Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (andrew_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2011, 8:43 PM Reply   
Hey guys. Alright so im 16 ive been wakeboarding for a while now. Ive been working on the tantrum since the beginning of summer and i just cant seem to get it. I posted a video so check it out. I can get plenty of air and plenty of rotation. Its just that in mid air when im about half way through my rotation the boat pulls my arm forward making me kinda of turn around like you see in the video. So im thinkin that if when i take off from the wake and start my rotation if i just pull the handle in it should fix that problem right? Any tips guys?
Thanks.
Andrew

Last edited by andrew_wakeboarding; 08-13-2011 at 8:49 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-14-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
Can't see the video,but my guess is shoulders are not square to the wake at take off.
Old     (andrew_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Ya sorry about that. I need to edit it and make it smaller so i can upload it onto here. I'll have it up tomorrow.
So i board regular and i just watched the video in slow motion and im squared up to the wake it just looks as if half way through my rotation im looking over my right shoulder to spot my landing, causing my board to go to the right. I think thats my problem. I just need to look straight down instead of right. Does that sound like it might help?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
You look straight back over your shoulders,like your doing a back flip.DON'T turn your head to either shoulder.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-15-2011, 6:30 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a86B...eature=related
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-15-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Also when you come in, have your elbows tucked in like "alligator arms"
Old     (andrew_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Heres the link to my video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-6e1Kwhlw Check it out real quick so you can see what im doin. Its only 11 seconds long. Like i said before im turning my head a little over my right shoulder and that causes my board to go out...i think anyways. And alligator arms? K i'll try that. I usually have my arms extended but i should probably try that too.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
If you stop the video at takeoff you haven't squared up to the wake or extended your legs for pop.Also you turn your head.Try slowing down a little and that will help your timing.Then look straight back,like a backflip.
Old     (andrew_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-16-2011, 9:02 PM Reply   
I went out again today and I just keep doing the same thing. I tried it 4 times and I just cant get over it. It seems like ive done it so many times that its become somewhat of a habit. Now its just learning how to break it?
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-18-2011, 9:03 PM Reply   
Andrew, i was doing the same thing for a long time with this trick. You are getting the rotation and everything appears fine, except the ole frantrum type motion of your flip. For me this resulted from me not manning up and going all in for the tantrum. I would come into the wake and look more around (over my right shoulder) than straight back. On your approach to the wake, as soon as you get to the wake 1) take your back hand completely off, 2) keep your left hand straight (do not pull in on the rope) and 3) look straight back not around. If you do all 3 of these things you will do a tantrum. By keeping your arm straight the line should be tight and will pull your through this trick. The line tension is really key to doing a tantrum. The day I started making sure I did these 3 things I landed a tantrum within 5 tries. I was amazed at how simple this trick really was after all the years of trying. Hope this advice helps. I know it helped me land it, but most things are usually easier said than done. Good luck man. You WILL stomp this trick soon.
Old    alanp            08-19-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
probably already mentioned but if you stop the video at 8 seconds you can see your knees are already bent(alot) at this point you should still be standing tall. youre absorbing the pop of the wake. if you stand tall here you will have ample time to get the rotation.
Old     (andrew_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-20-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
Hey guys! Alright so i went out this morning at about 7 o clock and i finally landed my tantrum! I didn't get a video of it from the boat, but i got a video from my go pro that was mounted on my helmet. It looks pretty sick and my reaction is freakin hilarious. Ill post it if you guys want. Let me know? Thanks for all the tips guys. Its weird. the first time i ever cleared the wake was on my birthday a couple years ago. and now the first time i ever land my tantrum is on my birthday today! haha. After a month and a half of trying...TANTRUM SUCCESSFUL! Wooooooo! Thanks guys.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-22-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
yeah man throw it up! Congrats!
Old     (rickdic)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-14-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Good job dude! It took me years to land my first tantrum and a couple more seasons before I got 'em solid. Now, throwing 'em huge is my favorite trick...
Old     (daniel74)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-15-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
Great man!! I practiced also al lot,had the same problems you had and had some bad falls, but i'm jealous you did it so fast... anyway i'm very curious at your video, i like to see it!....
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-15-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
# 1 tip for me was make sure to keep my eyes open the whole time.. Here is a quick video from the other day on the Delta..
http://youtu.be/2zNefi7MPjs
Old     (micbergsma1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-17-2012, 5:23 AM Reply   
here's my friend's tantrum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQpxKauF0z8

here's my other friend's tantrum attempts, he did turn his head around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv7FnRdT790