Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
What are you guys using to light up your speakers?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Plexi glass cut discs.

then:

http://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips

or

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...Fled_prods.htm
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
AHH yes I am very familiar with Oznium I have spent lots of $$$ there already. I ordered 4 high intensity spots and 4 flood lights cost 150.00 and just has bright as shadow castors and soo easy to install. Look into their Piranha bars, so bright and so easy I have done my entire boat just not sure about speaker rings. Do you have pics of your plexi attached to the leds?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
I actually haven't done it myself yet. I have spoken to a guy locally here that will cut the rings for me. From what I make of it you need rings cut the diameter of your speaker with an inside cut out that will leave room for the LED's to fit without interferring with the magnet on the speaker. From there you could use glue or similar adhesive to attach the LED's to the rings. The issue I have thought about is getting the right lenght strip and inside diameter on the plexi so it makes it all the way around the inside ring so there is no gap in light. Most strips are 6" or 12" minimum.
Old     (Tmannsx80)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-01-2010, 12:33 AM Reply   
Dont know if you ever found led rings but these were cut for me from sac and I am using oznium leds......Photobucket Liquid Trends Northbay
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-17-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
i would like more info on this as well. this will be my winter project when i get the boat out of the water and am trying to get my duck in a row. i understand the plexi and led but is there a good source to get them together. i am worried about length also. wiring is no problem for me but is it just a on off deal or i think i have seen some that beat with the music. what type of control would this take?

any info would be great.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-17-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
I to have been thinking of doing this while doing research I found bullet lines is offering them already built for many of the more popular speakers like wet sounds bullet and krypt and cup holders as well but no pics or price yet on their sight
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-17-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
i also found this site

http://www.earmarkmarine.com/

they have the plexi rings but don't know if they include led lights.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
Yes,
I have inside knowledge that all those rings on Earmark's site include the LEDs as priced.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-17-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Yes,
I have inside knowledge that all those rings on Earmark's site include the LEDs as priced.

David
Earmark Marine
well i would hope so. the rings look great.

can you tell me about powering the rings, is it only a on off option or is there ways to do this to the music.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
Simple on/off in a variety of colors or RGB lights that when controlled by a module can create an infinite range of colors and track the music also.
Plus, lit-up amp panels are prefabricated for a number of contemporary amplifiers even though all those parts are not up.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
David, I shot you a PM
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       08-17-2010, 9:51 PM Reply   
David....how are they powered? Do you have to run wires to your main battery? Kind of new at the light thing but am looking at ordering some from the site.

Thanks,

Ken
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-18-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
Livorsi has cup holders with light rings already installed for $26 each...
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/led.htm
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Fagtastic. This is like running neons under your car. Might as well toss a huge APC sticker and a Honda emblem on the side of your boat too.

Don't forget to top off the package with some neon valve stem lights for your trailer!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
I have some from Empire Hydro sports. Super easy and they are made specific to each speaker setup. You can get a them for Wetsounds, Rockfords, and all JL audio marine speakers here http://empirehydrosports.com/category.sc?categoryId=3
these guys are cool and easy to work with. Highly recommend them.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-18-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Ken,
I'll update our site with some of the basics but in the meantime... LED rings and other LED accent lights pull very little current so usually a single 18-ga 2-cond wire to the destination will supply multiple lights. However this would not apply to the more powerful underwater lights. You can use an existing and open switch at the helm if available or add one from a variety of switches. You'll fuse the supply at a 12-volt source, usually the helm power buss or factory fuse panel. When you order an in-line 16-ga fuse holder we automatically include the appropriate size fuse to match the number and type of LED fixtures, usually 2 to 7.5 amps per circuit. Assembly (if applicable) and installation instructions are included. Its so basic there really isn't more to share. Just email me if I've overlooked anything.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-18-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Just curious, why are these rings so expensive? Is it the tooling for the ring? LED's are dirt cheap out of china (eBay), plexiglass is cheap too (eBay)? They look cool and I would like to have them in my boat but unless I'm missing something I would think that with some basic wood working tools/skills you could make these rings yourself... For 6 cup holders and 6 interior speakers it would be about $875 plus shipping. I just put a bunch of LED's in my boat, accent strips in the gunnels and coolers, and lights in the cup holder bases and spent less than $30. Can someone educate me?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
I know the guys at Empire Hydro Sports and talked with them on how they make them. There is a fair amount of cost in the tooling and the RnD to make each one. But at 99 bucks a pair they are not all that bad IMO. They really look cool and I am not sure if you could make them in the finished look that these have (or at least I couldnt do it free hand thats for sure...)