Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-12-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
I was recently given a barefoot boom made for a direct drive and was wondering if anyone had ever converted one to work on a tower. I've got a good friend who is a machinist so I would be able to get some mounts made, I just need to get some ideas.

It seems like it would be relatively easy by shortening the main boom and making some struts using rod ends for the extra support.

Or if anyone has any pictures of their tower boom clamps, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Sell it on e-bay and buy the right piece of gear. If it is a BFI it will sell for $200-250. You can buy a Hylon for what you would put into parts.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-12-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Karl's right. Sell it on e-bay. Buy the v-drive boom on e-bay. Wash.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-12-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Karl, can you post a picture of a Hylon installed on a tower?
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-13-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Yes, it's a BFI. I haven't seen any tower booms on ebay yet, I guess I'll keep looking. A new one runs $699 not including shipping, so I was thinking if I could use some scrap for the brackets that clamp to the tower, I have some chrome moly tubing from building roll cages, the only parts I would have to buy would be some rod ends...I was thinking I could build it for less than $200. And I only want to use it to teach people (my wife) how to ski/board etc. which is why I didn't want to invest in a new one.

By the way, is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble teaching their spouse how to do anything???? She's the only person in all my years of teaching people to ski or board that I CAN'T get up!!! If I try to give her some advice or make a correction, I'm automatically picking on her...I guess I should have started another thread for this...

Thanks.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
V drive boom at BFI is $469. Sell your other one for about 200 and then you will only be out about $250 or so for the v-drive boom. That's only $50 more than your plan, is far easier, will probably look better and won't trash your tower if you miscalculate. Then once you teach your wife how to ski then you can sell it again for $250 and come out even.

The boom is ideal for getting anyone up. It allows them to get up and develop the balance/muscle memory they will need behind the boat. All my kids learned to wakeskate on the boom and then when they went out behind the boat they pretty much just popped up the first time.
Upload
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-13-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Ill buy it if the price is rite, been lookin for one
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-14-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
A Hylon is a convertible boom/pylon extension. The only one on the market - so it does both. A bit more expensive than a regular boom, it works well on DD boats and saves both cost and storage space. It does not mount on the tower. BFI has the tower extension. www.barefootinternational.com