Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-28-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
If you were a wakeboarder - where would you live? I am considering both locations for the last five minutes...
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-28-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
I don't think there is much of a wake scene in Maui but it still gets my vote. It is by far the most awesome place I've ever been to.

I've never been to Honolulu.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-28-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
Maui is badass but i dont think there is anywhere to wakeboard there, from what I saw. Honolulu is a real city, but the island appeal of Maui is where its at
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-29-2008, 5:23 AM Reply   
I am considering 4 years in either location. Guess I cant really go wrong at all huh?
Old     (astonestreet)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-29-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
I lived in Honolulu for a summer. Wicked good times once you got outside of the city. The North Shore is truley a sight to behold. I dont know of any Wakeboarding going on there but at the time I had never stepped foot on a wake board, only a surf board. We used to Islan hop over to Maui for the weekends. Carzy Expensive but to that note so was Honolulu.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-29-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
Ted, Maui doesn't really have a wakeboard scene. Honolulu has a better chance of hooking up with people to ride. FYI, cost of living is expensive on either islands.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
you should move to kauai and ride the wailua river(sp) constant butter. and that is where shapiro is building his dream home
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-29-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
The plans are all kind of in the air right now. I know cost of living will be higher - but the employer understands that too. I am just in the middle of learning about moving to an area Ive only dreamed about visiting. Any help you guys have to offer, I appreciate.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-29-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Maui == Island fever, big time. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there fulltime unless I was starting a tourist business of some sort, and that was going to occupy my time. There really isn't much to do there once you've seen the 3 sights and exhausted the menu at the 4 good restaurants... The surf's good, but it gets really crowded these days at the good spots. I haven't seen any wakeboarding there, but wind sports are popular, if you want to buy a kite. Also, be careful blending in with the culture of the islands. There's alot of super hardcore drug usage going on there.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
Who needs wakeboarding when you can surf every day! (don't bash me) I consider the North Shore of Oahu to be heaven. Maui is nice too, just really expensive. Honolulu is just too crazy for me on a day-to-day basis but is cool to go hang out in for awhile. Go with either man, I am very jealous!
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
kuai wailua river was the best
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
wailua Upload
Old     (jayme)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-29-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
On oahu they have wake contests in honolulu right by the airport, and there used to be a wake shop and demo place right outside the city in hawaii kai - but i think it closed down. Not real sure what the scene is like on maui.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-29-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
It's been a while since any local contests were held. After RNR closed down in 2003, the wakeboard scene slowed dramatically on Oahu. But, some of the local riders are trying to revive the riding scene again. Most riding is done at Keehi Lagoon or Kaneohe Bay. Hawaii Sports still does a tow service in Hawaii Kai (Koko Marina) but they aren't allowed to weight their boats with extra ballast & run a straight line during your pull (they have to go in circles).

The Wailua River is sweet as well but they also have a no extra ballast rule for normal riding. Not sure what would happen if you got pulled over for excessive weight.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
So far so good, keep it coming!!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-30-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
I must say that it is pretty special to have the north shore only be a 30-45 minute drive away. The place really is the most special stretch of beach in the world. We drove around Honolulu looking at the price of homes along the coast, not directly on the beach, but over looking the ocean and man they were wild prices.
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-30-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Ted. If you move to Hawaii you will become a kitebaorder. You can forget about wakeboarding because you will not go back. Maui has wind year round. You can kite almost everyday with your wakeboard in bindings. Not much wind in Oahu.

I moved to Maui 2 years ago.

(Message edited by tiger20 on April 30, 2008)
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-01-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Ted, it really depends on what YOU want to do. If it's surf, you can get that on any island. If it's wakeboarding, your only options are Oahu and Kauai. Kauai is a commercial operation which means that you'll pay commercial prices. Oahu has a few clubs that have members with boats. This would be your best chance at "hooking up" for rides. IF your in it for the girls, once again their on all the islands, some are more populated then others. Last, if your moving for WORK! Stay where your at. The price of living here is quite expensive. You may find yourself working way to much just to make a decent living thus not having much time to PLAY! Good Luck!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-01-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
It would be work and I am negotiating how they will be compensating my living. That way my money is mine!
Commercial - sounds terrible, but maybe its not? I would look to surf, wake and kite while Im there so it sounds like I just need to get there.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-01-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
WHOA, I knew the Kamaaina braddaz would be in this thread. Miss you guys and miss the scene.

Ted, nothing wrong with a little catching up on the surf and kite surf. Just catch the wave before everyone else and you will do just fine! :-) :-)
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-01-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Waassup Keith! Long time no talk. Did you ever end up selling your VLX? How's the weather been done in AZ? Up here in UT it's been crappy, my boat is still in storage.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-01-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Hijack start again~ Weather rocks, ride all year long, killing it lately on the board. BUT, broke my toe yesterday landing a Heelside Front into the flats and jammed my toe in my binding. :-(

Didn't sell the boat, the deal broke thru the night before. I'll tell you on email.

Hijack end:

Sorry Ted. :-)
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-02-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
Hijack #2, hey Reid, this is Jess, I used to ride with you and Lance @ RnR back in 2000. I had the white lifted chevy with the big a$$ RnR sticker on the back. Anyway's, just thought I would say what up and that yall are the reason I started a boat dealership (NorTex Water Sports) and wakeboard pro shop.

Back to the point, Oahu is the island to go to if you wanna hit up all those sports, keep in touch with Reid, he's the man over there. Oh and as far as the other islands go for the females, seemed like Oahu was the best, the outter islands are mostly couples on vacation. Honolulu is like any other city in the states plus a couple of colleges. (UH & HPU) Both very good!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-02-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
Maui

or Kauai..........

http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=240
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-02-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
ted, do it
Old    dabigkahuna            05-02-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
Oahu is where it's at for all-around fun. If you come to Oahu, you can join our club, check it out at: http://www.oahuwaterskiclub.com/1.html

As far as other things besides wakeboarding, Oahu has great:

Surfing
Tow-In Surfing (My newest hobby, and Damn it's Fun!)
Kiteboarding
Motocross/Dirt Bike Trail Riding
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
Jesse Stanley, the man the myth!! So stoked on your dealership. Thanks for the plug! You guys were a bunch of great guys that made RNR so fun. Hope you were able to learn some of the "in's and out's" of owning a store while in Hawaii. I was just at the old shop the other day. Brought back so much memories. Lance is in town and took a set in the "gauntlet". He said it felt so good. Much success with the dealership. Have you heard from Evan Morris?

Take Care!

Reid
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Yep, this is sounding better and better everyday!