Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-01-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
I'm just throwing out an idea here, would anybody be interested in lighted poles for their guide poles on the trailer? Something that maybe slides down in the existing guides at the rear and mounts up to the trailer lights? Or if there is no guide poles on the trailer, maybe a lighted marker? 100% waterproof & would light up the entire length of the pole?

Let me know your thoughts, just brainstorming right now. This would not replace your exisiting guide poles. Look similar to the picture attached...
Attached Images

Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-01-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
I would think a light on top of the guide pole would work best. If it ran all the way down it would most likely get torn up/off with the boat hitting/bumping the lights.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
Unless it's illuminated from the inside. (?)
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-01-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
These things will NOT get torn up by any means. The light will be encased in a very durable plastic. This will light from the bottom to the top. However, if it is slid inside of a current guide pole, then only what is above the guide pole will show. Also, the plastic used is not rigid, therefore it will not scratch or cause any damage to a boat.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-01-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
You wouldn't be able to call them guide poles anymore. Maybe just marker poles.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
I don't know how it'd be legal to tow with it if it's the entire poll? I don't know, I've seen some tractor trailers that are basically Christmas trees, but still.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-01-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
It is legal in most states if it is red, but if you start doing other colors then you would have to wire them on a switch or something similar.

These would be more of a marker than an actual guide, you are correct. They will guide, to an extent, but not to the extent of calling it a "Guide Pole".

Personally, I think I would like them to just be above the current guide poles on my trailer, few times last year loading at night, with no ramp or dock light, was pretty hard to see my black guide poles.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
nm
Attached Images

Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
They already have poles out with lights on them, you can get them from most boating supply stores such as Overtons
Old    walker44            03-01-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt18 View Post
These things will NOT get torn up by any means. The light will be encased in a very durable plastic. This will light from the bottom to the top. However, if it is slid inside of a current guide pole, then only what is above the guide pole will show. Also, the plastic used is not rigid, therefore it will not scratch or cause any damage to a boat.
I bet my wife could destroy one no problem. I dont like to let her drive the boat on to the trailer, but sometimes have no choice. Its better than watching her back the trailer in.
Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
I have to agree with walker, things can easily go wrong while loading and i dont see any plastic that could withstand a boat hitting it over and over again that wont crack or at least scuff up the boat a little. And like i said there are already lighted posts out there, i had them on my last boat trailer, they had the lights on top of the post and hooked up to the regular trailer lights but the still would crack every now and then.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
If I remember correctly "G" made some real nice LED lights for the top of his guide polls. they looked real nice. I think they were the same size as the guide pole it self.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-02-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Like I said, I highly doubt these will ever get destroyed on a boat trailer. It's actually a project for a different market I'm working on and I've had other people ask me about using them on their trailer, so I am trying to get a feedback from other boat owners as to what they think.

This is not a typical plastic, it's hard to describe without going into the technical data, but it is like a rubber-fused-plastic. I've tested these poles in several severe cases and they can withstand slamming into a concrete bridge at 50+mph and do not break, scuff or tear & the lights still work. Also, you can bend these in a circle without them breaking, it takes some strength to do so, but it can be done, and they pop back straight every time.

I've seen the lights that mount to the top of the poles before and they get brittle in the cold & crack pretty easily. Please keep the feedback coming...
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-02-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Neat idea. I wouldn't spend $$ on it, but if it was an option on a new trailer or something I'd get it.
It kinda appeals to the guy who already has everything...
Old     (cpeepee)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-02-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt18 View Post
I've tested these poles in several severe cases and they can withstand slamming into a concrete bridge at 50+mph and do not break, scuff or tear & the lights still work. Please keep the feedback coming...

Don't you mean, "I've crashed a trailered boat into a concrete bridge doing 50+mph, and these things were the only things that still worked!!" hahaha!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-03-2010, 5:20 AM Reply   
The prior owner of my boat didn't use guide pole covers and the guide poles have some serious chunks taken out of the plastic from where he loaded it. It was one of those things that once I saw it I looked at the boat to find the gouges, which there were none, but the guide pole plastic wasn't as lucky.

I just don't know how reliable or strong something would have to be to stop a 5k lbs boat from penetrating it, esp. when driven by a significant other.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-03-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
hahaha, no like I said we are testing for another market. And I do agree, this would be one of those addons that is more of a "Hey it looks cool" then a "That could help me load at night" deal. It will help, but you know what i mean.

I got some people wanting ot do some testing for me, so we'll get them out and see how they handle. I may throw two on my trailer just for the heck of it as well, but we are months away from lake weather her in KS still.

If you anyone is interested or want some more information, you can check it out at www.hazinc.com. Like I said, we're geared up for another market right now and possibly looking at a crossover for trailers. If anyone rides off road, Spiral Whips is the new thing and you need to come check it out.

Also, always up for new ideas, and love the feedback. Thanks guys!