Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
So Im gonna start the install of my ballast system soon and have all the basic details planned out. My main dilemma is getting water from the intake to the pumps. The intake is a bronze 1.5" pipe end with a shutoff valve on top and I need to reduce this to 2 1" lines for the pumps. Should I construct a PVC manifold or just use hard pipe? Or should I use a 1.5" Y and then reduce 2 of them down to 1" to feed into the pumps. Just not sure what would be the best and easiest way. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-30-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
imo the best thing to do would be run 1.5" hose from the intake to a manifold and use 1" pvc on the manifold. You can get pvc reducers at lowes
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-30-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Not the best pic

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-30-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Sch40 PVC is great stuff for a ballast manifold. Here a setup that a couple of Tige owners have done.

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-30-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
^^^^ Much better
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
What kind of sealant is that blue stuff? Wouldnt I just use regular PVC cleaner and cement?
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
So reduce down the 1.5" to 1", then make the manifold out of 1" PVC? What is the advantage of a manifold over a simple Y fitting?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-30-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
The manifold is all 1.5" with 1" coming off to each pump.

Yes, use regular PCV primer and glue on the PVC slip fittings. For the threaded, I would use 3M5200.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
Perfect, thanks Mike. Think I will do mine exactly like that. I only need to outlets, but will cap off the third in case I decide to add a third pump.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-30-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
The blue is Christyís Red Hot Blue Glue its what I have used for years when gluing PVC. Just use any PVC primer and then glue. Clear works also but IMO the blue makes a better bond and also is easier to tell if you have 100% coverage. That looks real tall might want to use a street 90 before the 4 way. Make sure to use tape on threaded joints to prevent leaks or use glue on threads I glue the threads if I know that I will not have to take them apart but you will have to work fast. Itís actually a solvent so only works on PVC to PVC joints.

(Message edited by yubasanger on October 30, 2008)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-30-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
You could easily put a 90 on the thru-hull and run the manifold parallel with the floor if height is a problem. It's worth while to dry fit everything and lay it in to make sure it will function correct and not impede anything else, then pull it back out and glue.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
Its an I/O, I have tons of room back there. lol
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-31-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Another quick question...

Are the thread sizes a standard NPT size where the fittings thread into the sacs? If so, what size? I am going to Menards tomorrow to get some barbed fittings for the sacs and would like to avoid having to order them.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
If you are using Fly High sacs, they are 3/4 straight threads, NOT NPT's. The best place to get the correct fittings are from Fly High IMO
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-31-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
Are most PVC hose fittings NPT or ST? Really dont want to have to order them if I can get them local.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Plumbing PVC is typically NPT, and marine plumbing is Straight Threads.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-31-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Gotcha...I'll just order them. Thanks again Mike
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-01-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Do they make the 1" fittings in a 90 degree elbow? Cant seem to locate anything except the straight fittings and would prefer the elbow type.

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-01-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
If you want a 90* elbow fitting at the sac, you will need to go with the W743 & W746 quick-connect fittings unless someone else has found some thing that will work.

I will say that the quick-connects are worth the upgrade, makes it real easy to remove the sacs for boat cleaning and drying.

(Message edited by chpthril on November 01, 2008)
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-02-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
How does this setup look for a manifold. All Sch 40 PVC. It will thread onto my bronze thru hull intake.Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-02-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Looks great, Bill, should work fine.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-02-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
No disadvantage to using a PVC shutoff valve instead of a metal one? PVC one seems easier to use as the brass one was very stiff.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-03-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Question about check valves. I know I want to use the swing typw to minimize restriction. Is it OK to use the little plastic ones in all the places on my diagram, even the one on the main fill lines? Anyone know a cheap place to buy them?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-03-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
These are the ones I'm using from They will work in the fill, drain, and vent locations and should not ever be a problem.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       11-03-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Bill personaly I would use brass at the thru hull. The coast gaurd requiers it and for good reason. I know there expensive but its only one the important one. The one that will stop your boat from filling with water if something ever happens.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
pvc is not coast gaurd approved because the vibrations found in boats will loosen glued connections overtime. Please use brass threaded fittings and hose. It may not leak now, or next year, but it's been proven that overtime they do leak and so they have been banned in the marine world. I'd hate to see a $40K boat sink because pvc fittings were used to save $50 in a ballast system. If you look at any factory system they will have a brass ball valve at the thru hull.
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-03-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
Points taken, will get the brass one for the thru hull. Thanks.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-03-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Can you share some pics of an all metal system?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       11-03-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Mike I am not saying an all metal system but no pvc between the valve and thruhull. I know malibu goes thruhull to valve to pump and from the pump on its all plastic. but i do feel better knowing i have that ball valve if something ever happened..
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-03-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
Who cares,

Sorry, I was asking WALove for pics of his non-PVC system. I would not argue the use of Brass over PVC below the water line.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       11-03-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
tigemike-Gotcha no worries...
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       11-06-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
I've spent time with mastercrafts and centurions, and time working for a large boat outfitter. the standard procedure is to use a through hull threaded into a ball valve, large boats use a seacock, which is a flanged ball valve that is glued (5200) and screwed into the hull. Ski boats hulls are to thin to screw into so most maufacturers use a ball valve. From the ball valve you can run a hose to a manifold, fully manufactued like the one mastercraft uses or a home made one using metal threaded fittings. You can also tee off at the ball valve and then run the hose to the pumps.

The main issue with solid state plumbing is it is not designed to handle the amount of vibrations that are seen in a ski boat. Your car has shock absorbers, your house doesn't move your boat bounces off every ripple. Glued pvc and soldered copper pipe are not coast gaurd approved because has been found that over time the vibrations casue these seals to fail. This is the same reason you do not see wire nuts or soldered electrical connections in boats eather. You will see some plastic fittings "above the water line" as if these fail the boat will not take on water.

im sorry i have no pictures of installations heres a link to a ball valve and seacock.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-06-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
I have an all brass system that I will be installing this weekend. I plan on taking pictures of all steps of my install. I should be able to get pics up next week. Do a search on planetnautique. wake_fun has a good install that I based mine off of.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-07-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   

Without agreeing with or disputing your info, I do want to clarify that PVC joints are not glued. PVC cement is a 2-part chemical that creates a reaction when the 2 pieces are assembled. The "glue" melts/softens the PVC and when cured, to 2 parts are welded together as if one piece. If done correctly, the odds of a joint failure are probably the same as the PVC it's self cracking.

Oh, and soldering is for making a clean, low resistance, electrical connection and should never be relied upon 100% for a strong mechanical hold, that's why terminal ends are intended to be crimped AND soldered $.02
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-07-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
I think the point of not using PVC in ridged fixed locations like screwing into the bottom of the boat is that PVC does not take the shock. by its nature it can be brittle when it gets cold. And yes glued joints can fail even if you use a primer first.

I used brass to the ball valve then PVC after
Old     (drknute3)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-10-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
My ball valve will be threaded directly to the thru hull, so I will make that brass, then go PVC for the manifold and hose to the pumps and lines. Thanks all.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-10-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
I would also use Y's wherever you can instead of T's, one less 90 degree turn to slow things up.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-10-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
I used aerator pumps but this might help, I used a 1.5 thru hull into a 90 then my shut off valve the I ran a radiator hose into my manifold system,PVC. Since each Tsunami fills its own bag at the end of the season I just remove the aerator part and the water drain out. also it has some movement with the radiator hose.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us