Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-20-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
Ok, no brainer, pick a pair of 485s over 80's any day right? My dilemma is that I have an ht-4 to power my tower speakers, and I've heard that if you underpower these they lose their sound quality and what not. What do you guys think I should do?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-20-2013, 5:23 PM Reply   
Im not sure I understand the exact setups you are debating over?

A single pair of Pro-80's on a HT-4 in 2 chnl mode = 300W rms to each.

or

A pair of Pro-485's on a HT-4 would = 300W to each pod.

If these are the options, the are you looking for more of a volume/projection setup for boarding or an SQ setup for surfing/party-cove type listening?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-20-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
Exactly, which is what pro 80s are rated for, but the 485 is rated for 450, and I've heard that if you underpower them they lose sq and range.

Wouldn't projection be kind of the best of both worlds? In boat speakers and subs can handle the closer range. I'm new to boat audio so let me know if my thinking is wrong.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-20-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
With your given amp: The pair of Pro-485's will have better SQ close in then the pro-80's, but not quite the long range projection. if you want have the better SQ AND reach a wake-boarder, then go with the 485's, but feed them with more power. 400W rms or more.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-20-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
Alright. Looks like I have a decision to make haha