Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-22-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
I need some help from the cable riders around here. With a new cable opening up a couple hours away I need a new deck that will hold up on rails and hopefully get me trying some air tricks. The obvious choice is the Union or Byerly Jib but I want to know what people think about the Clash and Process? What are the pros/cons of the Union/Jib/Clash/Process? How well will the Clash/Process hold up without ABS rails?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
I don't ride park much at all, but boards that have some sort of beef to the rail (ABS, Urethane, glass rope/ kevlar) will last longer. boards that have just the traditional Fiberglas wrap on the edges will not last long if you catch the rail or nose/tail dead on.

just my limited opinion wait for more

Last edited by wakerider111; 01-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
Small Light, don't forget the Webb. Didn't you try that one behind the boat?
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-22-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
Stephan,

I have ridden the Process at the cable for a year, the clash for a two weeks, and the union for a day, so I wont really go in too deep with that one.

Union - decent speed, very tough, and lots of fun on rails (they arent my strength or favorite obstacles either) but I was able to "press" fairly easily, esp on the nose.

Clash - the one that was the old 3DS shape, and had a more of a primitive slider base compared to the current ones, but even then it held up pretty well for the community beating it took on that trip. Good for air tricks (had the 1.1 a-wings so plenty of bite, probably too much if you ask me), it had all the speed and edge hold you could ask for. this is the board i first learned air tricks on.

Process - this is my favorite board Ive ridden at the cable so far. like I said, im not super into rails so flex wasnt a huge bonus for me. for whats worth, i was still able to do presses, just not to the extent i could on the union. awesome for air tricks, even with the 0.8 p-wings the '11 came with (i think the '13 has the slider beams) there was plenty of edge hold and it released very quick. it also built speed and line tension in a very short distance. the durability was excellent especially for not having ABS edges and the simpler enduro base at the time. The large spine made it land soft from kickers and it never developed any stress cracks from hard landings (cant say this for the old clash). it held up great on rails too only some surface scratches on the base. If flex isnt super important to you i think the Process is an awesome cable board. Hope this helps.

Last edited by tom_paz; 01-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-23-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help gents. Yeah I did ride the Webb but was a not a huge fan of how it rode. It certainly would not be fun coming off a kicker with.

Tom, your review conflicts me further. I'm leaning Union but think the Process would be a lot of fun. I don't have much cable experience but the limited experience I do have was on a CWB Vibe and I really appreciated the flex on rails. I want to learn air tricks though. Dammit!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
I'm looking for a good board with a grind base, molded fins, and can hold an edge when throwing an air trick. I picked up a CTRL RX 4 months ago and love the board for it's edge but the base is taking a beating.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-23-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
Stephan,

if you dig the flex perhaps go with the union. it is a continuous rocker so theres plenty of speed. Nick Kamper at OWC does massive air tricks with his union without using any fins/beams. While this might be a little slick for most people to learn air tricks (myself included) im willing to bet that you could learn them fairly easily with the beams in, and they are so rock solid they wont break or get hung up on rails. the process is still fun for sure and might be slightly easier to learn air tricks, but it sounds like the union would be a good fit if you liked the flex of the vibe. And im sure you will get the hang of air tricks on it just fine.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-23-2013, 4:22 PM Reply   
Decided to go with the Union and some Process boots. I'm really looking forward to getting some cable time in this year and also interested in seeing how the Union rides behind the boat. Every time I've picked the board up it seems pretty stiff for a flex board.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-23-2013, 5:53 PM Reply   
For sure Union on cable. Great board!!!
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-23-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
I ride a 2013 process by far the best board I've had and rode! Pop for days, soft landings, very aggressive and builds crazy amount of tension from a small cut.
It's only down fall is it isn't very forgiving until u take the fins off.
I'm not much a fan of rails either, u can press with the fins off, but Raleys look way more awesome then rails haha. Though I'm biased as I like a stiff board. Also I love the fact that I've never seen another process at the local wake park.
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
good choice go with the union! if your ever needing any help at all learning air tricks, come out to OWC. We have the 2.0 with a shorter rope that is amazing for learning air tricks. If you want guaranteed time with just you on the 2.0 u can book a 1 hr cable lesson and u will learn an air tricks its very easy on the 2.0 with or without fins
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-24-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for the invite Nick. I found your video from the fall and you certainly have no problems with air tricks on a finless Union. I'm really hoping to give them a crack once our cable opens in April.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-28-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
Just got my new Byerly Jib today and I am pretty HYPED!

A little surprised at how stiff this thing is. It will probably be pretty good for boat bc of how rigid it is.

I wish it was softer though..
Attached Images