Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-19-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
your honest opinion, this is a 4 foot wakesurf comes with traction and a fin for $174. The only catch is it's wood. I look at the $174 price tag and think how could an average rider not opt for that over a $400 foam skimmer.

What say you? Would the fact that it's would deter you?

Upload
Old    dtw. (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-19-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
Wow, thats a good price. And of course, Tommy & Bri RIP on those things. 48" seems a bit small to me, but I would love to try one for sure!!

What is the problem with it being wood? Not lasting as long? Too much flex?
Old    Lionel (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-19-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
Too heavy? Probably sell a ton! Change the colors?
Old    Brian (TXSurf) (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-19-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Not feeling the graphics on the traction or the colors, but to each his own.

I think some riders out there would stay away, but it also has the possibility of opening up the sport to those who won't/can't spend $400+ on a board.
Old    James Harold (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-19-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
looks like a board from scooby doo cartoon.
Old    Mitch (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-19-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
how would a first timer do on a board like that? because at that price point there would be a lot of first timers buying them
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-19-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
I don't know that it's any heavier than some of the high end wakesurfs. I think for normal folks wood is fine, it's got to be designed as an entry level board. $174 is definately price point.

I know that over at the Tige website the manufacturer folks were always saying NO WOOD in our boats all composite - the buying public tends to think wood + water = rot. At $174 couldn't you replace it three times before hitting the cost of a $400 d-cell based board that you can't ride any better, anyway? :-)

As a price point, entry level skimmer or if I just wanted a second board this would seem to be to be a great option, IF I was price conscious. So that really begs the question in my mind.

Could you build your own for $80?

Traction at $40 or even cheaper; a can of hula dek at $20, a fin at $10, a can of paint at $5 maybe some sealer at $10 and then the wood at $15? That sure seems doable to me. Total cost of $60 to $80. Sure beats the heck out of a $700 board if you're just casual about it.

Anyone like working with evil.wood?
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-19-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Good question Mitch, don't really know - I'd guess it would be like anyone jumping on a skimmer as their first ride.

Love the Sccooby Doo reference jdjjamesz
Old    Mitch (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-19-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
a lot of wakeskaters swear by wood wakeskates. They just have to be built right and sealed right.
Old    dtw. (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-19-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
and taken care of properly
Old    Brian (TXSurf) (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-19-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
Scooby doobie doo!

I've seen some guys riding a Zap with an added fin behind a boat. I bet you could find one of those things used for dirt.
Old    dtw. (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-19-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
Seems like there are way more surf style wakesurfers than skim style... What are the odds of seeing a surf style board in that price range?
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-19-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
I should send Tommy an email and have him get Eric to make one. Realistically, it's just a matter of getting the fins in. If they did the wakeboard fins, maybe you add $5 to the retail. It would be a cheap price point board, dtw.
Old    Art (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-19-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
I love wood. Heck, I've even got a Sanger.
But I bought a Phase 5 board a couple years ago because it was really light. When it hits the kids they go back riding. When it hits me I go back to trying to ride. And the 10 year old puts it away. So that's how a below average rider opted not to get one from TrickBoardz when I ordered my FAE early in '07.

Of course, I still need a much bigger board for me to succeed and maybe the wife will let me spend a couple hundred on a big wood board where I'm having a hard time convincing her that we need a Blue Lake.
Old    Joe B (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-20-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
We picked up the kids the Phase5 Scamp which is 45" for $200; why my 51" Icon cost double is questionable???

I would say it's a good way for Phase5 to hook the youngins in the sport and wonder if they make anything on the Scamp?

Wood is Ok if it's sealed well and lightweight and fairly durable. I want made in the USA, so that means more to me. Where is the woody skimmer made?
Old    Jeff Walker (surfdad)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-20-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
I believe that Eric Roush is making all of Tommy's skim style boards here in NorCal - Santa Cruz to be exact:

http://www.roushcreations.com/products.php