I'm looking for an older Supra Sunsport or something similar.
Given the number of models that Supra made in the 80's and into the early 90's, and the general lack of literature / info online, the choice is somewhat confusing. Being from Canada, where there are only a handfull of wake/ski boats in the province, I'm trying to narrow my selection down prior to driving out of province / country to make a purchase. Here go the questions:
1. Did the Rider / Beast share the same hull as the Sunsport? I've read that they didn't. What's the difference if they don't?
2. Was the Rider / Beast the only models to have the aft facing seat on the doghouse (engine box)? Has anyone seen one in person? Did you like it?
4. Sunport windshield - what style do you prefer for driving - the early/mid 80's (like the Rider or early Sunsports) or late 80's early 90's with the mult-angle?
5. Which of the 19'-21' models come with big blocks? Do any of you feel that the extra power is required? Did they have a little more top-end or is it all holeshot?
6. Have any of you seen the "cuddy cabin" model(s) in person? If so, what are your thoughts? Could two 6'+ adults even come close to sleeping in there for a night?
Ex. Pirata - http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/1988/22
Bravura - http://www.tridentmarina.com/site_page_305/item_193889.html?listing_page=listing_sum_index_1. html
I've been debating the pros/cons of an open bow vs. the practicality of the small cabin. I keep my boat in a marina,
7. Dual swivel seats vs. the aft-facing bench to port? Was it an option? Did only certain models have it?
8. Bravura - is this the comp hull stretched 1'-2' with a small storage space in the bow?
9. Marauder - how does this hull differ from the Sunsport? It seems like this hull came in closed bow, closed bow with small cuddy cabin and open bow configurations.
10. For those of you with Sunsport open bows - do you find water ever comes over the bow? I like to boat in the ocean a few days a year and don't want to worry about water coming in. It looks like it should have enough freeboard not to cause a problem.
11. Closed cooling - have any of you retro-fitted your boats to a closed cooling system?
12. Upgrading from manual to hydraulic wakeplate (trim tabs) - have any of you upgraded your manual wakeplates to hydraulic or looked into it? Is it worth it? Did you have to reinforce your transoms? On other forums there seems to be differing opinions on whether or not to reinforce them.
13. Stringer / floor rot - are there any pre '92 Supras that are more prone to rot than other models? Late last fall I looked at an '88 Marauder that has been shop (large steel barn with concrete floor) kept for the last 15 years and it appeared to be in good shape. Some mold on the bottoms of the rear-bench cushions, but that's about it. Wasn't sure if keeping it inside a closed atmosphere would be worse for rot, especially dry rot, or not. Your thoughts?
14. Wakes - What is the best all-around hull for skiing (70%) and wakeboarding (30%)? I'm leaning towards the Sunsport. Those of you that have one, how is the wake for skiing? Understand really good wake if weighted. Any weighted / non-weighted pics?
15. Does anyone know where to find pre '92 Supra literature / sales brochures online? I've looked, but haven't found anything. Seems to be a common issue.
16. If you're like me and craving some Supra action while waiting for the ice to melt, here you go... http://wistreetscene.com/media/13014/3/1/1
Anyone else have any footage of their boats?
Anyway, thanks in advance for your info!