Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (clearywd)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-15-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
I have been filling the left and front ballast all the way and playing with trim between 25%-75%. The wake is lush but there is an annoying lip that hits my back foot. Any advice?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
We put 300# lead in the back locker and 200# in the front on the side we surfed on for the contest. The wake was big and real steep.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
I've rode one for the past 2 weekends and it's an annoying wave. This weekend we went full front and 1/2 left with the trim at 50% and almost got a rideable wave, still very steep and a short pocket. Next time I ride it, I'm thinking about having him fill up some of the right side too and see if that doesn't lengthen the pocket some. a 5' pocket isn't a whole lot of fun! He was always doing full left and full front and the wave is super tall but no pocket at all!

The wakeboarding wake is sick though, more than I can handle for sure!

(Message edited by TimmyB on July 15, 2009)
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Timmy, when we added weight to the right, it just knocked the wave down. I would take Dennis' advice on this one, the wake they were throwing at the Nor Cal contest was awesome. I would really like to go back out on another one and ride it again now that I know they need more weight to get it right.

Did yall have an issue with the swim platform creating a step in the wake?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Yeah, there is definitely a step or double lip to it. I guess we won't try the weight on the right side then, thanks for the tip. We had 14 people on the boat and the wave was still ugly, not sure more weight is the issue as much as having it in the right places.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
I don't think that double lip was due to deck. The boats at the contest had the decks cut down. The step, double lip, I think is more due to hull shape. I know on my boat, I get that effect, until I list the boat over much more. Then the double lip turns into one face, with a nice steepness and pocket. Wondering if on the epic, due to hull shape, you wouldn't be able to list it over enough. But with experimentation, it could be better.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
You're right Robert, I am mixing boats up in my head. I was thinking about steps in the waves from this last weekend I was out riding.

The epic we rode it looked like the step cam from the area of the hull around the transom speaker area. Definitely need some more weight to get that further down in the wake
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2009, 11:58 PM Reply   
I had water coming over my swim deck this weekend and the wave was heaven.
Old     (clearywd)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-29-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
Dennis, Do you fill the front? We had a better ride this past weekend filling the left, half fill front and trim at 50%. It was an improvement but still pretty unforgiving.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-29-2009, 10:48 PM Reply   
Guys- Yeah 'something's' going on with the regular side of that boat, both on the surf and wakeboarding wake. It's MUCH harder to get a nice clean wake on the regular side whether surfing or wakeboarding, don't know if other's have seen that on the wakeboarding wake or not, but we definitely have. As far as the surfwake, most of our crew doesn't ride regular so we haven't had much chance to dial the regular surfwake much.

Just tonight while pulling a wakeboarder, we had no ballast, but had to put an extra 600lbs of people on the regular/port side of the boat just to get the regular side of the wake to clean up like the goofey side, something is definitely different about the port side of the boat? Does anyone know if the gas tank is on one side or the other of the boat? I 'thought' it was evenly distributed, but could be wrong.

Also, when listing the boat for surfing, it seems like you can add alot more weight to the goofey side before the swim deck is touching the water than the regular side (this is especially apparent when boat is in motion).

Can prop rotation/thrust cause this much discrepancy on the wakes?

BTW- we noticed these differences before we put on the FAE, so we have ruled out the FAE being a factor.

Fortunately for us- we almost all ride goofey and LOVE the goofey surfwake on this thing.

We will be messing with it some more and report back.