Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-17-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
Hey I'm looking to buy a boat. I would "like" to spend less than 20k. I have found a few boats that I'm interested in and posted them below. Any advice or suggestions would be great. I could potentially spend more if someone can convince me why I should. I ride fairly casual. Last year I landed a few heelside 3's and tantrums but I would like to become better.
Thanks
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...autique-247441
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...back-101683919
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-17-2012, 1:45 PM Reply   
Between those two the nautique w ins by a mile. I would really really look around for a V drive. When we were first shopping we were in the same price bracket. Went with a Supra Direct Drive. It was roughly a year later and we said F it and bought a V drive. The V drive config is just so much better for seating and IMHO produce a better wake and give you more storage. Couple. V drives around your price range.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31055

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=32293

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=32216
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-17-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Do you want a direct drive? Those seem overpriced to me. You can definately find a nice super sport nautique for under 20K.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-17-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
Yeah I'm just trying to decide if I want to spend that much. This will be my first boat and being a young engineer, I'm always checking the number$. Damn why do they have to be so much fun. Thanks for the advice and temptations.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-17-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Also I live in Chattanooga TN if anyone is selling or knows of a good deal on a boat nearby.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-17-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
Just depends what will produce the best wake for the price. That will be it's primary purpose besides having some room for friends to hangout and set my beer. So the V drive would be nice for the extra space but I just haven't seen any boats in that price range in my area.
Old     (F150Axis)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-17-2012, 5:08 PM Reply   
I would recommend a V-drive as well, I made the mistake of buying a direct drive for my first boat and then sold it three years later because the wake was just too small. You said you look at numbers; assuming you are going to finance, what is another 20-30 bucks or so a month more for something that you can actually enjoy for 4-6 years? Cut back a few beers a month and you can make it happen.
Old    sperbet            03-17-2012, 5:21 PM Reply   
For $20k you can get more than enough wakeboat. Get a v-drive as everyone has already advised. I'd recommend a late 90 Super Sport Nautique or even an early 2000 model Super Air. Also keep an eye out for the early generation Malibu Wakesetter/Sunsetters and Mastercraft 205 V.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2012, 5:25 PM Reply   
You just found the best wake for the best price and its not the moomba. I think they started making that hull in 96 and kept the same hull until 2006 or 7.
Just like you get better "pop" off the wake with different boards you will also get the best "pop" off the wake with a nautique!
Also by spending less than 20k on your first inboard is a good idea, because it will give you much more confidence when you put down $70,000 to buy an upgrade because you know that you are going to use the thing and also you will probably want to surf behind it, that's going to be a much tougher decision than this one.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-17-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
You just found the best wake for the best price and its not the moomba. I think they started making that hull in 96 and kept the same hull until 2006 or 7.
Just like you get better "pop" off the wake with different boards you will also get the best "pop" off the wake with a nautique!
Also by spending less than 20k on your first inboard is a good idea, because it will give you much more confidence when you put down $70,000 to buy an upgrade because you know that you are going to use the thing and also you will probably want to surf behind it, that's going to be a much tougher decision than this one.
I really don't think you get any more pop off a Nautique wake than any other wake. 2 questions 1 can you get as much pop as Rusty behind his Mastercraft? 2 can you get as much pop as Randall Harris or Dean Smith behind their Axis?I doubt it.Just say Nautique is a excellent boat with a excellent wake. That would be a true statement.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-18-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
I picked up a 2004 Sanger v210 last year for just over 20k and we've been really happy with it.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-18-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Wow, come on here and put people down! You can't win the wakeboard World Championship, big freakin' deal.
Nautique has the best wake out there, get over it! This is not a biased opinion, I own a freakin' Wakesetter VLX and when I hit a Nautique wake I go Higher, same board, same technique, same speed, same everything except the boat! I cannot be the only one that this happens to. Never have ridden behind a 2001 though, but would love to trade pulls with anyone within 50 miles from Ohio!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-18-2012, 6:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Wow, come on here and put people down! You can't win the wakeboard World Championship, big freakin' deal.
Nautique has the best wake out there, get over it! This is not a biased opinion, I own a freakin' Wakesetter VLX and when I hit a Nautique wake I go Higher, same board, same technique, same speed, same everything except the boat! I cannot be the only one that this happens to. Never have ridden behind a 2001 though, but would love to trade pulls with anyone within 50 miles from Ohio!
I've ridden behind 3 different Nautiques,Many Mastercrafts,many Malibus,Supra,Tige and MB.True the wakes are different but i can feel the difference on a Supra and a X-Star.It may have been the weight but i prefer a different model.I won't mention it since you already know what you like best.Sometimes it's not the equipment or the wake it's the rider and proper technique.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-18-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
I can vouch that I feel the same way with the old Nautiques. My knees ache after a day behind that curb of a wake. it would really be cool if the did a modern day boat with all of todays technology in that legendary hull!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
Mc 205.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-19-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
I was on a similar budget and ended up buying a 2006 Centurion Elite V. I was looking for the following:

Malibu wakesetter and sunsetter (late 90s to about 2001 are in the price range). Almost pulled the trigger on a 2000 sunsetter.
Mastercraft 205v
Nautique SS and SAN (late 90s)

What it came down to for us, was that while I wanted a good boat for wakeboarding, my wife just wanted something comfy that she could bring friends out on and not have it breaking down all the time. So finding the Elite V was a pretty good compromise. It's a great looking boat, and I am pretty confident that once I get some sacks with me on the boat, I can dial the wake in.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 03-19-2012 at 7:02 AM.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-19-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
I thought this looked like a good deal.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=32351
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-19-2012, 9:38 AM Reply   
Appreciate all the advice guys. I'm just going to keep checking in my area and hopefully a good deal will come up on a v drive. Are there any sites I should be checking besides here, boattrader, craigslist?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-19-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Onlyinboards.com
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-19-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
I too am a young engineer and i come from a non boating family. So i went cheap on my first boat. But still got a solid boat at a great price. I bought a 1995 Hydrodyne Grandsport... Hopefully going to take it out for the first time this weekend. Got it for 8750. There are deals out there in any price range. I can tell you if my budget had been up to 20k there would have been no question. Go with a Vdrive. if you want to stay in and around 10k direct drive is really your only option.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-19-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
Just buy a V-Drive. You'll end up selling your direct drive after 1-2 summers anyways. We've almost all done it.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-19-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
Yeah I think I'm going to commit to the v-drive. Now I just wait to find that deal. Probably an early 2000 model Super Air. Is this a pretty standard price?
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=32216
Old     (moseslakerider)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-21-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=2455

Look at this boat. You will love an old mastercraft x star.

Last edited by moseslakerider; 03-21-2012 at 8:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-22-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
how do the those nautiques and xstars handle rough water? Hows the freeboard on it?
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-22-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
Mike I would love to help you out but to get that boat to TN is going to cost so time and money that I don't have. I did use to ride behind a brand new x star one summer (2 years ago) and it was pretty nice. That friend moved away...
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-25-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
Of these 2 boats which seems like a better deal or would you keep looking if you were me? And is 700 hours a lot for my first and most likely only boat purchase?
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=32216
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31055
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-25-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
I'd go with the Nautique. 700 hours isn't much at all on a 2001. Only about 70 hours a year. As long as it has been serviced regularly it should be fine.
Old    sperbet            03-25-2012, 4:27 PM Reply   
I think those are both very solid options, both of which you will be very happy with. I'd recommend going and driving and riding behind both and just pick the one you like better.
Old     (other1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-25-2012, 6:49 PM Reply   
Those are both great options, I am lucky enough to have put in quite a few sets behind both boats (exact year/model). You really need to figure out which wake you like better, they can be pretty different.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2012, 7:17 PM Reply   
The Mastercraft has less than half of the hours.If it checks out okay think of all the hours you will be able to enjoy it before you even get to where the Correct Craft starts you out.I think it will be worth the difference if it checks out okay.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-25-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
all the early 2000 models, bu mc or cc are great core wakeboard boats, alot of them are still using the same hull or a very minor change in some model they have, the vlx's became vrides up till 08 etc etc. find something that you like, from wake, to looks, stereo etc. Just keep in mind that the more common the boat, the easier it is to sell when you are ready for the next stage. good luck
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-26-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
That X-Star has been for sale for quite a while. Since November/December if I recall correctly.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-26-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'm going to make some calls later to both owners and get some more details. I've ridden behind a few X-stars before and have been a fan. Not as familiar with the Super Air's wake but have heard nothing but good things as seen in the forum. I'm leaning towards the MC just because I will be pushing my budget as it is and would feel more comfortable with the less hours since this will most likely be the only boat purchase I ever make.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-26-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
are you a tall guy? bc from the looks of that xstar the owner must have been really tall, that driver's seat sticks out to me. I mean obviously no need for bolster here but that'd be something i'd have to change. unless it raises and lowers of course. i like the nautique better myself, i think it looks better and IMO has a better wake from the two. As long as its taken care of, the hours don't matter.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-26-2012, 7:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippi View Post
are you a tall guy? bc from the looks of that xstar the owner must have been really tall, that driver's seat sticks out to me. I mean obviously no need for bolster here but that'd be something i'd have to change. unless it raises and lowers of course. i like the nautique better myself, i think it looks better and IMO has a better wake from the two. As long as its taken care of, the hours don't matter.
315 to 710 that's like a Acura with 31500 miles versus a Lexus with 71000 miles equipped similarly.For 2000 more you could get the Acura.What kind of car could you buy for 2000 dollars?Would it go 40000 miles trouble free?Do a little thinking.How about at least 3 more summers of use.This is all based on if the Mastercraft checks out okay.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-26-2012, 6:33 PM Reply   
bu changed their hull in 2002, don't get an earlier model.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2012, 3:37 AM Reply   
FWIW / Pricing ideas

We just sold our 1995 Super Sport Nautique - tower / ballast / 2-axle trailer / audio system / etc etc for 16k
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-27-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
I believe I think more like you Robert. As much as I would rather have the Super Air I like the idea of potentially having the boat last longer. I won't ever know exactly how well either boat was taken care of or if one will be a lemon but I do know the hours. We will see I'm not rushing my decisions but the nice weather is making it hard on me. Hopefully I can get a pull from a friend soon so I don't make a hasty decision.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2012, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCo View Post
I believe I think more like you Robert. As much as I would rather have the Super Air I like the idea of potentially having the boat last longer. I won't ever know exactly how well either boat was taken care of or if one will be a lemon but I do know the hours. We will see I'm not rushing my decisions but the nice weather is making it hard on me. Hopefully I can get a pull from a friend soon so I don't make a hasty decision.
Good call on the value for the dollar.I would still get someone in the know about Mastercrafts to look the boat over.I wouldn't expect a lemon judging from the hours. What i would check for is neglect.Low hours sometimes means the boat sat for a long time.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-27-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Yeah I e-mailed yesterday and called today about both boats to make sure they were still available and get more details. Haven't heard from the Super Air owner yet but the MC is available. Apparently it needs a new ballast pump and to have the perfect pass reset. The 25k includes for the repairs to be done by the dealership that has the boat listed Apparently the current owner has a family and mostly uses it to relax and go tubing so was not concerned about getting it fixed. The dealership does specialize in MC (http://carolinawatersports.com/boat_...ry/newboat.htm). Why would the items be broken? Would this arise concerns with anyone else?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-27-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
LOL, if you don't want to fix stuff as it breaks, you'd better not buy a 10 year old boat. Stuff wears out. No greater explanation needed than that. You can expect as the owner of a used boat that you'll be wrenching on it in years to come as other stuff fails. That's the nature of boat ownership. Some of us even think it's kinda fun.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-27-2012, 6:39 PM Reply   
If you havent already... tell them to send interior pics of that x-star. Here is one from when I was looking at it back in like november. I sent them a laundry list of questions (basically verifying if this or that is functioning properly) and they never answered those questions. They still communicated but didnt take the time to go over my list. Probably a good boat at the right price, but for one of the more sought after boats to sit around and not sell... kinda odd.
Attached Images

Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-27-2012, 6:45 PM Reply   
Not sure if u noticed but that super air has a huge stereo that if u had to add to the master craft it would cost a few grand just for the tower speakers. The master craft looks like it is in very good shape ,but that drivers seat has been changes for a midget. I would not be afraid of the 700 hours at all. I sold my 2000 super air when it was 7 years old with more like 900 hrs and all were trouble free. That boat never broke down on me. Only thing I replaced on it that wasn't typical maintenance was a starter.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-27-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
I would bet that the master craft could be haggled a few k. I would not pay full asking price even in spring. People always list a little high just so u can negotiate. Tell the Mac guy that u can get the super air for less and make him deal.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-02-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Hey I found a new contender that is really close to home but I don't know much about Wakesetters. Probably going to check out the boat this weekend. What do you guys think.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-23-Lsv-274881