Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old    Matthew Bird (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-26-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Has anyone in California ever bought a boat in Arizona? I'm buying a boat in Arizona on Thursday and i'm curious what the process is to get a title and registration in California is.
The owner said that they don't have titles for boats in Arizona, is this true?
Old    Joe B (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-26-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
I don't know about those 2 states, but here's my recent buying experience.

Are you buying it new from a dealer?

The first Title is created in the State that will be listed on on the title. You'll take all your paperwork to your state's DMV Title Office, pay tax in California, and get the first Title of the boat.
I've done this process with my car last year and boat this year but not Cali. My car had a loan against it, the boat did not.
It's confusing and scary so call the Arizona DMV and call your Cali DMV just to be sure. Cali just wants your tax money...

If it's a used boat, every vehicle unless your buying a wooden boat should have a title. Heck, if you build a boat with your bare hands, you're supposed to create a VIN and apply for a title. I'd be surprised AZ is different than other states.

(Message edited by sailing216 on January 26, 2008)

(Message edited by sailing216 on January 26, 2008)
Old    Steve Amestoy (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-26-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
Its true Matt, no titles in AZ, basically your regeistration is your title.
Old    Ben (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-26-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
Matt- Great looking boat in your profile. I hope you are not getting rid of that one.
Old    Lionel (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-26-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
Matt, after going through the CA process recently. Pay attention to the last two sentences, talking about county taxes on mooring? Anyone from Cali have any experience with this? Here is info on how to register:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

Here is the application, the certification of sale on page 2 is for you and the seller to complete. Filling in a lower price would help for sales tax reasons!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/boat/boat101.pdf

(Message edited by lionel on January 26, 2008)
Old    266CrownlineBR (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2008, 2:26 AM Reply   
I have done 4 boats the other way...CA to AZ. Almost too easy. Can't help the other way.
Old    B Poser (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-27-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
I've heard that if you keep in registered in AZ, it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old    Matthew Bird (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-27-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
How would I be able to keep it registered in AZ?
Old    B Poser (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-27-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
I have a couple buddies of mine that do it. I think that they just use a AZ address for the registration. Do you know anyone in AZ that would let you use their address? I'll find out for sure and get back at you.
Old    Darin Gritters (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-27-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
You don't need a AZ address for the reg. There is a seperate form for out of staters who want to register in AZ. A few years ago AZ got wise to the fact that CA people were registering in AZ to avoid CA sales taxes. The out of state reg is around $240/year instead of $24 for AZ residents. This saved me at least 2.5K when I bought my boat. The trailer is still registered in CA, and there are still some fee's to pay to CA each year.
Old    Matthew Bird (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-27-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
It's only a $7500 boat and will probably be written up for less, so i assume that this won't be the best idea for me. But if i'm wrong and this will save me money please let me know.
Old    Brandon Burek (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
Done this with other things like Jet Ski and quad but not a boat. DMV will make you take the boat to them and they will record the VIN on boat and VIN on trailer along with some other info and they will create a Title for the boat and one for the trailer. They will issue you new CF# for you AZ# and give you a new PTI plate for your trailer. Pay like $20 for trailer plate and then you pay sales tax on trailer. For the boat you just pay sales tax and registration boat reg like $20 and sales tax on say 6,500 for boat and 1000 for trailer @ 7.75% = $578 depending on your sales tax rate. So you’re looking at $20 trailer reg, $75 sales tax on trailer, $20 boat reg and sticker, and 503 sales tax on boat. TOTAL $618 give or take a little. Only other thing is in CA Boats over 20' (I think this is the cutoff can remember) will have a yearly luxury tax but you probably know that.
Old    Brandon Burek (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2008, 10:10 PM Reply   
oh yea must have bill of sale and a copy of his reg when you go to dmv