Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
Just looking for a quick heads up on the area of Boulder, CO. I have a job offer there and am trying to decide if I am going to fly out for the meet and greet.

Are there any lakes in the area worth riding? What is the climate there? Cost of living? Real Estate market? Schools? Etc.

Typical stuff for someone from outside the area. Looks like the job will be outside the city of Boulder, more near the foothills? Thats how it was described to me. It is an information sensitive gig so I dont know exactly where it will be, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.
Old    Loren (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-21-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
I lived in Denver...went up to Boulder a couple of times. There are so many positives to the area, but they come at a price. Cost of living is high...although your profile doesn't say where you are coming from, so if you are in CA you may be fine with the prices. There are reservoirs in CO that also supply water to residents. They are big bathtubs essentially, and we couldn't get good water past 9 am or so. There are private lakes around if you know the right people...unfortunately I didn't. We had to drive up to Wyoming or Powell to get great water...CO has lots to offer....beautiful mountains, amazing hiking/biking, rafting/kayaking, camping/dirtbiking, and a climate that can't be beat in my opinion, but great water is not one of its strong suites.

That said, if I had the chance to live in Boulder and could afford it, it would be hard to say no.
Old    Derek Hagood (darv)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
I was in Golden CO this spring, and am heading back this fall. It's not easy to find good water but it can be done. The Mile High Meet and Greet is an event in the spring that lets you meet all the local riders. If you own a boat, private lakes are definitely the way to go.
Old    Abe (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-21-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I work in boulder county and live in the Ft Collins area. Pm me when you get to the area and I will give you a pull. I can set you up with people for riding opportunities
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I have a boat, probably couldn't sell it if I had to, I just need a place to put it.

It seems that you can not ride in the reservoirs? How big are the private lakes? Slalom ski size or riding size?

Thanks for the help.
Old    Austin Carter (atom_ant)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-21-2008, 11:46 PM Reply   
We stayed in Boulder for Collegiate Nationals and rode out on Boulder Res. The water temp. was 54 in May and there were still a few boats out. I can see it getting crowded and or blown out pretty quickly in the summer. Boat storage on site though.
Old    Loren (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-22-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
Sean, at least around Denver the reservoirs are available to ride in, but they just get busy fast. No such thing as a nice long protected straightaway either, you have to get close to the dam wall and it curves its way around the lake. The reservoirs out in the CO plains start to dry up by 'now' in the year, so they may have some restrictions at that point. The private lakes I've seen are slalom size, great for a pass, turn around, repeat. Not exactly your go out and spend the day chilling type of lakes.
Old    kylie-logan (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-22-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
i was born & raised in boulder. i think it's beautiful, but then i'm prejudiced! tons of hiking, mtn & road biking, rock climbing, windsurfing, kayaking, skiing/snowboarding, dirtbiking -- pretty much whatever you wanna do you can do it here! also, there are areas near boulder that are within commuting distance. the lakes/reservoirs get crowded and choppy, but if you're willing to go early (like hit the water at 5 a.m.) or late you can get some good water, and if you're willing to just suck it up you can ride and enjoy it anytime.