Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (bonty88)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-09-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
Looking to buy a 2006 Tahoe. I always thought that z71 meant it was 4 wheel drive. But this is not. I know z71 is an off-road package. Is there anything about the z71 that will make it tow better. I did some internet research but could not find much on what made a z71 a z71. Know what I mean. Anyone towing with one?
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-09-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
All 2006 tahoes with the Z71 package should be standard 4wd. To my knowledge the only vehicle of that year you could get with a Z71 package in 2 wheel drive was the avalanche.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Usually all you're paying for with a Z71 package is upgraded shocks, a skid plate and stickers.

Most should also have a LSD rear end as well as slightly different tires from a standard 4x4

(Message edited by bac on February 09, 2010)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       02-09-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Some Colorado's were Z71 look-alike as well.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
It's basically some Bilstien shocks, skid plates, a couple other goodies, and of course, the stickers on the side.

Go on chevy's website and "build" a new truck, this will tell you exactly what's included when the option comes up. IIRC, when ordering a Z-71 package, it requires deleting the heavy duty towing package.
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 12:29 PM Reply

From what I can tell, mainly appearance, although I think it also includes bigger tires and better shocks...

(Message edited by tailgate on February 09, 2010)
Old     (bonty88)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-09-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Well there you go. Thanks tailgate. That site explained it perfectly even with pictures. I knew I could get good answers here.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
Yep, just went on Chevy's website, Z71 is available on 2WD, and if you order the 7,000Lb GVW package, it deletes the Z-71 option.

(Message edited by rio_sanger on February 09, 2010)
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-09-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
Z71 is the "off-road" package. This includes off-road suspension, skid plate, appearance differences such as bigger fender flares, color matched rear bumper and front bumper and grill, different fog lights, different roof rack (from 02-06), different wheels and all terrain tires. also, different rear differential. It wasn't until 05 that they started adding the 4wd as an option and not the standard on z71's. The 2wd will come equipped the same exact way except it'll be 2wd. Go to if you have any more questions or send me an email.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-09-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
^^^Dito...and 17" tires only. You have to do a wheel swap to get dif tires. If you want 20's gotta go with jus the 4x4. Atleast thats the case in Pickups.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       02-09-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
you can get 18" wheels on the Z71 also.

and i'm pretty sure my 2008 Z71 Silverado has the towing package on it - not sure if that is different from the "heavy duty" towing package though.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2010, 9:32 PM Reply   
Z71 is an option code. Look in the glovebox for the decal with all the option codes. The list of options in that package has varied, but like the others said, it has typically been Bilstein shocks, a skid plate, some decals/trim, and some kind of rims.

Z66 used to be the equivalent code on the 2wd trucks. But I guess they combined the two a few years ago.

The option code for the tow package is Z82.

The option code for 4 wheel drive is NP8.

I stripped the stupid decals off my Z71 Av.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on February 09, 2010)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-09-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
Z71 is just the little code that GM uses to show a packaged group of options and features. If you look on the white label for your vehicle it has many alphanumeric codes. If you get the entertainment package it has a code, as does the light package you might order. Chevy used to make a nice group on the Camaro with the designation of Z28. The Pontiac Trans Am had a code that designated it (WS4 from '76-'88) but nobody every marketed the code like they do the Z71.
For example A44 means that all your windows are tinted. and CA4 means you have a special package for a vehicle in the Arab Emerates.
Yes, this is actually pretty useless trivia, but you can look up all the options on your GM.

Edit: Bill types faster than me

(Message edited by rallyart on February 09, 2010)
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-10-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
I have an 07 Z71, looks cool to have the fenders and the carbon fiber dash, but I wouldn't pay for it again... no real advantage for what we use them for.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us