Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
started getting more into skating last summer, surface 3's/180's are down, frontside lipslide is down, now i want to start doing backside lipslides, but can't seem to get the right (turn?) in my hips...what are some tips to help wtih the backside lipslide,

eventually i'd like to learn to go from backside lipslide, and pop to a frontside lipslide,

tips..tips..tips..mitch i know you're on here somewhere????
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
i didnt mean to say lipside, supposed to be lipslide.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-28-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Roll your hand over when you put it behind your back. Makes it much easier to get the board around more and locked in.

Alos, the slide terms are a little weird to get used to but here goes:

If you are facing the wake, then whatever slide you do is frontside. If your back is to the wake, it is backside. If the tail of your board goes over the wake, it is a boardslide. If the nose goes over the wake, it is a lipslide.

Back Lip & Front Board look like the same trick, but diff sides of the wake. These are your backwards facing slides. Front Lip & Back Board also look the same, but are forward facing slides.

Very easy to get them mixed up. Not that I care what you call it, just spreading some knowledge.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
nice, thanks for that info, good to know. Still having a tough visual on the different of the front wake/back wake...prob just need to watch a video or something.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Cary, you got it mixed up.

If the nose goes over the rail/lip first then it is a boardslide.

If the tail goes over the rail/lip first then it is a lipslide.

For a frontside slide/grind the rail/lip will be at your toes before you got for the trick.

For a backside slide/grind the rail/lip will be at your heels before you go for the trick.

Jake, honestly i suck at backlips. But having more weight on your back foot helps a lot. This is one trick i still have a hell of a time ollieing into. I always seem to just barely get the tail over and i slide out of it.

can you frontside boardslide? if not you might want to start there.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
yea, i can frontside boardslide..i think?(i hope im using correct terminology) I can understand yours (mitch) a little more than cary's...tell me if the picture i did below is right, or off, or whatever..?

Upload
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-28-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
You're right Mitch, and I had it right in my head. Told you it gets confusing. It is easier when I don't have to think about it.

Jake that is correct, and if the rider is facing the boat, then it would be a FS Lipslide on the left, and a BS Boardslide on the right.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
alright so wait, the rider on the right, if facing the boat, is doing a BACKSIDE boardslide?, yet if the rider on the right was facing away from the boat, it would be a FRONTSIDE boardslide?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
jake, yeah. it depends on position before the slide.

the guy doing the bs boardslide had his heels towards the wake before he got his nose over it.

and for a fs boardslide you have your toes at the wake before you get your nose over it get it?

so are you trying to fs boardslide or bs lip?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
BOTH! that was CONFUSING...here check out this picture.. this is what i want to be able to do...let me make sure I would be right, of course imagine a wake instead of a rail...if i was this guy, and lets say on the RIGHT side of the wake (like above image), and I was doing the trick pictured below, I would be doing a fs boardslide, please tell me im right??

Upload
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
that would be a backlip, haha.

if you are regular:

on the port (passenger) side wake:
nose over (facing away) frontside boardslide
tail over (facing boat) frontside lipslide

on the starboard(driver) side wake:
nose over (facing boat) Backside boardslide
tail over (facing away) Backside Lipslide

like i said the terms frontside and backside come from which way you are facing before the trick. if you skateboard in a mini ramp or half pipe you would get it. frontside and backside (for slides/grinds and air tricks/spins) come from vert skating and where you are facing relative to the coping.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
NICE, i get it now man, just a confusing bunch of slides and lips and backs, but I actually think i got it. Alright good deal. So, the 2 trick I need to dial in are the fs boardslide and the bs lipslide, (away facing tricks)..now that i've got the terms down, I mainly try to do fs boardslides, but can't seem to keep the handle and my body position to let me actually "slide" the wake, what can i do? is one or the other easier?
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-28-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
On the wake, Front Boards are easier than Back Lips, to me. They just seem easier to lock in. Think of how you would do a handle pass, and your lead wrist will turn down. Do this on the lip but don't pass the handle. Get it turned over and in close, and it should be much easier. Fun to come out of backside too (like BS 90 out).
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
god, now im excited to go out and try these bad boys...too bad its ab 60air temp, rainy, and ab. 55 water temp today..sweet.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
for the fs board dont edge into the wake and then turn. you want to be parallel to the wake and drift up and then when your toes are at by the lip get into position.

if you edge into it you will go over the wake and and into the inside.

you want to pivot your hips, look over your lead shoulder, and turn your wrist over and get the handle in the small of your back. having your arm out will pull you over so keep it in. stay centered over the board so you dont slide out on your face or back.

it helps to look at the end of the wake near the boat to keep you squared. just like in skating how you look towards the end of the rail. if you look down at the board your weight is going fall forward.

(Message edited by wakemitch on May 28, 2008)
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
perfect advice, exactly what I am looking for, thanks guys, appreciate it. I'll let you know how it turns out, should be out riding this weekend, maybe I'll try and get some pics.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
have fun dude.
try popping into them too
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
thats a whole other game I haven't even started yet! baby-steps right!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
very true.

get some!
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
while were at it, let me ask you this...i've ridden probably 4-5 different skates, and i finally ended up getting an '06 HL Karma 111, and I really like it. What are your thoughts on this board? I'll give you an overview of myself...

Been riding (wakeboards) for ab. 5-6 years (probably 2 years total if you take the 4 months out of the year that I actually GET to ride) i just started wakeskating last summer. I used to only wakeboard, but then started messing around on a skate every now and then, now i find myself wanting to skate more than board. Like I said, I've got majority of the surface tricks down, and I even started getting my w2w jumps down last summer. I might make a total switch for boarding to skating, so I want to start out with some small skate tricks and see how I progress. I saw another thread of "easy" learning tricks for skating, and I already had most of them down that were recommended, so I guess where I am now at is how to better "slide" (WHICHEVER WAY, LOL) and possibly start popping in and out of the slides, ect...am I moving in the right direction as far as progression? or are there some other steps I should get down before?

Also, shoes. I currently wear size 13 pair of old 313 skate shoes (i took em off the shelf of the old shop I worked at, last pair)..I wear a size 11, but figured they should work...anyway they do kind of suck and get water-filled and heavy..should I buy a nice pair of skate shoes that actually fit? think it will help? Sorry, a lot of dumb quetsions probably but, I'm new to the wakeskate game homie!
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-28-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
I hated the Karma (old Gate) b/c of the weird kicktails. I cna't speak for everyone, but that board generally gets terrible reviews. If you are happy with it, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I personally prefer wood skates with grip. Sattelyte since we are on the subject, but there are lots of other great boards out there. Just keep trying different boards whenever you get a chance. You will find what works for you and sometimes it takes a while to know what you like and don't like.

Just have fun with it, don't get mad when trying new stuff, and like you said, baby steps. I think Mitch (might have been someone else) has preached about learning the basics and progressing that way, and that is correct in my opinion. Sure you can go try kickflips until you get them, but that is weak if you ask me. I'd rather watch someone with board control and style anyday over someone who hucks sketchy tech tricks.

Good shoes are a big help if you ride alot. Treat your feet right. Get something light that dries quick and are comfy. You can always drill holes in the others, but they are too big for you anyway. Find some decent shoes on clearance if you can. LOTS of place sell wakeskate shoes, usually pretty easy to find them on sale.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
The karma will definitely get the job done.
It is not a fan favorite though. It has sharp rails that catch easily and has kicktails that are useless and its really light.

But if thats the board you like then that is all that matters.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
What are some other good skates then??? My best buddy owns a wake/skate shop here, so I can pretty much demo anything from anyone..we've got Ronix, HL, Liquid, Gator, ect...whats your best recommendations, I'm always happy to demo new boards!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
if you are looking for wood decks you can try out the LFs. their new skates this year are sick. im in love with the sst

just demo whatever catches your eye
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-03-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Couldn't get out this weekend, lake was NO WAKE from all the damn rain! I'll be out this weekend though! hopefully