Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old    Nick Schrein (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-23-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I finally have a teaser for this video that I like enough to show WakeWorld. This is a follow up to Gauntlet. It's going to be another freebie like the last one (free shipping as well)

On another note, it's looking like it won't be released til next fall since my plan is to get as much footage as humanly possible, and some of the guys in the video moved to Florida. This means that I'll have to be making trips down there, so it'll be a little while before I can get sufficient footage to do everything that I want to be on the video. Plus I had mono during the months that the club was riding and that shut me down for filming/riding all semester.

Anyways, here's the trailer. Hope you all like it. Comments/criticisms welcome btw.

http://vimeo.com/8357933
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-23-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
please work on steady hands. thanks.
Old    Roddyrod (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-23-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Looks great man. Really liking that title shot, very cool.
Old    Nick Schrein (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-23-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Aye aye Joe. I was using inexperienced chaseboat drivers and didn't want to bring them in too close to the rider, so I was zoomed in too much and of course everything is exaggerated. Then there are a few that were just complete steady hand fails. I'm going to pick up a steady cam mount over break since I'll have the money from working, specifically to try to combat that problem. I'm using a canon HG-10, which is real small. It's a major reason that I'm trying to film more, too much shaking going on in the footage.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-23-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
you don't need a "steady cam" - just steady hands. instead of buying the "steady cam" over break, use the time to practice - hold the cam w/ both hands and just practice, practice, practice. and use your knees to take up bumps.
Old    Jeff Mathis (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-23-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
before i watch, just the fact that yall integrated "gnar" into the title has already sold me on it hahaha
Old    Nick Schrein (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-23-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
haha. There used to be a definition for Gnarcolepsy on some facebook group. It was something like "the gnarcoleptic individual will randomly break into fits of gnar."

Joe - when zoomed in, there's only so much practice can help. There are a bunch of winching shots that I want to get that I will need to run with the camera, and that's what I was initially getting the steady cam for. I've tried, probably half a dozen times, to run alongside the rider, and while I can keep up for the most part, I can't keep the camera even remotely steady. However, I'll skip the steady cam for now and try to practice holding it steady. I don't have a way of practicing the bouncing of choppy water though.
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-23-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   

quote:

Joe - when zoomed in, there's only so much practice can help.

you need better chase boat drivers. you shouldn't have to zoom in.
Old    JDUB (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-23-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
Pink Floyd makes everything better. Nice song choice
Old    Wakeboard2escape (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-24-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
joe i was on your website and watched the socal winch park. did you copy the song used in Thats It Thats All?
Old    Dave W (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-24-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
Nice trailer, Nick! I'm looking forward to the finished product for sure.
Old    kyle (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-24-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
Joe, take it easy on him. He isn't an expert photog. They are out there having fun.
Old    Johnny (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-24-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
What happened to the VT Epic wakeboat you guys got? Looked like most of that was behind an xstar.
Old    Nick Schrein (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-24-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
I had mono during the last warm months of the semester and wasn't able to get any footage (much less riding!) of riding with the club while we have/had the Epic. Fantastic boat though.

The Xstar footage was from four days over the summer that I went out with a bunch of former wakenskate employees. The sun was annihilating footage and washing out all the color, making it look cloudier than it was. There were blue skies on two of those days but you'd never guess from my footage. That's what happens when you work around work schedules. Had to wait to film them until they weren't working, or before work, and it makes for not the best lighting.

And Kyle, it's fine, I'm looking for criticism here. When everyone's like "oh it's fantastic," I don' know what to fix to make it better for the future.

Joe, I'm aware of that. Using people that live near me/that are available at that time to drive a boat is not the best of ways to do this. If we had filmed at school like we were supposed to, the president of the club is a really good chaseboat driver. Alternatively, if I could have found someone with remotely steady hands, I woulda use them to film and then driven the chaseboat myself.

But there are a few shots in there that I completely blew by letting the camera shake. An example is of Daniel Maine's (gray jetpilot vest) roll to revert. Also, had I not been focused on getting a shot of one guy hitting Nessy, I would have been on the other side of O-dub's lake o film someone else's first full hit on the A-frame. In retrospect, I shouldn't have put them in the trailer, but I was stretching to show as many riders as I could. We have a really deep roster, not including the out of club riders.
Old    SCBrips (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-25-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dirty! I thought the editing was sick!
Old    Joe Umali (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-25-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
nick, been there. but maybe you should wait to have better footie instead of using shaky ones just to put something out there. just a thought. and yeah, just helpin' you out man.
Old    Adam Balon (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-26-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
ever check out the website gnarcore.com?
Old    Nick Schrein (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
Once again, you're right Joe, haha. I guess part of my problem now is that I'm going stir crazy sitting at home on winter break looking out at the lake constantly, not being able to go near it after not having been able to ride for four months now. Filming fail though, after watching that trailer in actual HD (full screen) and not just the tiny little viewer on Sony Vegas, the shaking seems to get worse and worse and then even WORSE. Argh.

And no, I've never seen that site Adam. I'll take a look though.
Old    Greg (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-27-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Nick, Just checked it out, looks awesome! Can't wait to see the final product, and i'm sure it'll rock just like Gauntlet. Def. put me down on the list of orders when it is finalized...Gotta make a trip up to Smyth Mtn lake this year...
Old    Cody (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-28-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Gonna beat you all in your bowl game ;)
Old    Nick Schrein (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-30-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
Cody, I completely lack faith in the Tyrod-Stinespring offense, so I have no words of contradiction for you. Only a hope that you are wrong. Haha.
Old    Adam Van Dyke (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-30-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Nick, ye of little faith. The O has been surprisingly good this year overall. Go Hokies!
Old    Dave W (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-01-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Sorry Cody but VT played a great game last night! Way to go Hokies!
Old    Justin Lamoureux (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-01-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Looks good. I disagree with the Pink Floyd choice but hey...

What camera are you filming with?
Old    Nick Schrein (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
Adam, that's all about Ryan Williams (despite his butterfingers, haha) and Danny Cole. Seriously. Cole catches stuff that most wouldn't. Tyrod cannot throw the ball, haha.

Justin - Canon HG-10, the same as what I filmed Gauntlet with. Haven't had any kind of money to upgrade, been too busy going to Florida and buying new wakeboards/ipods/gas/food. Hahaha.
Old    Cody (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
I'll take a large dish of crow for dinner, please.
Old    Andy Nintzel (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-04-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Gnarcolepsy is a GREAT vid name.