Articles
   
       
       
Pics/Video
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old    Geoffrey Isringhausen (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-22-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
Are sooooo gay hahaha... Anyone else agree with me? Those are the worst ads I've ever seen, they actually make me hate Hyperlite more than I already do. Bad advertising is worse than no advertising.
Old    mojo            09-22-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
while it has a negative effect on you it might have a positive one on someone else. it gets you focused on nyperlite so i guess that's what they are going after anyway. it reminds me of some other tv commercial. i don't remember what it was though.
Old    Randy Scagliotti (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-22-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
So your new to this board (4 posts) you ride a Ronix board and you just felt the need to bash hyperlite's ad Lame...
Old    Geoffrey Isringhausen (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-22-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
Sorry, well if your son rides for them gotta prop em.... I work in marketing and it's such a lame ad but I can't tell if it's because I hate hyperlite or if it's actually that bad...


CWB's ad: STOP ASKING IF A BOARD BOARD POPS HARD! THANKS CHIEF! Lol now that is a funny/relevant ad to the demographic looking at this site...
Old    doctor octagon (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-22-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
Exactly what I have been talking about. You believe it is a valuable use of your time to come on here and start a thread with no point other than to criticize other fellow riders and other industry people? You say you are 24 years old, but this is middle-school girl behavior. You never know who is listening, and there have been sponsored riders in the past who have actually gotten in trouble with their sponsors for coming on here and demonstrating ugly behavior, thus reflecting poorly on their companies. And make no mistake, people could care less if you are sponsored right now, because it's not that big a deal, and for most people it is short lived. Lots of us have or have had sponsorships. So enjoy your free gear, enjoy your checks if you are getting them. But why come on here and announce to the world that you are either a narcissist or else a 24-year-old sponsored rider guy with the emotional brain of a middle school girl?
Old    G Q (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-22-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
I wouldn't call those ads "gay", except for maybe the one with Rusty lol, but those hyperite ads annoyed the heck out of me! They were so low budget, repetitive and unoriginal. So what? I gotta have an annoying ad flashing on my screen cuz the combined forces of their marketing team could not not assemble a trace of good judgment? I hate hyperlite but to be fair they do make quality products.
Old    mojo            09-22-2010, 10:39 PM Reply   
trust the suits
Old    David Williams (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-23-2010, 2:27 AM Reply   
Wow, the irony. Trashing one of the companies that finances WakeWorld and enables you to be able to read and post on here for free. I'm sure your "sponsor" is proud and ready to give you a raise for being such an ambassador of goodwill. Now there's a "sponsored rider" that's thinking about his future in this industry!

Criticizing the ad campaign is one thing. We're all entitled to our opinion even if expressing it is going to limit your future employment options in a very small industry. However, spreading a Hyperlite hate message is just lame.

P.S. Whether you like the ads or not (I think they're great), I'm stoked that Hyperlite has spent the resources to put together an ad campaign that involves most of it's riders (over 50 ads) in a creative way and, as a result, it has been a very successful campaign for them. Thank you Hyperlite for both supporting WakeWorld and its readers and for putting so much effort into your ad campaign!!

Last edited by wakeworld; 09-23-2010 at 2:41 AM.
Old    LEE DANEILS (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-23-2010, 4:36 AM Reply   
thank you dave....
Old    scott firman (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2010, 4:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Dave. Very well said. Just like the music biz. You trash on someone, your career is finished. I am certain that the word will get back to his sponsor and his career will be over. But hopefully he will learn from this.
Old    Ian Brown (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-23-2010, 5:23 AM Reply   
I don't understand how you can "hate" a wakeboard company.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-23-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
i ride a cwb a liquid force and a hyperlite. all of these boards have different purposes. i think all these companies work very hard to promote their products. these ads are aimed at the youth of america and other kids around the world who see their heros in videos and on tv. then their hero says i am and i ride. they are making a statement and want the youth[who are very easily influenced]to want to ride what their heros do.you have to get people to try your product before they will become loyal to it. i'm 51 old school if you will, but i'm open minded enough to look for the good and positive in the ads. like dave said they provide the means for you to express your opinions.
Old    Antonio Vega (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-23-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
I am Tony Vega, and I ride Hyperlite....
Old    Mattgettel (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-23-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
maybe i will put "Sponsored Rider" in my career. I mean after all my friends pay for my gas. that is a sponsorship right?
Old    Brian (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-23-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Ok I have to weigh in on this, I work for a very large Advertising agency in Austin and work directly with digital ads such as this. Personally I am stoked to see Hyperlite spending the money to create a rich media banner campaign as well as have the insight to know they are placing on a message board and to not create an expandable banner to interfere with content here. Something that several fortune 500 companies get wrong and something my company learned the hard way. And Geoffry_Isringhausen if you worked in Marketing you would realize that just a small % of people that buy wakeboards actually know what they are buying as far as fin configuration, rocker and shape, few people outside of this board actually test ride boards to find their right one and I would argue that not that many people on here actually do that. It is widely known that biggest sellers for pro models is the pros that ride them. Perfect example is the Hyperlite parks board a few years ago. That board was ridiculously hard to ride and very few people actually liked it. However the board sold, how many beginners did we see with the Parks board just because it had his name on it. While this ad may not speak to you, it speaks a majority of their target. If you know boards and what you like you are going to buy what your going to buy no matter what ad you see. So why waste money talking to you if you know what you like already. Personally while the ad my not be the best design and copy, It is smart so way to go Hyperlite.
Old    RileyBangerter (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-23-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
One more person that doesn't realize how small the wake scene truly is!
Old    Ben B (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-23-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
The ads got you talking about it didn't it? Even though its negative for you, I'm sure its positive for others. Advertising goal is to market a product effectively and bring its attention to the masses. Be it through its creativity, uniqueness, or "gayness" as you put it. Point is it's got people talking; sounds like a successful campaign to me.

Well put Dave.
Old    Sparky Jay (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-23-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
His profile pic looks photo-shopped too...lol
Old    C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
I think those campaigns are pretty cool. But I agree that the CWB ad about the "pop" is hilarious. I can only imagine that Steve Bates would come up with something like that.
Old    Ben B (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-23-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I think those campaigns are pretty cool. But I agree that the CWB ad about the "pop" is hilarious. I can only imagine that Steve Bates would come up with something like that.
Definitely had to be Steve Bates. CWB not only has a good team of riders, but I'd say are easily the most marketed team out there. Every one of those riders supports their brand and their sponsors soooo hard. The life jacket psa, I'm guessing that was Bates too. ingenious
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-23-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I think those campaigns are pretty cool. But I agree that the CWB ad about the "pop" is hilarious. I can only imagine that Steve Bates would come up with something like that.
i thought he left cwb?
Old    David Williams (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-23-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Yeah, those are pure Bates and I love them. That guy is super creative the funny. Plus, he gets what the general wakeboarding public is looking for. Joe, his role at CWB seems to change on a daily basis, but he still does lots of stuff for them. He and his 7D were a permanent fixture in their booth at Expo.
Old    C.I.E..... Evan (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-23-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
It got you to start a thread about us talking about HL. That to me = a successful marketing campaign.

IMO... Bates is the man. His ad's and video's are hillarious. Just what CWB needed. That pop tagline had me rolling.
Old    Teleprompted Anthems (TelepromptedAnthems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-23-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
It got you to start a thread about us talking about HL. That to me = a successful marketing campaign.
Those banners are like the Brooke Geery of wakeboarding advertising.
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
The any publicity is good publicity thought has been beaten to death, and will soon work it's way out of acceptable thought in general outside of your Famous Socialite. As well as it is not applicable to all situations, and this would be one. HL, Slingshot, Shredtown, Alliance/Brooke, all have people saying that negative press is good press, when in fact, it shines a light of negativity, and casts a doubt that will likely outlast the immediate/intense attention that the negative publicity brought.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-23-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
to me rewritten was the best advertising hyperlite has ever done. if you watch it you will be impressed.
Old    Henry Gates (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-23-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
Hahahahaha
Old    Mattgettel (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-23-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
now i have to find this and watch it.
Old    Ben B (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-23-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
The any publicity is good publicity thought has been beaten to death, and will soon work it's way out of acceptable thought in general outside of your Famous Socialite. As well as it is not applicable to all situations, and this would be one. HL, Slingshot, Shredtown, Alliance/Brooke, all have people saying that negative press is good press, when in fact, it shines a light of negativity, and casts a doubt that will likely outlast the immediate/intense attention that the negative publicity brought.
Curious, how do you see this as negative press? this thread is one persons opinion on HL ads. Not negative press. people are chiming in defending hyperlites products and ads, so if anything its positive press. I'll be one of the first to say that i'm not the biggest fan of hyperlite, but its because i think other companies' boards ride better for me. Not because i think their ads are "sooooo gay." I don't think this really has anything to do with negative press, in the least bit. Every ad campaign is going to have people that dislike the ads, this is just another one of them. Negative press, i think of as "______ is using a sweat shop to produce their products". obviously an extreme, but you get what I mean.
Old    A-dub (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
Right, I was meaning the general thought that any press is good press. I realize I stated this particular instance is negative on HL, but you're right, not really.

In the end this is exactly the market Hyperlite wants, Why do you ride Hyperlite? Because so and so does..... That's the market they have, and continue to cater to
Old    mojo            09-23-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
rewritten sucks so bad. worst video i've seen since scrubs of the south
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-23-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
why do they do it?because it works people buy golf equipment like tiger so they can play better. do they? i doubt it , but if they think they do they will keep on buying it. i bought a hyperlite roam to improve my edgeing technique i think it makes you more aware of your body position. will it make me better? i don't know but it sure is fun to ride.
Old    Seahawks #1 Fan Robert T (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-23-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
scrubs of the south. is that a movie about people from alabama?
Old    Ben B (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-24-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Right, I was meaning the general thought that any press is good press. I realize I stated this particular instance is negative on HL, but you're right, not really.

In the end this is exactly the market Hyperlite wants, Why do you ride Hyperlite? Because so and so does..... That's the market they have, and continue to cater to
Exactly, nail on the head right there. Their simple campaign of putting a high amount of their riders in their ads, is going to sell things for them. There's a fair amount of the crowd out there that does exactly what you said; buys a wakeboard because so and so does. Sure a different board might be better for them, but some people are going to buy boards because they see their favorite rider riding it. It's easy as that
Old    Mike K (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-24-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Worst way to sell your product is by bad mouthing the competition.
Old    Wacko Jacko (melan_mobe)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-24-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Give dis mo***** some credit tho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BhhZ...eature=related
Old    mojo            09-24-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
in reality most money comes from the lower end stuff for these companies. i think it would be better if it was "i am jd webb. i ride the b-side." but im sure it still works for them. i miss the old hyperlite team, but jd, jimmy, and murray are still rad.
Old    Dave (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-24-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
well since no one has said it yet... Welcome to WakeWorld Dude...
Old    Geoffrey Isringhausen (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-25-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
P.S. Whether you like the ads or not (I think they're great), I'm stoked that Hyperlite has spent the resources to put together an ad campaign that involves most of it's riders (over 50 ads) in a creative way and, as a result, it has been a very successful campaign for them. Thank you Hyperlite for both supporting WakeWorld and its readers and for putting so much effort into your ad campaign!!
Yeah those ads were pretty awesome, you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
I wouldn't call those ads "gay", except for maybe the one with Rusty lol, but those hyperite ads annoyed the heck out of me! They were so low budget, repetitive and unoriginal. So what? I gotta have an annoying ad flashing on my screen cuz the combined forces of their marketing team could not not assemble a trace of good judgment? I hate hyperlite but to be fair they do make quality products.
Agreed and agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgettel View Post
maybe i will put "Sponsored Rider" in my career. I mean after all my friends pay for my gas. that is a sponsorship right?
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
His profile pic looks photo-shopped too...lol
Thanks, that's a compliment I guess lol. My friend was driving a double and we were going way too fast and it shot me higher than I intended to go and just grabbed the frame out of the video lol. Here is a vid from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J6K2...eature=related


Quote:
Originally Posted by melan_mobe View Post
Thanks man, it's all for fun right!?
Old    PAUL (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-26-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
So your new to this board (4 posts) you ride a Ronix board and you just felt the need to bash hyperlite's ad Lame...
So what...

I'll tell you what's lame to ME, it's bashing this kid for stating his opinion.....even if it's not what the majority agrees with.
Old    Ben B (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-26-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnichols View Post
So what...

I'll tell you what's lame to ME, it's bashing this kid for stating his opinion.....even if it's not what the majority agrees with.
Lets go back to the OP here. "does anyone else agree with me?". People are answering his question, for the most part nobody's bashing his opinion on not liking the commercial, they're just disagreeing. I don't see anything "lame" about that.

Geoff, nice riding dude. both snow and wake. that double up really booted ya
Old    Geoffrey Isringhausen (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-27-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveronix199 View Post
well since no one has said it yet... Welcome to WakeWorld Dude...
Lol thanks, feeling the love! The main part of the site has long been a site I check daily, but just recently joined the forum. I saw your name has Ronix in it, what kind of board do you ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbuchholz View Post
Lets go back to the OP here. "does anyone else agree with me?". People are answering his question, for the most part nobody's bashing his opinion on not liking the commercial, they're just disagreeing. I don't see anything "lame" about that.

Geoff, nice riding dude. both snow and wake. that double up really booted ya
Thanks, Ben... Yeah I got super lucky I didn't fall on that, definitely should have lol!!
Old    McGavin (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
"Wow, the irony. Trashing one of the companies that finances Wake World and enables you to be able to read and post on here for free"

It seems like a lot of censorship going on lately. All he said was that he felt the ad was "gay". I happen to agree, but props to Hyperlite for supporting the site. Does that mean that we can no longer give a truthful review of the companies that advertise here?
Old    scott firman (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-28-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
censorship is not the issue here. I think it is tack. Go ahead and say you don't like the ad, but give a good reason why. Calling it a word says nothing. It just comes across immature and unprofessional. Someday if you did become pro, hyperlite might be looking to ad a new member to their team. They note this behavior and will skip over you. As a business owner I know I would do the same. When you have an opinion of something, if you are going to criticize it, back it up with why with reasons. Nit just a single derogatory word. What if someone said the exact same thing about the board you ride. You love the board, you know it's good. Just the graphics happened to be awful that model year. You would defend that board because you know the shape and quality are good. I hope this helps. I like Hyperlite the best personally. I also own LF, Ronix, CWB. Hyperlite Murray shape works best for me. BTW pros read these threads all the time. If you compete and you are trying to get noticed, they might remember this thread too. Just try to be polite and remember that others on here obviously disagree with your comments. I think from my point of view is they are trying to state this company has riders invested in their product like Ronix and Company wakeboards in how those two brands are rider owned.
Old    Geoffrey Isringhausen (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-28-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucktoerider View Post
censorship is not the issue here. I think it is tack. Go ahead and say you don't like the ad, but give a good reason why. Calling it a word says nothing. It just comes across immature and unprofessional. Someday if you did become pro, hyperlite might be looking to ad a new member to their team. They note this behavior and will skip over you. As a business owner I know I would do the same. When you have an opinion of something, if you are going to criticize it, back it up with why with reasons. Nit just a single derogatory word. What if someone said the exact same thing about the board you ride. You love the board, you know it's good. Just the graphics happened to be awful that model year. You would defend that board because you know the shape and quality are good. I hope this helps. I like Hyperlite the best personally. I also own LF, Ronix, CWB. Hyperlite Murray shape works best for me. BTW pros read these threads all the time. If you compete and you are trying to get noticed, they might remember this thread too. Just try to be polite and remember that others on here obviously disagree with your comments. I think from my point of view is they are trying to state this company has riders invested in their product like Ronix and Company wakeboards in how those two brands are rider owned.
There is no way for me to become pro wakeboarder and you should be able to tell this from my video lol.. It's just for fun and that's it. I have a small part in a pro video this year, Tick Tock, here is the trailer for it http://vimeo.com/15317208 I feel pretty sorry for everyone who is out there on the scene down there in Orlando riding so well and wanting to make it to a Danny, Phil, Rusty status, because it's just so hard nowadays since there are just so many good guys out there. Austin Hair is a guy who is doing it right, look at everything he does... Interviews, lessons, videos, great KOW finishes and most importantly he's personable and the consumer can relate to him. That is a good represenative. It's almost impossible to standout from the crowd when everyone is so good though, it can't just be your riding anymore... It has to be frustrating for other pro's that Harley and is so good now and at such a higher level than anyone else lol. He's continuing to progress at an astronomically rapid pace it's just awesome and makes me want to go out and ride. It's sweet for all of us to watch as fans and great for the sport, but it must be tough if you're out there on the grind! Btw back to the point of the thread, Hyperlite = Awesomeness. I heard they have some good bindings coming out this year that have a romovable boot you can walk around in..
Old    Ben B (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-28-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Isringhausen View Post
I heard they have some good bindings coming out this year that have a romovable boot you can walk around in..
Oh man......dont stoke that fire.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2012 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us