Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-11-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
I have surfed for about 5 years now and have new board feaver. I have owned a blue lake, black pearl yellow,yellow loogy,sweetspot, and currently ride a shredstixx comp1. I love how the comp 1 surfs, but after 1 year it is completely trashed. Cracks dings ect. Does the Flyboy surf completely different from the Shred? Does it pearl easily? Or should I stick with Shredstixx and get an Elevation and be super carefull with it? I weigh about 160.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
How tall are you? The flyboy doesn't pearl a lot, IMHO. Not only does RJ ride it, an experienced amateur, but we have watched several people ride it behind our boat. We also watched Chase Hazen ride it for the first time and we have video of it. The issue we saw with the Flyboy is if you are taller and have a wide stance, it may pearl alot for you. When Chase rode it, he has a monster wide stance, he pearled almost instantly and said, "wow, it wants to dive" but then moved his front foot back some and never had the issue again. It was amazing to watch how good he was at adjusting to a completely new board.

RJ had the same problem, but not the giftedness to adjust so quickly. We read some articles on the flyboy site and remembered that the stepped rocker is unique on that board, and there is an abrupt rocker change toward the front. If you put your weight of your front foot in front of that apex, it pearls a lot. RJ is a bit taller than james with a wider stance, and so he adjusted his traction back which brought his front foot back. After that, he has not had the problem AT ALL. No more than with his TWP JWSM, which is NOT a pearler from anyones account, as far as I know.

All that to say, if you are over 5'10" demo the board before you buy it, or wait for the 4'7". My opinion of course. RJ has ridden the Verner comp, and the SS comp, they are very different boards than the flyboy. But it was a while a go he rode the comps, so probably should leave out his thoughts on that, someone else can fill that in.

Here is some more info on the stance issue and stuff:

http://wake9.com/community/entry.php...boy-really-fly

As far as strength, the flyboy is very strong. We don't baby it at all, nor any of our boards. Time will tell better, we got ours in the beginning of august, but have put about 60 hours on our boat since then. No issues, no dents. You just have to hold that thing in your hand once, and you will be sold that its a leap forward. It is so friggin light. And because of the way its made, its not glass surrounding foam. Ask Jeff more about that "composite sandwich" or read about it here:

http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Its not indestructable, I know James has damaged his board, but the dude is an animal. ;-) It feels stronger and more dent resistant than any other performance board we have demoed or owned, but time will tell better.

Last edited by ragboy; 09-11-2010 at 2:45 PM.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-11-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info ragboy. I am only 5"6, but i like to ride with a wide stance. Thats why i think that the sweetspot never worked for me. The new flyboy is listed at 4"8 in there info, the old one i think was listed at 4"6 This might make a difference. The shred stixx has a diamond nose and it seems like i can allways save it if i pearl it. Awsome pictures of RJ by the way. On another subject , my buddy bought a new RZ2 after talking to you and we cant quite get it dialed in. What is your everyday set up? My malibu is making a longer and taller wave.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
On the sweetspot, I have heard the same pearling thing from several people. We also demoed one, and RJ kept pearling. I don't think it was a stance issue. I am sure if you rode it long enough, you could work it out, because others are pretty darn successful with it.

At 5'6", I would guess the current flyboy would be just fine for you. IMHO, you should still try to demo it before buying, especially with the price. I know that can be tough and not always possible.

In this video we are running pro stock ballast, with front all the way full on surf side. There was one 150 lb person in the front also. We also had 250 lb under hull rear locker filled on surf side, and 750 lb sac filled on top of it. I would guess only 500-550 lbs of water in there, since it doesn't fit right. We had LOTS of people weight though, frank and I in the boat. When frank rode, I added 2 fat bricks on top of the 750.

I will post some more video either tonight or tomorrow of our wake yesterday. We only had me and my little kids in the boat. So comparable to a normal family, or a couple of 200 lb guys and a few kids. The difference is we now stuff a jumbo 1100 lb sac in the rear locker instead of the 750, it probably gets 700-800 in it. The key is little to no weight on the opposite side, so that the rubrail is kissing the water. You can see that clearly in the new video, which I will post here for you later.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
The flyboy is 4'6" and will be next year as well. It was a mistake in the Inland catalog. There will only be one size next year. But the 4'6" would be the right size for you anyways. The flyboy would be the next board for you to try. It's super durable and I have seen a lot of progression happen on that board this year.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
OK, I was going to edit something together, but I am heading out and I just threw up some RAW clips for you. Want to make sure you get dialed in. These are 1100 lb jumbo on top of 250 in hull tank, 400 in front on surf side. Regular is about 600-650 lbs of people weight on surf side, on goofy, about 500 on surf side. So goofy was weighted a bit less. The girl on the regular side surfing is 5'6" tall, wake was above her hips, almost to waist when she was in lowest part of wake. She just learned this day, yesterday. First time surfing. The goofy side I filmed without rider. The aspect of each clip is different, but same camera, same lens. Both of these videos do a good job showing the rubrail on the water. But you can see in regular, the boat is deeper in.

Sorry about the big ugly dude in the green shirt. But you can see when I whip the camera around, not much in the boat.

Last edited by ragboy; 09-11-2010 at 5:05 PM.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-11-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
Great pictures ragboy! We were running a 750 instead of the stock bag in the right rear 10.6 speed front right stock full taps about 6 What is your speed and taps setting,and are you using the front stock bag full?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
Taps was at 2, I can go from 1-3, but over that, it isn't very good on my boat. I am going to check over the winter, it seems like my taps may not be adjusted right. Its not like my Ve at all. I have had no use for taps above 3 in any situation, and on the Ve I had the whole range. Almost like 2-3 should be more like 6-7, and I should have more down range. I could be wrong.

We are running 11.6 in the videos above, we sometimes ride up to 12, but usually 11.6 or 11.8. I haven't tested with an accurate gps, but did test with an iphone gps app, and seemed to be pretty accurate. Sorry I forgot to mention speed and taps.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2010, 11:57 PM Reply   
Oh, forgot. We have the pro ballast, which is 2 tanks up front, each with 400 on each side. So we are filling only the surf side. If you have the big horse shoe sack up front, try filling it all the way, or maybe 4-500 lbs or so. The key is make sure that rub rail is just on the water.

Last, make sure you are filling the rear to the point where water just starts to fill the small sack. That way you know the IN HULL tank below is full. It is 250 lbs, but VERY efficient weight, since is it far back, low, and out. Here is a pic of that tank. You can see it in this pic, in lower left corner.

100_0117 by wake9, on Flickr

Here is the next pic, you can see the flooring put above it. And you can see sac on the other side.

IMG_0054.JPG by wake9, on Flickr

I am working with a dealer and FlyHigh, and I have submitted a design for a custom sac that replace the stock 350 upper sac. It will just slot in, and you will replace the fittings in same place. It will fill the entire locker, and go up either side. It should hold close to 1000+ lbs and because it will use the tige fittings and all, be completely automated. Stay tuned to wake9, I will post video when we test it. I can't wait to get it.
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       09-12-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
.... I haven't tested with an accurate gps, but did test with an iphone gps app, and seemed to be pretty accurate ...
No dis intended.

I'm surprized that your boat doesn't have GPS speed control from the factory.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-12-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
On the sweetspot, I have heard the same pearling thing from several people. We also demoed one, and RJ kept pearling. I don't think it was a stance issue. I am sure if you rode it long enough, you could work it out, because others are pretty darn successful with it.
I actually found this to be a stance issue. I use to pearl my Sweet Spot all of the time, then the guys at Towanza suggested that I change my stance a little (I used to ride with a very wide stance). Towanza suggested that you put your back foot on the kick plate and your front foot on or just in front of the "black wave" in the middle of the traction pad. Ever since I tried this, I dont pearl the board. If you ride with your front foot much farther than an 1-2 inches in front of the "black wave" on the traction pad, you tend to pearl the Sweet Spot.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
@dennis I am not sure what the speedo is using, paddle wheel or what. My Ve has almost 600 hours and never broke or anything. I have never really thought of it since all I ever worried about was the speed on my boat. But it does help when sharing speeds. On the tigeowners forum, it seems that others have also checked against GPS and found them to be very accurate. FWIW.

@jkw It may be, we rode it for an hour or 2 the week before the festival, and didn't give it that much time. However, RJ did actually ride with Mark Sher on his SS. He said the board had a tendency to pearl, and I don't think said anything about stance, or RJ probably would have tried to change up. That was in 8/2009 though. Not saying its a bad board, some boards favor different styles, and for RJs style, he likes to accelarate by weighting his front foot down the line and shooting up the wave. Maybe now that he has dealt with the "stance" issue, we will grab one from CMS and give it another try.
Old     (wakeridercwb)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-27-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
I started riding last year and im looking for a year board. I dont know what to consider myself by skill level but i have my 3s down and can do some other tricks. What would be a good board for me? I have been looking and inland surfers but i dont know since i am more of a skim style rider.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-28-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
If you like skim boards more, take a look at the Calibrated boards as well as the inland boards. I know at the Polar Bear event we did, everyone seemed to really like the Calibrated boards. You really get a lot of feedback when you watch a bunch of different riders try out a ton of boards. Where are you located?
Old     (wakeridercwb)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-28-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
I am located in the california bay area. Thanks also for the suggestions ill check out those boards.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-28-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
I am not sure what their stock level is this time of year, but CMS (California Marine Sports) in Suisun City will probably have the best on hand selection. Mitch will be a great help, and he is a skim rider.
Old    surfdad            12-29-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Last time we were down to CMS they had these 4 Calibrated's. My understanding is that CMS is closed this week for the holidays.
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-29-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
X 2 for CMS I scored a new shred stixx for the wife for Christmas off e-bay from them for $299.99 they were great to deal with and shipped real fast so the board made it under the tree. there is also some great buys on triple x boards on e-bay now as well just enter wakesurfer in your search.....................H
Attached Images

Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-29-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
h20king, that is one fine looking board. I know she will be very happy with it.