Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-21-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
So after working on Toe 5's, one of my abs started just killing me. A week later and no riding, I threw one raley and felt it pull again. Just killing me now.

Anyway - Anybody else ever had something like this? It's tender to the touch and I can feel it whenever I try to crunch forward. It' in the top of the abdomen right at the base of the ribs.

Also, what can I do for it/how long till I'm back to riding hard again? Getting bored cruising on the roam and surfing in the chop!
Old    ScottRobinson            06-21-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Shouldn't you be working!!!!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
I got this way back when I first started learning backrolls on the cable. The center of my chest even started to bruise from the internal injuries. It only took a couple weeks to go away and then whatever got ripped up inside was stronger then before.
Old     (apache8093)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Hey, I'm no expert but I do know that aggravating muscle strains usually prolongs healing time, best bet is to relax for a bit to heal with some gentle stretching to aid in the healing process. After that you'll be good to go all out. Check this site for some additional info: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/spra.../abdominal.htm
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-21-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Man, I just had this happen to me yesterday when I looped out on a half cab off axis 180, tried to do the hang on for dear life thing, sliding on my back hoping to pull it out and get back up (stupid). In the process I got jerked and pulled something in my abdomen on my left side.

I had a strain 2 summers ago and was out for 2 weeks. It started feeling better after a week, but when I tried to ride it just made it worse. Seems for a mild case you need to wait it out 2-3 weeks or your just going to keep aggravating/tearing it each time it is under stress. Try to do nothing or the least amount of activity you can stand for 2 weeks. Light stretching does seem to help flexibility. That muscle is torn and needs to heal my friend, so does mine and I feel for you.

I feel my injury is due to lack of off season training. I haven't worked out in like 3 years and do little to nothing in the winter.

Best of luck on recovery.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-21-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
Guess I get to kick back and work on my driving skills then!
An yes Scott. I should be working!
Old     (smithlsv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
I've done this on tantrums. My stomach turned black and blue and I had to roll out of the bed. Nothing you can do besides let it heel. I was out for almost a month.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-21-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
I tore my Ab , I would rest for a couple weeks I kept riding and riding until I couldnt even move anymore and now I only have 5 abs.
Old    ScottRobinson            06-21-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
lol...... yes you should be working damnit !!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-21-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
yup very common injury, annoying because it starts out as a little nagging pain, but if u dont rest properly it can get bad. Best bet is 2 weeks off.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-21-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
Yeah, rode a little tonight, took it really easy and am icing right now (feel like a bum lounging on the couch with an ice pack on my gut), and told my buddies this was the last set for a couple weeks. Now I just have to stick to that. gonna suck, but could be worse, I could be like Jesse!
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
i've also done it with tantrums, hope it feels better man definitely not a good time
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-22-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
I have a wild idea, but maybe it will do some good. I had some whey protein with bcaa's and creatine in it - left over from past winter when I decided i would work out, lasted a week then quit. I've been taking this since Sunday in hopes that it will help the muscle recover quicker. May or may not work? Here is what I'm taking and its pretty inexpensive. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortr...otein/10322406

I'm not a body builder, but found this article ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mma_...upplements.htm ) geared toward recovery for MMA fighters that mentions use of all the supplements included in the drink mix above. I figure it can't hurt, so I'm giving it a try. Since Sunday I have noticed significantly less soreness and have more movement. Might be worth a shot to recover quicker and get back on the water a few days sooner?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-22-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
If you want to judge how your are doing, get one of those abs rollers. I made one from a kids wagon wheel, axel, and duct tape for a handle. You can get a gauge on how much it's healed real quick. And they are good for streching it a bit if you are careful. Commercial version looks like this.....

Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
I did this a few years back and everytime I threw a scarecrow it would re- tear. I tore it originally on a HS5 to back side edge and it tore me up good. It took a month or so to heal because I kept riding. I took a bunch of advil and stayed away from tricks that hurt it, like SC and HS BR. Before the start of that season I was working with a trainer and it got me lean and more muscle density. I think I just wasn't stretching and that combined with a bit more bulk made me tear them. The next two season I would stretch every morning before I rode and no issues. Long story short... once you get healed... STRETCH before you ride!!!

-Uj
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-22-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
I have been down this path too many times and it is best to let it heal - usually just a couple of weeks depending how torn they are. Strengthening and stretching are the tickets to prevention. The ab roller, leg lifts, or planks will let you know where you are really quick.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-22-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Thanks everybody, didn't know this was so common! I normally streach a little before I ride, but we were rolling pretty quick the night I did this, and forgot. I'm really gonna have to remember to streach like UJ said, seems I ride better when I do anyway.
Think surfing will hurt it at all? I can't stand not being on the water, and figure it might be an OK segway, but if not, I guess I'll just drive the boat and soak in some sun
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-05-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
Super bummed.. I think I am having similar problems. Whats a good way to recover that wont do more harm or slow down the recovery process?

Summer is here and now im hurt!

Anyone else have symptoms or look like me in the pic attached?
Attached Images

Old     (PatVA)      Join Date: May 2013       06-05-2013, 9:26 PM Reply   
holy sh*t!!!^^^^ thats so gnarly! and not in a good way, im thinkin. thats all INTERNAL?!?! damn son, you need to strenthen those muscles before putting em under the shredding stresses that are natural when shredding. damn, that sux harD^
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
Did that back in the day trying to impress Scott Byerly doing a scarecrow (before towers/fat sacks and such). I hucked the hell out of it. Pretty much was black and blue form my nipples to thighs. It was terrible. I could do anything without hurting. Time, rest and lots of water is all you can do. Maybe light stretching?
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-12-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
I found this site really useful:

http://www.sportsmd.com/Articles/id/...al_strain.aspx

I had a doc tell me that it was an strain of an oblique muscle and that there was tearing and bleeding thus causing the bruising and swelling. Its been almost two weeks and bruising has minimized along with swelling.

Also, I asked a buddy who works at www.bodybuilding.com and he recommended trying out Amino Recovery Supplement.

Im actually feeling pretty good and its been about 4 days of taking the supplement. once in the morning and once after work.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-13-2013, 6:17 AM Reply   
Holy Balls! That's way worse than mine, and it took me 6 wks to get back to riding shape - so don't push it, you'll just put yourself out longer! I went a week......tried it, tore it worse. Went 2 weeks, tried it, tore it coming off the dock......waited 6 wks, and was money. Sucked a lot, but what can you do. I lost 3 weeks just because I didn't wait
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-13-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
I have done it wakeboarding, although I did not bruise like that. I started by taking a day off, and then I gave up and would just ride through the pain. Then, I got an infection, which ended up being unrelated. But, I went to the doctor and they gave me flexiril, a muscle relaxant, for my abdomen and told me to take a week off. Luckily, it was mostly healed by that point.