Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
If you've bought a new proline rope, and you dont already know, stretch it a bit! here's what we did. We hooked this brand new one to the truck and my car, and stretched it from 75' to about 82, then relaesed the tention and it ended up being about 77' without any tention on it...stretched 2 inches or so...also got about 2 inches of stretch out of the handle! here's a pic, its the green mainlineUpload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
never heard of "pre-stretching" a rope... if this was the aim. what is the purpose?
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-18-2009, 1:33 AM Reply   
Not gonna lie bro...i have no idea why you and shon did that, lol. I guess just to get the rope 2 feet longer...but i dont really see the point my man. IMO
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-18-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
http://www.the-house.com/wklslext5bsy5zz-straightline-wakeboard-mainlines.html?utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign= 1609763&utm_source=commissionjunction&netid=cj

Ten bucks, you won't put unnecessary strain on your rope, and you won't risk snapping it injuring someone or your property.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2009, 6:34 AM Reply   
WTF???
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-18-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Actually- this is a very common practice with Slalom ropes that were made out of nylon. Nylon stretches so much it would literally slingshot your around a bouy on a slalom course and really throw you off the line. Not sure if spectra lines need this though- I have never felt a lot of stretch in my wakeboard line and they are WAY stronger than the old slalom ropes.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
the idea wasnt to get the rope longer...it was simply just to prestretch it before riding, that way you didnt get out there with your rope set at 75 thinkin you were at your sweet spot and then having it stretch out and then it be off. and your riding a further 2 feet out than you wanted to be
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-18-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
I actually got one of the proline ropes this year and it had so much stretch in it I took it back to the dealer. I couldn't handle it. I rode it two sets and was trying to pull on it as hard as I could to get the stretch out but couldn't do it. By the end of the second set I was so pissed off at the rope. I thought about trying to stretch it with my truck also but said forget it and just took it back.

I think the problem is the plastic jacket they put on it. I don't think the jacket is tight enough on the rope so the jacket is actually what is pulling you and stretching. Until the jacket stretches out the rope is like a rubber band.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-18-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
most ropes these days stretch quite a bit when they are brand new. I have ridden a brand new rope 3 times in the last few months and all but 1 of them had quite a bit of stretch. after about 3 rides everything was fine.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-18-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
When I got mine earlier this season I hooked it up to the boat on land and pulled and stretched on it and got a good couple feet out of it. Thats just pulling it by hand. After that no issues, except the sinking part.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-18-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
Callen got it right! I had never heard of this but a CWB pro Rider told me if I was going to get a new rope to make sure I pre stretch it. He said they don't pre stretch them at the factory. So that is why we did it, and like Mike said we got 2ft out of it.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       06-18-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Here is a classic example of what NOT to do.

First off I don't recommend anyone doing this and if you don't already know it borders on retarded. A. its dangerous. B. it could snap. C. guess what, it's not covered by warranty. When you say, "they don't pre-stretch them at the factory" technically I don't think ANY manufacturer pre-stretches rope on site. If someone does please go ahead and email me. This is an SK main which has a tensil strength of about 2K lb. I would consider this a "mid range" mainline w/ a parallel braid w/ cable and has about 4-7% elongation property when at maximum load. See above. Our Vapor/Faction lines have a 4K lb tensil strength w/ woven braid - these don't stretch under normal circumstances (wakeboarding). Hutton probably should be using a Vapor line. Rope straight out of the packaging will stretch a little because of the coating, knots, etc. As a pro, yeah they probably shouldn't take a rope out of the box and go for a tourney pass. On your first set, cut-out 10 times and give it hell. Try to pull the boat off course, etc. This should tighten everything up.

Casey Johnson
Proline Product Manager
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-18-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I thought this is why you drag it behind the boat for a couple of minutes before you use it for the first time?
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-18-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
Casey...Thanks for the heads up bro! Does the rope lose its elongation property after a couple of rides, or is it always like that?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-18-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
^^ Dragging it only helps get the twist out of the rope...
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
For me the stretch seemed to be an advantage. I noticed that my arms did not hurt from the constant tension and pull. Landing blind for me was a lot easier as well. When the rope was new I had just started landing heel 7s and the stretch seemed to help get some much needed slack in the middle of the trick that helped make me more consistent on them. I thought Proline was doing it on purpose. I like the stretch but thats just me.

TC
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-18-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
This thread is amusing. I'd like to do a placebo test and I bet 99 percent ofthe people here wouldn't know the difference!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
i think i have heard of some people putting a smal 5 ft section of regular poly ski rope to add a tiny bit of stretch? any one else?
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
i know a few people that have added 5ft of ski rope at the end of their wake rope. they say it adds just enough stretch to help with tennis elbow.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
Poly sections kick arse! We have been using them for years now, and they really work.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
I tried the short piece of ski rope for my tennis elbow last summer. The stretch was so significant, even from a 1 foot section, that it was unbearable...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
Poly sections do kick butt. I learned that one from bbr. All you need is about 3 foot of Poly E. Make sure you get the thicker Poly E, cuz the thin stuff would likely stretch too much.

Prestretching before riding sounds silly, why not just do a deep water start and give it 4-5 tugs? Done and without over stressing the fibers.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-18-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Just let some bigger guys ride with it. I just got a new one two weeks ago it had a little stretch. Went out the other day and let two bigger guys ride with it now its locked in.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
Haha literally just got in from riding with my new rope and handle for the first handle and was about to post about it. Will this stretch go away without this car method ?
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2009, 10:07 PM Reply   
yea, nick the stretch will go away after a few rides, the "car method" wasnt necasary, just somethin we did to give it a shot and it worked. so yea just ride it a few times and it will stretch out to wear you want it.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-18-2009, 11:38 PM Reply   
You learn somethin new everyday! (i didnt jack your thread michael :P)
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       06-19-2009, 12:08 AM Reply   
is'nt it past your bedtime codi?^
Old    justinh            06-19-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
I had a rope that after a few weeks of use added 4ft @ 80'.

Also, I have always put about 2ft of Slalom rope (Poly-P) right in from of my handle to absorb shock. If you get yank-arm it really helps.