Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
Nice 85 degree day in Central Texas on Sunday so I decide to take the boat out. My buddies were already out in their boats so I was riding solo that day. I lauched, tied up my boat to the courtesy dock, park my truck, and start walking to the dock about 150yrds away. A guy arrives with his jet boat and I wave him down. I asked if I could hop on his truck bumper for a ride down the hill. He says, "No I don't do that". I think, "alright, no biggie...I guess he's never seen us do that for each other". I start to idle away from the dock, he backs his jet boat in the water and I guess he disconnect the tow strap because as soon as it was deep enough his boat slid off the trailer without him. He runs out of his truck and starts yelling at me to get his boat. I idle back and tell him "No I don't do that...go swim and get it" (it was glass calm in the marina and his boat was not in danger of damage). Water was a brisk 60 degrees but doable.

As I was coming in that same day in the evening. A brandnew Mastercraft X-10 arrives (dealer tags on the trailer). The guy backs it down the ramp like he knows what he's doing. Gets the boat deep in the water and doesn't get out of his truck for a minute or two. I guess he forgot to take off the transom tie-downs because the wind had floated his boat attached to the trailer off the boat ramp and basically jackknifed it against the rip-rap rocks along the ramp. He managed to wade into the water and push the boat back over the ramp and pulled it out of the water to disconnect the transom tie downs. Of course I said, "won't do that again will ya?" He laughed and said "I'm glad you're the only one who saw that".
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-19-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
Wow its early for the wallies to be out.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-19-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
I bet the look on the first ol boys face was priceless
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-19-2013, 3:57 PM Reply   
So I don't know if you put it but did he actually get in the water and get his jet boat?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHawk101 View Post
So I don't know if you put it but did he actually get in the water and get his jet boat?
He had to swim about 20 feet from the back of his trailer. Had the wind been blowing I would of helped but his boat was completely still just waiting on him in the protected marina.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       03-19-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
60 degree water? That's August temps for us damn near! Lol
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-19-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
Isnt karma great.. thats halarious..
I will admit I have forgot the straps before... but only once..
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-19-2013, 8:40 PM Reply   
That JeT Boat Story Is Awesome! And Yes.. ONCE I Forgot To Remove My Tie Downs Too, Luckily I Didn't Have To tread Water, Just Drive Forward And UNstrapped Them
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-19-2013, 8:55 PM Reply   
Should have pushed it out further You would have known who keyed your truck..
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-19-2013, 10:36 PM Reply   
No, I don't do that....hahhaaaahha
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-20-2013, 3:24 AM Reply   
i recommend to use the same red markers that use on aircraft "remove before flight"
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-21-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
I helped a new boater who was having trouble getting his boat to plane out. Turned out he launched the boat and trailer (still attached) - got clear out of the wakeless zone with the trailer under him. Perhaps the most brainless yet harmless thing I've seen on the water.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-21-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I helped a new boater who was having trouble getting his boat to plane out. Turned out he launched the boat and trailer (still attached) - got clear out of the wakeless zone with the trailer under him. Perhaps the most brainless yet harmless thing I've seen on the water.

^This is the best boating story I have ever heard. You go to the lake enough and you see things. Jet ski's run into boats, boats slide off trailers onto ramps, boats slamming docks, sinking boats etc. Good times!!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
Say what? A guy did not notice that his trailer was no longer attached to his vehicle??? Huh?
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-21-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
yeah I am not buying that one..
picture or it didnt happen
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-21-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
Ya total bull****. Can you imagine what that would be like impossible.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-21-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
Yet harmless. Lol ya right
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-21-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
I would like to see him trying to get it hooked back up to the truck
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-21-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
About 10 years ago I was just pulling my boat out of Lake Tapps, WA on the first nice Saturday in June- If you know the lake there's only two public ramps and the one that's on the far end of the lake has a staging area across the street and there were like 50 people/ trailers in line trying to get out of the water- you line up on the shoulder of the road. So we are all taking our time- waiting patiently, when this total A-hole comes blowing down the street in his winnebago pulling a trailer. He rushes to the head of the line, races across the street and cuts in front of no-less than 50 people- not kidding. Everyone is honking their horn- people are getting out of their cars and going right up to him to tell him off- he's totally ignoring everyone and runs to his awaiting boat on the dock, jumps in and POWERS around the dock sending wave up on the dock- pissing off the remaining people watching this unfold. He's in a runabout- an older POS actually- and drive the boat up the trailer super fast. Reaches over the bow and clips the boat in, then jumps out of the boat, back into the winnebago and starts pulling the boat out. This is where is get's good.

The motor is running, the engine is down and skeg is now dragging on the concrete . He hits a pothole and the boat literally lifted off the trailer, as the wheel went into the hole- that's when the outdrive separated from the hull! engine still running- smoking badly now and the boat crashes back down on the trailer- the dude just kept driving and the place went wild- everyone laughing- what a dumb A$$- but sweet sweet karma man!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-21-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
Jeez that was close...If he would have turned off the boat and tilted the outdrive up, and drove off super slow he would have looked like a rock star.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-22-2013, 5:52 AM Reply   
Chris dirty: http://youtu.be/GieQXc60D_c?t=3m28s
Old     (LFMCrider6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-22-2013, 6:07 AM Reply   
We were waiting to get my friend boat out at the end of the day. He pulled in between two boats docked and I jumped out to get the truck. Then he backed out from the dock to give others space. Now the fun starts. I pull down the hill towards the launch. Waiting for this old van and same old pos boat to put in. He is backing the boat down the ramp with the wife standing on the dock. I happen to notice that he never released the tie downs. As he gets the rear wheels of the van to the edge of the ramp. The trailer pops off the ball and breaks both safety chains that looked like the cheap chain from a dogs chain. Boat goes rolling in the water with the trailer still attached. He gets out of his van and yells to me are you just going to stand there or are you going to help. If I did not want to get out of there I would have let him struggle. So we get the boat back on the van. Instead if pulling out he continues to launch the boat. Which then did not start. Made for a great afternoon karma is great.
Old     (mnorris)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-22-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
People launch their boats with trailers attached more often then you think, usually they figure out the Fu*&ed up before trying to plane out though. I used to deliver boats in the summer and have seen countless times that people just back the trailer in until the waters essentially over their rear bumper and they unhook their trailer from the car.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       03-22-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
@will5150 That's why I stay away from Tapps. Seen too many of those on and off the water. Best to become friends with someone from the power company and use their private launch.
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-22-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
The guy who launched his boat with the trailer had just bought the boat. It was his first time to the lake - Pineview Reservoir, Utah. The boat was an older small I/O w/ single axle trailer. It was about 15-20 years ago. Still makes me laugh when I think about it.
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-22-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
One more good one. July 24th 4-6 years ago. A guy with a swamped X45 was being towed into the Bear Lake State Park Marina - Utah. Many boats coming in had bilges blaring due to huge wind driven waves. I think he thought he needed to get on a trailer fast as they pulled him in. They rushed and guided him to a trailer (not sure if it was his trailer or not). Either way, the boat was not all the way on - 4-5 ft back from the nose pad. The Ford Diesel started to pull him out of the water. The onboard water rushed to the back and poured over the transom. As all that weight shifted, it lifted the tongue so the back wheels of the Ford were off the ground. It was a comedy of errors.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-22-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
Wow I stand corrected !! I though it would be impossible for that to happen let alone for it to be somewhat regular. Lol
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-22-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
Some people do it on purpose.
Foster City lagoon for example.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-22-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPq_cyLDHyU

Not on plane, but trailer attached to boat.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2013, 2:34 AM Reply   
That's the fun/sad part of having your boat docked at the marina the whole summer.. You don't get to see the public ramp drama but you also avoid the public launch drama!!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-25-2013, 4:48 AM Reply   
I almost got into a couple of fights last summer from people pulling their boats out of the water then blocking all the ramps while they clean their boat and let all their friends out. It makes me so angry when people do this while three or four trailers are waiting to pull their boats out of the water. I usually yell at people. I am going to try a more friendly approach this summer.

Anyways, I guess I can tell a funny boat story on myself. A couple of years ago when I had my old Sea Ray I/O. My friend and I got done with a long day at the lake partying at the local cove and I was go to trailer my boat. My friend backed my truck up and I pulled the boat on the trailer. My friend winches the boat to the trailer while I grab my wallet, cellphone, and other items from the boat. We hop in my truck and I start pulling the boat out of the water. Everything starts going good until I hear someone yelling...STOP, STOP!!! I look back at my boat and it is laying on the ramp with the winch line strung all the way out. I was like HOLY F.CK. I didn't have a clue how to get the boat back on the trailer. A 15 yr old boy at the dock instructed me that if I slowly back the trailer up while he winches, the boat will go back up. So we did that and everything worked out perfect. The boat went back on the trailer perfectly. There was a minor scuff on the bottom of the boat but nothing major. The prop was already a little nicked up so I didn't notice any new damage to it.

Thanks to a kid helping me out it made things go smoothly. Needless to say, I have learned to check the winch to make sure it is locked in everytime now. I don't trust any of my friends to do it right. Lesson learned. Same friend almost stuck the rear end of my truck entirely in the water too on a seperate occassion. His excuse "I didn't know I shouldn't do that." Even though my friend has a lot more experience with loading and unloading the boat off the trailer, I keep him out of the process all together. I usually get someone else to help me.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       03-25-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
Man, I love these stories!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-25-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
That last one reminded me of another time in Everett, Wa when we were headed out fishing on a friend's SeaSwirl- we were at the dock getting things ready to go, when a dude starts backing his BEAUTIFUL 24 foot Boston Whaler down the ramp- it's on a roller trailer - you can hear it coming can't you?? the winch was unhooked and he went over a small bump in the ramp - and there it went- right onto the concrete ramp with a horrible ginding sound the Whaler came completely off the trailer. They had to PUSH the boat ( about 10 guys) down into the water tso they could get it on the trailer and out of there. I was frankly amazed at how little it damaged the hull- a lot of scrapes, and a few chunks, but it was fixable. The sound was horrifying for a boat owner!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-25-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
About 10 years ago, one of my fishing friends was launching his bass boat on a steep ramp at Table Rock (Mill Creek), and on a very cold sub-zero day. My friend fishes a lot, and ordinarily keeps his boat in a heated garage. But from time to time he leaves it outside, and he had done so this time during what had been a freak cold spell, when he had just been fishing 3 days before. (I don't think Table Rock freezes over except in some back areas).

Well he seats himself in his boat and has himself backed into the water. He says thought something was not right, but he undid the winch strap, started up, put the boat in reverse and tried to back away. But nope.

So the driver tells him that boat has not released from the trailer. There is some disagreement over who is responsible for knowing if the rear straps are attached. Without knowing what really to do next, the driver pulls the boat out to pretty high up on the ramp (my friend showed me where -- maybe 100 feet to the water). My friend gets out, and he and the driver inspect the boat and trailer (rear straps had been removed).

Then the boat suddenly starts slipping backwards. And then It just takes off like a rocket,. It clears the bunks and ... according to my friend ... slid like a 'lemon seed' ( ??? his description) all the way into the water. Evidently, it had been frozen to the bunks. But dipping it in the water slowly thawed the hold.

The hull and outboard were messed up, but eventually fixed I know, because he told me the story about 3 months later ... while we were launching the same boat and motor at the same ramp.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-26-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
Jeez, now I am getting nervous just thinking about putting my boat in, in a few weeks, and have boat slide off the carpeted bunks too soon. That would not happend I don't think. I love these stories too.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-26-2013, 10:08 AM Reply   
I never unhook my boat bow strap from winch until it's in the water. With carpeted bunks it's unlikely to be a problem, but I've read too many stories. I know it takes a bit more time and I apologize to those of you waiting on me, but I don't want to be featured on youtube in one of these stories.

I have forgotten the transom straps a couple times, and the plug once
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-26-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
I'd have a hard time believing carpet bunks would be a problem. Been launching my boats for 15 years with carpet bunks and the boat unhooked- they don't move. Rollers are another story- but it you have a wake boat, you won't have roller bunks.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-26-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Wet bunks in warm weather likely hold a boat. But my friend had trailered his boat 3 days earlier. The bunks never dried before the soaked bunks froze. Hence at first the hull was locked to the bunks by virtue of ice. Then as a thin layer of melt water formed between the hull and still mostly-frozen bunks, this created a slickness that let the boat slide away ... and then accelerate so fast doing so ... that my friend likened it to a 'lemon seed' being launched (as when you pinch one).
Old     (Bogdog)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-26-2013, 4:09 PM Reply   
When I was a kid,some 25 years ago or so, my old man Had a xtaski with a 235 Evinrude outboard on. One day after a day on the lake he and one of his buddies take the boat out the water. They've both got a couple of beers in them!! the lake we went to had four or five tiers used as staging areas with a +/- 8 foot drop down a steep embankment between each.

Anyway, I can still see it happening in slow motion. Somehow the boat unhooks from the vehicle and starts to roll down to the first drop off. it got down the first one and now with some speed dropped off the second 8' drop, this time luckily ending up sideways and not going further. The trailer was a write off and there was some minor damage to the motor but the miracle of the day was that no one got in the way of the runaway boat.

I think that experience taught me to triple and double check everything, which I do myself, no mates, no wife.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-26-2013, 4:36 PM Reply   
In cases where boats have slid on a trailer...a short 12"-18" safety chain to the bow-eye could have saved the day. I bet very few people even use or notice the extra metal loop at or below the trailer winch for the use of a safety chain/strap.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-26-2013, 5:31 PM Reply   
Not sure I understand the point of unhooking the strap before you back down the ramp...why take the chance? I don't think it looks cool and its quite humorous when I see ppl do it and their boat doesn't start and they're stuck floating out in the cove. I can just as easily have my wife back th trailer down, start the boat, reach over the bow and unhook the strap, and I'm out of there in less than 30 seconds. Same when loading on the trailer. Do u guys not hook up the strap when pulling out of the water as well??
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-26-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
AJ, I have noticed that metal loop and was not sure proper way to use. I am confused. You would have to bring an extra piece of chain or rope to use it, right? How do you use it? Call me stupid, but please explain. Simply just run a strap,rope, chain of a few feet from that loop on the trailer to the bow eye? Then when you are floating reach and unhook? How would you reach it? What would that do that just leaving the safety chain on would do?

You can see it in this picture of my trailer...it is contrasted by the black tire.
Attached Images

Last edited by scottb7; 03-26-2013 at 6:24 PM.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-26-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
AJ, I have noticed that metal loop and was not sure proper way to use. I am confused. You would have to bring an extra piece of chain or rope to use it, right? How do you use it? Call me stupid, but please explain. Simply just run a strap,rope, chain of a few feet from that loop on the trailer to the bow eye? Then when you are floating reach and unhook? How would you reach it? What would that do that just leaving the safety chain on would do?

You can see it in this picture of my trailer...it is contrasted by the black tire.
I think he's referring to the one u already have a chain on...have no idea what the other one is for by ur spare... No that would not be practical at all
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-26-2013, 6:49 PM Reply   
oh, your right, i see where the chain is....what the heck is the other loop for?????
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-27-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
That other little U on the trailer is there to lift the trailer when they are loading it on a truck from the factory- at least that's my guess.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
A few years ago we were boating in Parker on a Carrera cat and blew the outdrive. Got towed in to the ramp and made a phone call for a friend to hook up the trailer and meet us.

Swimming the boat on the trailer was a little challenging and took some extra cranking on the winch. Pulled the boat back to the house to take a look at the drive. After about 15 min the owner informs us that he doesn't have a triple axle trailer lol. Our friend had hooked up someone else's trailer in the parking lot!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-27-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
Lol!^ thieves!
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-30-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
I use the safety chain in combination with the winch on my trailer. And both stay connected until the boat is in the water running and both get connected before the boat comes out of the water

Sent from my iPhone
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-01-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   

Think ill use that loop for a safety chain this summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk