached Images
  
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
you have links that show pit bull bite figures lower than other breeds?
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
No Joe, that will show how great of dogs they are rather then the percentages showing they are bad dogs.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
bite figures don't say they're bad dogs. pit bulls are great dogs. they're highly intelligent and very affectionate, but you can't dispute the fact that they top the list in attacks.

Last edited by dakid; 01-12-2011 at 1:52 PM.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm

Quote:
The American Pit Bull Terrier has a strong pleasure to please. The APBT has evoked more human emotional, rational, and irrational response than any other breed that exists today. By no means are these dogs people-haters or people-eaters. Their natural aggressive tendencies are toward other dogs and animals, not people. However if they are properly socialized with a firm, but calm, confident, consistent pack leader, they will not even be aggressive with them. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet, which is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, it is always eager to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of vitality. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death. It is usually very friendly, but has an uncanny ability to know when it needs to protect and when everything is okay. The American Pit Bull Terrier can be willful with meek owners and needs a firm hand. They are generally okay with other pets if they are raised with them from puppy hood. They are very friendly, but not recommended for most people, because most people do not understand how to properly raise and treat a dog. Problems arise when one does not understands dog psychology, seeing the dog as having human emotions, and ends up with a dog who thinks he is the boss of the house. For a smaller, not as powerful dog, people can sometimes get away with this, however, for a powerful breed, one really needs to understand and follow this concept of keeping a dog. An excellent guide to learning how to properly treat a dog is the Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan (recommended to all dog owners regardless of the breed they own). Excellent with children in the family, they have a high pain tolerance and will happily put up with rough child play. As with any breed, they should not be left alone with unfamiliar children. Originally used as fighting dogs, the powerful American Pit Bull may go for the throat of strange dogs. A minimum of training, along with the proper amount of exercise and a firm pack leader, will produce a tranquil, obedient dog. Socialize very thoroughly when young to combat aggressive tendencies and be sure to keep the dog under control when other dogs are present. Teach this dog respect for humans by not allowing it to jump up and not allowing it to enter doorways first. The humans must make the dog heel beside or behind them when walking. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. The objective in training this dog is to achieve a pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in their pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader. Lines are clearly defined and rules are set. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success. When properly trained and socialized, this is a very good dog and a great family companion. Unfortunately, some choose to promote the fighting instinct in the breed, giving it a bad name. If you would like to witness what a well-balanced Pitbull is like, tune into the Dog Whisperer and check out Daddy and Junior along with the rest of Cesar's pack of Pits. Daddy has since passed on, however there are still many episodes that air with him. R.I.P. Daddy.


http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

Quote:
The deadliest dogs

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.
Old    Jason G (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-12-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
I like pitbulls. However, pitbull homers are dillusional if they think they arent particularly dangerous. There is nothing wrong with owning a dangerous pet. People own snakes and handle snakes that can kill them. As long as they are honest about the risk and take proper precaution there is no problem. The problem is when owners treat their mambas like garder snakes and treat their pitbulls like weiner dogs. There are tons of people who have cuddly tigers as pets too. However, they arent foolish enough to believe that tigers arent dangerous just because they are THEIR pet of choice. They dont blame the media for the tigers reputation.

Pitbulls are not dangerous because of their upbringing, or their breeding, or their temperment. They are dangerous because of their physical ability. Just like a tame tiger is dangerous. An aggressive ankle biter is NOT as dangerous because it simply does not have the physical ability to overwhelm an abled adult. If I am being attacked and I can kill the threat by sitting on it, its not a threat to me, lol.

All pets will at some point excert their strength. Pitbulls arent know for being bad dogs, they are know for being to strong mentally and physically to stop them when they decide to act. Same is true for good pet tigers or chimps.

Last edited by jason_ssr; 01-12-2011 at 2:26 PM.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Ok here is a few for you too! A lot of places like to use Pits for Therapy and Service Dogs! So post whatever you would like because there is just conflicting stories. Why the hell do you care so much about my choice of dog anyways? Do you really think posting this is going to make me hate the breed and not trust them? I know my facts, you googled something real quick and posted the first link probably. I know they are great dogs, you have your opinion about them so your wasting your time posting to me.

http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/the-pit-bull.html
http://www.pitbullfriends.com/pages/...-and-facts.htm
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/pospress.html
I can post more links if you would like. Or just google Pit Bull Therapy dogs and look for yourself.
Old    Someone Else (deltahoosier)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-12-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
You can post pictures of dogs with your kids. That's fine, but, that is not a absolute. There are many, many, many reports of a pitbull hoping the fence and killing or maming a kid just playing in their own yard. That is a fact. To ignore it is dangerous. Call your insurance company and tell them you have pit bulls in the house and see what happens to your premiums.

Yes, they can be great dogs. You can not and will not convince the greater public that they are not totally without danger. Why did you get a Pitbull? Why do people get a Pitbull? I bet a dollar it is for protection. Why do people feel a Pitbull will protect them? Answer is pretty clear. In some cases getting a Pitbull for most dudes is same reason why a middle aged man gets a Corvette.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRider View Post
So post whatever you would like because there is just conflicting stories.
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRider View Post
Why the hell do you care so much about my choice of dog anyways? Do you really think posting this is going to make me hate the breed and not trust them?
that leads me to believe that you're really not reading what i or anyone else is saying. no one's trying to convince you to get rid of your dog and get a different dog. what they're trying to do is to convince you that just because you have a great loving pit, doesn't mean the stats on pit bull attacks are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRider View Post
I know my facts, you googled something real quick and posted the first link probably.
yeah, but if you notice, the links i posted weren't "anti-pit bull" sites. links you posted are pro-pit bull sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRider View Post
I know they are great dogs, you have your opinion about them so your wasting your time posting to me.
so you can't have a debate about it? i show you some stats and you react with you can't change my mind so leave me alone! awesome dude.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltahoosier View Post
Why did you get a Pitbull? Why do people get a Pitbull? I bet a dollar it is for protection. Why do people feel a Pitbull will protect them? Answer is pretty clear. In some cases getting a Pitbull for most dudes is same reason why a middle aged man gets a Corvette.
I got a Pitbull because I went to the SBCA to rescue a pet and when I saw my dog there as a puppy I fell in love with it immediately. Well you lost the Dollar because Pit Bulls are actually not that good of guard dogs. Some do I am sure but as for my sister and everyone else I know that has a Pit they got it because it is a great breed of dogs. So go ahead and assume anything you want big guy.
PS. I think Corvettes are chics cars I would never buy one of those no matter what age I was.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
There are many reports of other dogs hopping fences and killing kids too by the way!
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
so you can't have a debate about it? i show you some stats and you react with you can't change my mind so leave me alone! awesome dude.
Why do I need to debate with you? Why do I need to defend my opinion on a wakeboarding site with someone that has no real knowledge about the breed? I trust Pit Bulls and you don't, end of debate!
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
you're right, i have no "real" knowledge about the breed. i have read up on them and concluded that most of them are great dogs, but they still lead the pack (no pun) in dog attacks. that's a fact you just can't accept. but hey i should stop since you want to leave and take your ball with you.

and yeah, this is a wakeboarding site, but this is a NON-WAKEBOARDING DISCUSSION forum.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
I am confused though, why do you want to debate about this? And your right, I won't accept the facts you found because I have found facts that states it is different dogs that lead in dog bites or attacks. Different sources have different facts, one I found said Labs have the most dog bites towards humans and Pit Bulls were far down the list.
.
And NO S*** this is a non-wakeboarding discussion!!
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRider View Post
one I found said Labs have the most dog bites towards humans and Pit Bulls were far down the list.
can you post that link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRider View Post
And NO S*** this is a non-wakeboarding discussion!!
so hilarious at how bitter you're getting...over a discussion about a dog breed. (notice, i didn't say "about your dog") breath homie, it's just a discussion.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 3:22 PM Reply   
Don't call me homie I am white!
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
so only non-whites are homies? you crack me up!
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
can you post that link?
.
http://masterdogtraining.info/dog-tr...arimer-county/

Here was one I found again about Labs, let me find the other for you that I referred to.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
yes, call me cracker! LOL
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
do you know how the population breaks down by breed in larimer county? can you find a nationwide stat that doesn't have pit bulls?
Old    Hate N Pain (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
Luke, you consistently say that Pits are great family dogs and thats true but they routinely attack non family members and other dogs. They do so at a much higher rate per population than any other breed. The big thig is understanding that they are potentially dangerous and that potential is higher than other dogs when you factor in two things: 1) statistically they attack more (again per population) and 2) when they attack they are capable of devistation. Those are facts not hyperbole. The only thing I'd like to change your mind about is that you have a potentially very unsafe dog.

I'd argue that pits are great guard dogs. People see them and are *****ing afraid of them...hmm wonder why?
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
by the way luke, i must commend you for not clipping your dogs' ears.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-12-2011, 7:01 PM Reply   
That one wasn't the original website I found. It was from 2008.

Thank you, I'm not a fan of people cropping dogs ears. I like the floppy ears
Old    Elizabeth LaMarca (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-12-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
I agree. Pits look 100% better without the cropped ears/tail.
Old     (jabilitator)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-13-2011, 12:20 AM Reply   
...

Last edited by jabilitator; 01-13-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old    Brett W (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-13-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
Even nice dogs can snap if they get hurt. If you had a toddler who tripped and fell on or stomped on a real sweet pit bull's paw, when that dog snaps, it's most likely not going to just nip. If it decides to bite, you'll probably have a kid with serious permanent damage. I don't think that's the case with a dog like a lab.

Different breeds have different traits. That's why some are used by police, some for hunting etc. Pits are a more aggressive breed. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of really great pits out there that will never bite anyone, but it's one of the breed's traits, in general. Because of the extensive damage/death they are known to cause when attacking dogs and people, I personally wouldn't even consider one for a family pet ever. It's not worth the risk with so many other breeds out there that aren't generally aggressive. Each to his own, though.
Old    John Anderson (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-13-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
It's all over. Charges were dropped by thte judge.
Old    Scott (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-13-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
We have a pit/mastiff mix and rot mix that my wife rescued a few years before I met her. She has raised them since they were both puppies and they are the sweetest dogs. I have never seen them act in an aggressive manner towards another human. The rot mix has some problems with smaller dogs so we make sure to keep them away. Yes, I think they are great dogs, but they still scare the ***** out of me of what they are capable of. I think we have taken every precaution necessary to ensure that they can not get out of the yard. While I really doubt anything will ever happen I still increased our umbrella policy substantially just in case
Attached Images
 
Old    Trace (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-13-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
A lab or any big dog is easily strong enough do permanent damage or even kill a child. Little dogs can do permanent damage with one bite.

One of our little 15 lb dogs bit a friend's kid, totally unprovoked, on the effing eyebrow, and very nearly drew blood. He was lucky I wasn't home at the time. Our other little dog was mostly blind, and bit my kid in the face, although not as badly, because she startled the dog. We rehomed both of them within days of the incidents.

Animals' development goes mostly into physical prowess for defense and finding food, whereas humans have evolved to rely more on our intelligence. A chimp is about the same weight as a human, but is FIVE TIMES stronger. Everyone knows what great pets chimps make. I won't post any pics in response to the "but look how cute my dog is" pics, but feel free to google up some images of chimp and pit attack victims.

Last edited by trace; 01-13-2011 at 8:10 AM.
Old    Elizabeth LaMarca (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-13-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
We have two puggles (pug and beagle mixes) and my three year old annoys them constantly. He pulls on them, chases them into a corner and hugs them, has bopped them on the head, has taken their food bowl away when eating, etc.. despite being taught from the beginning about the proper way to treat animals. The dogs in turn lick him on his face, jump into his bed to snuggle with him and even go with us to check on him at night.. to make sure their baby is okay. I can't imagine what it would take for one of them to ever snap at him or hurt him. I hope I never know.

On a side note.. my cats don't give a crap that he's a baby. Since he was old enough to stand up, they've scratched him.. even on his face.. if he pulled their tail or anything of the sort. Now he sticks to tormenting the dogs.
Old    Luke Jones (WRider)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-13-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettw View Post
Even nice dogs can snap if they get hurt. If you had a toddler who tripped and fell on or stomped on a real sweet pit bull's paw, when that dog snaps, it's most likely not going to just nip. If it decides to bite, you'll probably have a kid with serious permanent damage. I don't think that's the case with a dog like a lab.

Because of the extensive damage/death they are known to cause when attacking dogs and people, I personally wouldn't even consider one for a family pet ever. It's not worth the risk with so many other breeds out there that aren't generally aggressive. Each to his own, though.
A Lab can easily bite a childs face and cause permanent damage. There is an attack story for every dog you Google. There are bad dogs in every breed, not just Pits.

I guess I am a risk taker then because I couldn't think of a better family dog!

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:17 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us