Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-20-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Season started out slow, but finally started riding well. Now, I'm riding worse than ever. What do you guys/gals do to get out of a slump?
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-20-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Ride switch. Work on new grabs. Try a completely new trick.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
i second riding switch! try like 3 sets just 100% switch.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-20-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
i just toss a smile on and try to remember that I'm glad I'm on the water. A crappy day on the water is better than any day at the office! Once i stop crabbin' at myself i end up doin better and goin bigger.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
ive had what your talking about and i just force myself through it. take a good look at your mechanics and just make sure you know what your wanting to do. Have full control of you body.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
don't "work out" a trick...if you keep falling, just do something else!
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-20-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
All good advice. Still having fun on the water and have had more fun behind the boat this summer than many I can remember, but I get frustrated when i can't land tricks that should be no brainers!

I've turned into my own worst petpeve, not taking/attempting the good advice offered from the boat.

However, I've made vast improvements in my mechanics this year, so I'm stoked with that. That is probably my issue, that I'm use to hucking stuff, so when I try to do them correctly my timing is all out of whack.

I think I'll turn my attention to some new TS to splat stuff...
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-20-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
Either try some new trick, work on switch or wakeskate a session and then wakeboard right after. I always feel so much more locked in after skating and then boarding back to back.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-20-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Yeah, do what Stephen said. If you wakeskate first, you'll have a great time and also really be forced to focus on your edging technique. Then immediately put on the wakeboard and you'll see how much better you're wakeboarding feels. That is, if you stop wakeskating. I've had plans to do that several times and just ended up skating the entire set.
Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-20-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
What you need is called the "Slump Buster". From the mouth of Ex-baseball player Mark Grace... "Hook up with an ugly chick just once and everything else after will be better than the last". Maybe a little off topic but your confidence will go up and some bad wakeboarding will be the least of your worries. haha lol!
Old    K.B.C.            06-20-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
mid season slump, I hit one every year. just power through it, as some have suggested, try some new stuff, ride switch, etc. just keep riding...
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-20-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
um.... drink? just kidding....

but seriously...
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-20-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
I usually drag bunt to get my stat up a little, then I start swinging for the fences again...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-20-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
either that go oppo a few times or try n knock the pitcher off the mound and your good to go...yea billy?
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-20-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Ahhhh... the slump buster!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Two seasons ago I was seriously bent on progessing my riding, to the point where I would get frustrated if I couldnt put together a good set. After realizing I wasted several weeks of good riding just getting upset and being a general downer (not enjoying the sport) I promised myself to never go back to that attitude and thought process. It seems like I always ride better with no preset plans, or internal pressure.

How about a roam doubles set? No Air's aside from ollies. Just a fresh soul session with lots of high fives and smiles.

My best sets have always come when I never expected them to, just screwing around and having fun. I refer to this as "Going to (your name here) Land". When I get on a tear and am stapling everything I try I am in "Matt Land" .
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
For me this works every time, I've said this in another thread too, I usually go out and try a trick I know I will not land, but go for it full throttle, usually a moby dick [because I can't do tantrums or backside spins], seeing how close I can get usually gets me ready to try anything and thats usually when I progress.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-20-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
when i went into a slump, i took a year and a half off and just wakeskated. I had tons of fun too. It gave me new goals to look forward to accomplishing.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-20-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Go out and remember what you're riding for. Sometimes I get hung up on that new trick and forget to ride for the love of being on the boat. Go out, have fun and let the magic happen. Ha, ha, ha.

Actually, I dig when I get into a slump. I always come out riding better than ever. The majority of my progression comes right after one of those times where nothing goes right.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   

quote:

What do you guys/gals do to get out of a slump?

ride w/ the cie guys.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-20-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Break your arm
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
OH YEAH JOE????

WHy is that, Cause Billy is so funny looking, maybe?

Just remember its all about the life style if your not having fun STAY HOME!!! this shat is expensive

Man Billy you can tell the boss is out of the office today your all over this board!!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
no way man...if there's anyone that can get a guy out of a slump and riding into the next level, it's you guys! no disrespectin' man!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
I knew you weren't disrespectin'
Thanks for the props

Damn internet you thought I was mad when I was the exact opp.

ITS CAUSE OF THE SOCKS HUH?

(Message edited by allen on June 20, 2008)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
yep...the socks threw me off dude!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-21-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
e-props goin' down!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       06-25-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
I'm always a fan of the "you're not getting in the boat until you land it or we decide you've had enough" method
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
i beieve the true definition of a slump buster is getting a not so hot and not so inshape girl and have a have a little fun in the bed with her.

When i was playin ball i didnt have any slumps that were that bad to need the "Slump Buster"
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-25-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
"My best sets have always come when I never expected them to, just screwing around and having fun." --> Me too!

It seems that my slumps always occur when I start taking my riding too seriously. I think this summer I have finally accepted the fact that I will not be going pro in our beloved sport, so I better just enjoy every minute of being on the water for the sheer love of the game. Remember that most of us are out there to have fun. We all know that landing a new trick is part of the fun, but don't make fun dependent on the latest and greatest flippy, spinny, superman thingy!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-25-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
take a butter set at 8am. do nothing but soul turns
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-25-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
slump buster!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-25-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
go wakeskate.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-25-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
^ agreed.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-25-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I've been in ole Wakeboard slump too ever since my hard head slamming fall on my 2nd trip out this season. I still take the boards out ever trip to the lake but I spend most of my time Wakeskating now and now that I'm almost done with my winch it's going to be better than ever
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
im in the same boat montgomery got 2 concussions in a month wakeboarding in march and ever since just skate. I did however strap up last week it was an awesome feeling.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-25-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
I usually strap up for one session every time I go out but I REALLY like the feeling of freedom on my Wakeskate you're not strapped down, you don't get the pressure points from your bindings, and when you catch an edge instead of face planting you usually just get launched off the board. I like it :-)
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2008, 12:51 AM Reply   
just enjoy what you are doing, just try to put some style into the easiest tricks.... what really gets my going is just slash your toeside wake so hard that you almost go down... try it will put you in your groove:-)